Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we just do this:
  • D -----> Unranked
Mega Abomasnow is so unviable in the current metagame, it isn't even funny. Should a Pokemon with a Hail-like Swift Swim arise, it could see use, but until this day, I see no reason to use it. It has a Stealth Rock weakness, which is manageable by everything, but it still really sucks. Mega Abomasnow is not the most powerful either, and it isn't particularly bulky. I'd never ever use this thing over any other Mega Slot, not even Banette (which is actually pretty cool//). Per the D Rank rules, what is Abomasnow-Mega's specific task it does? The only set I've ever even seen used or used myself is Blizzard / Earthquake / Focus Blast / Substitute, and I'm sure there are variations, but what can Abomasnow-Mega do to make me want to use it at all? It's just very bad, and it does not deserve a ranking on this thread, even if it is a new mega/

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Can we just do this:
  • D -----> Unranked
Mega Abomasnow is so unviable in the current metagame, it isn't even funny. Should a Pokemon with a Hail-like Swift Swim arise, it could see use, but until this day, I see no reason to use it. It has a Stealth Rock weakness, which is manageable by everything, but it still really sucks. Mega Abomasnow is not the most powerful either, and it isn't particularly bulky. I'd never ever use this thing over any other Mega Slot, not even Banette (which is actually pretty cool//). Per the D Rank rules, what is Abomasnow-Mega's specific task it does? The only set I've ever even seen used or used myself is Blizzard / Earthquake / Focus Blast / Substitute, and I'm sure there are variations, but what can Abomasnow-Mega do to make me want to use it at all? It's just very bad, and it does not deserve a ranking on this thread, even if it is a new mega/
Not to mention, since every team packs at least Charizard (both versions), Talonflame, Bisharp, Aegislash, or Heatran, it can't win most matchups and will always be threatened on every single team.

True, but Darmanitan makes up in that through his raw power and just overall higher base attack stat which means his U-turns hit harder than Victini's. He also has EQ to OHKO Heatran which neither of them do, while also having rock slide to form the SlideQuake Coverage combo.
Can we seriously make this guy stop some how... Ban him to learn or something but this is really obnoxious and pointless.

Not to mention, since every team packs at least Charizard (both versions), Talonflame, Bisharp, Aegislash, or Heatran, it can't win most matchups and will always be threatened on every single team.
Earthquake and blizzard can hit everyone here neutrally at least.

Isn't aboma useful on trick room teams? With 132/132 offenses not much can't be broken by it. And even though it's typing is beyond awful it has decent bulk.

Isn't aboma useful on trick room teams? With 132/132 offenses not much can't be broken by it. And even though it's typing is beyond awful it has decent bulk.
No as an experienced trick room player I can say that mega abomasnow is worthless. 132 attacking stats is not nearly strong enough to justify use on a TR team, especially when mega mawile exists. Ice/Grass is a garbage typing and it's high bulk is offset by the fact TR teams always struggle to get hazard support on their teams. It isn't worth even on Trick Rooms teams there are better options: Eelektross, Octillery and Aegislash all outclass it as a mixed sweeper (and all hit harder than snow with a LO) on TR teams, and if Octillery and Eelektross are unranked mega-snow should be too.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Earthquake and blizzard can hit everyone here neutrally at least.

You're obviously oblivious to the fact that he is oursped in very scenario

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Can we just do this:
  • D -----> Unranked
Absolutely not.
Take a look at this team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/time-to-break-the-ice-gen-vi-ou.3509345/

Mega Abomasnow is definitely viable in OU and it gives normal Kyurem a niche over Kyu-B besides SubRoost. It's also the single best answer to offensive rain teams, since the other weather inducers in OU (Tyranitar, Megazard Y and Hippowdown) are outright destroyed by them.
Before anyone says "Gastrodon", no, it's complete set-up bait for Energy Ball Manaphy.

Both Mega Abomasnow and Kyurem them should be at the very least C rank.

