Media Yu-Gi-Oh! Discussion: MK3

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So they've released a statement saying that they'll give anyone who ended in Platinum the gems from Silver 4 to Gold 5. While this is better since it fixes the issue of "ranking to plat 2 then dropping all the way to gold 5 is literally better than ranking to plat 1 for gems", I'm still somewhat annoyed that players won't get the gems from previous ranks (at the very least).

Hopefully the ranked system will improve like they've said.
This has officially been corrected, all Plat players (like me) have received the gem rewards for the ranks they missed (600 gems for me).

Does Imperial Iron Wall let you spam Quillbolt Hedgehog? I've been wanting to build a Cannon Soldier deck, but I don't really know to get a lot of special summons in a turn

Does Imperial Iron Wall let you spam Quillbolt Hedgehog? I've been wanting to build a Cannon Soldier deck, but I don't really know to get a lot of special summons in a turn
It does, this is an old interaction and is too slow to be useful these days though, not to mention both are basically unsearchable. If you want to use Cannon Soldier, you're probably better off aiming for a glass cannon FTK loop deck like Six Samurai or Gouki. There's no shortage of combos that do it (See: every YouTube clickbait ever), the challenge is not dying to the first handtrap.

It does, this is an old interaction and is too slow to be useful these days though, not to mention both are basically unsearchable. If you want to use Cannon Soldier, you're probably better off aiming for a glass cannon FTK loop deck like Six Samurai or Gouki. There's no shortage of combos that do it (See: every YouTube clickbait ever), the challenge is not dying to the first handtrap.
I found a cool sidepiece for Cannon Soldier: Dark Lair lets you use all your opponent's monsters for ammo, and then makes more ammo as tokens

I found a cool sidepiece for Cannon Soldier: Dark Lair lets you use all your opponent's monsters for ammo, and then makes more ammo as tokens
Again, this is way too slow. If you are using Cannon Soldier, and your opponent has monsters on board, chances are you are losing. Especially if you have to end turn to get tokens.
There is a general rule for these situations: The only Life Point that actually matters is the last one. If you do 7500 damage with Cannon Soldier and pass with no cards left, you lose. That's why Cannon Soldier only sees play in FTK loops that aim to win with burn damage before your opponent takes a turn.
Anyway, I made a thing. I hate it. But despite me making it for a meme it actually works because fuck Adventure engine.
Main Deck (40 cards):
3x Virtual World Kirin - Lili
3x Virtual World Roshi - Laolao
3x Virtual World Mai-Hime - Lulu
2x Virtual World Hime - Nyannyan
3x Virtual World Xiezhi - Jiji
3x Virtual World City - Kauwloon
3x Virtual World Gate - Qinglong
1x Virtual World Gate - Chuche
1x Virtual World Gate - Xuanwu
1x Wandering Gryphon Rider
3x Water Enchantress of the Temple
3x Rite of Aramesir
1x Fateful Adventure
1x Dracoback, the Rideable Dragon
2x Emergency Teleport
1x PSY-Frame Driver
3x PSY-Framegear Gamma
3x Infinite Impermanence
Extra Deck:
1x Virtual World Kyubi - Shenshen
1x Divine Arsenal AA-ZEUS - Sky Thunder
1x Muddy Mudragon
1x Invoked Caliga
1x Stardust Charge Warrior
1x Coral Dragon
1x Number 75: Bamboozling Gossip Shadow
1x Number 39: Utopia Beyond
1x Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon
1x Ultimaya Tzolkin
1x Stellar Wind Wolfrayet
1x Virtual World Phoenix - Fanfan
1x The Phantom Knights of Break Sword
1x Number 49: Fortune Tune
1x Vermillion Dragon Mech
---------
Side Deck (WIP):
3x Skill Drain
3x Forbidden Droplet
1x Red Reboot
1x Harpie's Feather Duster
1x Dinowrestler Pankratops
3x Droll & Lock Bird
3x Lightning Storm
I hate it I hate it I hate it it works soooo well I want to die.
Anyway, even though I suck at playing Virtual World, this deck is potent as all hell. There's the obvious synergy of VW doesn't use a Normal Summon therefore engine works, but there is so many more interactions you discover playing the deck that makes it just frankly BS. Sample combo:
  1. Kauwloon for Chuche. Lulu target Chuche, send Qinglong and add Lili to summon self.
  2. Qinglong GY effect add Jiji, discard Enchantress. (Enchantress is genuinely broken to open lmao, free real estate)
  3. Lili send Nyannyan (+optional extra Qinglong), Jiji send Xuanwu, summon both.
  4. Synchro: Lulu+Jiji into Coral Dragon, summon Ultimaya Tzolkin using Coral Dragon and Lili, Coral Dragon draw 1.
  5. Enchantress banish self from GY to add Rite, Set Rite and Tzolkin summons Crystal Wing.
  6. Activate Rite, summoning token and fetching Journey.
  7. Xuanwu summon Jiji discarding the Coral draw, Nyannyan summon self as Tuner, Journey add Dracoback to hand.
  8. Synchro: Jiji+Nyannyan into Muddy Mudragon, Fusion: Mudragon+Tzolkin into Invoked Caliga.
  9. Journey add Gryphon discard Dracoback, Dracoback equip self to token.
  10. Extender: Laolao send whatever special Jiji for Shenshen.
  11. End Phase: Add back Lulu thanks to Jiji.
So you end on Crystal Wing+Caliga+live Chuche like the normal combo, but you also have Gryphon in hand for free. What this means is that if your opponent draws the Dark Ruler or whatever blowout, you still get to drop Gryphon (the Summon is a Quick) and prevent your opponent setting up. In addition, if your opponent Imperms the Tzolkin, you just end on Gryphon+Caliga+live Chuche, so your opponent is still boned.

