Social Why did you join Smogon?

RachelTheFictionkin

Banned deucer.
To get free pokémon in the giveaways section and for in-depth analysis and the viability ranking list to help me when making teams for Pokémon Showdown and in-game.

I wanted to contribute to Smogon with something, fortunately I joined in the project about translation of articles of Flying Press/Smogon, and now I am translating the articles to Portuguese, I am happy about this.
Also, I would like to discovery new forums and have a good presence, like the Congregation of the Masses where I am new.

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
To join a SM RU SSNL, and I got to Round 7 so not bad I guess!

After a few months I started to use it for the Translations Project and my art thread (check this one clicking my signature!!)

Then I stayed here to share my feelings on Other Metagames and the Suggestions forums mainly. And currently I am hosting a tournament and leading a National Dex project, so I guess i've done a lot of different things here!

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
To find help when playing the Battle Maison after picking up my Generation 6 games again for a bit. I searched through a bunch of websites across the Internet with rubbish advice and was about to give up when I stumbled upon the thread about it here and realised that this place was different: it was where all the actually serious people playing facilities were. I beat the 50 consecutive games I needed after a bit of practise and carried on long beyond that using advice from the people's posts on there.

I knew what Smogon was for years before that, but not what it was like.

I lurked for ages and began to explore other parts of the site. I can't remember why I decided to eventually make an account.

I planned to get into competitive and take Pokémon battling seriously once I joined the Smogon forums, but I ended up chickening out because of low confidence lol. I'm here for the socialization forum now since I've got nothing else going on, but maybe that'll change over time

Pokemon Tournaments, and experiencing a higher standard of comp than general Showdown room tours, or laddering. Which I got, but dang this place can be a bit next level sometimes. :)

I actually had no clue why I joined smogon until I looked at my first message, and it was the day I joined to ask if we could have more sprites than the selectable ones on showdown. At the time I didnt know about secret sprites so it was resolved pretty quickly, but now I use it a lot.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I tried to be cooler by not joining when the other cool kids joined, but I eventually caved, so I'm unfortunately only member #210

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i think i had found Shoddy Battle off of gamefaqs.com, and from there wiggled my way to smogon dot com

it's fuzzy now but i can't recall when exactly i joined IRC vs. when i was only posting on the forums and still using the battle simulator of the times, but i was 17-18yo at the time of all this!! i joined smogon in july of 2008, a month before my 18th birthday

now i'm 31 and revisiting the site because SW/SH has rejuvenated my love of competitive pokemon and playing the game in general, i am ecstatic that it is much easier for the average player to team build and EV train!!! long gone are the days when i would bashfully ask a super team builder on the forums here to breed me the team i had concocted... now i find pleasure in breeding my own pokemon to my desired standards~

i am eager for VGC tournaments to start back up again around the US and around the globe, even when i had stopped posting here i continued playing pokemon and interacting with many individuals i had met here originally!!! i have traveled the world because of pokemon, i've met so many people from this site and hope to still yet meet more, i truly don't know who i would be had i not found smogon.com, or been gifted pokemon for christmas in 1998

MONS.jpg

this picture is from 2012, in Kona, Hawaii. i was here for the world tournament that year, and had one of the best vacations of my life! i yearn for more camaraderie like i've enjoyed with mons, it's the one community where i have felt absolute acceptance <3333

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Wait, I haven't posted here yet? Well then, let's get right to it.

The date I made my account was October 21st, 2018, right in the middle of a time in my life where thing we definitely far from bad per sé, but I still felt some sort of jealousy and sadness upon seeing my friends and family start to grow up and progress in life whereas I felt like I was falling behind. In any case, I can't really remember the exact reason why I joined. Late 2018 would have been around the second half of Pokémon's seventh generation with Let's Go right around the corner. Unfortunately, the time that has followed since then have probably been my worst years as far as being a Pokémon fan is concerned.

I won't lie about this much. I actually really liked a lot of what the Nintendo Switch era of Pokémon has had going for it, and that still remains true to this day. My growing anxiety in the last two years in particular, alongside my tendency to dwell on the negative things in life when I'm upset, was ultimately what led me to be a lot more harsh towards Pokémon's material than I should be. I hesitate to even call Sword & Shield my least favorite Pokémon games due to wishing I could give Pokémon a fair shot again.

What does any of this have to do with me joining Smogon? Excellent question. I started playing Pokémon Showdown a year prior and had just turned sixteen that summer, so maybe those had something to do with it. But really, the reason I've not only joined, but have stayed for three years now is because I absolutely adore this community, and for a while have felt like finding my places within the Pokémon fanbase would be what saves my interest in this franchise as a whole- because I very rarely had those kinds of chances to play with others growing up.

2021 has marked my lowest points of interest in Pokémon to date despite the promises that Pokémon's 25th anniversary year would bring happiness. I love what Pokémon has done for others this year, but it would admittedly be nice to see the games A. not rushed out a year early a la Sword & Shield, and B. have a reason to go back to playing games I've played before.

Add-On: But to be perfectly honest, it's not those things that bother me. Sword & Shield being a 2019 title when I've always said it should have been a 2020 release was inevitable, especially if my "Gen 9 in 2023" theories stick. Mathematically, a rushed 2019 release followed by Gen 8.5 via Legends: Arceus in 2021 (numerous leakers have said COVID delays happened but they still wanted a release before February) makes perfect sense. No... what really bothers me more than anything is how an independent group like Smogon has done more for me than the games have when it comes to addressing more... personal issues. That's a compliment to us, but a huge blow to Pokémon.

Last edited:
I dont remember who invited me to the smogon discord server, but well, thats how i first "joined" smogon, but when i really joined smogon, was when i saw smeargle inktober, after joining the smogon discord server, i joined the CAP discord server and the smeargle discord server, i was rlly thinking about joining the smogon forums when CAP 30 design submissions were up, but idk why, but it didnt interest me so much (until i knew what it like "really means", idk how to describe that feeling, and because of that i got the 3rd place of the worst design xD, because i got late), but with smeargle inktober, it felt different, and i decided to join smogon in the 1st day of smeargle inktober, and i did all the days =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)