What do dreams mean to you?

Oh man I'm jealous - I've been waiting all my life to have the "Pokemon is real!" dream and it still hasn't happened.
Oh don't be too jealous. It wasn't really a "Pokemon is real". It was a video game, except I was in the video game as the main character. The graphics sucked too. It looked similar to Pokemon Snap. Not to say that it was bad, but it isn't nearly as awesome as catching Pokemon in a real life situation.

Oh man I'm jealous - I've been waiting all my life to have the "Pokemon is real!" dream and it still hasn't happened.
Oh man I had one of those and I was seriously pissed/disappointed for a few hours after waking up

I hate having dreams that are 'feel' extremely real (I have all pokemon cards (this was back when having pokemon cards was cool), being rich, etc) and then I wake up and 'NOPE HAHA'. :/ Should stop being too materialistic.

When I remember my dreams, they seem to accurately (in a twisted way) reflected my [current] fears, dilemmas, etc. Like, a few years ago my mom was hounding me for getting a sweater dirty and she recently bought me this nice white one, of course I was extremely afraid of getting in dirty and that's maybe when I started being paranoid of being clean all the time... Well anyway, I had a dream where I was on a field trip to coco mountains (from mario kart 64) and we had to cross a lake of chocolate, but I fell in and had to swim across. Everyone was super PO'd at me for getting dirty but I just brushed off all the chocolate and was completely spotless. I guess it meant that getting dirty isn't that bad, clothes are washed for a reason...

My dreams mean nothing to me. They are entertainment, at best.

I read a study a while back (tried google for it for some time, but I couldn't find an online version of it), and it suggested that dreams are merely the mind's way of sorting out outer impulses and things we absorb from the world around us.

This would support the argument that we can not live without our dreams, especially since some people who have been using sleep-inducing medication for longer periods of time has shown signs of personality disorder perhaps caused by lack of dreaming.

I just had a dream about being in an elevator, listening to the music. I suspect that this may be some reference to the CAP TL discussion, especially since I went to bed shortly after making this post. So I was standing in this elevator, nothing special was happening, and all of a sudden, I wake up with a slight jump, covered in sweat.
It could just be you have a deep rooted fear of me ;P Or maybe you were scared I would lose (YOU JINXED IT JERK!)?

I usually don't remember my dreams (like I'd say I remember one dream a week? Maybe less?), but when I do they seem to be related to things that have recently happened to me. I remember I had one dream about my mom having a standoff with my neighbor because the neighbor's dogs poop on the lawn we share and leave dead spots on it. My mom had kept going on and on about it for the days leading up to the dream, so I guess it makes sense.

As cool as X-Act's theory is, it is likely (and sadly) improbable because of lucid dreaming. I would assume Brain's theory is a bit more likely, or Freud's. Speaking of lucid dreaming, I've never had/remembered having one. Though of course like TAY I'm waiting for the pokemon-are-real dream... maybe one day... =(

I hate just waking up with a jump. Especially when it happens 'randomly', or worse, when you're going to get to the 'good part' of a dream

I'm glad I read this thread though, because it inspired me to look up some things about dreaming.

(first cong post go!)

My dreams are usually a fantasy(I'm not saying nor implying which type), something embarassing that happens to me in school that will never happen in real life or something about my past. Some of them I like while others I don't like or I'll say to myself, "What was that/That was weird."

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
Oh yes. Flying, a lot. One of the lucid dreams I remember most fondly was me and this incredibly hot chick in stockings (oh god) were on the run from a police and staying in a hotel.. except I could fly, so I went breaking into windows and stealing people's food. It was ace.
o.o Awesome! I once tried flying, but got a sensation of falling and imidietley woke up... How cool, a police chase! (I wish i had incredibly hot chicks in stockings in my dreams!)

Also, nice pun ^^,

Typically, my dreams only consist of me in a fantasy setting, something very unrealistic happens, or something really weird.

My last dream was interesting, yet very strange. I met an 8'6, super voluptuous woman who was a supermodel. She came up to me, said a few flirty words, sat down, and told me to sit down. I pursue to sit on her lap, and as I started to touch one of her breasts, I woke up!

Ok so I had a wierd experience with dreams this morning. I was really tired when I woke up cuz I had stayed up too late, and I was about to get out of bed when I fell back to sleep and actually dreamed I was getting ready for school (I was brushing my teeth, getting dressed, stuff like that). It might have been one of those "lucid" dreams you guys are talking about cuz in the back of my head I knew it was only a dream, but the dream seemed to last almost an hour but when I woke up from my alarm, only ten minutes had passed.