What is even dumber though, is the amount of synergy the two engines share in the grind game. Shenshen can return a banished monster to the GY every turn. So return Enchantress, who can then add from GY or Deck a copy of Rite every turn to serve as discard fodder for your Gates. This doesn't sound that big, but being forced to discard your topdeck every turn in simplified gamestates just to play the game is kinda painful in normal VW. Like, Enchantress can in theory do normal level 3 extender stuff if you already have Rite or be a Normal summon, but I find myself usually just discarding it to fetch another Rite, then discarding that too! In addition, Dracoback and Gryphon smash backrow, which VW kinda struggles with usually.

I hate how easy this engine is to just throw into things, and this is a perfect example. And it doesn't just work, it works really, really well. Like, 'all my bad hands are the ones where I have to rely on just the VW cards' well. The only real downside is it eats a fair few techslots but in return the ceiling is just broken. And it doesn't brick. Open Journey? Just add Enchantress, discard it then add Rite for Dracoback stuff or more discard fodder. Gryphon and Dracoback I guess are bricks but you just discard them anyway, or you can play Beatrice to get them live if you're feeling bold.

I just had the most genius. Idiotic. Idea for an OTK ever.

Jinzo.jpg

Jinzo #7 is kind of the black sheep of the Jinzo family. He's extremely weak at first glance, but he has properties that make him perfect for our OTK: His Machine typing makes him a target for Limiter Removal, and his measly 500 ATK means he is compatible with Machine Duplication.

So here's the idea:
1. Play Jinzo #7 from the hand.
2. Duplicate him with Machine Duplication. Now you have 3 Jinzo #7.
3. Boost each to a power of around 2700 minimum. If you can play 3 Limiter Removals in a turn, that works, but you'll probably need other ways to boost them as well.
4. Profit!

Thanks for reading my idiot deck idea

I just had the most genius. Idiotic. Idea for an OTK ever.

View attachment 407598

Jinzo #7 is kind of the black sheep of the Jinzo family. He's extremely weak at first glance, but he has properties that make him perfect for our OTK: His Machine typing makes him a target for Limiter Removal, and his measly 500 ATK means he is compatible with Machine Duplication.

So here's the idea:
1. Play Jinzo #7 from the hand.
2. Duplicate him with Machine Duplication. Now you have 3 Jinzo #7.
3. Boost each to a power of around 2700 minimum. If you can play 3 Limiter Removals in a turn, that works, but you'll probably need other ways to boost them as well.
4. Profit!

Thanks for reading my idiot deck idea
I actually built this back in 2007 format, needless to say it was terrible lol. It basically boiled down to a burn deck where you had to go second and your opponent could Mirror Force you. In the event you opened your 1-of Level Limit Area or Gravity Bind you could do some funnies by stopping your opponent just running over them next turn, but nothing a normal burn deck couldn't do better.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Anyone playing the XYZ Festival? I'm having a blast using Trains. Had some cool matches vs Frogs, Raidraptors, Zoodiacs, and Witchcrafters

Ton of self destruct players tho cuz you get medals win or lose but w/e lol, you wanna waste time grinding be my guest.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
They tweaked the medal count so that you get 500 for a win instead of 100, but there are still tons of bozos out there blowing themselves up for easy medals. This is the shitstain of a deck I used to scoop up my medals:

Kaiser + Towers beats essentially everything they wanna throw at you. Going second kinda sucks though, haha.

