What do dreams mean to you?

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My dreams serve three purposes from what I can gather:
1. sorting out information that i come across that hasn't been assimilated properly (I've noticed that when I doze off during class or work I wake up understanding stuff better)
2. playing out my fantasies (lately that's been flying)
3. telling me stuff about myself that I may not realise or am in denial about

I've had two lucid dreams so far, and in both I prolonged the dream. As the dream was fading out of focus I did what you would do when your eyes are out of focus and you want to bring them into focus. The second time I had a lucid dream was because, I suspect, I went to bed a lot earlier than normal so my consciousness may woken up somewhere along the line because I normally am awake. When I woke up from my dream it felt like I hadn't gone to sleep.

I seem to weave half-baked logic into my dreamworlds - when it comes to flying I could never maintain it until I realised straining myself kept my flying ability going, and that's worked ever since. I think I'm also gradually becoming aware of logical holes in my dreams (and in some cases making them more logically sound).

Last night, I went to bed thinking about the team I would use for my first battle in the cAP Tournament. I had much of the team planned out... but there was something missing.

When I fell asleep, I dreamt that I was in one of the cheesy stadiums from the Pokemon anime (no joke). I sent out a particular Pokemon and KOed my opponent's Pokemon with it. I looked at the trainer; it was the character in cyberzero's avatar. I had won the tournament, and several well-known Smogoners that I can recognize from pictures were applauding (Jumpman, akuchi, Doomsday, etc.)

I woke up and realized that the Poke that I had used would be quite a good way to round off the team. I've put it together on Shoddy and I'm quite happy with it (though I can't ladder / RMT / anything with it until I'm finished with the Tournament. I'll edit this post after the tournament ends if I think of it).

joshe

the best
I dream of the future. I dream I get a girlfriend: I get a girlfriend. I dream of a shutout in baseball: I get a shutout. I swear every fucking day is Deja-vu this deja-vu that. It sucks sometimes, but some things are best known before you do it.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That isn't really seeing the future per se, you have a fair degree of influence in the outcomes of those events.

joshe

the best
That isn't really seeing the future per se, you have a fair degree of influence in the outcomes of those events.
I know its not the future but, for the lack of a better word, I just said it. It's just that all I dream about is good things that I want to happen(and it usually does). I hate it a lot because it takes out the surprise most of the time.

i love how you can do wateva u want in a dream but u dont always remember to do so. agreeing with cookie how it sorts out random information in ur head, especially if an area is new to you and you dream of it and you dont recognise it coz ur mind hasn't properly absorbed it...

Well what some people have said dreaming is, is your brain basically putting all that does information into storage, while triggering some synapses a long the way.

Though i would like to see a good study done on why people dream about the future sometimes as kids and it comes true, but as you grow up it happens less and less to almost never. or never for some people.

Oh they surely have a purpose whether it is memory tuning or a needed brain activity during down time (sleep). The brain likely demands a certain level of activity for self preservation be maintained 24/7, hence the dreams. My theories.

Dreams have always fascinated me as well and I've had countless conversations about them with Brain and others in #smogon.

A fascination that comes from how powerful they can be, the brain creates a whole universe (although always quite an unstable one) in which a story is told. In that universe, all elements in it interract the way the Brains understands they should, giving quite strange results at times.

What's even better is the last phase of sleep in which it is possible to lucid dream and attempt control. I seek to do a maximum whenever that happens knowing waking up is just on the corner. I've always hoped we could dream while awake and fully conscient, something that would ressembles lucid dreaming, but alas...
That's always fun when you can do whatever you want in a dream. Like one time I was sitting with my cat and then I set it on fire with my mind powers and slammed it into a wall then started flying and broke my house and started making it lightning

Dreams, at least in my view, are like an escape into another world...weither it be a heavenly dream, or hellish nightmare. They are still an escape from the everyday, which makes me look forward to my dreams...if I have any, that is. Some of them give me ideas for stories, while others just make me shout out 'why the hell am I dreaming this stuff?!' And some...just make me want to fall back asleep, and dream some more xD

I think they serve generally as subconscious thought or more so things that you WANT unconsciously primarily.

Although this is not always true- I like a girl right now a lot and I consciously want her as well as subconsciously want her because I've had 7 dreams about her. It's subconscious thought in your mind that comes out in the only place possible- your dreams. If you want to have your own Pokemon and fly on Lugia's back there's only one place that that subconscious thought can be let out.

However at other times dreams may seem random. You could dream about going racing in a car in the sky, and really this makes absolutely no sense. But this can still pertain to some part of the subconscious thought. You may not think about it directly to make it pertain to subconscious thought considering that conscious thoughts can be delved into the subconscious part of the mind.

Hmm I know I have a lot more to say I just can't think right now. Possible re-edit later.

I think dreams are just things made to make spend several hours lying on a matress with your eyes closed a lot less boring.

It may be more to it than that, but that's what I think.

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I get inspiration from my dreams. Colors and new characters often come to me in dreams. :0 And when I'm lucky, the dream actually makes sense and has a story to it, which helps when I'm trying to flesh out a personality. :>

Well dreams in their essence are what you really want to happen or what your subconscious is concerning itself with. Late scientific studies have confirmed Sigmond Frueds Psychoanalysis on dreams and the role they play in balancing out thoughts with the brain. If you dream that you are on a plane that crashes you are inherently afraid of that specific event occurring. Same thing goes if you dream of one day catching all 493 pokemon... you can read into your dreams.

