Wii Virtual Console Guide

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
added some very good games to the OP... kirby 64, super street fighter 2, river city ransom and metal slug, the first neo geo game ive reviewed

Create order from chaos.

By the way, i recommend ActRaiser of the SNES. It's a fun game, you are a God and you have to make the world so the people can live in it, by destroying monsters or changing the environment by listening to their needs.

But also you have the side scrolling action, where you must destroy the monsters, demons and their bosses;the music is great.

I think you guys should give it a chance.

I disagree with kirby 64 being bland to be honest, I thought the levels and enemies were okay. My one problem with it was the lack of "level one" powers, such as bomb, needle, fire, ice whatever. There should have been more to make the combining thing properly worthwile (not that it wasn't already great, fire sword is fucking intense).

VC still needs Kirby Super Star, SSB 64, SMRPG, and Earthbound! Forget random SMS or NeoGeo games =(

Wiiwares out in europe, I want steelicks' official opinion!!

Update please

edit: downloaded lostwinds, it's absolutely amazing!

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Steelicks, thanks for putting this together. On a side note, you lucky PAL people get C64 games! If Jumpman or Wizard comes out for the VC and we don't get them in North America, I'm going to be very sad. Also, Sword of Fargoal would be cool.

What happens when you run out of blocks? Do you pick something to send back to the shop channel (if so, do you keep this games save data?) or does it randomly pick one, or does it not let you until you put them on an SD card (i dont own one)?

also caturday you should change your location

edit: I finished lostwinds earlier, and just thought I'd post some thoughts for if steelicks wants to review it. It only lasted me two and a half hours so it's pretty short, but it's amazing while it lasts, it looks great, gameplay is inspired and the puzzles are clever (though they do use the same ones fairly frequently, there are different and sometimes brilliant iterations of them). There's only one boss, at the very end of the game, and this leads into a rather anticlimactic ending, because it appears there is guaranteed to be a sequel. After beating the boss, theres a short little storyboard with some more stuff, and then the game ends leaving behind a "to be continued" and a cliffhanger :/
The sequel, if/when it comes, will be a continuation of the same storyline, so I'm left wondering how this'll be dealt with, because at the end of the game you have many powerups, one of which gives you enough flying power to glide across the screen twice, or something close to that...going canon, Toku (the boy you play as) would be pretty well equipped right at the start of the new game...
Something that dissapointed me throughout the game was finding the memory chests. There are 3, and you have to find them to restore someones memory so you can find the boss, I wont go into details on the storyline. Anyway, I was disspointed because they are a key element of the game, and as in most games where you have to "find the (adjective) X's to activate the Holy Y", you'd expect bosses or a devilish puzzle to bar you from them, but the first chest is right next to where you're asked to start searching for them (and not in a "heres the first one to get you started" kind of way), and isn't guarded at all :( The second one was at the bottom of a relatively long and puzzling dungeon, but then the third was again, just out in the open. It was a bit of a shame, but maybe it's just that I've grown into a pattern of gaming through perpetuated stereotypes. After all, lostwinds does strive to be different with it's unique controls.
The boss fight at the end was quite beautiful, if a bit easy, something that is a theme in LostWinds, because once you realize what to do, it can be done in a couple of minutes without taking damage (you can just stand on this ledge and just use the wind to kill it).
But I guess it's easy to nitpick at, and I'm being too harsh, because everything else was stunning. The controls were fluid, the wind you use to push Toku around is intuitive and accurate, it looks great, and the puzzles are interesting.

9/10

Some little flaws, but great overall.

Nice review, i haven't really felt interested on wii ware, the Nintendo channel is kind of useful and with pretty interface as always. I'll get Dr. Mario though :).

Is Europe the same date that Australia?, i mean because you want Steelicks to review it.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah, i get wiiware at the same time as europe i think. there will definitely be a wiiware guide eventually... the only issue is fitting all this shit into my wii's storage

What happens when you run out of blocks? Do you pick something to send back to the shop channel (if so, do you keep this games save data?) or does it randomly pick one, or does it not let you until you put them on an SD card (i dont own one)?
If you want to make room for more games, you have to either delete some channels or move them to an SD card. If you delete the channels, you can download them again for free, but I'm pretty sure you lose your save data.

But you can save data onto SD cards?
Also how do you delete them?
Yes, you can save data onto the SD card. Just go into the options in the wii menu's bottom left corner, then go to Data management. Once there, you can move your save data and VC games onto an SD card. You can also delete them in Data Management.

Heck yeah!!, a little fun game from my childhood hit the VC this week; City connection!, maybe is not worth the download... but i have a lot of memories of it.

Oh yeah and some Metal Slug game too...

Hello, I'm new to this community and I found this thread interesting, I just wanted to know if Golden Axe for Sega is a worthy game to be bought on the VC

Yes, I downloaded the game and I found it quite challenging and good altough the characters are worn like wrestlers

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My personal favorite was always Golden Axe II, but the entire series is outstanding.

Steelicks, I recently bought Metal Slug today and was about to ask you to check it out, but I saw you already grabbed it. You certainly did the game justice with your review, it's one of the best VC games I've bought yet.

I got on club nintendo for some well-overdue points conversion a week or so back but since then I've been utterly unable to get any points from the site :/
It's annoying because I want to get FFCC: my life as a a king, but I dont want to spend money on 2000 points, rather I want to redeem my club nintendo points worth 800 and use that. Fucking dumb, they only have 200 a day and they're gone in minutes, plus you can only get one a day and theres no 800 points card e_e
So instead Im getting pokemon snap =D

edit: SMRPG 8D
edit: Finished pokemon snap in about 4 or 5 hours, but man that was fun! Wish I'd been more of a nintendo gamer as a kid, I missed out on alot. Also yeah I have got all 63

For you VC fans, this could be of interest. I'm thinking on buying it, playing Star Fox 64 without the N64 controller just didn't feel right, and maybe it will motivate me to finally play Ocarina of Time!

Btw this past Monday we got Samurai Shodown, i really recommend it for those that like 2-D fighters, is a classic arcade game and it's cool because Neo-Geo wasn't getting much love lately..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)