ORAS OU Yesterday

Hello, I am back with an RMT featuring M-Metagross which I believe I've reached 1700 elo(not so sure because I mainly test teams nowadays and idrc) and is one of the better teams that I've made in ORAS. So without further ado, let's get into the analysis of the team.

Teambuilding Process

Originally started off with this core, Pursuit Metagross for Lati twins and Manaphy broke down mons that gave Metagross trouble.

Raikou was added as a check to fast electric-types like M-Manectric, Raikou and Thundurus and other specially offensive threats.

Landorus-T was added to check physical attackers like Talonflame, M-Metagross and whatnot as well as being my rocker and forming a nice VoltTurn Core with Raikou.

I struggled to break down Grass and Steel-types like and needed a Fire-type on this team to break them down so Volcarona was added to do so.

Now I needed hazard control and another check to stuff like Specs Keldeo and Charizard-Y so I added Latias. It also provided HW support which has helped quite a few times in the past healing up stuff like Volcarona and whatever was my wincon in the match.

Finally SubCM Keldeo was added as my team was really weak to Bisharp and Keldeo almost functioned like Manaphy anyway, appreciated Pursuit trapping and performed well vs bulkier teams.

Analysis

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch

Here is the star of the team, M-Metagross, one of the biggest threats in the metagame right now. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are my STABs which deal massive damage to so many pokemon in the metagame and are just not ideal moves to switch into. Ice Punch is for Landorus and Garchomp although it hasn't really helped me a lot, might as well try Grass Knot / Hone Claws / Hammer Arm. Pursuit is to trap the Lati twins so that the path is cleared for Keldeo to put in work.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

SubCM Keldeo is an amazing pokemon to use vs bulkier teams. This is my Bisharp check and my potential wincon in some games. Scald and Secret Sword are my STABs that hit really hard after one CM and these moves allow it to function as a nice wall-breaker for the team, breaks down the bulky Steel-types that trouble Metagross like Ferrothorn and Heatran.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raikou is my check to specially oriented threats with an Assault Vest. Volt Switch is to gain some momentum on Heatran / Lati@s / Ferro switch ins while Thunderbolt is my second STAB which deals decent damage to mons. Shadow Ball hits stuff like the Lati twins and Gengar while HP Ice is there for Garchomp, Gliscor and Landorus-T. A very important glue mon for the team and has really been important in the games that I've played in

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 16 SpD / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Landorus was added as a blanket check to stuff like SD Talonflame, DD M-Altaria, DD ZardX and Dragonite as well as forming a nice VoltTurn core with Raikou. Also sets up rocks which I needed for the team. Earthquake is a nice STAB that hits very hard while U-Turn allows me to grab momentum, Knock Off is for ridding pokemon of items. Very important for this team in all fairness by checking so many threats at once

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Volcarona is an amazingly good pokemon against underprepared teams and hits so hard after one Quiver Dance. Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz are my STABs that rip so many things after one QD and Giga Drain is a move that hits stuff like Quagsire, Keldeo and Rotom-W although HP Ground is an interesting choice over this. Passho Berry allows me to take a hit from SE Water-type moves and set up in their face and proceed to sweep.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Latias was added to control hazards and check specially offensive threats like Keldeo and Charizard-Y. It also provides some nice HW support to the team which is great in case my wincon in that game gets weakened. Psyshock and Draco Meteor are the STABs which hit stuff like Kyurem-B, Keldeo, and other mons so that they get low enough for other mons on the team to clean up.

Final Thoughts

There you have it, a team that has been performing quite well against players and a well rounded team overall.

I have grown so much as a player since the start of the year, ever since I got active here, as well as made so many friends on here. I've gotten a lot of support from the friends I made here who pushed me to become a better player and perform on a consistent basis.

Shoutouts

ArchPhantom
Alkov
Amir
BlackBloodz
bludz
BKC
Celticpride
daftmau5
DarkNostalgia
Dilwar
GeeMick
Invok3r
JohnYiu
Mack Bus
MattyBrollic
njnp
oml it's too ez
PoMMan
Prankster.
praj.pran
peiyao
Reverb
Reymedy
Snowy.
Stathakis
Tom Bus
theurbandear
ThePack
Zamrock

I got no use for yesterday
I'm gonna live I'm gonna love right now

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
The reason why this team is pretty good is because Keldegross is literally a Monster. xd Grats on making a good team man! Glad you did somethin with it!!! Okay, less silliness, onto rating.

