Media Your favourite albums?

Abbey Road is a solid album, especially side two
American Idiot by Green Day
Demon Days by Gorillaz
Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly
...And Out Come the Wolves by Rancid

topsters2.jpg

just a bunch of albums ive been listening to. ive been revisiting a lot of albums and trying to discover new artists that i didnt really give a chance (death grips, 100 gecs etc etc). TMS is definitely one of my favs of all time now

Havi

three of swords
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
late registration - kanye
foto - kota the friend
pony - rex orange county
IGOR - tyler, the creator
flower boy - tyler, the creator
to pimp a butterfly - kendrick
rodeo - travis scott
channel orange - frank ocean
some rap songs - earl sweatshirt
because the internet - gambino

those are prob my go-to albums that i can listen fully w/o skips. not in order, btw

Last edited:
late registration - kanye
foto - kota the friend
pony - rex orange county
IGOR - tyler, the creator
flower boy - tyler, the creator
to pimp a butterfly - kendrick
rodeo - travis scott
channel orange - frank ocean
some rap songs - earl sweatshirt
because the internet - gambino

those are prob my go-to albums that i can listen fully w/o skips. not in order, btw
Now this is some taste. Late Registration, To Pimp a Butterfly, Channel Orange, Some Rap Songs, and Because the Internet are in my top 10.

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
idk what the site linked in the first post is doing but its very suspicious heres a written list

dreamcatcher | dystopia: the tree of language
solid bangers all around. not a single weak track. sucks that handong couldnt do much on it though U_U
twice | feel special
only weak song is breakthrough but thats bc of the translation. original is a banger
yukika | soul lady
City pop stan zone.

i dont really listen to many full albums, i just have a bunch of individual songs saved to a youtube playlist bc spotify is lame

roman

Banned deucer.
The albums i've enjoyed the most over the last year or so, not ordered here but my absolute favorites are fiona followed by sza. I listen to some other stuff that i've liked, but i prefer the simple quick presentation of this. I think i'm gonna start doing it every year, it's cool to see everyone else's lists too

FE7E9004-B4A3-4A5E-8277-B8EF151F4480.png

Albums that have changed my life:

Hole - Live Through This

At the time, I was suppressed, closeted 12/13-year-old gay boy in their 1st year of a pious high school when I heard "Violet". I'm now 17, drifting through life languidly and aimlessly, but this album has me on a constant tether to the ground, reminding me why I am who I am today. It's corny and melodramatic but true. I didn't feel like like a boy or a girl or even an individual until Courtney Love screamed with the most satisfying rage I had ever heard, and it still holds up today. It's not my favourite album, but the weight it holds and the paves it pathed for me will forever remain unmatched. Notwithstanding that soliloquy and backstory, this album fucks in general.

Björk - Homogenic

My favourite album by my favourite artist. Björk is beyond compliments. Anyone that's listened to her knows she's a master of human emotion, churning out one feeling into an alien soundscape and evoking that feeling through some of the most emotive vocals ever is a singular talent that belongs to Björk. I adore all her studio albums, but Homogenic's confrontational confidence and hugeness make it insurmountably difficult to top. Many describe her as an alien or fairy or nymph due to her pixie appearance and wicked voice, but really, she's the most human of us all -- she's just cracked the code.

PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea

Tied with Björk as a favourite artist. I vividly remember listening to this for the first time; it was a sullen October and my last class was English, where we watched 1984 (the movie) and most people were half-asleep. I was feeling extra morose and pointless at this time period for reasons beyond me, and when I got back I came across this. At first, I felt nothing from the music; but I wound up spending the rest of that day listening to this on repeat. The songs soar, and there's a thin sheen faux-urban-city glam introspection glossed over a passionate and layered performance. I hope that made sense 'cause this album's actually really hard to describe. It may not sound like much at first, but this is the most rewarding album I've heard. Her other albums like Rid Of Me, Is This Desire?, Let England Shake and To Bring You My Love are all stellar too.

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

1. Innovative piano and percussion.
2. Auter-level lyricism
3. Unadorned, unmasked emotion

Lingua Ignota - CALIGULA

Whether these albums actually changed my life is debatable, but this one certainly did. Lingua Ignota rejects and subverts the patronising expectation of abuse victims being happy and peaceful and taking up some shit like drawing or yoga or whatever else. Instead, Kristin Hayter comes out and screams at you over the grandest, darkest orchestration with acerbic lyrics like "All I want is boundless love / All I know is violence" on I AM THE BEAST. Interestingly, "All I want is boundless love" is taken from Frank O'Hara’s 1957 poem “Meditations in an Emergency.” The line preceding this in his poem is “I am the least difficult of men"; she twists and contrasts male entitlement with the traumas many women experience at the hands of abusers. The titles here speak for itself; on IF THE POISON WON'T TAKE YOU, MY DOGS WILL she sympathises with Aileen Wurnoos, a famed serial killer who murdered her abusers -- Kristen knows how to elicit a reaction. Aside from all this, the music is genuinely brilliant, and her voice is the best I've ever heard.