Well dreams in their essence are what you really want to happen or what your subconscious is concerning itself with. Late scientific studies have confirmed Sigmond Frueds Psychoanalysis on dreams and the role they play in balancing out thoughts with the brain. If you dream that you are on a plane that crashes you are inherently afraid of that specific event occurring. Same thing goes if you dream of one day catching all 493 pokemon... you can read into your dreams.
Actually, in some cases, that has happened to me. :/ I sometimes have preminisions about the next day. One time, I had a dream that in sixth grade, my progress report was going to have all F's on it, and I just laughed, and said: 'That so could not happen.' When I went to school...well...you probably can guess.

I agree with cookie, and an X-Act post I read concluding that dreams are where we visit a parallel universe which can occur in this universe and that is what causes "deja vu".

Alright I'm kind of freaked out now. I know this won't be taken seriously but I'm not joking around or trolling. My whole dream can be summed up in one sentence:

The Office (US) with heroes powers.

I don't even know what to say really except Dwight Shrute was killing people with telekinetic powers. He kept dropping people off a tin roof and Jim Halpert was like the cyclops and that indian woman was like storm.

I don't know what this dream is supposed to mean but god damn I feel embarrassed. I feel like this is the type of bad fanfiction I'd write to annoy my friends like the yu-gi-oh X Harry Potter one one of my friends linked me to.

I mean, I've had dreams where people who I've met but haven't met each other have had realistic conversations with one another but this was different.

Fucking weird. Whenever I have naps I have to most stupid dreams.

eh, dreams are often weird. When I was having lucid dreams six or seven times a week it was far preferable to the real world.. I don't get to run around a mansion killing dragons and finding treasure in the real world.. or jump through portals in an otherworldly theme park so I could get the guy I suspect got me fired from work and punch him in the face.. or dive off the highest diving board in a shopping mall so I could swim under the shops to a super-secret super awesome tattoo parlour who pierced my sides and ribboned me.. Ah. Fucking real world, why can't I spend more time asleep?

Lucid dreams are perfect. Fantasy, magic, no lasting consequences.

Every dream I have is like an adventure to me. It's never the same thing twice; in one dream, I think of school ending and preparing to leave on a trip to somewhere (only to find out that I wake up the second before we're done packing), and in another, I dream that some fictional characters actually exist (Naminé from the Kingdom Hearts series in particular (I have a nerdy crush on her)) and I do stuff with them.

I think it's only a matter of time before I dream about Pokémon battles working the other way around (Pokémon battle with humans), and me being one of the people used in battle. I can imagine myself waking up right before a "Garchomp" hits me with an Outrage, too (or even better: a "Breloom" using Spore).

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
Hmm when i lucid dream, i usually try flying but it does not work, or i go shopping and buy freaking awesome stuff, only to wake up and realize it is not there. =[ The worst nightmare i had was getting chased around a Forrest by a huge paper plane. Freaking scary.

Also Akutchi, have you ever tried Flying? or Exploring new countries? It's pretty hard for me to remember to do stuff like that ._.

Edit: When i was younger, i dreamt about watching tv on sunday, sunday the next day i swear the EXACT same programs was on the TV. I was so freaked out, i did not know if i had actually dreamt it, or if my mind was playing games o.o

Hmm when i lucid dream, i usually try flying but it does not work, or i go shopping and buy freaking awesome stuff, only to wake up and realize it is not there. =[ The worst nightmare i had was getting chased around a Forrest by a huge paper plane. Freaking scary.

Also Akutchi, have you ever tried Flying? or Exploring new countries? It's pretty hard for me to remember to do stuff like that ._.

Edit: When i was younger, i dreamt about watching tv on sunday, sunday the next day i swear the EXACT same programs was on the TV. I was so freaked out, i did not know if i had actually dreamt it, or if my mind was playing games o.o
Oh yes. Flying, a lot. One of the lucid dreams I remember most fondly was me and this incredibly hot chick in stockings (oh god) were on the run from a police and staying in a hotel.. except I could fly, so I went breaking into windows and stealing people's food. It was ace.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
if i ever have lucid dreams i immediately conjure several naked women and proceed from there

I think my first lucid dream was about Neopets of all things. In it I logged on and found out that I could make infinite Neopoints. So I bought everything I had ever wanted. I then woke up and logged on immediately only to find that it wasn't real. At some point I joined Hack This Site in order to learn how to hack Neopets and make give myself infinite Neopoints (I was eight at the time). I later had a dream in which me and several random people hacked Neopets. This time we were "inside" Neopets. We were converted into data (I was a Gengar) and we messed with the internal system by using our powers and ripping cables and stuff.

There is one dream I have had over three times. In it I am a Red-headed protagonist. I train things similar to Pokemon and my first companion was some blue seal type thing. It eventually evolved into a giant horned whale that allowed me to cross the ocean safely. Later on I could make it turn into a giant flying sting ray.

I am not sure if they are truly lucid dreams because I am unsure as to whether or not I was actually controlling the events that transpired. I just wish that my next one could put me in a normal situation rather than in a video game. Flying in a video game isn't that spectacular. Flying in a "real world" setting would be pretty cool. Although I will admit that going on my own Pokemon adventure was awesome.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh man I'm jealous - I've been waiting all my life to have the "Pokemon is real!" dream and it still hasn't happened.

To my mind's credit, however, most of my lucid dreams are exciting murder mysteries in which I play a key role (sometimes I am the detective, sometimes I am an independent party who just wants to solve the case). They usually involve great danger and often conclude with my own death, at which point I wake up. There have been quite a lot of times when I have woken up in the middle of the story, realized what was going on, and then gone back to sleep despite not really being tired because "I wanted to see how it ends."

I have also had the flying dream, and it is definitely a lot of fun. One of the humorous things about them for me is that I sometimes have to flap my arms to get myself to fly. It always seems appropriate in the dream but when I wake up I realize that I probably looked really retarded x_x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)