Tournament World Cup of Other Metagames IV - Pools Phase (Tiebreaker Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
just want to make a quick shoutouts post since we are now officially out
thank you Quantum Tesseract for picking me to be your assman :> it was a great experience and im glad i got to be involved in comanaging for such an amazing team :)
a loser unfortunately you got haxed and had a couple games not go your way :( but u tried really hard and had super heat ideas. i didn't know you too well before this tournament and im glad we got to work together !
ItsChew. you were subbed with like a week left in the tour and were able to go 2-2 in one of, if not the most difficult pools in the tour. you really proved yourself to be a great player and i cant wait to see what u do in the future
MZ Havens u guys did well and got haxed in some unfortunate games :( but im glad you guys were able to represent south and have a solid tour
and ofc, thank u Senko SBPC Kate for being on the team. we didn't get to include you guys at all in the lineup but i wish u three best of luck in the future :)

lastly, want to say that i appreciate everyone who's been in call chatting for the past couple of weeks as we watch these games, it's been such a fun experience again and i hope we're able to continue with other tours in the future. have a nice holiday everyone, and gl to the teams that have made playoffs !

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:palkia: Shining Pool :palkia:

After a quite tight regular season, with a final run between US South, France, and UK, the death of Racool's laptop, the return of the dragoluck, and the (expected) elimination of rfn ren, I'm back (oh no... ik ik) to give my thoughts about the beginning of this wcup, and my predicts for the incoming tie break.

First of all, I would like to congrats all the qualifiers (US West, Europe, and Asia-Pacific (even if they have the worst cap and the worst mnm player), but overall to all the teams, that was great to have so many high-qualities (and some less but smth TheCoastsOfToast is gonna hit me) games, and even when the country/region wasn't famous such as China or Spain + LA, they managed to make some good results (such as Nalorium in this stucked af STABs pool lol) and it was great to see some new blood. I hope you all had a great moment doing this competition, and I hope we can see you next year.

On the format of the wcup, I talked a bit of it in the OM cord but it's always better to write it officially, I'll not explain too much as I don't think it's neither the moment or the place to do so, but I heard some players say that they really prefer pools like that, as they offer more time to schedule and to build, and some have argued stuff about scouting (less scouting, but some think it's good and some think it's bad iirc) but I don't have an opinion on that point so. I totally understand the other points and, if I was a player, I would probably like the format because having more time is less pressure. However, I'm not a player, blame Dragonillis and LBDC (or my super bad level kek, your choice), so I'll give the opinion of a spectator that was invested in the wcup as I helped a few teams : I really had the sensation of a no-hype during 2,8 weeks, with a few games at random times but nobody really knew who was playing when and it kinda felt dead, and the last week end was like super strange, too many games that I feel I wouldn't appreciate all of them, despite there was a lot I wanted to see (QT, French, Greybaum games, to say the least) but I was lost in all those games and I feel like we kinda lost the value of a wcup game on this last weekend. Moreover, it was a pain to know who was in, who was out, who has played all his games, etc (esp with those guys that kept their replays until the very last moment, dude this just gives headaches not knowing who has played yet) and I think it was kinda stressful for people that were invested in that. Lastly, willdbeast talked a bit of that, but it's harder for captains to sub 'unknown' players on already decided weeks, as they need to keep their starter to the end, and with that overbooked last weekend it was pretty hard to sub people (the only sub that happened were for people that disappeared/were suddenly not available, afaik) and it's kinda sad as wcup is also a way for 'new comers' to prove in one or two games their level.

tl;dr : as a spectator, I really prefer weeks system.

Lastly, here are my predicts for this very intense tie - it would be fun if the winners of the 2 last wcup were eliminated now kek

France vs. UK

:aegislash: STABmons: :aegislash:
LBDC vs. xavgb I'll be honest, I didn't watched all of LBDC games (neither Stresh one, but I'm not watching BH anyway), but I felt like in this weird meta full of HO he's not in his best place, and his record of 1-3 (when he was in perfect in wcup before) shows imo some difficulties in stab. On the other side, stresh is obviously one of the strongest dude on this wcup, and I think he'll be favored here because he's on a better trend and is insane in game, and has a lot of support in building (free Pujo tho)

