World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

England v Germany - I think England will actually win this, experience vs young talent imo experience will pull through
Against the likes of Ozil and Podolski? Don't think so.

Pretty sure England will lose but against such an excellent German team it'll be nothing to be humiliated about.

Who else wanted to see Argentina - Uruguay instead of Argentina - Mexico? Because that would've been awesome.
Dude, did you see the last World Cup game between Argentina and Mexico? (here's a reminder)

fck england

DEUTSCHLAND! DEUTSCHLAND! DEUTSCHLAND!

O o
/¯/____________________________/
| Ima Blowin' Ma VUVUZELA BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\

And the last time we played Germany

Owned in your own country

Against the likes of Ozil and Podolski? Don't think so.

Pretty sure England will lose but against such an excellent German team it'll be nothing to be humiliated about.
Ozil, granted is on fire, but Podolski is Germany's equivalent of Peter Crouch. Looks great from his international record but is actually a bit shit. Rooney and Gerrard are better players and I don't think you can really debate it (at least for their clubs anyway). I think England has the better team but Germany is playing without fear and is a better gelled unit. If England can bring it all together, and change formation then they should beat the Germans.

What's going on right now?

World Cup

yeah that's right

(I know where you're coming from but international records are really more important at this point in time IMO. And Podolski's is fantastic. Rooney is obviously not having a great time at the moment (can't blame him - worked like a freaking dog by Sir Fergie ;\) and neither is Gerrard really even if he was amazing in the USA match.)

Who shall be the opponent for the Netherlands? Italie or is there a suprise around the corner, who knows ^^

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I predicted that Australia would win, but it's a shame that Ghana didn't :/ they are a worse side then us yet they made it through on goal difference cause of our one bad game, ahh well Forza Italia!

What's going on right now?

World Cup

yeah that's right

(I know where you're coming from but international records are really more important at this point in time IMO. And Podolski's is fantastic. Rooney is obviously not having a great time at the moment (can't blame him - worked like a freaking dog by Sir Fergie ;\) and neither is Gerrard really even if he was amazing in the USA match.)
Podolski scored all of 3 goals for Koln this season, and his international record is mostly bloated against crappy teams. I saw the Serbia match and his finishing was poor. The only thing is that without King or Ferdinand we lack pace at the back but otherwise I don't see him being someone to go out of our way to handle.

I don't know if Rooney is fully fit or not. But if he gets played in the lone striker position, and if Milner gets crosses in like he did in the first half, then I will back him to score goals.

@ Delko: Italy... if they don't fail next match, of course. Unlikely to happen.
Paraguay is going to be on the 1st place. Probably going against... Japan, i guess.

One thing to note: Uruguay, South Korea, USA or Ghana. One of them is going to the semifinals.

Well, Uruguay has tradition, and it's a South America team, so i'm going to cheer for them. Go Uruguay!

I can only pray that England go out against Germany, because if they somehow snake/fluke their way to the semis, us scots won't hear the end of it for weeks. If the limey bastards actually lift the cup (and this is pure theorymon here) then god save the queen and all her nucleologically-vulnerable apes.

Of course, if there's one thing that England can't defeat, it's a good old penalty shootout. That and a decent team.

England vs germany..a match between two teams who play a disapointing World Cup (compared to the South Americans) so far...oh well..we should hope for a penalty shootout :p..

BTW did England have any fast combinations or fast-game playing at this World Cup? Maybe Germany can outplay them, but they really need more accuracy in their actions.

Well, "GOAL" is spelled GOL in portuguese. Not that I would spell it "GOL" in an English forum, but if you're just very used to writing a word, it's not offensive to just write it your way by mistake.

Gol is Spanish. Ruud van Nistelrooy's nickname when he was playing for Real Madrid was Van Gol, because he scored so many goals

Gol is for spanish indeed, i don't know if another familiar language uses it too, Italian perhaps, but i'm just guessing now i'm sure.

Exciting matches in round of 16 so far, i'm interested on all of them.

/¯/____________________________/
| Ima Blowin' Ma VUVUZELA BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\

^hahaha

WRONG. Goal is Golo, in portuguese.
If br's say gol, that's their problem, but that's not portuguese, not in a million years.
Gol comes from spanish, I think.
Do you REALLY intend to teach me Portuguese? I'm from Brazil, we speak... guess what? Portuguese.

In case you don't know, again, Portuguese from Portugal is different from Brazilian Portuguese in a few things. That is one of them, but why me, being brazilian, would talk about the portuguese speaken in Portugal anyway?

GOAL is GOL in portuguese, as I've said before. Since Portugal is not the only portuguese speaking country, you should inform yourself a little more before making those assumptions. Welcome to "a million years in the future", my friend. :P

Do you REALLY intend to teach me Portuguese? I'm from Brazil, we speak... guess what? Portuguese.

In case you don't know, again, Portuguese from Portugal is different from Brazilian Portuguese in a few things. That is one of them, but why me, being brazilian, would talk about the portuguese speaken in Portugal anyway?

