Serious when is violence acceptable?

Asek

Banned deucer.
So for those of you who havent seen it, please watch this. its very important.

As you can see from the video a purple hooded, pierced man roundhouse kicked a pro-life protester. He then claimed on twitter that he was defending the rights of women everywhere, and that roundhouse kick was justified. Should the groups this person represents be put on an FBI watchlist? Should he be celebrated as a defender of women's rights? Is a roundhouse kick a type of free expression protected under the constitution? What do you guys think?

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
From a utilitarian standpoint you have to consider the efficacy of a roundhouse kick for protecting women's rights at least as a passing thought, but from a deontological standpoint a swift kick like this would be strictly forbidden because it is political violence and suppresses another's speech

This one could go either way

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
From a utilitarian standpoint you have to consider the efficacy of a roundhouse kick for protecting women's rights at least as a passing thought, but from a deontological standpoint a swift kick like this would be strictly forbidden because it is political violence and suppresses another's speech

This one could go either way

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
A cis man kicking a woman to be some champion of feminism is fucking stupid and unjustified. If someone who is directly affected by the issue did it, I probably wouldn't condone it but I wouldn't think they're a bad person.

Political violence is sometimes justified. Fascists for example, do not deserve to have their voice heard. They do not even deserve to feel safe outside their homes when their entire ideology is built on a foundation of exploitation and oppression. These people deserve to be assaulted, harassed, censored, etc.

I really hate that people take it for granted that freedom of speech should be a right. Fascism should not be discussed or debated, it should be eradicated. Not all speech should be heard, or even permitted. I will always be strongly supportive of antifa.

There was an incident some years ago where a neo Nazi was slugged by a masked guy. I think that was brave of him and I want to shake the guy's hand. Fascists having a voice never leads to anything good. Fascism took control in Germany because it had a voice. That lead to The Third Reich. It's best to stop fascism while it lays dormant before it can have a chance to gain control.

No. In all but the most last resortiest of last resorts is it alright to resort to violence. The simple fact is that it doesn't matter how evil you personally think the ideology of the person opposing you is, when you resort to violence, you're the evil one. I don't care if you're opposing a facist / communist. The simple fact is that you cant / choose not to argue your own points that would convince people to your side and would rather shut people up to get what you want. Or worse, you think they're evil because of their opinions / beliefs and choose to act on that alone. Ironically by choosing violence over talking you're getting less people on your side. Your side doesn't come off as right just because you *punched a nazi* or *kicked a pro-lifer*. In fact, I'm willing to bet money that you added far more people to the victims side than your own.

TL;DR Something something tear out a mans tongue something something.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
the worst part of the whole violence debate in media now is how bullshit it is on both sides. the dude in that video is not bout it in any real sense. most of antifa are ppl who Really Critically Appreciate carly rae jepsen, or who find the handmaids tale a good diagnosis of society’s ills. no killers in the bunch. nor are there any among the rightwingers with guns, really. they just like being terrorists and doing pseudolynchings. it’s easy to hit a lady with your car or attack a black teen while functionally wielding state power. but who is really with the shit when the time comes? the truly cutthroat among young ppl: smart jocks and repellent debate pedants. it’s not going to be the drama kids larping in front of monuments. except maybe [redacted] on this forum - their metagame theory is french rev sharp.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the worst part of the whole violence debate in media now is how bullshit it is on both sides. the dude in that video is not bout it in any real sense. most of antifa are ppl who Really Critically Appreciate carly rae jepsen, or who find the handmaids tale a good diagnosis of society’s ills. no killers in the bunch. nor are there any among the rightwingers with guns, really. they just like being terrorists and doing pseudolynchings. it’s easy to hit a lady with your car or attack a black teen while functionally wielding state power. but who is really with the shit when the time comes? the truly cutthroat among young ppl: smart jocks and repellent debate pedants. it’s not going to be the drama kids larping in front of monuments. except maybe [redacted] on this forum - their metagame theory is french rev sharp.
Talk shit about carly rae and I put you in the ground bro, E M O T I O N album of the year 2015

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
He then claimed on twitter that he was defending the rights of women everywhere, and that roundhouse kick was justified.
Almost certain the twitter account this was posted to is satirical, since he removed his social media presence shortly after the incident, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless, I've always believed that there's never a reason to resort to violence unless you're genuinely defending yourself from violence from another. Have a different opinion? Cool. Keep your legs on the ground.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
Political violence is sometimes justified. People I disagree with, for example, do not deserve to have their voice heard. They do not even deserve to feel safe outside their homes when their entire ideology is built on things that I do not necessarily believe are true. These people deserve to be assaulted, harassed, censored, etc.

I really hate that people take it for granted that freedom of speech should be a right. Speech I disagree with should not be discussed or debated, it should be eradicated. Not all speech should be heard, or even permitted. I will always be strongly supportive of rich college kids LARPing as masked crusaders against a 75 y/o dead ideology and throwing piss at veterans and beating women who support things I don't.