I feel if you're not even gonna slash Grass Knot in Metagross' set, there's no point in giving it the set anyway, and your team seems to cover slowbro pretty well anyway, I don't think you need the Grass Knot set. Maybe run Soft Sand on Landorus-t? Just for the extra power and all, you don't have to, just a possibility. It's hard to rate because your team is that good ^^'

rip me no shoutouts :[

Grats! :D

I tested this team out for a few matches. I propose Hammer Arm on Mega Metagross over Ice Punch. You just get walled by Ferrothorn otherwise. You also have 4 SpA on your Mega Metagross which I'm sure is better invested elsewhere.

When I used it, I had some trouble getting Volcarona in as it's very dependent on Stealth Rock being off the field. Any suggestions?

Lando-T is a really nice mon for checking Sand Rush Excadrill and Talonflame.

AV Tornadus-Therian [Hurricane/Knock Off/U-Turn/Heatwave standard set] that is hitting its Hurricanes gives this team trouble as well.

Still. Was fun to test out. Good job.

Amir

Banned deucer.
Great Job brother, some small changes I'd do are:
  • Move The HP EVs into the SpD rather than the HP to take better effect of the Assault Vest.
  • Stone Edge>Knock Off on the Lando, cuz if he discovers you moveset....he will take effect with the SD Talonflame or DD with Zard and DD Dnite, I don't see Knock off on Lando that useful on this team mainly because you have Raikou to check Gengar. and run 29 IVs on the lando to outslow opposing Lando and get advantage with the U-turn.
Also don't forget to remove the SpA EVs on the Metagross and move them to SpD.
Overall rate: Great team and carry on. n_n

Interesting team yo!

I suggest replacing Pursuit with Earthquake on MegaMeta. It lets you hit Heatran and other Steels while also giving nice damage to hit Ferro with without the need of lowering your speed. Another change you might want to consider is Ice punch -> Bullet Punch. If you're finding Ice Punch not really helpful, bullet punch will be sure to come in handy as you can apply its priority to a variety of situations such as when Meta is paralyzed or when a low health sweeper has prepped up to sweep your team.

While the passho berry is actually pretty neat, I think some changes are needed, you actually have some options! Choose one of these for Volcarona:

• Fiery Dance -> Fire blast the lack of a damage boosting items makes Volc a lot weaker which isn't really good if you're trying to sweep
  • Passho berry -> Life Orb/Flame Plate/Insect Plate/Big root(for the lolz) ok you can ignore the big root lol. The lack of damage item really hurts Volc's damage output as well as sweeping potential, if you plan to keep Fiery Dance you should probably add some more "oomph" if that makes any sense
  • Passho Berry -> Lum Berry + (maybe)Fiery Dance -> Fire blast as neat as the berry is, Volc is quite vulnerable to status (even with Lati Healing wish, you don't want to resort to using it early simply to ward off a t-wave! NEVER DO THAT) and that 1 turn status negation should give you enough power and speed to tear through them.
I'm also feeling a little iffy about have SubCM as your Keldeo set even though you already have Volcarona as a sweeper. I'm not sure what you could replace it with so keep it for now. If you ever find it failing perhaps you should change the set or change the pokemon outright.

Hope I helped! :]

boudouche ran a similar team in wcop and ran coba berry on keld in order to lure out talon / torn-t for volc-- i reckon a change in set and use of coba berry would be better here.

Hey bro, this team is solid as fuck, might give it ago while i'm laddering up my alt over the next few days. I think although this team is really well built fundamentally, there are some set alterations you should make to stop your self from being shut down effectively by certain Pokemon. Anyway, enough small talk, ill hope straight into the rate for you and try and add some valuable input.

Ok the first thing I see when I look at your team, is just how annoying Slowbro is, as it can take on 5/6 (it can Slack off the damage from a Latias Draco Meteor and proceed to beat it due to no recovery) of your Pokemon and easily where down raikou with scald, while it switches out next turn and gains some Hp back. I also noticed that Hippowdon is in the same boat as slowbro as it can also handle 5/6 (Unless Volcarona has set up) of your Pokemon, and can proceed to get stealth rocks up and even spread status. This can be easily stopped though, if you run Grass Knot > Ice Punch, as it effectively lures in both pokemon, as usually they are both safe switch in and hits them for a clean 2hko. This is awesome, as it relieves some of the pressure off the current few Pokemon who are having to handle with these fat shits. Ice Punch is also not doing much, as 3/6 of your Pokemon can already handle them well and force them out.