Does anyone have any info on the meta of very early OCG formats? I'm curious about them, it was apparently a time where cards like Hitotsume Giant, Celtic Guardian, and Uraby were considered the best cards (all at different points)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have any info on the meta of very early OCG formats? I'm curious about them, it was apparently a time where cards like Hitotsume Giant, Celtic Guardian, and Uraby were considered the best cards (all at different points)
These are long watches but are great looks into yugioh's early history in Japan.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Made Plat 1 this season.

1646027464371.png

I don't even think this is the most unfair deck of the format, it's just the easiest.

Also Xyz festival was super fun, unfortunately idt Synchro festival will be as fun for me, I don't have any real synchro decks (and I don't wanna go in w/ structure deck shiranui lmao)

Not related to competitive just a story I have. So I was looking at my cards and one began to split. I thought it was just ruined (and it was a Gear Gigant X, one of my best cards, I have a small collection), but no. There was just a Digitron stuck to it. The Digitron I don't remember seeing since 6th grade. (I'm a sophomore now)

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I've played master duel an obscene amount. It's been my first real exposure to player v player modern yugioh and I was kinda skeptical going in. Really stuck to edison-2011ish formats before this so it was a huge adjustment. I've played rokket dragon link p much exclusively through the first couple seasons and now this one too, getting to plat 1 season 2 and now season 3 too, and it's been so so fun as I've come to understand the archetype and the game overall better and better. The format itself sucks objectively but its been a pleasant surprise with how much time and enjoyment I've gotten out of it. Random thoughts:
  • I have no idea why imperial order, true king of all calamities, and rhongo are allowed among some others but those are the main absurdly busted ones that come to mind
  • Tri-brigade is definitely the most fair and enjoyable to play against of the top decks, but revolt is such an insane card that idk how they even came up with it
  • Beating drytron gives me wayyyy too much satisfaction no matter the circumstances, good god fuck that deck. Thank god droplet exists.
  • Very biased as a combo player but it seems like a fuck ton of games just come down to who has maxx c, who can or can't respond to it, who can't get something up half decent enough through it to not get otk'd after passing, etc. Hate the card so so much.
  • Again very biased but good god eldlich makes me want to die. Something something flip skill drain and io and profit. They ALWAYS have io. Honestly hate how much bo1 favors them since a good amount of handtraps are basically dead into them and you can't run 5000 going second cards without bricking in every other mu.
  • I thought the speed of the game would really throw me off but it's been a nice change of pace. The games where both players completely run out of resources and its a cripple fight to the finish are even funnier/more intense because of it. Playing 2011 again the other day was so weird when a duel took 20ish turns.
  • The ranked system also kinda sucks but shrug. Season 2 especially I still played a fuck ton after reaching plat 1 and it was still fun to play against the best decks over and over and learn more about what they're trying to do.
Lot of bitching but this is the most I've had fun playing a game basically since I started playing mons however many years ago. Not a super high bar since I'm not much of a gamer but yeah. Just picked up a rock combo deck to go further along the path of absolute degeneracy and it should be fun.

Last edited:

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
steam_oiQB6Qf7Vq.png

This is with a full time job and being a student, I haven't laddered something this much since the summer in high school with showdown.

I adore the games visuals and what (at least I believe it is) trying to achieve in being THE online sim for Yu-Gi-Oh, however I do mirror alot of Paks complaints regarding the game. I got to Plat 3 season one with Thunder Dragons and Plat 1 last season with Lunalight fusions, both rogue decks that are super fun and took lots of practice and playing to fully understand and learn to play, which is what I personally find most enjoyable about modern Yu-Gi-Oh and something Goats format lacks almost completely and something I wish Edison format had more of. Looking in from the outside playing old formats New Yu-Gi-Oh seemed braindead and just like two people playing solitaire next to each other, however Ive learned that isn't the case and navigating around outing a difficult board is genuinely so much fun.

Aside from banning shit fuck horse ass Skill Drain and Imperial Order god how are these cards legal are you fucking kidding me, I'd obviously like to see the ability to change Master Rules and Errata text so that old formats can be played casually (or if were super lucky, competitively.) As much as I've come to enjoy modern Yu-Gi-Oh I don't really feel the urge to play it with my friends directly despite being in call with like 4 people the majority of the time I play, unlike when I play older formats. This has a lot to do with the match up based nature of the era, which is usually remedied by side decking in the TCG and OCG. However since its BO1 that's not an option here, and if you lose you lose.