No as an experienced trick room player I can say that mega abomasnow is worthless. 132 attacking stats is not nearly strong enough to justify use on a TR team, especially when mega mawile exists. Ice/Grass is a garbage typing and it's high bulk is offset by the fact TR teams always struggle to get hazard support on their teams. It isn't worth even on Trick Rooms teams there are better options: Eelektross, Octillery and Aegislash all outclass it as a mixed sweeper (and all hit harder than snow with a LO) on TR teams, and if Octillery and Eelektross are unranked mega-snow should be too.
132 attacking stats are more than enough when you add Hail damage and its STABs have 110 and 120 BP.

Mega Mawile is not that good in Trick Room since it's easily stopped by Quagsire, who is slower since it usually runs a Relaxed nature (therefore underspeeding M-Mawile in TR), ignores Swords Dance, has SE STAB Earthquake and can burn it with Scald, while Mega Abomasnow destroys it without question.
M-Mawile also has issues against bulky ground types such as Gliscor and Hippowdown, both of which are comfortably handled by Aboma.

Aegislash is pure garbage in TR teams since it's going to be hit (and likely KO'd) in Blade forme after attacking first, Eelektross lacks a powerful STAB and has to rely on sub-95 BP coverage moves and Octillery is so frail it can't even take neutral hits so none of them outclass Mega Abomasnow in TR.

Last edited:
Absolutely not.
Take a look at this team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/time-to-break-the-ice-gen-vi-ou.3509345/

Mega Abomasnow is definitely viable in OU and it gives normal Kyurem a niche over Kyu-B besides SubRoost. It's also the single best answer to offensive rain teams, since the other weather inducers in OU (Tyranitar, Megazard Y and Hippowdown) are outright destroyed by them.

Both Mega Abomasnow and Kyurem them should be at the very least C rank.
A team using Forretress... That the poster hopes will get to 1700 isn't evidence. Show me replays of Mega Snow fulfilling a niche on a team.

132 attacking stats are more than enough when you add Hail damage and its STABs have 110 and 120 BP.

Mega Mawile is not that good in Trick Room since it's easily stopped by Quagsire, who is slower since it usually runs a Relaxed nature (therefore underspeeding M-Mawile in TR), ignores Swords Dance, has SE STAB Earthquake and can burn it with Scald, while Mega Abomasnow destroys it without question.
M-Mawile also has issues against bulky ground types such as Gliscor and Hippowdown, both of which are comfortably handled by Aboma.

Aegislash is pure garbage in TR teams since it's going to be hit (and likely KO'd) in Blade forme after attacking first, Eelektross lacks a powerful STAB and has to rely on sub-95 BP coverage moves and Octillery is so frail it can't even take neutral hits so none of them outclass Mega Abomasnow in TR.
... I'm going to cut the crap, Mega Mawile is the only reason Trick Room is a semi-viable playstyle in OU this gen and saying that it isn't that good in trick room is probably the most cringeworthy thing I've heard all day. Mawile can't OHKO one mon that snow can oh no, that means Snow>Mawile in TR... *sigh*. You do realize that Mawile can use ice punch. Abomasnow has issues with every steel type ever and most fire types in the tier. Also while Aegislash is not the best in TR it certainly isn't bad as it hits so hard with a LO that not much will survive to hit it back. Why would I ever use Abomasnow when I can use Ampharos, Mawile Blastoise or Tyranitar. Abomasnow needs support a TR team can't provide hits slightly harder than a LO base 115

252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0+ SpD Mew: 183-216 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Eelektross Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Mew: 175-208 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And on top snow that has one of the worst defensive typing in the game. There is honestly very little reason to use it.

just making a small post to say leave Abomasnow alone you bullies >:[ it has a small ass niche in setting up hail and performing a wall breaking role for some teams and although they are not popular and most are not very good, that fact alone lets it stay ranked. Yes it's not very good overall and has TERRIBLE defensive typing, but it has solid offensive typing and nice stats overall. It is unreal under TR and causes a shit ton of switches meaning it can rack up hazard damage on your opponent and beats almost all the common Defog users. One of my PO friends plays Mega Abomasnow quite a bit and she makes really good teams with it (probably the only person I know who actually can build a good team around Mega Abomasnow ?_?). Not amazing by any means, but it deserves to be on this list as much as any other pokes. Keep it in D pls :toast:

Most of Darmantain's moves have secondary effects. However I agree that Darmanitian shouldn't be ranked. Unlike Entei, Flare Blitz does not have a high chance to burn. Sure blah blah blah Raw power. How about putting Rampardos in OU then. Also Darmanitian doesn't have the priority of Entei's ExtremeSpeed or Victini's powerful coverage.
Darmanitan has all the coverage needs and doesn't mind not having bolt strike because Flare Blitz 2HKOES almost ALL Bulky Water types anyway. And while Darmanitan may not have Extremespeed like Entei, Entei doesnt have U-turn meaning one isn't 100% better than the other. Darmanitan is also stronger than Victini. If Darmanitan is in safely againt a slower Pokemon, something is going to take a huge hit no matter what. Darmanitan still even OHKOes Aegislash after King's Shield drop.

alright guys lets move scolipede to A-

for starters, when compared to mons like skarmory and rotom-w, it performs as good or better than them

second, while BP was nerfed, its offensive LO set wasnt, and it just keeps getting better and better. it can sweep uninterrupted late game bar a megahorn miss. literally all it needs out of the way is SE priority, and then it can just start doing damage

for starters

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 307-367 (100.9 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

being able to OHKO deo-d AND outspeed it alone makes it B+. and get this! it just gets faster and faster till it outspeeds EVERYTHING and has enough juice to KO most of them in one or two attacks

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 185-218 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 374-445 (92.5 - 110.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 237-281 (66 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(yes ik it KOes with FB)

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 243-289 (67.8 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so as you can see this thing has a bite, and with a little prior damage or SR, it often nabs the OHKO on many of these

also quickpass is still viable to turn things into absolute fucking monsters

tl;dr move up to A-, it is more comparable to things there, such as diggersby and breloom

Darmanitan has all the coverage needs and doesn't mind not having bolt strike because Flare Blitz 2HKOES almost ALL Bulky Water types anyway. And while Darmanitan may not have Extremespeed like Entei, Entei doesnt have U-turn meaning one isn't 100% better than the other. Darmanitan is also stronger than Victini. If Darmanitan is in safely againt a slower Pokemon, something is going to take a huge hit no matter what. Darmanitan still even OHKOes Aegislash after King's Shield drop.
So it's a one-time fire type nuke that is worthless after once and is suicidal? Why use this thing over Charizard Y?

This thing isn't viable stop being persistent unless you can show high ladder replays showing why this thing isn't outclassed before you get this thing blacklisted too.

It should be obvious by now but when the people here say something is outclassed it doesnt mean that it is 100% outclassed, something like that doesnt exist, there is always something that one poke has over the other giving it a theoretical niche. However, if the niche is just small and insignificant or totaly overcompensated by the flaws then something is unviable even though it might not be completly outclassed. Thats the case for Heliolisk and its also the case for Darmanitan. Yes, Heliolisk has some perks but compared to other electric types like Thundy, Mega Man and Raikou he outright sucks, same is true for Darmanitan, yes he hits like a truck but he kills himself quickly while doing that and has basicly nothing to offer outside of its strong stab Flare Blitz, if someone wants to use a scarfed/banded fire type nuke he will almost always be better off using Entei or Victini. There isnt realy any reason to use Darm and therefor there isnt much reason to rank it either.

-2 252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 188-224 (58 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It does what now?