There was an incident some years ago where a neo Nazi was slugged by a masked guy, who was later revealed to be a literal cuck who was into female domination and scat. I think that was brave of him for using violence against someone who hasn't used violence and I want to shake the guy's hand, as soon as he washes it of course. People I disagree with having a voice never leads to anything good. Marxism-leninism took control in Russia because it had a voice. That lead to one of the most brutal dictatorships in modern history, but it's okay because Stalin didn't kill people for their race, he killed them because their parents owned land. It's best to use our bikelocks of peace and tolerance while ideas I disagree with lay dormant before they can have a chance to gain control.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
it was justified i can and will roundhouse kick anyone that doesnt agree with me 100% of the time

for real, what was the point of this thread? i dont see it being a 2 sides type of argument
We need to use censorship and violence in order to silence the Right because there's actually a secret Nazi presence in the GOP that's totally like planning a takeover where they'll kill everyone. Thankfully me and a bunch of other guys (and girls, we make sure to include them by always putting them in the frontline during fistfights) from my dorm have formed an anti-fascist militia and we're going to #resist. Just yesterday one of our fellow comrades kicked a woman in the fucking face because she didn't support abortions, this is the example we need to go off of. We WILL fight anyone right of Mao, and you can bet we'll drink plenty of soy while doing it! #resist #yaaaasqueen #antifa #larp #dumptrump

Political violence is sometimes justified. People I disagree with, for example, do not deserve to have their voice heard. They do not even deserve to feel safe outside their homes when their entire ideology is built on things that I do not necessarily believe are true. These people deserve to be assaulted, harassed, censored, etc.

I really hate that people take it for granted that freedom of speech should be a right. Speech I disagree with should not be discussed or debated, it should be eradicated. Not all speech should be heard, or even permitted. I will always be strongly supportive of rich college kids LARPing as masked crusaders against a 75 y/o dead ideology and throwing piss at veterans and beating women who support things I don't.

There was an incident some years ago where a neo Nazi was slugged by a masked guy, who was later revealed to be a literal cuck who was into female domination and scat. I think that was brave of him for using violence against someone who hasn't used violence and I want to shake the guy's hand, as soon as he washes it of course. People I disagree with having a voice never leads to anything good. Marxism-leninism took control in Russia because it had a voice. That lead to one of the most brutal dictatorships in modern history, but it's okay because Stalin didn't kill people for their race, he killed them because their parents owned land. It's best to use our bikelocks of peace and tolerance while ideas I disagree with lay dormant before they can have a chance to gain control.
This... this is satire, right? Right?!? (Please be satire, please be satire, please be satire...)

Raidx

Banned deucer.
I thought that video was fake when i watched it. Anyways him kicking someone simply for not sharing his opinion is completely unjustified. Unless your in a self-defense situation or protecting others from a violent threat is violence justified imo (excluding things like the armed forces). Also i sorta kinda but not really think retaliation violence is fine but only in the most extreme cases, like if a family member/friend has been raped or even killed and you see the suspect in court and just assault them out of rage and revenge. It's happened before, and in once case iirc a dad killed his son's rapist while awaiting trial out of complete anger.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
We need to use censorship and violence in order to silence the Right because there's actually a secret Nazi presence in the GOP that's totally like planning a takeover where they'll kill everyone. Thankfully me and a bunch of other guys (and girls, we make sure to include them by always putting them in the frontline during fistfights) from my dorm have formed an anti-fascist militia and we're going to #resist. Just yesterday one of our fellow comrades kicked a woman in the fucking face because she didn't support abortions, this is the example we need to go off of. We WILL fight anyone right of Mao, and you can bet we'll drink plenty of soy while doing it! #resist #yaaaasqueen #antifa #larp #dumptrump
Poor attempts at satire aside, honestly this is still better than your average post

OK, to be honest, the threat level presented around the video is really over exaggerated. The irony isn't lost on me either that she was quick to call for law enforcement for having a camera kicked out of her hands, but was slow to concede that a raped 16-year-old girl with a life-threatening pregnancy should probably be the exception to her pro-life worldview.

Obviously, the guy's still a dumbass, but it was just a different perspective I got caught up in...

To me, this really wasn't worth 5m+ views (considering actual violence that's occurred in other protests), but interesting title + violence against woman is surely to be a social media hit.

*ftr I'm pro-life

Let's ask Richard Collins, Timothy Caughman, Ricky Best, Taliesin Namkai-Meche, Buckley Kuhn-Fricker, Scott Fricker, Cynthia Hurd, Susie Jackson, Ethel Lance, Depayne Middleton-Doctor, Clementa Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Daniel Simmons, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, Myra Thompson, Gerald Fischman, Rob Hiaasen, John McNamara, Rebecca Smith, Wendi Winters, Renuka Amarasinghe, Mary Forsythe, Andrea Bradden, Eddie Kang, Ji Hun Kim, Sohe Chung, Munir Najjar, Anne-Marie D'Amico, Geraldine Brady, Dorothy Sewell, Nabra Hassanen and Heather Heyer how violent those spooky scary SJWs are.

Oh, wait. We can't. Because they were murdered by Nazis.

And this isn't even the full list.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Let's ask Richard Collins, Timothy Caughman, Ricky Best, Taliesin Namkai-Meche, Buckley Kuhn-Fricker, Scott Fricker, Cynthia Hurd, Susie Jackson, Ethel Lance, Depayne Middleton-Doctor, Clementa Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Daniel Simmons, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, Myra Thompson, Gerald Fischman, Rob Hiaasen, John McNamara, Rebecca Smith, Wendi Winters, Renuka Amarasinghe, Mary Forsythe, Andrea Bradden, Eddie Kang, Ji Hun Kim, Sohe Chung, Munir Najjar, Anne-Marie D'Amico, Geraldine Brady, Dorothy Sewell, Nabra Hassanen and Heather Heyer how violent those spooky scary SJWs are.

Oh, wait. We can't. Because they were murdered by Nazis.

And this isn't even the full list.
[to the tune of the pokerap]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)