GOAL is GOL in portuguese, as I've said before. Since Portugal is not the only portuguese speaking country, you should inform yourself a little more before making those assumptions. Welcome to "a million years in the future", my friend. :P
I didn't said GOL wasn't brazilian portuguese. I just said it's not portuguese. Intresting how come out in the defense or BR-PT, but after that you just ignore all other variations, including the original. The prefix is important.

Anyway, /endofftopic

It doesn't matter what is the country speaking it, you were the one who said Brazilian Portuguese was not portuguese. Also, we know a lot more about "goals" than Portugal, with 5 World Cups and everything. =P

Now, if you remember that there is no right or wrong about the translation of a word that was created after the end of Portugal's colonization in Brazil should be enough for you to stop assuming that "gol" is not portuguese. It's all portuguese, and we here don't call our language "Brazilian Portuguese", like no Angolan would say they speak Angolan Portuguese.

But to end it all, Friday we'll see which word will be shouted more: Gol or Golo. =]

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm glad England finally played well, but beating the Germans will be tough. We'll have to play even better and hopefully in a 4231 formation. Congratulations to the USA also.

I'm not confident of England going all the way now, as USA pipping us to 1st place makes our task insanely more difficult. England's likely path to the final (if the favourite teams win) is:

Round of 16 - Germany
Quarter Finals - Argentina
Semi Finals - Spain
Final - Brazil

It just gets tougher and tougher, I don't think it's England's year.

bloody germans.. could you not have drew :(
quite fancy playing crouch for set pieces on that german keeper, looks like a weakness there.
and rooney would have scored today if it wasn't for the keeper somhow getting fingertips to turn it onto the post.
i think we will reach semis, argentina are horrible at the back.

Baww England won, I was hoping Slovenia would pull of a stunner of a win and pull through (like NZ). :c

Good to see Germany get through.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Love you germany <3

I love the US's route to the semi's. Definitely doable. Ghana and Uruguay/South Korea, while not easy per se, certainly isn't as hard as having to face a Brazil or an Argentina. However, then we'd probably have to face Argentina (or england if they get their shit together, but argentina's looked good so far). I'd be good with the US going to the sems. And heck, after seeing what the US did the last time they were in South Africa, who knows what could happen.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1) Lots of great teams are having that same problem during this World Cup. There isn't a team with a really solid defense, and a very dangerous attack. Argentina's defense sucks, with Demichelis giving out easy goals, fricking weak defense from Gutierrez. Brazil took two stupid goals in both games, Spain dominating in offense and taking a counter goal from Switzerland. Korea defense was solid against Greece, and the reason they took so many goals from Argentina was because they went for the win. Maybe they started slow so far, but that doesn't mean they'll always do it.

1. They've consistently started slowly, even in the qualifiers which I watched. They always play nervously, even against a weaker team, and I see no reason as to why South Korea would stop now, with a very strong opponent. Just watch the first 15 minutes of each game, you'll see quality strikes by opponents, due to the Korean defense. For example, Nigeria's first goal. Korea should have been able to defend that, but their defensemen were too far back in the field to effectively counter the fast running Nigerian offense. I'm not saying there won't be an upset. If South Korea can straighten out their problems, they are a very very potent team, and as a Korean, I hope with all my heart that they'll win. However, my realistic side of me tells me that South Korea, in their state, will not be able to advance further.

2) You know, there are TWO Parks on their team, right? The Manchester United one is a star player. And Chu Young Park also proved to be able to kick from outside of the box. He scored once from a Free Kick, and had plenty of chances to score against Greece too, and against Nigeria, some of them were saved by the keepers. Ji Sung Park scored twice already, they have lots of chances with Free Kicks and corners, with a defender having scored twice already. And they also scored more than Nigeria so far. They aren't on the next round by luck alone, and they deserved a lot more, IMHO.

The part that ticks me off is that they have so many quality free kick chances. During the Nigeria game, they've had 4 quality free kick chances. Two they kicked away, one they lobbed for a play, and one was a very good strike (I have to admit) but with a stroke of luck, because the Nigerian goalie accidentally went one way, which he shouldn't have. During Argentina, when they had direct free kicks, they hit the wall 2 times, and shot the ball over the net more times. I wish that they'd stop shooting the goddamn ball, and do a more plays. Korea has seen success in corner kicks, and in free kicks, setting up for a header, or one timer, as seen in Greece and Nigeria. Even in Argentina, they had a very good corner kick chance. But it ticks me off that they keep kicking them away.

3) Ji Sung Park, Cha Du Ri, Chu Young Park, Lee Chung Yong, Yeom Ki Hun and Ki Sung Yong. The great majority of those players have already played in Europe, Cha Du Ri was able to outfoot Greek defenders, and they are a lot more experienced in defense than Uruguay, whose defenders are a lot slower than Nigeria's.

You cannot say that Greece was in their top form during that game. After that one goal, they played a very discouraged game, misplaying the ball, making bad passes, and generally being outplayed by the offense. Uruguay is on the momentum train as of the moment. And furthermore, again, those players may have played in Europe, but that doesn't automatically mean that they'll be penetrating the defense, as we've seen in the past 2 games. During the Nigeria game, they haven't EVER had a quality scoring chance in the box, during an offensive rush.
Again I hope South Korea does win, but I cannot afford to not be realistic here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)