Well, what's the reason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes. Why?

EDIT: I personally enjoy arguing from time to time, and sometimes I get caught up in something dumb, but I'm starting to learn to let it go when people say things I think are dumb. Typically an argument like the ones you see in cong is something I go out of my way to avoid.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I don't really want to argue on the internet, since I believe it's very difficult to change one's opinions-- even if they are factually incorrect.
I just would like to express my opinions.
I only end up in arguments when people challenge my opinions with a source that supports them, then I would give them my sources which contradicts with what their sources say.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
apparently some people misinterpreted this as a post solely meant to invoke humor. While the setup is funny posts that take the subject seriously akin to cresselia's are expected. thank you for this time

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I kinda prefer to call it "Debate" but semantics aside, I only do it sometimes and only in hopes of learning something new(sadly it doesn't always happen). Knowledge is power!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
apparently some people misinterpreted this as a post solely meant to invoke humor. While the setup is funny posts that take the subject seriously akin to cresselia's are expected. thank you for this time
Sorry >_<" I don't get jokes unless they are posted in Firebot.
No wonder why the poll options are so weird...

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
While I don't mind for debates to become heated, mostly over stuff that aren't that serious, I mainly see it as a way to pass time. I don't plan to advocate for a certain cause, or convert others to my opinion, and just get in to the heat of the moment. I like the change of perspective, even if I find it stupid, and if I learn something new out of it, all the better.

Usually for fun over minor stuff or semantics with friends. Outside of that, if I actually argue with someone online it's usually because they quoted a post of mine and responded in a way I interpret as them having misunderstood me, or because I think they're fair-minded on an issue I've been thinking about and want to see what their counter to my argument is, assuming they have one. The former often gets me into long quote-threads that go nowhere, either because the person quoting me has willfully misunderstood me, or because we disagree in some fundamental way. Nowadays I make an effort not to get dragged into those types of arguments, but will sometimes fail, so I try to format my posts in a way that discourages those types of responses in order to take the choice out of my hands.

Tl;dr Because of a masochistic streak caused by my parents hitting me as a child that has resulted in me taking pleasure in the disgust people express toward my opinions and being called names.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
itt users w a lot of demonstrated bad opinions.

i think of it like ad busters for the impressionable 12-17 yr old boys who occupy this forum

It's like playing video games but much cheaper. That's why I got into smogon/shoddy/pokemon online to begin with now that I think about it. This whole website serves as an outlet for my desire for free games that aren't crap like bejeweled or minesweeper.

I find I can figure out whether someone hates Jews or not by arguing about seemingly irrelevant topics and having in an archive in your head of approximately how much of the population hate Jews is useful

Also I like being heard and rebutting someone online and receiving likes especially if it’s what I thought to be a minority opinion is like the ultimate proof to me that I’m not retarded

I lost a bet with Satan and he shackled my soul to the internet until I'm freed by changing one mind
I did this once. I explained to him/her that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" is pseudoepistemology and that a real photograph of a unicorn (extraordinary claim) is just as powerful as a real photo of you eating a burger at McDonalds (ordinary claim). He said "oh yeah, that sounds right" and went away.

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
Yes. Why?

EDIT: I personally enjoy arguing from time to time, and sometimes I get caught up in something dumb, but I'm starting to learn to let it go when people say things I think are dumb. Typically an argument like the ones you see in cong is something I go out of my way to avoid.
Why the fuck would I argue on top of you? That's just not right man.

The majority of my arguments online are sports related, and that's just done out of entertainment and fun. It is enjoyable to try and make sports related predictions and to watch them play out. I do this a lot in the real world, but arguing sports nonsense is just another form of being immersion into the sport, especially with my favorite sport of baseball where there is a community dedicated to making arguments and taking positions and watching them play out. Especially when you're right.

There are times that I get into political arguments online. I don't actively seek these out and I don't particularly enjoy getting into them, but I engage in them completely of frustration. In the real world, there are consequences for voicing your political opinions. You risk damaging your reputation and relationships with others by engaging in them. I so often walk a tightrope between wanting to make a comment or saying something, and refraining because of the potential consequences of doing so are. In the online world, I don't care much at all about how I'm perceived. It's freeing to be able to express myself in a way that is unavailable to me to do in the real world, and is an outlet for the buildup of frustration and tongue biting.

Mimikyu Stardust

nyeheheheh
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
I don't like to argue online since you're more likely to randomly find 10.000$ than changing someone stance on something online, but watching people argue about anything is always fun drama to watch/read (as long as it isn't political since i don't understand nor care about politics), if its a video or a podcast its also great background noise, i've listen to some online friends on call argue about a video game i've never played before arguing about strategies and i was just smiling while they have the most intense mouth off there is.

Drama is always fun, as long as it is about something i don't care about.

Although i did argue with a friend whether listening to Anime Openings or PHONK Music/Remixes are better for doing physical activities... the correct answer is anime openings.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I have a lot of opinions and hot takes of mine people may consider unpopular, and there's something oddly satisfying about watching multiple people at once come together and think I'm crazy.

I like to express my opinions online. This means arguments are inevitable but I do it anyways because as messy as it is, it helps me learn new perspectives.

My opinions may not be the best but I do it for the thrill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)