"Worst Pokémon Ever"

sunken\sunflora for me and im sure for most of you,

1. competitively its beyond useless, 55 base def, 30 base speed, lord,

2. the design is ok I guess, the best a Sunflower mon can really look,

3. the move pool have few useful moves, EP, SB, LS, but its gonna be to slow almost to surprise anything
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 264-312 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Sun: 228-268 (59.3 - 69.7%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran in Sun: 99-117 (30.6 - 36.2%) -- 51.3% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult in Sun: 263-309 (82.9 - 97.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor in Sun: 125-147 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth in Sun: 358-422 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Sunflora Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory in Sun: 138-163 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Oh sure you need Sun, Stealth Rocks, and probably Trick Room... but don't fuck with my man Sunflora.

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
i have a new contender for the list! its name is ponyta in DP

its only physical stab move is flare blitz, which it learns at 48 (or 58 as rapidash!) so you're fucking stuck with ember for god knows how many levels. the worst part is that you have no other choice in the matter unless you picked chimchar

platinum pushes ember back a few levels to 10, and gives it flame wheel, a much needed move, but you're still left with a 60 power physical move and pretty much nothing else of note until you get to the elite 4. it's got some decent coverage moves in DP (megahorn or sunnybeam, anyone?) but dear lord gamefreak fucked that one up hard

i have a new contender for the list! its name is ponyta in DP

its only physical stab move is flare blitz, which it learns at 48 (or 58 as rapidash!) so you're fucking stuck with ember for god knows how many levels. the worst part is that you have no other choice in the matter unless you picked chimchar

platinum pushes ember back a few levels to 10, and gives it flame wheel, a much needed move, but you're still left with a 60 power physical move and pretty much nothing else of note until you get to the elite 4. it's got some decent coverage moves in DP (megahorn or sunnybeam, anyone?) but dear lord gamefreak fucked that one up hard
I thought for sure that Ponyta learned Flame Wheel before Platinum and turns out it does with the caveat of "through breeding"

The kicker being: you need Growlithe (who isnt in the sinnoh dex) or.......chimhar

I don't think DP Ponyta is THAT bad. I have used it in my Pearl playthrough and it has pulled its weight well. In fact, I'd consider DP Ponyta an improvement over its previous iterations. Between Ember and Flare Blitz, it learns Fire Blast at level 38 as opposed to Gen 3 where it learns it at level 53. And level 38 is quite early for a 120BP STAB. Add the fact that Ponyta has high stats for an unevolved Pokemon (higher BST than some fully-evolved Pokemon such as Beedrill/Butterfree). 65 Special Attack is quite strong unevolved to make use of Fire Blast and Rapidash's 80 is decent for in-game play.

The fact that it's the only Fire-type in the game if you didn't pick Chimchar gives it a strong niche despite its flaws (though I guess being the only Fire-type also highlights its flaws as well).

Last edited:
Bro I fucking love every pokemon from Gen 1 don't @ me.

Its not easy for me to dislike a pokemon but like I really hate this Monstrosity.
View attachment 234418

Let me tell you why this is the worst thing ever. First off look at his face, he looks so unfazed. He could of just watched his and family be murdered by a pack of Raichu because he ate their son and he's just like completely stone cold unfazed. It's Game Freaks equivalent to a dodo bird. Secondly, who the fuck at Game Freak decided it was a good idea to have a mon that has Pikachu in its mouth. This pokemon is the embodiment of vore.

#CancelCramorant

Anyone remember this embodiment of vore?

As I read, manga spoiler, it happens. And yes, after spitting out the arrow fish, it has Pikachu too, and I think without Surf first, as soon as the first gulp missile was shot.

I don't need to spell out the implication, no? Said Chu looking shifty / lewd-faced after the event (at Hop though) is only adding it.

Last edited:
Qwilfish. Let me list the reasons:

1. Generic Design
It's literally a pufferfish. It's not even a cartoonish version of one; it looks exactly the same as pufferfish in real life.
2. Evolution
It doesn't evolve. That's right, it's your classic one-stage dex filler pokemon! How low can you get?
3. Squandered concept and typing
Let's take a look at another Water/Poison type, this one from Gen I. Tentacruel. A jellyfish Pokemon sounds pretty boring, right? A floating sphere, some tentacles, and you're done. Well, Tentacruel, a mass of dozens of tentacles, a huge-ass beak, and glowing red orbs with attitude is here to correct you. Gen II. A pufferfish pokemon. It's sure to be really unique and a cool evolution like Tentacruel, right? Nope. It's a generic dex filler.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Qwilfish. Let me list the reasons:

1. Generic Design
It's literally a pufferfish. It's not even a cartoonish version of one; it looks exactly the same as pufferfish in real life.
2. Evolution
It doesn't evolve. That's right, it's your classic one-stage dex filler pokemon! How low can you get?
3. Squandered concept and typing
Let's take a look at another Water/Poison type, this one from Gen I. Tentacruel. A jellyfish Pokemon sounds pretty boring, right? A floating sphere, some tentacles, and you're done. Well, Tentacruel, a mass of dozens of tentacles, a huge-ass beak, and glowing red orbs with attitude is here to correct you. Gen II. A pufferfish pokemon. It's sure to be really unique and a cool evolution like Tentacruel, right? Nope. It's a generic dex filler.
Sadly, Qwilfish is a whole lot of missed potential in several ways:

1. Design:
It's actually supposed to be more than a pufferfish, it's also supposed to be a naval mine. Hence it learning... wait, it doesn't learn Self-Destruct or Explosion naturally? It only gets Explosion via TM in Gen 4 through 7 (and Self-Destruct through TM in Gen 8)? Wow, they really botched up there! Only closest thing it has is Destiny Bond which is more of a spiritual thing.
BTW it's tail isn't a tentacle, rather I think it's supposed to be a paddle which is used in sushi cooking called a "shamoji". Cause, you know, pufferfish is used to make the infamous fugu dish.

2. Evolution:
The Prototypes of Gold & Silver revealed that it was actually supposed to get an evolution: Shibirefugu.

It's much more obvious being a naval mine. In addition it's Japanese name translates to "Numbness Puffer Fish". In the prototype both were pure Water-type, though if Shibirefugu's name and lightning bolt symbol is anything to go by, it might have become a Water/Electric-type. Obviously it got cut (maybe because they rather have one Water/Electric family introduced, the Chinchou family) and Qwilfish made Water/Poison. And it's likely Shibirefugu's design (or at least its face) was then re-used to make Whiscash.

3. Typing:
With it being based on a naval mine I don't know why they didn't make it Water/Steel. Wouldn't be until Gen IV we got a Water/Steel, Empoleon, and it's so far the only Water/Steel we have! Wouldn't make Qwilfish alone better, but if it was given an evolution (as you'll find many concepts of with a simple Google search) could potentially have been... alright, probably not, but would have at least made Qwilfish (family) better.

I don't need to spell out the implication, no? Said Chu looking shifty / lewd-faced after the event (at Hop though) is only adding it.
I thought the Pikachu was ship teasing Hop with Shield, as in, "you two make a good couple" (seriously, both sounded like they were lowkey pining for each other in that chapter :3)

Obviously it got cut (maybe because they rather have one Water/Electric family introduced, the Chinchou family) and Qwilfish made Water/Poison.
Of course, that didn't stop GF from programming 3 Rock Ground families in Gen 1, 3 Grass Poison families in Gen 1, 2 Bug Steel evolutions in Gen 2, all of the Normal Flying, 2 Grass Ghost families in Gen 6, etc.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Of course, that didn't stop GF from programming 3 Rock Ground families in Gen 1, 3 Grass Poison families in Gen 1, 2 Bug Steel evolutions in Gen 2, all of the Normal Flying, 2 Grass Ghost families in Gen 6, etc.
  • Gen I: They had 150 spaces to work it so could have a few families sharing Types.
  • Ground/Rock: was probably seen as an "obvious" combination, like why wouldn't a Rock-type also be a Ground-type (unless they were a Fossil which had another matching Type), especially if it gave them STAB Earthquake.
  • Grass/Poison: A lot of plaints are poisonous or can cause an allergic reaction. And with as Types resisted Grass probably wanted to give a few Grass-types a STAB they could use to get around that quirk.
  • Forretress & Scizor: Forretress and Scizor both played different roles and evolved from a non-Steel-type. Also they were the new Steel-type. Qwilfish's evolution and Lanturn would have both been attackers, but with Qwilfish being Physical focused its STABs would be going off its weaker offense stat. When it came time to trim down the dex they probably saw it not performing optimally so cut it.
  • Normal/Flying: That was just because of the odd quirk they gave to Flying-types of it not being allowed to be typed by itself, probably because they say it as an additional trait instead of the Pokemon being an air elemental.
  • Phantump family & Pumpkaboo family: I say these two are too seperate from the discussion being Gen VI Pokemon and we're talking about Gen 2.