Kate Bush - Never For Ever

Not her best, but most underrated. It boarded me on the Kate Bush train that never ends, so of course it's the album here.

FKA twigs - MAGDALENE

LP1 could be here too; that taught me you can be timid, meek, submissive and simultaneously bold, massive and amazing. But, MAGDALENE as a project is unimpeachable. Home with you is one of the best songs I've heard.

St. Vincent - MASSEDUCTION

This album is about a million things but they all come together. Everyone's slowly going insane and decomposing within from the crushing weight of normality and capitalism, so why not have some fun with it? The funnest, most satirical album. 10/10

Fever Ray - Plunge

A bit more forthcoming than MASSEDUCTION in its message, but yet again this album is insanely fun. "This country makes it hard to fuck" is one of the greatest lyrics ever.

Portishead - Third

Glacial, cool, tropical, anxious, ominous, mechanical. This album morphs into anything and everything depending on where you are, emotionally and physically, and what you want it to be. Threads is a bone-chillingly good song.

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

I'm young and obnoxious and artsy and woke and I know it. Best guitar riffs ever on here.

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

My friend once said "imagine if you lived a life that was as good a song as "Heaven or Las Vegas". I don't think that's possible, but I can try. Closing track on this is euphoria.

Sigúr Ros - Ágætis byrjun

If there were an elevator to heaven, I hope this is what they play. How do you even make a song as ethereal as Svefn-g-englar. I don't know.

The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing

Token nostalgia album. Would play this every day when I was like 7 lol, it's still amazing to me and if you were alive and British in the naughties you've prob heard some tracks off this.

Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

See my username. Was obsessed with this when I was around 13-14 and it's still forever iconic. Her talent and flow are unrivalled by ANY rapper in the 2010s. 1991 EP and Fantasea mixtape are also historic pieces in alternative gay music. Listening to this just makes you wholly in control in your life; although many know her as a twitter personality with contentious views and a sharp tongue, her music is no less intense and extreme and it's phenomenal.

Kelela - Take Me Apart

A clean, cutting album with very few flaws. Her whole discography is pretty much immaculate. Her voice undulates in the flexible electronic production to create a plane of emotional dancey space. It's dope.

OKAY i rambled for so long jesus, i could go on and add about 10 more albums here by different artists but ultimately nobody cares to listen or talk about these albums as much as me. Other artists that have shaped me include: ANOHNI, Uboa, Arca, SOPHIE (coincidentally all trans musicians, yay!), Charli XCX (she doesn't have a defying one album to me, she's just great and an icon), Cibo Matto, The Knife, Chairlift (and Caroline Polachek), M.I.A., shygirl, f(x), Mondo Grosso and Kali Uchis etc etc. OK bye!!!

Last edited:
My favourite album is Loveless - My Bloody Valentine

It’s an iconic shoegaze album, I’m not really one for trying to make myself sound cool by explaining why particular sounds appeal to me. The best way to see how you’d like it is to give it a listen. Enjoy!

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Hi, let's talk music!

When I think of my favorite album of all time, it really has to be ARTPOP for me. I can't think of any record I have more memories with and having more fun listening to than this, even 7 years past it's controversial release. This album didn't get a ton of praise at its release because it was much ahead of its time. ARTPOP fits perfectly into our current atmosphere, especially when electronic dance music and 80s and 90s inspired dance-pop is back into the light of popularity.

Anyone who is even remotely a pop or dance music fan should give this album a listen. It gives a lot of insight into what may have inspired the dance music of today, even Gaga's own follow-up in Chromatica.

My Favorites: G.U.Y., Sexxx Dreams, Swine, Donatella, Fashion!, Applause
Song(s) You May Dislike: Jewels N' Drugs

Fetch The Bolt Cutters is the only album that made me genuinely cry all the way through. The production and lyrics are raw, the messages are bombastic, some songs are pop, some songs are rock, and some songs are entirely Fiona Apple. After nine entire years after her near-masterpiece The Idler Wheel, Fiona Apple drops this masterpiece during quarantine. The production uses various household objects, from pots and pans as percussion to even dog barks for atmosphere.

Perhaps what stands out to me the most about this album is it's messaging. It reminds me of Lemonade in that way. Fiona talks a lot about love on this record and since this is Fiona Apple, it's not in the way you might expect. I Want You To Love Me is certainly a track about being in love. However, much deeper in the album you find songs like Rack of His, Newspaper, and Ladies, all of which have some incredibly heart-wrenching and empowering lyrics that expose her deepest struggles regarding her dating life.

It's no secret that this album is at least really fucking good. If you're interested in raw, innovative music, this album is for you. I still encourage everyone to listen to this album, though, as it gives some shocking insight into Fiona's personal life, as well as some songs which advocate for women empowerment.

