Media Your favourite albums?

Charles Hamilton - The Pink Lavalamp

My favorite album of all time, probably. Charles is a phenomenally interesting artist, also probably my favorite artist. As someone who suffers from a lot of the same mental troubles that I do, Charles speaks to the raw pain that I'll feel in a way I've never heard anyone else do. "I'll Be Around", the penultimate song of the album, is something I'd consider a masterpiece. I've never heard anyone (or, truthfully, seen anyone in any form of fiction or media) get across the feeling of sorrow toward your friends for your inability to truly show your appreciation towards them the way you want to the way he does while you self destruct independent of their offered help.

It's not an easy work imo. He's not really an easy artist. His catalogue of music is fucking insane, really, if you look into it you'll find he was an artist on the path for superstardom who lost it all to drugs and mental illness, refusing to compromise even slightly on anything he released, and he basically put up thousands of tracks for free. Charles has had a bit of a comeback in later years and he seems to be doing better, but goddamn if the earlier phase isn't relatable.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
It looks like I listen to a lot of rap, but I actually probably listen to most genres equally. Gonna bold the recommendations/ones people maybe haven't listened to but should. I probably missed out loads. Heck, I'll put my favourite song beside each one.
No specific order
Kanye West - College Dropout We Don't Care
Kanye West - Graduation Homecoming
Kanye West - Late Registration Heard Em Say
Nas - Illmatic NY State of Mind
Nas - Street's Disciple Nazareth Savage
Fugees - The Score Fu-Gee-La
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.A.A.d City m.A.A.d City
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly Hood Politics
Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$ Hazeus View
Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights Hilary $wank
A Tribe Called Qwest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm Bonita Applebum
Meek Mill - Don't Panic I'm a Boss
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides Mathematics
Jay-Z - 4:44 Story of OJ

Ghetts - Freedom of Speech Mountain
Ghetts - Calm Before the Storm Doesin it Now
Ghetts - Ghetto Gospel: New Testament Shellington Crescent
Kano - Hoodies All Summer Class of Deja
Kano - Made in the Manor 3 Wheel-ups
Tempa T - All Star Pars Tempz x Esco
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner Jus a Rascal
Wiley - Tunnel Vision Volumes 1-4 Nightbus Dubplate
Nines - Church Road to Hollywood (biggest recommendation seriously please listen to this) Intro
Blade Brown - Bags and Boxes Volumes 1-4 Intro (3)
Giggs - Walk in da Park Pain is the Essence (ft Dubz)
Giggs - Let em ave it Reminiscing
Skepta - Microphone Champion Look Out (ft. Giggs)
J Hus - Common Sense Did U See?
P Money - Money Over Everyone 3 Where and When?
Joe Black - Realionaire Usual Suspects

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland All Along The Watchtower
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced Purple Haze
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV Stairway to Heaven
The Police - Reggatta De Blanc Message in a Bottle
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not Mardy Bum
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape Everlong
Lower Than Atlantis - Changing Tune Love Someone Else (this is my alarm that I set when I'm late in the morning)
Blink 182 - Neighbourhoods Kaleidoscope
Sum41 - All Killer, No Filler Fat Lip
Screeching Weasel - Boogadaboogadaboogada! Supermarket Fantasy
Feeder - Echo Park Seven Days in the Sun
Feeder - Polythene High
Feeder - Yesterday Went Too Soon Insomnia (every stream of these pays my dad and by extension me)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication Scar Tissue

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue Freddie Freeloader
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly Give Me Your Love
Daft Punk - Discovery Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Joji - Ballads 1 Can't Get Over You
Beyonce - B'Day Deja Vu
Sean Paul - Dutty Rock Like Glue
Ne-Yo - In My Own Words So Sick
Cassie - Cassie Ditto

Last edited:
The first album I bought on my own, in 2003. I was eleven years old. My parents separated that year. I got kicked out of college. I was a real dunce. Besides, I think I still am. I remember every time my dad drove me to school, listening to this album, cranking up the volume in the car, along with Slipknot's. Excuse me for my broken English. I am French.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
These are probably the albums I listen to the most these days as albums, without skipping. Diva has a stupid last throwaway track that is terrible imo, but since it's last I ignore it. A lot of my time listening this year has been while working from home, hence the large overrepresentation of reasonably mellow indie-pop-ish singer songwriters. They make for easy listening.