:heatran: AAA: :heatran:
Atha vs. Racool This is the game I expect to be the most close between two really good players in AAA. Racool has shown that her main weakness was definitely not being rusty butjust having a bad laptop, and she should have win the first game without that, whereas Atha is on the top of the AAA players since months now, got an impressive 4-0 during pools (with a lucky win against Racool), and he kinda underestimated Racool by bringing a motherlove team against her, which will probably not be the case here. I'm honestly super hyped to see this game, and I wish I'll see some heat, good teams and great plays, but I expect Racool to win from nothing

:entei: MnM: :entei:
aesf vs. Chazm aesf is an awesome guy and it's pretty cool to have him on team France ngl. I don't really know why he's playing MnM but he's good everywhere so it's probably fine. He played his only BH game correctly, even if he should have lost because of his bad team :d however, I feel like Chazm is really impressive in MnM and I think Chazm's gonna win this, but this will be a very cool game between two excellent players, ^standing of a wcup

so yes. I'm expecting UK to crush France in this tiebreak, but all of those games are gonna be pretty fun to watch, and probably very close. I don't particularly encourage France, I just want to see good teams and enjoy the games, as its the main point of a wcup for me.

Good luck to all the players ! Have fun in your games, may the best win, and take care y'all :heart:

friendly reminder that Siamato is small (and I'm probably taller than you now lol) and that Gman is the nicest guy on this earth I love him so much (same for TheCoastsOfToast)

Last edited:
It's 7 Years Days War time baybee. Famed for being the first global war ever, I thus expect a great showing from both teams! Hopefully France doesn't toss the white flag too early and we get a close and action packed series. If history repeats itself we'll see a lot of seceded land so I'm excited to see how things turn out this time around!
1638434509420.png

Predictions:

STABmons
LBDC vs. xavgb (The Battle at Fort William Henry): Stresh is the goat and it's really hard to see him lose this one since LBDC has unfortunately gone 1 - 3. This however, shouldn't take any credit away from him cuz he's still a top notch STABmons player and could def take the game if he gets match up. Something in my gut tells me that they'll both be bringing balance, which I'm really excited for, but who knows. Anywhase, I expect a hard faught match with a lot of casualties and a greater number of injuries. Stresh however will narrowly take this lead and the William Henry Fort.

AAA
Atha vs. Racool (The Battle at Fort Ticonderoga I): Atha has been red hot, going 4-0 in this tour, and for a while now has been regarded as one of the best, if not the best current AAA player and builder. Racool on the other hand is out for blood. After her laptop failing on her, and tryharding only to go 1-3, if sure she's very hungry, and if I was Atha I would be scared. IMO the highlight match of this tie breaker. I feel like both players are gonna hella try hard so hopefully we'll see some heat. According to history however, The Battle at Fort Ticonderoga I resulted in a much larger number of British casualties, thus I expect Atha to pull through here.

MnM
aesf vs. Chazm (The Battle at Havana): Oh boy, I'm excited for this game. Chazm has been one of the most active MnM players of recently and has really pushed the meta forward, and innovated a ton of different play styles and teams. aesf on the other hand has uhh... moved to France??? I don't know why you would ever do that tbh, after all you are in the same country as Osake , but fair enough we can't control everything. Current OMGS champion and recent BH main, aesf hasn't really lost in.. a while. Chazm on the other hand has had a great showing in MnM recently so to many I feel like he'd be favored, however I feel like aesf will be try harding this game, and getting some support to bring some heat MnM team. On building wise Chazm definitely has the advantage but if aesf gets a match up that's good enough to have good chances to win / even I think he should be able to beat Chazm, which I do believe will happen. Thus, I'll be predicting aesf to win this by using a Chazm team against him, cuz after all, only Chazm teams can beat Chazm teams.

And with that, in a wild turn of events the French finally win a war! I predict for them to win this one 2 - 1 and move into the play offs.

(tbh tho, I really have no idea how each game is gonna go, to me it all seems neck and neck with any game able to swing either way. I just chose the winners out of good fun, and made some reason off the bat) Good luck to all players and I hope we have some nice clean games of pokemon!

West Coast Best Coast
West Coast Best Coast
West Coast Best Coast
West Coast Best Coast
West Coast Best Coast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)