Next thing I saw, was how your Keldeo is utilising the benefits of pursuit trap with it's current set, as it's not able to deal the maximum damage it can with the best coverage it could use. However, I'm not going to recommend Spec's, as you need to openly be able to change moves to deal with Ferro and not be locked into a resisted water move, as your team has one other alternate stop to Ferrothorn, which should be preserved. This is why I'm going to recommend to you the two best options I believe the Keldeo on your team should be running.

• Option 1 - Expert Belt + 4 attacks > Sub + CM, expert belt works as a perfect lure to thing Ferrothorn, Slowbro and Hippowdon etc. This cool, because all of these Pokemon are annoying as fuck to your team, and might be drawn in on a resisted hit if they see you have no item, as that usually means you choice locked in some way, which obviously you not and you cant proceed to blow them away. This is also cool because you gain the extra power and coverage need to take full advantage of the offensive support Metagross gives you, while not losing and residual health or being locked into a move.

• Option 2 - Life Orb + 4 Attacks > Sub + CM, I honestly prefer Expert belt over this, as once you fire off that first hit, your covers blown and your opponent will immediately know (if his brain is fully functioning) that you are Life Orb and they wont be lured into the Pokemon I mentioned above. You also do lose residual health turn per turn which is kind of shitty, but I still find this to be more optimal over your current set, as it's taking advantage yet again of that Metagross offensive support and blowing team back nicely.
Thirdly, all this is kind of just a small nitpick rather than any super optimal change, but I really do think you should be running 32 Hp / 252 SpA / 224+ Spe > 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe. I recommend this because raikou needs all the Special attack investment it can get, as it really isn't that strong of a Pokemon, especially without Spec's or some other item boosting its attack stat up. This change is also pretty optimal, because it still allows you to out speed base 111's and give you the identical bulk you originally had. You could also probably run max for Scolipede and other base 115, but Scolipede runs protect any way and if it's not, your versing and xtrashine and should click X. The rest of the relevant base 115's in the tier either rank touch you or are suicide leads.

Final little change I have to offer, is Lum Berry > Passho Berry, as cool as it is to be able to take a water move and set up or live an aqua jet when your low health, I think it's more optimal to not be status, as that can completely shut down your sweep and make you easily revenge killed or worn down in a matter of turns. Not having your sweep ruined by status is kind of huge, not just because you can close out games easier, but because your team only has one form of a set up sweep (unless you decide to keep CM Keldeo), so you only have one life to effectively set up verse your opponent and win the game.

Anyway, that's all the nitpicking I can do at this time of night (early morning actually ;;), sorry if there are some mistakes in here, but I wanted to pump this out as quickly as I could for you. Hope some of the things mentioned in this rate actually manage to help you and be beneficial to your team. Also like to congratulate you on your growth as a player, as I've known you a while now and you've really come a long way and I'm happy I've gotten to know you.

E: My internet crashed sadly, so this came out a lot later than expected. Sorry for the delay man.

I can see Weavile being a big threat to the team, nothing can really take a hit. (Barring Keldeo, but that gets worn down easily anyway)
Good RMT though

btw, where tf is the importable?!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hello friend, I really like this team, it seems very successful, using a classic Keldeo+Latias core with Keldeo as a sweeper so it can actually benefit from Latias being Pursuit trapped, and Volcarona as a secondary sweeper. From the looks of your team, you struggle to really do much to Heatran, which can be a problem. Keldeo can switch in, however it needs to fear a Toxic or even a Lava Plume burn (although that is way easier to win with than a Toxic). Landorus-T doesn't really want to switch into a potential burn, meaning that from my standpoint it requires unique double switches to play around (although this is to be expected of all teams). With Keldeo and Raikou, Garchomp and Landorus-T aren't really too much of threats, as Raikou itself can force out Garchomp and Landorus with HP Ice (hard to switch in tho) and Keldeo can simply spam Scald until it has safe area to clean up with Calm Mind. Keeping that in mind, I think that swapping Ice Punch for Hammer Arm would be your best bet on Metagross, as Hammer Arm allows you to lure in things like Heatran or Ferrothorn and 2HKO them. This allows Latias to spam Draco Meteor easier, allowing for an easier Keldeo sweep and an easier Volcarona sweep (Volcarona is essentially useless against Heatran teams).

