Pokémon Whimsicott

Status
Not open for further replies.
The advent of two new boosting sweepers that outprioritise her in Talonflame and BP MegaLuke is a bit of a downer though; you're in for a rude awakening if you attempt to Prankster Encore their Swords Dances. Then again, Erufuun can use those two as team-mates and utilise that crutch priority Memento to buy set- up opportunities.

Fun pokemon and nice to have around in a pinch.
Max-speed invested Whimsicott out-speeds SD Mega-Lucario. You are definitely correct on Talonflame, however. Whimsicott should not go anywhere NEAR Talonflame.

Max-speed invested Whimsicott out-speeds SD Mega-Lucario. You are definitely correct on Talonflame, however. Whimsicott should not go anywhere NEAR Talonflame.
ESpeed has +2 priority, while Prankster only gives +1, so Mega-Luke will smash your face in anyways. Whimsicott shouldn't be running 252+ Speed anyways, it wants to be able to switch into things.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yeah, i assumed it was a given that no sensible Whimsicott user would be running that much speed!

Since when is priority substitute a bad thing? Whimsicott causes a lot of switches, sub is the safest way to abuse that. No sweeper in their right mind is going to stay in on whimsicott after a swords dance, so against most teams, sub gets you an extra turn to annoy your opponent. Some people will bring in a slower mon that you can sub seed to oblivion and others will bring priority that you can slow uturn out on into something to threaten it. Sub may have been nerfed, but it is still a fantastic move. If you throw encore into the set, you have a decent annoying mon that works as a great pivot. If you want to paralyze something, use klefki or thunderous.
It causes a lot of switches alright...unfortunately, 90% of the time it gets something it can't touch. Notably every grass type in the game. So you sub on the switch and lose 25% hp as you're forced to switch out of that ferrothorn or whatever, who just gets a free layer of spikes or scouts taunt, and reacts accordingly the next turn.

In other words, sub = massive health loss for your pokemon and a free turn for your opponent. U-turn = tons of momentum for you after killing your opponents momentum with priority encore. Take your pick.

You said it yourself: it's a great defensive pivot, and you're right. But pivots don't sub unless they have baton pass. Otherwise it's not a pivot. I don't understand why you're scouting with sub when uturn scouts about 25,913.74 times better. No seriously, I did the math.

This is literally my favorite pokemon and I've used it on teams I shouldn't have. Im obsessed with it! I've laddered with it and Wi-Fied with it in every tier that its legal. Thats why i can tell you that there is no tier on any format that doesn't have a metric shit-ton of rock-hard whimsicott counters in it. U-turn bypasses them all. Sub lets them switch to those counters while you cut your life in quarters.

Last edited:
It causes a lot of switches alright...unfortunately, 90% of the time it gets something it can't touch. Notably every grass type in the game. So you sub on the switch and lose 25% hp as you're forced to switch out of that ferrothorn or whatever, who just gets a free layer of spikes or scouts taunt, and reacts accordingly the next turn.

In other words, sub = massive health loss for your pokemon and a free turn for your opponent. U-turn = tons of momentum for you after killing your opponents momentum with priority encore. Take your pick.

You said it yourself: it's a great defensive pivot, and you're right. But pivots don't sub unless they have baton pass. Otherwise it's not a pivot. I don't understand why you're scouting with sub when uturn scouts about 25,913.74 times better. No seriously, I did the math.

This is literally my favorite pokemon and I've used it on teams I shouldn't have. Im obsessed with it! I've laddered with it and Wi-Fied with it in every tier that its legal. Thats why i can tell you that there is no tier on any format that doesn't have a metric shit-ton of rock-hard whimsicott counters in it. U-turn bypasses them all. Sub lets them switch to those counters while you cut your life in quarters.
I mean, I understand that grass types shut whimsicott down, but you shouldn't be subbing until those threats are gone. I guess what I was trying to say is that sub is still a great scouting move on whimsicott.

