Why did you join Smogon?

NixHex

My dad's not a phone!
is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
Watched TheKillerNacho play DPP wifi matches on YouTube. I left a comment asking how Poison Heal / Toxic Orb Breloom was discovered and a long time smogoner aragornbird (anyone remember his current name??) sent me a very friendly PM and linked me to Smogon's analyses. I made an account in 2008 that I accidentally logged into a few years ago (same as my email address). A year later, I was learning RNG abuse on DPP and Emerald, and had just graduated college so I had a bunch of free time on my hands. I forgot about the old account (or maybe forgot the credentials, I can't remember) so I made this account. The rest is history.

The actual reason I got into competitive Pokemon was that most of the YT wifi matches had terrible background music, and I wanted to put cool music to my own battles.
I joined back in 2010 bc you needed to have a Smogon account to use... not Shoddy Battle, but the sim that came right after it that lasted like six months before PO popped up, I forget the name. Anyways I didn't start posting until like four years later haha
Pokemon Laboratory (Shoddy 2) required a Smogon account? This I don't remember. That was a good sim, I wish its programmer didn't go nuts and leave us high and dry (twice, I should add). PO and aeo saved our butts though.

Watched TheKillerNacho play DPP wifi matches on YouTube. I left a comment asking how Poison Heal / Toxic Orb Breloom was discovered and a long time smogoner aragornbird (anyone remember his current name??) sent me a very friendly PM and linked me to Smogon's analyses. I made an account in 2008 that I accidentally logged into a few years ago (same as my email address). A year later, I was learning RNG abuse on DPP and Emerald, and had just graduated college so I had a bunch of free time on my hands. I forgot about the old account (or maybe forgot the credentials, I can't remember) so I made this account. The rest is history.

The actual reason I got into competitive Pokemon was that most of the YT wifi matches had terrible background music, and I wanted to put cool music to my own battles.

Pokemon Laboratory (Shoddy 2) required a Smogon account? This I don't remember. That was a good sim, I wish its programmer didn't go nuts and leave us high and dry (twice, I should add). PO and aeo saved our butts though.
TKN's a classic youtuber that's nostalgic to a lot of us, I feel. He's still regularly making videos in the same style as he used to.

ayedan

formerly LucarioAidan
Had an account 5 years ago, (forgot the name of it) to look.at viability rankings then left for 3 years came back and here i am, still here typing this.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
That might've been it? I honestly have no idea what it could've been lol, pokemon laboratory isn't ringing any of the right bells though ... i believe aragornbird's current name is arkeis, however ^_^

I Joined because I like competitive battling... Or I just felt like it.

(Though I only post artwork of pokemon things as velociraptors, and silently browse the competitive battling forums without posting)

This requires some context, but I joined in February 2014. I had to look at my postings for this, but I vaguely remember some people mentioning how a TCG room would be nice on PS (which was removed at the time) and thought it was a good idea. As such, I created an account to suggest one in the now defunct room suggestions forum. I completely forgot that was why I created a Smogon account.

VGC, little me wanted to be a pro gamer.

Now I just shitpost on firebot cuz ultra sun/moon is literally the same as regular Sun moon. You can do better game freak.

to be honest at the time i was probably something like fourteen and i wanted to just get better at pokemon after floundering on shoddy battle for a year or two of not really trying very much to get good at the game, i was kind of sick of being a mediocre player and wanted more direction

inevitably i decided to make an account and join battling 101 and under the tutelage of a few really cool players i think i became pretty competent at the game (particularly gens 4-5) but i never felt like i really pushed myself as much as i probably should have? and i realized somewhere along the line i didn't want to be much of a competitor. in any case, i don't really play very much anymore nor do i post particularly often, i mostly just lurk old threads for posts i thought were cool when i was younger but occasionally migrate to the rmt/ou forums to see what people are doing there

occasionally i think of returning and making a serious effort to compete again but mostly i'm content to lurk for now, it's fun to see what the community's up to every now and then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)