Social Where is your nick from?

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I made this name about 8 months ago, and now I realise I have no idea what the hell I was thinking when made it. Mostly you'll think 'dove' comes from Pidove, but if I think back it really came from the soap company. Then snorkle? Snorkel-a short tube for a swimmer to breathe through while keeping their face under water. Yeah, I thought is was spelled snorkle... to be honest I still don't get how my name was spelled and formed. But now I'm nicknamed snorkleduck, fun! How did I become called snorkleduck or duck? Imagine dragons

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I think I made this nickname somewhere in 6th or 7th grade, my favorite manga at that time was One Piece (starring Monkey D. Luffy) and my favorite series Gravity Falls. So boom, fusion ig. Fun fact, my first profile pic on the first pokemon website i joined was a custom One Piece "wanted" poster.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
SM was the most recent generation when I joined PS!. Z-Crystals were a big part of SM and Dark is my favorite type, so I chose my name to be the Dark-type Z-Crystal. Apparently at that time SM had been out for almost a year, so maybe I was lucky Darkinium still wasn't taken on both PS! and Smogon.

My current username was created when I was 14 combining Luke Skywalker and Captain America thus combining two fandoms (Star Wars and Marvel) that I was (and still am) a part of. I have also gone under many other usernames in my time on Smogon and Showdown including:
  • Christiangamer was my first username on Showdown and I made this when I was 13 and had no personality whatsoever aside from the two things in the username itself. I don't know how I made friends back then lol
  • Captain Skywalker was my 2nd username and the only one I've been able to stand for a long period of time.
  • My 3rd username was The Pokemon Avatar. In hindsight I have no idea why I changed it from Captain Skywalker. It doesn't fit me nearly as well even though I also love Avatar.
  • My final actual name change (aside from going back to Captain Skywalker) was Russell Bestbrook. God I hate this name so fucking much. I loved sports and particularly basketball back then so it made sense at the time but holy fuck this was bad. For one, liking basketball while still there, it isn't really my personality anymore, and for another, less than a year later I started to really dislike Russell Westbrook as a player and thus I despised this name because of it.

Well, something related to it came up elsewhere on the forums, so here's my name's origin story.

It wouldn't be innacurate to say that Pokemon was the first fantasy series I really got into, and thus my perceptions of what fantasy creatures entail was coloured by it. During high school, when I was getting into various fantasy books and tabletop RPGs, my preconceptions that things like Skarmory and Aron were standard fare clashed with a lot of material that labeled metals as 'unnatural' and had them separate from the magic system and creatures that made use of it. By this time, I was already well aware of facts like it being a giant metal ball protecting all of us from solar wind and some metals being findable just lying around, because being a science nerd means I know some random stuff. I was even less impressed when I learned the origin for some of the myths about iron repelling magic could have originated from bronze-age people being sore losers (i.e. they attributed being beaten by iron weapons to the iron dispelling their aid, not to the fact that their metallurgy was outclassed). So when I was joining a forum for my preferred tabletop RPG (that incidentally did not let the main nature-based class wear metal armour), I took the name "The Sideromancer" as a bit of protest against that trope, with the 'The' taking a stab at the rarity of metal-based magic. Since then, I've alternated between that name (usually without the 'the') and its anglicized form, which I'm using here.

I used to play a lot of League of Legends, and I was a Graves main at one point in time. So I wanted a new name with Graves in it. For some reason I thought of General Grievous from Star Wars (even though I don't like him, the movie version at least. But I decided to make a pun between both of the names, and thus GeneralGraveous came to be. I can't tell you how many people have messaged me in games, saying : "Hello there". I've had this nick for around 6 years now.

i really like :drifblim: but when i was writing the name i literally forgot its name, so i messed it up by accident with the name of :drifloon:, so drifbloom it is.
Also, CF are just my irl initials, so nothing extraordinary.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Back in 2010, I joined a Brawl tournament at a video game convention with some buds (and yes, I repped Meta Knight). I got pretty far in before getting eliminated, and the TOs had ask me for an identifier on the spot so they could log me properly. Idk why, but kid me thought Blitz was a really cool sounding word so I used that. Then it just stuck as my internet handle!

Windingsss

shine like jewelry
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So

I was playing Undertale a couple years ago and saw a video about W.D Gaster and started searching about him. Then i learnt that he talked with a language called "Wingdings". In those times i was already on PS, and i registered an account called "Windingsss" which is Wingdings but kinda deformed. Then i just kept using it and here i am!

i wanted to be Fantina, that was taken. Fantastic Fantina was also taken. Settled for FantinaFan. However, when i realized that the name I use in game for all my playthroughs (lindauna) was still available, i registered it on the spot. I heard that name once and really liked it, amazed it's not taken lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)