Ground/Rock: was probably seen as an "obvious" combination, like why wouldn't a Rock-type also be a Ground-type (unless they were a Fossil which had another matching Type), especially if it gave them STAB Earthquake.
I do find this comment interesting, mostly out of the fact that the first pure rock-type was petrified wood. (So in a way it made sense that it wasn't able to make earth shatters as well)

Cool take
Forretress & Scizor: Forretress and Scizor both played different roles and evolved from a non-Steel-type. Also they were the new Steel-type. Qwilfish's evolution and Lanturn would have both been attackers, but with Qwilfish being Physical focused its STABs would be going off its weaker offense stat. When it came time to trim down the dex they probably saw it not performing optimally so cut it.
Question: Does this refer to the scrapped evolution?

Because Qwilfish is still in SwSh if you meant something else.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I do find this comment interesting, mostly out of the fact that the first pure rock-type was petrified wood. (So in a way it made sense that it wasn't able to make earth shatters as well)
Not only that, also note the other pure Rock-types:

Nosepass: Based on a stone carved statue (aka manmade, though in-lore Nospeass is a natural creature its basis isn't)
Regirock: A believed-to-be manmade (or at least made by Regigigas) statue of rocks which repairs itself by using rocks.
Cranidos: Fossil Pokemon, but from its appearance alone you couldn't tell it was Rock-type as it just looks like a normal animal (well, as normal as a dinosaur is).
Roggenrola family: Based on geodes, hollowed rocks lined with crystals.
Rockruff family: Another otherwise normal looking animal that has rock spikes sticking out of it.
Rolycoly family: A chunk of coal, likely mined coal as its evolution shows the coal mining process (it evolves into a mine cart and then a furnace).
Stonjourner: Based on stone carved monuments (aka manmade, though in-lore Stonjourner is a natural creature its basis isn't).

Many of the pure Rock-types are either manmade statues or an animal that just so happens to have rock components to them. Exceptions are Roggenrola family and Rolycoly family but their pure Rockness comes from the focus of their design.

The early Rock/Grounds (Geodude family, Onix, Rhyhorn family) were presented as living rock monsters. They look like rocks that just got up off the ground and started moving around. Also note that, after Gen I, the only Rock/Ground-type Pokemon have been Larvitar & Pupitar which lose it after becoming Tyranitar (seemingly because they only needed the Ground-typing to be able to digest all the nutrients from the soil to evolve). It's like Geodude, Onix, and Rhyhorn was used to form the base of the Rock-type, like they expected people to wonder what's the difference between Rock & Ground so here are the Rock-types that are both and from here on any Rock-type not like them (an animal made of rock essentially) isn't Rock/Ground. Once again Roggenrola and Rolycoly skim on the line but have justifications to remain pure Rock (both have a more artificial look to them as well, like they're literally living rocks as opposed to animals made of rocks).

Question: Does this refer to the scrapped evolution?

Because Qwilfish is still in SwSh if you meant something else.
1. Yes, I meant its evolution we've talked about above was scrapped for Gen II's release.

2. How in Arceus' sake did Qwilfish get pass Dexit...

I haven't read through all 29 pages, but I haven't seen anyone mention Xerneas. Design wise? I actually like it's design. But competitively? Don't get me started, it made CROBAT viable (talking about vgc).

Rotom Fan.

This thing is atrocious. It's ability is completely useless because its already a flying type. Unlike the other forms who all get high powered moves( Blizzard and Hydro Pump are powerful, Overheat and Leaf Storm lower your stats but they all get VoltSwitch) its gets Air Slash, which is only a mediocre move. Flying isn't the best type offensively either. If it had Volt Absorb and Hurricane instead I might like it, but its ability is so completely useless it hurts me. Its completely outclasses by all the other forms. Honestly I would use base form over this thing. It design is weird too. It looks like a cheap fan you would buy at a dollar tree.

Rotom Fan.

This thing is atrocious. It's ability is completely useless because its already a flying type. Unlike the other forms who all get high powered moves( Blizzard and Hydro Pump are powerful, Overheat and Leaf Storm lower your stats but they all get VoltSwitch) its gets Air Slash, which is only a mediocre move. Flying isn't the best type offensively either. If it had Volt Absorb and Hurricane instead I might like it, but its ability is so completely useless it hurts me. Its completely outclasses by all the other forms. Honestly I would use base form over this thing. It design is weird too. It looks like a cheap fan you would buy at a dollar tree.
hurricane would be nice and fit more with the others, but not only did it not exist but air slash is also way more reliable
rotom fan still has a great defensive typing, especially with HDB, and only really loses because of no recovery.
its also funny with air balloon

Rotom Fan.