If I was gonna point out one album here since it's the least known it would be the Shadowboxers' Red Room. It's got tight vocal harmonies and some good keyboard driven rock.

topsters2.png

topsters2.jpg

A lot of basic 60's/70's but its what I like so idc. Huge amount of bluesy influences, and a LOT of folk/70s pop. Like every other thing on here, Abbey Road and Revolver are in there. Let it be is by FAR the worst put together album so its very close to the end of my albums I listen to, seriously just listen to Let It Be...Naked.

Keeping on the subject of the beatles, Sgt. Peppers I feel is a tad overrated for me anyways. Mr Kite is kinda wack, and I'm not too much of a fan of the more unique things on the album. However, it's saving grace is the first 5 tracks of the album. All bops to bops.

There's one album out of all of these that doesn't belong, and thats Foster The People's Torches from 2011. This is the only album from recent times that I can enjoy and vibe to. Foster The People I enjoy from time to time anyways, but this album specifically is great.

While the White Album from the Beatles is my favorite Beatles Album, the fact that Revolution 9 exists hurts my soul, so S&G's Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme takes the spot for my #1. The first album I can say I ever loved, and it just brings back so much peace and calm every time I listen to it. It's my favorite album from one of my favorite duos, their voices and lyrics can melt the soul of the hardest rock. Each track has it's own meaning that anyone can relate to, and theres some fun ones in there to. Overall an 100000/10 album that everyone should at least try imo.

Other then those, a lot of these albums are freakin awesome and you should check them out if you listen to stuff like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or enjoy stuff like Bob Dylan.

these are just my opinions and I dont mean to bash anyones taste in music. music tastes are subjective, as long as you like your music, thats all you need. thanks for reading

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What am I doing in this thread?

Well with my first year dedicated to album listening over, I figured I'd come here and share my new topster. It's a little different from the list in my thread. Only one album per artist (except for Labyrinth, which I couldn't not include) and the estimated score I gave to albums I've recently listened to is a bit harsher.

topsters242.jpg

topsters2100.jpg

Favourite albums...

Queen II by Queen and The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie.

Other favourites by my two musical obsessions, Queen and Bowie...

... Innuendo, A Night At The Opera, Sheer Heart Attack and News Of The World by Queen.

... Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and Blackstar by David Bowie.

Others... Ten by Pearl Jam, Century Child and Once by Nightwish, In Rock and Machine Head by Deep Purple, All The Young Dudes by Mott The Hoople, Led Zeppelin I, II, III and IV by Led Zeppelin, Who's Next and Tommy by The Who, Rising by Rainbow, Use Your Illusion I and II by Guns N' Roses, Paranoid by Black Sabbath, Ace Of Spades by Motörhead, The Colour And The Shape by Foo Fighters, Transformer by Lou Reed, The White Album and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles, Band On The Run by Paul McCartney, Ghost Of A Rose by Blackmore's Night, Lust For Life, The Idiot and Post Pop Depression by Iggy Pop, Back To The Light and Another World by Brian May...

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ever since last post (7/31) I listened to some new stuff.
  • The Slow Rush by Tame Impala
  • Nectar by Joji
  • AmarElo by Emicida (Brazilian artist so the songs are in portuguese)
  • Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa
  • Faces by Bixarte (Also brazilian)
  • Queen of the Clouds by Tove Lo (currently listening and loving it)
albums.png

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I didn't even know this was a thing but here's the main album i've been listening too.

eabba3d6f8f1e03ca77f2db034783224.1000x1000x1.jpg

A bit different from the music being posted lately. Johnny Manchild and The Poor Bastards is an Oklahoma-based indie band. The seven-piece alt-rock group draws inspiration from multiple genres including rock, funk, jazz, blues, and ska. I'd definitely recommend a listen if it sounds like something you'd like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)