Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

I'm working on Sylveon currently... wouldn't hurt to have someone else look at it, though. I want to improve the face, but its eyes are throwing me off. Everything else is fine.

So I guess the best solution is to dock one pixel off
Back sprite, too? It would be nice to post both side-by-side after.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oof I did some Mega Scizor QC in turn.

back to writing, I'll do more then some backsprite QC.

Status update on Clawitzer's backsprite since I'm taking awhile to make it with schoolwork and all. Figured I'd take this opportunity to ask for crtiques and the like on the current lineart before I get too involved with it, as I have some concerns about it as I haven't done many backsprites in the past. My primary concern is that the whiskers may need to be shrunk down, although I'm currently keeping them at their current width and length in comparison to the front due to the foreshortening effect that viewing them from different angles results in. These whiskers are, believe it or not, actually shorter than the in-game models', as the in-game clawitzer barely fit the 96x96 restraints with a reasonable size. Everything else in the lineart is otherwise proportionate to the in-game model, and the claw maintains its height from the front sprite. So yeah, some thoughts on the above would be appreciated, because again, I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to backsprites. Expect a fully shaded version of this before the weekend, regardless.

princessofmusic I approve of this edit. Being an avid fan of birds of all kinds, I can definitely agree with the posture edit, as it makes it seem a bit more realistic. Not sure how practical it'd be to change the animation, but aside from that, nice edit.

Well, I had found this place through some spriters on DeviantArt and decided I'd pitch in some to help.

First thing I should note is that Litleo's and Flabebe's front sprites were not completely created by me, but I have made multiple edits to them both. I cannot for the life of me remember who originally create them. That aside, the back sprites are mine. So anyone is free to use and edit those as they'd like.

Next up, and first on the list, is a Spewpa sprite I had made. If they look similar to sprites on DeviantArt, that's because I used those as references for the design and pallet.

And finally, Mega Kangaskhan was also made by me. The back sprite for the baby Kangaskhan is a tad large, so I might fix that up later if anyone would like me to.

Last edited:
[URL=http://s305.photobucket.com/user/XandZero2/media/clawback_zps63e365f0.png.html][/URL]
Yay I made a backsprite that probably needs some QC in terms of shading but yeah. Also, more good news: as of tomorrow I'll have actually caught and Megavolved a Banette, so I can finally have a clear reference for its backsprite. So expect that soon(tm).

After that, maybe I'll work on another pokemon line that lacks a backsprite as well. Even if I'm not exactly familiar with B/W backspriting style, I can at least lay down a good base, after all.

aXl Clawitzer looks awesome. It doesn't look to me like it needs any QC, except that your shading style has a lot of dithering that sets it apart from Game Freak's style. However, your sprites are still of high quality, and that's something I'd rather embrace than reject. Most of our sprites will never look 100 percent official, so there's no point in nitpicking to that degree, in my opinion.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will post things relating to QC and the replacement of sprites tomorrow, it will be long but I hope it allows us to all move forward happily.

Now for the real reason I'm posting this: Can the PO guy I talked to on skype PM me here, make an account if you haven't I want to stay in touch here rather than anywhere else. I can make both our lives so much easier this way.

Also I finally got the April Fools Day project thread public over here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/april-sprites-we-did-it.3478965/

I might as well share that here so you all can see how that one was handled.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
just posting to say sorry im taking so long to finish goomy and tyrantrum. Just been really busy this past week but I'll finish them as soon as I get some free time.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Ok so I've added a number of bigger contributors to the credits page of smogon: http://www.smogon.com/credits

The site update system is going through a change in the content management system so I'm not going to update it for a while, but I will soon enough. I only put some contributors just to familiarize myself with editing html on the new system.

In terms of Talonflame I'll update it for sure, but if a sprite has already been animated and such I feel the onus is more on the QC person to assist with editing the animation rather than the original animator. You did only edit the body so ideally yes it shouldn't be too hard. We have posted a number of applications in here that can assist with gif editing.

I'll probably be editing one sprite that has an animation, and I too will edit up the animation to reflect this minor change. But ideally again once a sprite is in animation it is good enough to not have to give huge edits.

As a side note those who know me well are aware I'm a theatre creator so while a performance can always be better there is opening night ahead. Our first opening night event was before the massive leaks where we made sure most of our stuff was stable. Our next big deadline for me was at the point where PS could begin beta. Once the ladder for gen6 officially starts I'd love for us to have great fronts and backs. Then maybe I can but the PS guys on adding in our animations.

My priority right now is entirely on functional fronts and backs, so outright replacing sprites that already are ready for animation such as Flabebe just doesn't seem productive to me. Just letting me know you think there is a problem with the sprite and I'll take it off animation ready status. I do think Flabebe is fine, Quany has noted the outline is bright so I'm waiting on that QC to occur. I of course have not seen a redone version, but would an edit suffice instead of building a new sprite entirely?

I also understand people just want to be part of their favorite new mons, and I think that is wonderful, but as I've said before I would like to eventually finish the project, and at the same time I do want everything to look great.

I'm also picking up Mega-Houndoom after putting that down a bit, he's a big bugger.

Also sandz is a genius, the sprite gen now has shiny animated sprites available: http://www.smogon.com/teambuilder/sprite_generator

There aren't many but we had enough to test it and have it ready for more!

A credit link to the thread is also on the generator.

Last edited:
I made a new phantump sprite, I hope its good...

gonna make a backsprite next. Is the sprite a bit too small btw? And anyone is welcome to edit it, or give QC, etc.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Managed to finish up goomy's back sprite with its tail. Think I got the size right but if something needs to be adjusted just let me know.

goomy-back.gif

I'll see if I can get tyrantrum done this weekend. Pretty sure I'll have time then.

Yoooo~
The Talonflame sprites look pretty sick; however, when I was switching between them in Showdown!, I noticed that the shiny version's right wing [left wing from our POV] is fatter at the base. Shiny Talonflame's butt is also slightly smaller.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I don't know how you figured that one because they are the same in every way.

It might just be with how PS loads images, but they are completely the same.

I don't know how you figured that one because they are the same in every way.

It might just be with how PS loads images, but they are completely the same.
Hmm, that's interesting. Watching the images load, you can see the shapes change... But, alright, that could definitely be it...

Personally, I think that sprite looks fantastic (shading could do with a little work though) however if you look at the chart https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TS1UUUgzU19ITllWM0V4MXFpalE&usp=sharing#gid=0 you would see that a heliolisk sprite has been done already.

This goes for everyone again please look at the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TS1UUUgzU19ITllWM0V4MXFpalE&usp=sharing#gid=0
Sorry for the extremely tardy reply, but I do think that Heliolisk does need some spiffing. Mine ain't that good, but I think it does seem to be an improvement. Also, I didn't like the colors of that Heliolisk.
Guys, any tips for GenV shading? I can't seem to pull it off, especially outlining the pokemon. I got used to just using good ol' black. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)