Well, ya might as well run Magnezone and Gothitelle. Also, other than mega venusaur, gras types arnt that common so yeah. SubSeed Whimsi can tear teams apart after that.

OK just making sure, so whoever was complaining about you can't defeat Scizor/Volcarona because even with Prankster Encore the would have +6 at the end, well with Encore + Taunt + Leech Seed you'd stall him out.

OK just making sure, so whoever was complaining about you can't defeat Scizor/Volcarona because even with Prankster Encore the would have +6 at the end, well with Encore + Taunt + Leech Seed you'd stall him out.
You don't even need taunt to do that. Priority Encore will trap them into Quiver Dance/SD indefinitely.

You don't even need taunt to do that. Priority Encore will trap them into Quiver Dance/SD indefinitely.
But you wouldn't be able to kill them unless you U-Turn out and put a counter, which is not always available, so Encore + Taunt + Leech Seed not only gets them killed, but also doesn't need your Switch.

But you wouldn't be able to kill them unless you U-Turn out and put a counter, which is not always available, so Encore + Taunt + Leech Seed not only gets them killed, but also doesn't need your Switch.
Leech seed will kill them, the point I was trying to make was that Taunt isn't particularly needed, you're better off subbing up or something with your free turn.

Ah I see your point, but Taunt + Encore + Leech Seed would kill them faster. Your point is still there though, if you absolutely need no damage.

The set I was using is this.
Leftovers
Bold/Timid
252 HP, 196 SpDef, 60 SpAtk
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Taunt
-Giga Drain
I have found this set to work very well. Taunt the first turn usually gives you a free sub as their support mon will have to switch out. Then leech seed and you pretty much stall anything out(yes, this set has stalled out a Scizor).

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Whimsicott is staying in RU. That Grass typing compromises its ability to switch into Dragons because they frequently carry Fire attacks for coverage. The Fairy typing makes switching into e.g. Steelix undesirable too, but the Bug neutrality and Fighting resistance may prove useful. Stun Spore also received a nerf, so opposing Grass Pokemon will wall pure support sets. This makes U-turn a necessity, but Poison/Grass types will still switch in with impunity, threatening Whimsicott with its newly acquired 4x Poison weakness.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Encore
- Leech Seed / Filler

This is a moveset that I plan to test in lower tiers. U-turn after a Tailwind offers another two turns of +2 speed, which is enough to kill something.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Whimsicott is now able to use one of its arguable most important moves (Encore) with Switcheroo, as well as Memento + Switcheroo, so a set like this seems great for offensive teams:

Whismicott @ Lagging Tail
EVs: Whatever suits your team
Nature: ^
- Switcheroo
- U-turn
- Encore
- Memento

This set plays as a check to set up sweepers and a pivot / supporter to help your own set up sweepers find the free turn they need. With Lagging Tail + U-turn you make sure that your offensive Pokemon will come in unscathed, even if the opponent is slower and decides to stay in, while you also get to pseudo-paralyze any Pokemon you want with Trick (except from MEvos, in which case you just U-turn the fuck out), and the best thing is that the opponent can't get rid of the pseudo-paralyze effect with clerics, RestTalkers, or Natural Cure Pokemon. Encore is your usual weapon against set up sweepers and Pokemon that used a harmless move, while Memento is amazing for giving your frail sweepers that one set up turns they need. The great thing about this set is that it has a lot of utility throughout the whole game, as Whimsicott now checks a lot of Pokemon with its great typing (Dragonite, Garchomp, Zygarde, Landorus-T, Terrakion, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Gliscor, Breloom, Gyarados, Klefki, Latios, Latias, etc) and is thus able to force a lot of switches and get a lot of momentum for its team with U-turn, cripple one Pokemon in each game almost guaranteed (Trick), stop set up sweepers, and give one guaranteed set up chance for your own set up sweepers. This thing is like a box of candies for offensive teams.