But seriously can somebody stop this guy from derailing stuff. It's pretty annoying.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
just making a small post to say leave Abomasnow alone you bullies >:[ it has a small ass niche in setting up hail and performing a wall breaking role for some teams and although they are not popular and most are not very good, that fact alone lets it stay ranked. Yes it's not very good overall and has TERRIBLE defensive typing, but it has solid offensive typing and nice stats overall. It is unreal under TR and causes a shit ton of switches meaning it can rack up hazard damage on your opponent and beats almost all the common Defog users. One of my PO friends plays Mega Abomasnow quite a bit and she makes really good teams with it (probably the only person I know who actually can build a good team around Mega Abomasnow ?_?). Not amazing by any means, but it deserves to be on this list as much as any other pokes. Keep it in D pls :toast:
Nah Mega obama ain't that great under TR. Not better than mega ampharos or mega mawile by any means anyway.
Even ignoring TR, its weak to practically every priority ever not named aqua jet. I've used Aboma under TR extensively and he provides a decent switch-in to some stuff; ground electric and water resists r sorta nice, but definitely doesn't make up for insane amount of weaknesses.

"better physical wall"
no
Hippo is a great pillar on stall, it's one of the only pokemon who can counter CB terrakion and DD Zard X in one slot and thus makes it very valuable. However this is not saying that's all hippo does, Hippo can consistently not be set up bait (skarm does that too but listing pros), check lots and lots of threatening pokemon such as almost everything on that list minus azumarill (take off azu iirc CB waterfall 2hkos), boosted MMaw, Breloom, Venusaur (lol it carries sleep or hp fire) and Gyarados. also it's not a good answer to terrak:
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 144-172 (43.1 - 51.4%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
compared to hippo:
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 187-222 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Hippo also has a big attack stat for a wall and can damage back threatening foes instead of phazing them and encouraing them to repeat till they break skarm:
4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 390-462 (120.7 - 143%) -- guaranteed OHKO
all of your annoying "mis arguments" aside I think it should go up to A

edit: come on guys you saw this coming- I'll make a hippo for A+ argument later
While I can agree that hippo is pretty dam baller, and super bulky sets rocks reliable recovery yada yada yada the main problem is that it has to be at full health all the time. It only barely avoids 2hko's from a lot of pokemon its supposed to check, and that puts the pressure on it to survive and stay EXTREMELY healthy, which is a tad annoying when it comes to using him.
Also, mono ground doesn't have great resistances :/

Reactions: AM

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 129-153 (43.7 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Florges Energy Ball vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 136-160 (46.1 - 54.2%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah, totally worth that 3% difference, especially when it can just Volt Switch out.

0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 129-153 (43.7 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Florges Energy Ball vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 136-160 (46.1 - 54.2%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah, totally worth that 3% difference, especially when it can just Volt Switch out.
Man read my freaking posts i am not saying its worth it, I even stated that it isnt -.- Fact remains it has something that the other mon doesnt, thats what we call a niche. Whether the niche is worth using or not is a different story.

I can see the argument with Victini, however Entei doesn't have utility in U-turn making him in my opinion not as good of a choice because he doesn't have that momentum gaining ability that Darm does however, he does have priority in ES over Darm. Heliolisk on the other hand I believe that all you guys underrate a HELL of a lot. A water immunity is HUGE as it allows him an electric type switch into repeated water attacks from the water Pokemon that he's suppose to check in the first place, which is something not a lot of Electric types can do. He also has an amazing movepool and great utility in Volt Switch. Not to mention as a Specs attacker he doesn't have a SR weakness which means Thundurus isn't better him at his role as a Specs Hit and run attacker.
Its not just Espeed, its also the 50% burn chance making switching into it much more difficult as even things that resist it dont want to switch into it for fear of getting burned (Garchomp, Dragonite). Then there are the far better stats. U-turn is a nice little toy but it cant even begin to compensate all the flaws Darm has compared to Entei. I dont want to get that Helio discussion start all over again so i wont reply to that, if you think its worth using, go ahead but you wont get it ranked here anytime soon, deal with it.

Last edited:
Also, if outclassed mons aren't going to have a rank, I don't see why at all Blissey still has a rank as Chancey clearly almost completely outclasses him. Chancey is far better at what he does than Blissey is and is far better over Blissey than Manectric, Raikou, and Tundurus are than Heliolisk or Victini, and Entei are over Darmanitan.

