Wobbuffet

#202 Wobbuffet -
-

Wobbuffet, one of the most unique pokemon in existence. it is the ultimate set up aide, with Shadow Tag, and encore, it just about guarantee, that your set up sweeper get a turn to set up. Counter and Mirror coat make it a great revenge killer for Choiced pokemon.

Base Stats: Hp 190 - Atk 33 - Def 58 - SAtk 33 - SDef 58 - Spe 33 (BST: 405)

Abilities:

Shadow Tag: Enemy Pokémon cannot switch out unless they have the ability Shadow Tag. Pokémon can also escape by using U-turn or Baton Pass, or by holding the item Shed Shell.
Telepathy (Dream World): Prevents damage from teammates during double and triple battles.

Movepool
:

-Level-up Moves: Lv1: Counter, Lv1: Mirror Coat, Lv1: Safeguard, Lv1: Destiny Bond

Pre-evolution moves: Lv1: Encore, Lv1: Splash, Lv1: Charm4th generation Moves: Tickle

- Learnable TMs: None

Traits:

• Shadow Tag: It is no longer the only pokemon with Shadow Tag, as two other evolution lines get it through dream world. It is still is as effective as ever, and can trap or revenge nearly any pokemon. there really are no counters to Wobbuffet because nothing can switch out from it, except other Pokemon with shadow tag, such as Shandera

• Enormous HP : With 190 base Hit points, it has one of the highest Hp stats in the game except Blissey and Chansey. This allows it to take a hit or two, and hit back with counter or mirror coat.

• Very Taunt vulnerable : Taunt is nearly the bane of Wobbuffet, it makes it, that Wobbuffet can't do it's just job, it can only use Counter and Mirror coat, while your sweeper sets up on. Examples of this are Bulky Gyarados and Onokusu.

Potential Set(s):

Support

@
or

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry/Leftovers
Nature: Calm/Bold
Ability: Shadow Tag
6 HP/252 Def/252 SpD or 28 HP/228 Def/252 SpD
~Counter
~Mirror coat
~Encore
~Destiny Bond/Safeguard

The one and only set for Wobbuffet. Just switch in to a wall or a another pokemon that can't inflict that much damage on it and encore it, then you a free turn for your set up sweeper, to wreck the opponent's team. You can also start baiting your opponent's choice scarfer out with a set up sweeper and then switch to Wobbuffet, and Revenge it so your sweeper has a clear path ahead of it to sweep your opponent's team. This set really shines with wish support since it doesn't have any form of recovery. The Custap berry allows, it to nab a kill once its hit points are at 25% or less with destiny bond. The 28 HP evs allow it to hit a leftovers number if you are using Leftovers.

Conclusion:

Yet another pokemon, that really didn't change from generation 4 to generation 5. It's still one of the greatest set up aides in the whole game, and it can revenge a lot of different pokemon. Wobbuffet, like many other pokemon didn't get any new viable moves. How do you think the 5th generation metagame will treat Wobbuffet?

Almost every pokemon has improved, a ton of new ones are spectacular... he stayed the exact same.

No where to go but down for him. But I don't think it will be much of a drop, he'll still be nearly impossible for an unprepared pokemon to defeat.

Once shadow tag gets banned... IF shadow tag gets banned... Yeah, with other things (*cough* Shandara *cough*) getting shadow tag, and wobuffet without a movepool or useful secondary abilties... yeah, I don't know. He'll keep Luvdisc company in BNU (Below Never Used).

Encore got the nerf hammer, as it only lasts for exactly three turns now, instead of 4-8 turns. Therefore it's harder to get more than a free turn for a set up sweeper. Also, now the better option for bulky sweepers (CM - BU, when faster than Wobby) is to stat up on Wobby, especially when they are able to take a hit.

Yeah, Wobby got a huge hit this generation and I really loved using Wobby in GenIV Ubers. I guess it should be still good at killing scarf users.

Once shadow tag gets banned... IF shadow tag gets banned... Yeah, with other things (*cough* Shandara *cough*) getting shadow tag, and wobuffet without a movepool or useful secondary abilties... yeah, I don't know. He'll keep Luvdisc company in BNU (Below Never Used).
Not really; Wobbuffet was UU before it got Shadow Tag. He has the perfect stat spread for CounterCoating, so he's not totally useless.

wobby as set up aide term is nerfed hugely due too 3 turn limit.
In other jobs such as choice killer hes doing it as great as usual
Thats my opinion

wobby as set up aide term is nerfed hugely due too 3 turn limit.
In other jobs such as choice killer hes doing it as great as usual
Thats my opinion
As far as Wobbuffet's role as being a setup aide, I don't really think it took such a blow. Okay, so you switch Wobbuffet on a wall such as Blissey, then you encore the move, switch out to a set up sweeper, use Dragon dance or swords dance, and then they switch out. in that situation, it doesn't really matter how long encore lasts, because they will probably switch out, as soon as they can.

I'd like to point out that Telepathy on Wobbufett is rather nice for doubles and triples, as it means that you won't target your wobbufett when you attack, and it's much more likely not to be considered uber, the way that Shadow Tag is.