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a moveset that I plan to test in lower tiers. U-turn after a Tailwind offers another two turns of +2 speed, which is enough to kill something.
To be honest, you might be well off running Lagging Tail as seen in Alexwolf's post. You can run Switcheroo alongside it to fuck with the opposing team, but the main benefit would be getting a fast support move off and then pivoting out with a slow U-turn. Manual weather teams don't necessarily like their weather starters being fast because that means whatever sweeper you bring in after you U-turn is taking a hit that it really don't want to take. Same logic applies with Tailwind. With Lagging Tail, Whimsicott can take the hit for the teammate. You don't even really ~need~ to change up the moveset if you don't want to because Whimsicott actually makes use of the normally hindering item.

For what it's worth, it still doesn't sound particularly good, but it sounds like Whismicott's best chance at a successful supporting set.

I've been using this as it OHKO all dragons (barring Goodra 252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 180-212 (46.87 - 55.2%) -- 14.45% chance to 2HKO) and its faster than every dragon.

Whismicott @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- U-Turn
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Switcheroo

It pairs well with Heatran BTW.

I've been using this as it OHKO all dragons (barring Goodra 252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 180-212 (46.87 - 55.2%) -- 14.45% chance to 2HKO) and its faster than every dragon.

Whismicott @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- U-Turn
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Switcheroo

It pairs well with Heatran BTW.
Why not run infiltrator and go through subs?

To help cripple faster Pokemon.
Fair enough, but once the specs are gone you take a power drop.
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 374-444 (104.7 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 254-300 (71.1 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Goodra: 194-230 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Goodra: 132-156 (34.3 - 40.6%) -- 36.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 165-195 (51 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 109-130 (33.7 - 40.2%) -- 38.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 218-260 (67.4 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd go with infiltrator and a hidden power.

Fair enough, but once the specs are gone you take a power drop.
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 374-444 (104.7 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 254-300 (71.1 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Goodra: 194-230 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Goodra: 132-156 (34.3 - 40.6%) -- 36.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 165-195 (51 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 109-130 (33.7 - 40.2%) -- 38.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 218-260 (67.4 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd go with infiltrator and a hidden power.
Each has its merits but with my team I am using it in, I want to cripple faster pokemon than be able to hit behind subs. I know the power drop will occur but it still becomes a good pivot because of it's typing. Maybe the EVs could be spread differently to a bulky spread.

Each has its merits but with my team I am using it in, I want to cripple faster pokemon than be able to hit behind subs. I know the power drop will occur but it still becomes a good pivot because of it's typing. Maybe the EVs could be spread differently to a bulky spread.
Ah, here I thought it was just a dragonbuster.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I do like the synergy of Lagging Tail + Switcheroo + U-turn, it's truly one of those perfect trifectas. However, I've traditionally used Encore/Leech Seed/U-turn/Memento @ Leftovers and I'd be hesitant to relinquish the additional longevity provided by Leech Seed and Leftovers; it's not uncommon to gain +6% Leftovers recovery as you Encore the opponent, +10~% through Leech Seeding the switch and then a further +6% from Leftovers (protip: U-turn Whimsicott is great but sometimes Leech Seed + switching is the better move) for a total of like 1/5th health recovery.

Lagging Tail Whimsicott seems like a better choice on heavy offensive teams but a more balanced style might prefer the additional longevity of Leech Seed and Leftovers. Both are good choices if you're confident/lucky with your prediction though.

Would Whimsicott running GrassWhistle be viable at all? GrassWhistle admittedly has horrible accuracy (though it does phaze through substitutes), but consider when it would be used: whenever Whimsicott switches in to an enemy move that is obvious Encore bait (Leech Seed, any stat boosting move, Dragon-type attacks, etc.), any half-decent opponent would know to switch immediately before getting hit by Encore. Since Whimsicott forces switches in this way, it could use GrassWhistle on the switch just as Chansey/Blissey use Sing on the switches they force as well. Whimsicott could also be used as a desperation measure against subbed enemies who are racking up stat boosts. It's true that GrassWhistle is unreliable, but I think these situations could warrant use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)