My Favorites: I Want You To Love Me, Shameika, Under the Table, Relay, Rack of His, Newspaper, Ladies, Cosmonauts, For Her
Song(s) You May Dislike: Drumset, On I Go

Holy shit this album is fantastic. As a big of a popstar as she is, the general public wouldn't expect Taylor Swift to release a record quite this different from her normal pop structure. However, she (and honestly we fans) knew she could do it. It was just a matter of when. Surprisingly, Taylor Swift dropped this incredible record a few weeks ago out of nowhere with no promotion. cardigan was released with a music video alongside the album's release giving it a single, but still no promotion nonetheless.

While I've realized this album isn't anything extraordinary when it comes to being innovative, Swift takes a foundation laid out to her by several genres and masterfully combines them. The first three tracks are lowkey pop tracks. In fact, they sound like they were potential cuts from her last release, Lover. Yet somehow the atmosphere and the focus on the vocals that the production creates makes them sound much more ethereal and meaningful than they are (in a great way).

Tracks like my tears ricochet, mirrorball, seven, and peace are mystical and dreamy songs reflecting on Swift's childhood and past relationships. I didn't think anything could sound more nostalgic than a Lorde record, but these songs may have taken the crown from that. Personally, I feel myself reflecting back on relationships I've been in, the good times and the bad (depending on the song). A lot of songs do that for me, but no songs have gotten me quite so lost in those memories but these.

I could talk for hours about how incredible the songwriting is (and how the production compliments it) but I think I've talked enough. Listen. To. This. Album. It's a must for anyone who gets the comment "You only listen to pop music, lol." This is also a must for anyone who is trying to avoid pop music like the plague. There's a lot to be taken from this album, whether you be an average listener, aspiring musician, or an already established musician. Listen to folklore.

Favorite Tracks: the 1, the last great american dynasty, exile, my tears ricochet, mirrorball, august, this is me trying, invisible string, mad woman, betty (HOLY SHIT BETTY IS SO GOOD), peace
Song(s) You May Dislike: epiphany

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna post more albums later because I have like 80 million others that I want to talk about, but this is all I care writing about for right now. It's late and I need to go to bed, lol.

Written is easier to follow

15. Junichi Masuda & Go Ichinose - Pokémon Gold & Silver
Route 42/43/44 / Lake of Rage

14. Nirvana - Nevermind
Stay Away

13. Slayer - Reign in Blood
Postmortem

12. The Beatles - The Beatles (aka the White Album)
Happiness is a Warm Gun

11. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Miles Runs the Voodoo Down

10. Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown
The title track is the single greatest venting of frustration ever recorded. The others aren't far behind.
Full EP (4 songs in 5 minutes)

9. Slowdive - Souvlaki
Loveless is of course amazing, but this manages to beat it out just by a bit.
When the Sun Hits
Souvlaki Space Station

8. Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Ensnares you in its nervous excitement, and you have no choice but to move!
Crosseyed and Painless
The Great Curve

7. Massacra - Final Holocaust
The most dynamic, ferocious death metal of all time.
Apocalyptic Warriors
Beyond the Prophecy

6. Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Haunting and ominous, yet also mystical, entrancing, and beckoning you to come in.
Xavier
Cantara

5. Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
Nobody exudes sheer menace like L does. This album's atmosphere is off the charts. Oh, and the punchlines. Best ever.
MVP
Danger Zone

4. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
As scathing as it is hilarious. Musically, it's furious, it's heavy, and it's catchy as hell between the faux-surf guitar and sarcastic singsong vocal delivery.
When Ya Get Drafted
Drug Me

3. Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Makes the most out of its metal qualities as a tool for getting lost in the layered, gorgeous shimmering haze. A nocturnal Loveless is a good comparison.
Fog's Kiss
Title track

2. Swans - The Seer
Patience required, but rewarding like nothing else. Immense variety between tracks, but the overall strength - the mesmerizingly crafted rhythms - are always present as tension is constantly, gradually built until it explodes.
The Apostate

1. The Stooges - Funhouse
Funk and jazz influences come together to form a record that swings and grooves just as hard as it rocks. Incidentally, it rocks harder and tighter than most any other band you could care to name, constantly driving forward with searing intensity. Songs become increasingly more free-form and unhinged as the album goes on, culminating in a meltdown unmatched in its utterly deranged chaos.
Loose
Title track

Katy

Banned deucer.
My favorite Albums of all time in no particular order or ranking:

1. Brandy - Full Moon
  2. Ariana Grande - Sweetener
  3. Ariana Grande - thank u, next
  4. Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
  5. Christina Aguilera - Stripped
  6. Lady Gaga - Artpop
  7. Lady Gaga - the Fame
  8. Lady Gaga - Born this way / Chromatica (they tie since I can't decide)
  9. Eminem - Slim Shady LP
  10. Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
  11. Eminem - The Eminem Show
  12. J.Cole - 4 your eyez only
  13. The Weeknd - Starboy
  14. The Weeknd - After Hours
  15. Ja Rule - Pain is Love
  16. Ja Rule - The last temptation
  17. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love
  18. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City
  19. Kendrick Lamar - Damn
  20. Sia - 1000 forms of fear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)