Oh and I wish I could have dreams of flying and hot chicks in stockings =p

Edit: Since you guys are saying you can only remember dreams if you wake up from them, I'm going to set my alarm for around 5 am then see if I remember anything...I'll post what my dream was about. Before I go to bed I'll think alot about darkrai or hot chicks and see if they are in my dreams...

I used to remember a lot of my dreams, now I can't be bothered to make the effort to try and remember them. They used to revolve around my now ex girlfriend, now its random stuff.

I have had the pokemon dream before, it was actually pretty cool.

I also remeber dreams very rarely. Which is probably for the best seeing as those that I do remember are generally very sick and twisted. Although at least I have got past the stage where I used to have the same dream every night of being tortured. Hopefully now they've stopped I'm a little less fucked up now? who knows.

I have dreams about once a month or less nowdays...I used to have WAY more dreams when I was REALLY young at maybe 5-6 years old? I can't remember many dreams really. I am STILL waiting for the 'Pokemon is real' dream, strange how I didn't have it when I still dreamed quite a bit and had no social life or anything apart from Pokemon...

Lol I pwn all your dreams xD

I once dreamt about a Jirachi tryin to gun me down with a machine pistol across a really short hallway...and failed

In the same dream, I also had Kobe Bryant chase me (in a building and then outside it) with 2 double-barrel shotguns on both of his hands. At one time, I was trapped in a bathroom and I looked in my wallet and said "Oh **** I left my machine pistol at home!" And I don't know the exact reason why Kobe was there in my dream.

Well, I believe dreams are something like brain maintienance. Since at night, almost all bodily functions slow down, and they are in this state for more or less 8 hours (depending on someone's sleep), and this 8 hours may make your mind "rusty". (This is only a guess ;D)

I also rarely remember my dreams, though this time, I was fortunate enough to remember this dream, and so far this one's the most epic that I've ever had (or remembered)

Though I never had a pokemon dream before :( The closest one I got is the one I mentioned earlier, where Jirachi machine pistol'ed me xD

I don't have dreams regularly, though when I have dreams they're usually significant and last me through my sleep. One very odd thing is though, sometimes when I experience something in real life (entering a new classroom at the start of the school term, going to some new random place), I sometimes realize that I've actually been to/seen that place in my dreams!

When I discover these things, I can't specifically remember what happened during that particular dream, but still, I find it odd, up to this day. Am I just weird or has anyone else experienced this?

For some reason, I rarely EVER have dreams. I can't remember ANY good dreams I had. Is this normal?
Yes it is. The problem with remembering dreams is that a dream is in real time very short (some studies suggest that the activity in the brain that would qualify as a dream only lasts a couple of seconds at a time) and then the information is discarded. Unless you are on some kind of sedative medicine, you dream each and every night. To remember a dream, however, you have to wake up almost directly after it.

I can go months at a time without remembering a single dream.

Wrong. There is nothing stopping you remembering lots of your dreams. The key to remembering them is to replay them once you wake up. Your first thoughts usually when you wake up (moreso when you are interrupted in your sleep and the dream is a vivid one) about your dream. Most people instead choose to continue their day normally. The exception being in weird dreams (such as the above guys Jirachi/Kobe Bryant dream) where its so weird, you think about it over and over, thus keeping it in your brain, remembering it. Its true you have numerous dreams over the night though, I have woken up and remembered about 4 or 5 of my dreams quite a few times though, which disproves your theory as it would be impossible for me to wake up after 5 dreams because they physically cannot happen at the same time.

When I dream about anything that doesn't make sense or isn't logical, I wake up.

Ex;
I'm in the middle of a hot African desert then all of the sudden it starts snowing.
I look up and the sky changes colors from blue, then purple, and then green.

I normally dont remember what I dream about unless it was something really, really strange or disturbing. Rarely, my dreams consist of me doing something further on in the future (like a day or two ahead, though sometimes it can go as far as a week) and something completely random happening (which wakes me up), but I normally dont remember the details of such a dream vividly...so I'm just left with a feeling of deja vu when the timeframe I dreamed about comes around. =/

Everyone has dreams, it's just very easy to forget them. when you are asleep, about the first and last 10% are a sort of mid sleep, then you get a very deep sleep(60%), which shouldn't be interupted. If you wake up around this time, you won't remember it, and will often go back to sleep again straight away.

After the deeper sleep you get a very light sleep before the last stage, this is when you will dream. And is why an odd/scary dream can often wake you a bit earlier. And these tend to be thee most memorable.

I forget most dreams completely. However i sometimes get odd Deja-voo moments, where i remember a part of my dream, then remember my whole dream. I got this in a biology exam once, and found myself thinking about a red window on the floor, surronded by train tracks for around 10 minutes. I have just realised how stupid that sounds.