I'd like to point out that Telepathy on Wobbufett is rather nice for doubles and triples, as it means that you won't target your wobbufett when you attack, and it's much more likely not to be considered uber, the way that Shadow Tag is.
Which has the side effect of making Wobbuffet completely useless.

I generally disagree that Wobbuffet has lost any use in this gen. Yes, it took a HARD hit with Encore lasting for only three turns, and the new gen has become heavily offensive-oriented, but with a change in its investment with stats, and the custap berry giving Destiny Bond priority when it's in trouble, he's still a great pokemon in my opinion.

As already stated, he's still one of the best choice counters in the game. I say he can fit well in OU, and maybe a limited extent in Ubers.

Telepathy Wobbuffet completely defeats its purpose.

The only use I can think of for Telepathy is in Mults. That way, Wobbuffet won't hurt its teammates when it counters their Surf or Earthquake.

It's extremely useless even for that, though, as you could just as easily change your strategy around.

As far as Wobbuffet's role as being a setup aide, I don't really think it took such a blow. Okay, so you switch Wobbuffet on a wall such as Blissey, then you encore the move, switch out to a set up sweeper, use Dragon dance or swords dance, and then they switch out. in that situation, it doesn't really matter how long encore lasts, because they will probably switch out, as soon as they can.
Well you exactly bring my though
But lack of 4 turn sometime make it hard.
Back in gen 4 you can encore a sub too for example

With the introduction of so many more powerful sweepers in BW2, and the metagame shifting into a more offensive one, would Wobbufett be more useful as a means to counter these new threats?

With the introduction of so many more powerful sweepers in BW2, and the metagame shifting into a more offensive one, would Wobbufett be more useful as a means to counter these new threats?
Some calcs:

252SpAtk Life Orb Thundurus Therian (+SAtk) Thunder vs 4HP/252SpDef Leftovers Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 58% - 68% (303 - 358 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Keldeo (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/252SpDef Leftovers Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 80% - 94% (418 - 492 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. OHKO after SR.

252SpAtk Life Orb Tornadus Therian (+SAtk) Hurricane in Rain vs 4HP/252SpDef Leftovers Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 47% - 56% (249 - 294 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 11% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers.

252Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus (+Atk) Earthquake in Sandstorm vs 4HP/252Def Leftovers Wobbuffet (+Def): 56% - 66% (295 - 348 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

As you can see, Rain once again got the best toys but it's possible to tailor Wob's EV's to allow it to survive rocks and get it in Custap range for Destiny Bond if you REALLY need to get rid of one of these powerhouses.

wobbuffett has been a thorn in my side recently but because of the encore nerf its not as useful as it was in the past

While he may not be able to stand up to any random Pokémon anymore, he is still an absolute nuisance in this meta. Very few things can 2HKO him, and in a meta where some Pokémon only need one free turn to wreck an opposing team (DD Salamence, Trick Room Reuniclus, Nasty Plot Thundurus-T) Encore still gives that free move very very easily. A spectacular team player who, when played right, can eliminate one member of the enemy team of your choice (sometimes more). So wonderful to use!

I agree with Kalamadude there. Wobbufett did get nerfed but that simply means you can't throw him on anyone now. You have to be a little more careful and calculated. Still, if played well, it can destroy the opponent's strategy.

Some calcs:

252SpAtk Life Orb Thundurus Therian (+SAtk) Thunder vs 4HP/252SpDef Leftovers Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 58% - 68% (303 - 358 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Keldeo (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/252SpDef Leftovers Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 80% - 94% (418 - 492 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. OHKO after SR.

252SpAtk Life Orb Tornadus Therian (+SAtk) Hurricane in Rain vs 4HP/252SpDef Leftovers Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 47% - 56% (249 - 294 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 11% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers.

252Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus (+Atk) Earthquake in Sandstorm vs 4HP/252Def Leftovers Wobbuffet (+Def): 56% - 66% (295 - 348 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

As you can see, Rain once again got the best toys but it's possible to tailor Wob's EV's to allow it to survive rocks and get it in Custap range for Destiny Bond if you REALLY need to get rid of one of these powerhouses.
Most thundurus are scarfed

Most Tornadus are Specs

Most Landorus are scarfed

The BW2 metagame is too fast for sweepers. It basically just powerful attackers wearing teams down rather than a single sweep.

Some calcs:

Why are you using a boosting nature on these thing? They always run +Spe nature.(except thundurus on agility sets occasionally)
These real calculations are:
252SpAtk Life Orb Thundurus Therian (Neutral) Thunder vs 28HP/252SpDef Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 52% - 61% (276 - 327 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252SpAtk Life Orb Keldeo (Neutral) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 28HP/252SpDef Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 71% - 84% (379 - 448 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
Which common Keldeo set used Life Orb anyway?
252SpAtk Life Orb Tornadus Therian (Neutral) Hurricane in Rain vs 28HP/252SpDef Wobbuffet (+SpDef): 43% - 50% (228 - 268 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 2% chance to 2HKO.
252Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus (Neutral) Earthquake in Rain vs 28HP/252Def Wobbuffet (+Def): 39% - 46% (208 - 244 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

Notice that I didnt include leftovers in those calculations. I saw someone on the ladder using custap berry wobbuffet. This means that wobbuffet can now get two kills per game instead of one.

encore may have been nerfed but to any slow hazard setter it's still a utter prick that can give you fits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)