The team is really solid, and this is proven with its peak (as well as the similarities to boudouche's team) and for this reason I think the team shouldn't really be changed all too much. Its solid enough against most threats and the only thing that it really needs to get past are a few defensive cores (a wellplayed Venutran core comes to mind as troublesome, as your main ways to get past Heatran are Keldeo and Landorus). For what its worth, seeing as Keldeo covers a good midgame sweeping cleaner and Volcarona can just clean up late game, I oppose Lum>Passho, as Passho gives it an easier time to set up against things like Starmie or Manaphy, while Lum I find is better if you are using it as a midgame sweeper, since you can ignore status that wouldn't otherwise be present in the late game. Again, congrats on your peak! Sorry if this reate seems a little bare!

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Since ur using Pursuit on Mega Meta to Pursuit Latis, actually HP Ground for Volca fits a lot more better in this team, not only to cover Tran, but bc Bug Buzz doesn't benefit ur team in virtually nothing after you Pursuit Lati, even being a secondary STAB (u already have Passho + Giga Drain for Bulky-waters, so it should be fine). Also, i believe that u can replace Fire Blast > Fiery Dance is a solid replacement, reaching immediate OHKO on Scarf Lando-T regardless of SR scenarios, and compensates que lack of KO ranges that couldn't be reached because of Bug Buzz (OHKOes frailer stuff like Mega Lop or Mega Alakazam, Kyu-B after SR damage, reaches a 2HKO against Unaware variations of Clef). I only see Tyranitar as a standard solid answer if u don't run Bug Buzz, but since u have Lando-T to pivot, and Keldgross to check, it alleviates any common issues for Volca.

Also, i know that sounds very strange and u can disconsider this suggestion as well, but i see Explosion + Normal Gem as a interesting option for Lando-T. Since ur running a team that works in a offensive pace, Explosion can work as a emmergency botton, and a lure for some of his checks / pivots (like Rotom-W, Slowbro, or Hippo usually), and if u manage to boom on them succesfully, u can sistematically open more space for Keld or Mega Meta to clean in the late-game, without giving up too much of its pivoting presence.

Wonderful team :toast:

Hey man.

As dice said I made a very similar team for my first wcop battle but with some differences I'll explain you now.

>
: I've been using Raikou a lot and it's a good mon but as you have probably seen, you really need something to outspeed Weavile. Also, Raikou's lack of a fire move make Ferrothorn extremely annoying, your only switchin is Volcarona and you don't even run Hammer Arm on Mega-Metagross. Not very optimal...

>
: Well I'd love using two megas but like I said, you really need Mega-Manectric in this team. I've recently been surprised by the fact I've never seen someone using MixRachi while it was an excellent set in DPP/BW, until I saw Cronenberg using it against Tesung. This set, particulary in a team with Volcarona is excellent because in ORAS, Jirachi has the ability to attract Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Heatran which are all known for being the best Stealth Rock setters in the tier. Jirachi can destroy them easily if you run an Expert Belt and Icy Wind / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ground. That's honestly amazing and this is why I recommend you to use it. Moreover, luring Hippowdon open holes for Mega-Manectric. You can also use Hidden Power Fire (like I do) if you're not friend with Ferrothorn.

>
: I would do this change because I think Roost on Lati is important (depends on the team, I prefer Healing Wish in some cases) and there is no reason to use Latias when you can Drop a Draco with Latios. That's my personal opinion, though. Latias is fine here.

: Toxic > Knock Off and Rocky Helmet > Leftovers to beat Hippowdon / SupportGarchomp / Landorus-T. The Rocky Helmet is very important for Excadrill / Talonflame / Garchomp / M-Lopunny / M-Metagross, etc.

: Lum Berry > Passho Berry is close to mandatory because you can actually avoid a paralysis from Clefable, Thundurus and Klefki. You can also take a Hurricane from Tornadus-T without fearing a confusion. I'd also recommand you to use Hidden Power Ground > Giga Drain because fuck Heatran (especially when you're using M-Gross without Hammer/EQ, Latias and Raikou). Fire Blast is by far better than Fiery Dance just because the additionnal power allows you to 2HKO/OHKO way more threats. Fiery Dance is only useful on the bulkyroost version.

: 4 attacks Coba Berry > SubCM allows to lure a Choice Scarf set pretty easily with the addition of having the possibility to take a hit from Talonflame who is Volcarona's worst nightmare and kill it. It is also very cool for Tornadus-T if he comes on an Icy Wind + Stealth Rock, you can then put it in +1 Volcarona's range without throwing your Keld.

I'll just let my version of this team since there are actually a lot of things to change in my opinion.
Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo-Resolute @ Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Grass Knot
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Have fun :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)