What i don't know is: Is what you dream affected by your day, or what you are thinking of before you go to sleep? In this case, would it prehaps be plausible to construct a dream, with complete control?

Wrong. There is nothing stopping you remembering lots of your dreams. The key to remembering them is to replay them once you wake up. Your first thoughts usually when you wake up (moreso when you are interrupted in your sleep and the dream is a vivid one) about your dream. Most people instead choose to continue their day normally. The exception being in weird dreams (such as the above guys Jirachi/Kobe Bryant dream) where its so weird, you think about it over and over, thus keeping it in your brain, remembering it. Its true you have numerous dreams over the night though, I have woken up and remembered about 4 or 5 of my dreams quite a few times though, which disproves your theory as it would be impossible for me to wake up after 5 dreams because they physically cannot happen at the same time.
Granted, but most of the time you don't even remember your dreams when you wake up. It's hard to think about a dream you had when you don't even remember that you dreamed, let alone what those dreams was about.

But that is just it, everyone does remember the dreams immediately when they wake up (assuming they had a proper nights sleep, and thus was able to dream) but they just forget them. For example, I remember having two very seperate dreams last night, reason why I remembered them is because I got woken up suddenly by my brother playing his drums, otherwise I most likely would have got up gradually and thought about staying in be over the dreams that I had, leading me to forget them.

Have you ever heard of a dream diary? You write in it as soon as you wake up whatever dream you remember. It is very effective as stupid as it sounds. The more you do it, the more detail you are able to get in too making it better and better for you to look back over your dreams.

Yes, you can control your dreams, quite often if you think about a thought before you go to sleep (and remember the dream in the morning), the two things are correlated. There have also been studies that dreams are effected by things when you are asleep, which I also believe. For example, one study put red tinted glasses on people for days on end, and eventually, their dreams was also tinted red (or at least they described them like that), another study involved the bed the person was sleeping on being soaked half way through the night, this went into their dreams as if the person was getting soaked, by for instance, a hose. I have had numerous times where as I was slowly waking up, I'd go back to sleep but would have left the TV on, and whatever was on the TV would then insignificantly push itself into my dream.

"I have dreams about once a month or less nowdays." You always have dreams, you only remember them if you think about them.

And someone in this thread mentioned having 10 Minute long dreams...It only lasts for 3 Seconds, it just seems so long. This is something everyone who knows about psychology should know.

I don't have dreams regularly, though when I have dreams they're usually significant and last me through my sleep. One very odd thing is though, sometimes when I experience something in real life (entering a new classroom at the start of the school term, going to some new random place), I sometimes realize that I've actually been to/seen that place in my dreams!

When I discover these things, I can't specifically remember what happened during that particular dream, but still, I find it odd, up to this day. Am I just weird or has anyone else experienced this?
Yes I have! I always thought I was crazy or something but sometimes I'm doing something random like walking up a staircase in a house I've never been in, but it seems like I've seen it before. I wonder why this happens sometimes...

Yes, you can control your dreams, quite often if you think about a thought before you go to sleep (and remember the dream in the morning), the two things are correlated. There have also been studies that dreams are effected by things when you are asleep, which I also believe. For example, one study put red tinted glasses on people for days on end, and eventually, their dreams was also tinted red (or at least they described them like that), another study involved the bed the person was sleeping on being soaked half way through the night, this went into their dreams as if the person was getting soaked, by for instance, a hose. I have had numerous times where as I was slowly waking up, I'd go back to sleep but would have left the TV on, and whatever was on the TV would then insignificantly push itself into my dream.
Yea I've experienced this before where I'm asleep but people are talking or watching TV and the noises get added into my dream. The best example of this would be how one time I was dreaming of running a race when all of a sudden there was a loud beeping sound that kept getting louder and louder but I just kept running until I actually woke up to my screaming alarm clock.

How many of you that cannot remember your dreams or have violent dreams nightly are overweight/snore/are extremely tired during the day?

I'm a PSGT (I do sleep studies) and I don't normally deal with dreams but I had one patient who came in for a study with this mask that helps your breathe during the night (CPAP if you've heard of it). This was his first time wearing the mask and actually sleeping for more than 1-2minutes at a time. When he woke up in the morning he told me that that was the first night in years where he didn't have a violent dream where he was fighting or running from someone or drowning/suffocating. I've also had other PTs using this therapy that tell me that that night is the first in many that they remeber their dreams in the morning. Most of these individuals are up 20+ times an hour while they're sleeping due to apnea or other disordered breathing during sleep.

I know I personally tend to not remember, but there are the occasional ones, typically they're pretty powerful or upsetting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)