Also, if outclassed mons aren't going to have a rank, I don't see why at all Blissey still has a rank as Chancey clearly almost completely outclasses him. Chancey is far better at what he does than Blissey is and is far better over Blissey than Manectric, Raikou, and Tundurus are than Heliolisk or Victini, and Entei are over Darmanitan.
There are quite a few people here who say the same thing, but many others think that Blissey has a notable niche as she is not quite as vulnerable to Knock Off and has a usable spA stat allowing her to damage/kill things that her little sister cant touch, thats why she is still in C which is the rank for mostly outclassed mons who hold a notable niche. She might not stay there forever though as there is always a huge debate about it everytime it comes up.

I'd like to nominate Mega Ampharos for B- -> B. With HP investment alone, this thing can check more than a few high rank threats. Looking at S to A-

Warning: Wall of Calcs
Aegislash
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 147-174 (38.2 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 334-394 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Since most sets can be made to "out-slow" Aegislash.

Thundurus
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 232-274 (77.3 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 153-182 (39.8 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Bisharp
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 175-207 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 920-1084 (338.2 - 398.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Greninja
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 299-354 (77.8 - 92.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 454-536 (158.7 - 187.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (On the now Ice Greninja)

Keldeo
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 199-235 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 422-498 (130.6 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Pinsir (Pre-Mega and set-up)
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 238-282 (61.9 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 46-55 (11.9 - 14.3%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 422-498 (155.7 - 183.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Scizor
+2 252+ Atk Mega Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 268-316 (69.7 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 114-135 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Lost the boosts, so it has been checked, and Ampharos can also Volt Switch to retain momentum)

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 193-228 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Forces Scizor to Roost to stay alive, beaten with SR and a bit of prior damage)

Talonflame
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 113-133 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Chosen since it's the same as a BU boost anyway.) TF can't stay in, so it's forced to U-turn or switch out, which gives momentum to Amp's slower Volt Switch.
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 524-618 (175.8 - 207.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tyranitar (And Mega if it's unboosted)
252+ Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 236-278 (61.4 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 392-464 (114.6 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Zard-Y
0 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 144-170 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Only 1-2% more than max Investment Focus Miss and the same as FB)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos in Sun: 144-169 (37.5 - 44%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 342-404 (114.7 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ferrothorn
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 304-358 (86.3 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (SR chosen because Ferrothorn's more likely to have given a chance to set it up.)

Gengar
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 246-289 (93.8 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 231-273 (88.1 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

With two STABS, Sub-Disable sets can't stop both moves

Heatran
4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 150-178 (39 - 46.3%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 198-234 (51.5 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 238-280 (61.6 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Non-Boosting Terrakion
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 312-368 (81.2 - 95.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 374-440 (115.7 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Manaphy
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 386-456 (113.1 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 150-178 (39 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mandibuzz
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 288-342 (67.9 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 128-151 (30.1 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

The combo means Mandibuzz won't be saved by Roost recovery and type change

Rotom-W
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 57-67 (14.8 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 78-92 (20.3 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 183-216 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Skarmory
I don't think this one needs calcs

That's 18/40 threats while retaining max power. Seems decently respectable. Tweaking EVs from power to bulk could probably add one or two more to the list. Not to mention, while not necessarily optimal, Mega Ampharos has a few other options, like an Agility set, which at max investment and +nature hits 414 can outspeed +nature Base 130. Granted it's outclassed, but it's an option nonetheless, and Ampharos' bulk means it could find set up on weaker or resisted attacks beyond forced switches.

Reason I don't suggest any higher is because while it can check the above decently well, it can't check anything more than once/more than one mon without Cleric support for healing, and hazard support is extremely important since it lacks passive recovery. It also can't do much of anything to Stall.

Ampharos tends to make a good answer to some high-tier threats, but unsupported, it can only manage one or two offensive threats before being overwhelmed.

Last edited:
can we just get off the topic of heliolisk and darmanitan and start discussing scolipede?
Actually this is a good point, we might need to revise some rankings now that BP is gone.

I don't see how something as niche as Scolipede is in B+. It should be a little lower.

The rest is probably fine, though. And I wonder why Vaporeon isn't ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)