Social Why did you join Smogon?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Laboratory (Shoddy 2) required a Smogon account? This I don't remember. That was a good sim, I wish its programmer didn't go nuts and leave us high and dry (twice, I should add). PO and aeo saved our butts though.
That might've been it? I honestly have no idea what it could've been lol, pokemon laboratory isn't ringing any of the right bells though ... i believe aragornbird's current name is arkeis, however ^_^

I Joined because I like competitive battling... Or I just felt like it.

(Though I only post artwork of pokemon things as velociraptors, and silently browse the competitive battling forums without posting)

This requires some context, but I joined in February 2014. I had to look at my postings for this, but I vaguely remember some people mentioning how a TCG room would be nice on PS (which was removed at the time) and thought it was a good idea. As such, I created an account to suggest one in the now defunct room suggestions forum. I completely forgot that was why I created a Smogon account.

VGC, little me wanted to be a pro gamer.

Now I just shitpost on firebot cuz ultra sun/moon is literally the same as regular Sun moon. You can do better game freak.

I guess to become better at pokemon and its easier to get information on whatever i need this way. Also playing tournaments seems like fun

I joined because of CAP. Didn't realize you couldn't submit your own full fakemon, but I stuck around anyway. Strangely enough, I extremely rarely go on the CAP forum.

to be honest at the time i was probably something like fourteen and i wanted to just get better at pokemon after floundering on shoddy battle for a year or two of not really trying very much to get good at the game, i was kind of sick of being a mediocre player and wanted more direction

inevitably i decided to make an account and join battling 101 and under the tutelage of a few really cool players i think i became pretty competent at the game (particularly gens 4-5) but i never felt like i really pushed myself as much as i probably should have? and i realized somewhere along the line i didn't want to be much of a competitor. in any case, i don't really play very much anymore nor do i post particularly often, i mostly just lurk old threads for posts i thought were cool when i was younger but occasionally migrate to the rmt/ou forums to see what people are doing there

occasionally i think of returning and making a serious effort to compete again but mostly i'm content to lurk for now, it's fun to see what the community's up to every now and then

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
tbh I joined smogon to improve my english.
That's why I took plenty of time to get used to this community. Thanks to it I can continually improve my writing skills

Reactions: pqs

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Joined out of fun playing with my friends. I first came onto PS! around 2012, played a year and a half or so of Mono, left for a good 4 years for other endeavors and came back to playing out of pure boredom and an urge to do something. I never knew about this forum until last year actually, so I wonder how much I could've done if I knew sooner.

I joined for the pet mods. I lurked on several of them for a while (especially the Alola Formes one) and they just looked so fun I eventually built up the courage to join and start participating in them.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Joined because if I recall correctly, the great people of the old TeamUber chat all frequented here and I found it through an old website (PokemonElite2000). Had friends like Stone_Cold22 and zeldamastertimmy from Marriland among many others. This was just when Diamond and Pearl came out that I really got into it. Community at that time was great on Smogon also, feels like a golden era now!

Joined because I enjoyed playing pokemon against other people, not just the game itself. Smogon is basically the biggest singles competitive community, so I knew that if I participated I could play people that were better than me to get better myself. Also the drama is fun to watch.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I signed up at Smogon on early Jan 2014 when I wanted to post an RMT and thought that it woulda been neat to get involved there; most of my first posts were in the RMT section, good times. Used to follow Smogon even a few months before that though, I really liked reading the Smog (the web-zine before the present's TFP) and its earlier issues as I thought the articles there, whether they were competitive, in-game, or for entertainment, were fascinating as a pokemon enthusiast. I'd say the Smog was really the part of the site that kept my interest the most I'd say, and I just slowly got more and more drawn in as I played more on Showdown.

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Because chaos essentially big-dick'd all other pokemon sites back in the day and created Smogon - which took over tafop, gamefaqs, etc. as the new and cool internet pokemon hub.

Reactions: BP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)