As a VGC player for the most part, I think this thing is heavily underrated in VGC. STAB max airstreams? Yes please! Ally switch? Yes please! Isn't hard countered by most ground types? Yes please! Works amazingly with Galarian-Weezing (a personal favorite of mine)? Yup.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Spr 4p 428.png

When I published my Eiscue rant a few months ago I brought up the fact that it felt unfinished, like Game Freak failed to fully realize what they were going for in an organic, well-assembled manner. Lopunny is the opposite situation: Game Freak did exactly what they wanted to. The problem is that thing being utterly wretched.

Pokefans toss around the term "furry bait" too liberally nowadays. It seems like every time anything remotely humanoid with animal features is revealed people are quick to deride it as just some sleazy bid to pander to the e621 crowd. But when you look at Pokemon like Cinderace, Hatterene, Salazzle and Incineroar, even if you don't like them personally you can't deny that there was clearly a ton of effort put into their designs, backgrounds and lore to make them stand-out in the evergrowing line-up of creatures. If furry bait was ever an intention from the start it was certainly not the be-all end-all, with the designers behind these Pokemon making sure they have a lot more to offer, a clear purpose within their home regions and beyond.

I can't say the same for Lopunny. While it hasn't been explicitly confirmed by the devs for obvious reasons there's simply no other way to interpret its design other than being based off a Playboy bunny. Bulbapedia even backs this up! From there its purposefully sexualized what with a feminine face and its hands in a position that kinda looks like it's cupping "breasts".

Ok, so its inspiration and how it reflects it is more than questionable for a children's game. But hey, this isn't the first nor the last time Game Freak has made these sorts of dirty jokes: 3 generations later Tsareena would be introduced, a Pokemon pretty overtly based on a dominatrix. And while I'm not exactly crazy for that mon I can at least say it was an interesting pick for battle: A priority-blocking signature ability, strong stats and a cool movepool for a pure Grass type with tools like U-Turn, High Jump Kick and Rapid Spin.

So what does Lopunny have to offer? Pure Normal type with 3 subpar abilities with a movepool that while decent in a vacuum doesn't hold a candle to many other Normal types. Don't forget its highest stat being a middling 105 speed with everything else not even cracking the 100 mark! This hunk of garbage serves absolutely no purpose in Sinnoh what with Bibarel already taking on the role of early-game Normal rodent and everything else just being better.

The only reason why this Pokemon isn't my undisputed worst Pokemon of all time is because of its Mega Evolution. Mega Lopunny really is what the base form should've been from the start: It doesn't manage to shake off the unfortunate origins but at least it provides neat battle applications with the new design having some sort of presence. But if I were ever to somehow come to have control over this franchise, my first order of business would be to outright retcon base Lopunny and make a stat-adjusted Mega the new base because as it stands, the current base Lopunny truly is furry bait and a particularly grievous form of it.
eh i changed my mind it's fine. It's cute n fluffy and has a cool mega. I was being too mean :c

Noivern.

Usually, Dragon-types are set up to be a type where players truly need to put in effort to get a strong mon with high BST. It got a bit silly nowadays (Hi Dreepy!), but that design makes sense.

Noivern, however, does not fit that bill. Outside of its base 123 Speed, everything is mediocre and its second highest stat is 97 SpA.

Devs have picked up on how Noivern could be interesting as a Dragon that wins on availability instead of raw late-game power.

And then there's the Noibat phase. Have fun taking a mon with 45 SpA being one of its best stats all the way to Lv. 48 despite how early you can get it in USUM and SwSh.

And no, Boomburst is not worth it. It's only 5BP stronger than a regular 90BP move +STAB.

I don't think I hate many Pokemon in this world, but I think Galarian Meowth is one of the few exceptions. Let's see why:

1. Meowth already had a regional variant in the last gen. Why does it get a second one when there's a lot of other Pokemon that could use a regional variant?

2. Meowth had a Gigantamax Form that was promoted prior to SwSh. It already had another form prior to Galarian Meowth being revealed. It had two alternate forms in total at that time.

What was the whole point of this form? Galarian Meowth line screams extremely unecessary. Even if they wanted to Kanto Pandering, they could have gone with something like Venonat and Seel, Pokemon who could have gotten a makeover. Or if they needed to have a cat, why not give it to the Glameow or Skitty line? Especially the former, since Glameow has only appeared in 4 core RPGs, and there are no Sinnoh Regional Variants, which is another gripe I have with SwSh, with Sinnoh having 0 regional variants while Unova, despite being younger, has 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)