I'm nowhere near getting burned out for the moment so we'll see how long this lasts, this season I'm going for Plat 1 again but with Gren Maju, so wish me luck in summoning big idiot and attacking for game.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I managed to get to Plat V in Master Duel, playing Nekroz Dogmatika as my deck of choice. I did this on stream, so here's the VOD:

If you're interested, here's the list as-is. It's nothing exceptional.
1650319155704.png

If you plan on building this yourself, do the following;
  • Replace Shurit and the 3rd Ecclesia for 2 extra Ash Blossoms. I don't run 3 because, uh, I've been irresponsible and not crafted them yet.
  • Add Cupid Pitch and Geomathmech Final Sigma to the Extra Deck, replacing Cross-Sheep and El Shaddoll Apkallone. You can make this during the standard Diviner opening like this. It's an FTK against some decks on the ladder and will serve you very well. Cross-Sheep is draw power and Apkallone is usually meant for infinite Punishment/Brionac fodder but both rarely actually come up. Sigma is something you can make quite safely, and if you don't, it's an L12 for swarming the field.
Otherwise, it's basically perfect.

Note that this isn't your average Dogmatika list, you'll be using stuff like Titaniklad and Nadir Servant very differently due to the interactions the archetype has with Nekroz. For instance, you'll often be sending Herald to get White Knight, then using Herald to bridge into the Nekroz side of the deck. Maximus and Ritual Sanctuary are similar. It's not too difficult for an experienced player to pick up, but just know you'll be out of your usual comfort zone.

I've also been playing an irl list at locals for a while now and been topping pretty consistently. I've been using a Kristya build recently but started building it into this;
1650319875470.png

Just waiting on Final Sigma to make this a reality, it's a really nice development in the deck that's basically an FTK against Floowandereeze, our worst matchup in the meta right now.

I actually run a site for the Nekroz Discord server that you can find here, which gives a modern take on the archetype as well as sample decklists and Diviner combos. Much of the information held there is enough for you to pilot this deck to an intermediate level.

Last edited:
Do you think Catapult Turtle could come back with its original text? Magical Scientist doesn't exist ingame anymore, and several of the "Tribute 1 for damage" cards are allowed to exist, at least in the TCG. Summoning loops you can do with it can be done just as well with Cannon Soldier, or even better (Toon can be searched, and both can use monsters with low or nonexistent ATK), and it seems like it'd be fairly difficult to summon monsters that add up to 16000 ATK without doing something that Cannon Soldier can do as well.

EDIT: also the fact that Turtle requires a Tribute. Is it just an issue of the nature of the half ATK thing?

Segmr

El Bicho
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you think Catapult Turtle could come back with its original text? Magical Scientist doesn't exist ingame anymore, and several of the "Tribute 1 for damage" cards are allowed to exist, at least in the TCG. Summoning loops you can do with it can be done just as well with Cannon Soldier, or even better (Toon can be searched, and both can use monsters with low or nonexistent ATK), and it seems like it'd be fairly difficult to summon monsters that add up to 16000 ATK without doing something that Cannon Soldier can do as well.

EDIT: also the fact that Turtle requires a Tribute. Is it just an issue of the nature of the half ATK thing?
Considering all variants of cannon soldier, a card that is significantly worse at all levels got banned in ocg for a reason and that there already are catapult turtle ftks with the nerfed text, there's really no reason to bring back a card that can only be used in a degenerate fashion and that will be exclusively used to open up windows for decks such as those.
Overall the problem with catapult turtle is that it's just a more efficient cannon soldier when the hard once per turn is removed, honestly scientist has little to nothing to do with it anymore.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've made it to Platinum I in both March and April using this:
1650662297169.png

I started from a super-budget version of Megalith with an Impcantation engine. Megalith is an incredibly cheap archetype with a decent power level, with only one SR of which you don't even need multiple copies (also, I was almost disappointed by the fact that they were everywhere during the NR festival, because before that opponents didn't really know what the cards did). Later on, I spent some gems on Drytron packs and I ditched Impcantation.

The turn 1 board it puts up is not particularly impressive (I aim for Phul + Dweller + Masquerena), what stands out is the grind game, as it can recycle resources efficiently between the Drytron ritual spell and the Megalith trap and field spell. It also has a high chance of top decking something immediately useful if there is at least 1 Drytron in the grave. It has the added bonus of getting OTKs extremely easily when given an opening, as you can usually make Phul level 8, then summon Bethor, possibly wiping the field if you have enough rituals in grave, and then go into Draglubion and Numeron Dragon for game. Or you can just summon Phaleg and boost the attack of all of your monsters.

No Maxx C because the deck is already at risk of getting bloated and I don't know what to cut. Also, I'm more concerned about opposing Maxx C punishing my turn 1 play which involves a lot of summons. This is why I keep the maximum available number of Ash and Called by the Grave, so that I have a higher chance of drawing one of them than the opponent has of having Maxx C in hand. Being able to search Lancea is also nice.

Some neat little tricks / interactions:
- Unformed and Aratron can ritual summon as Spell Speed 2. This means I can beat Skill Drain and dodge Impermanence / Effect Veiler without dedicated cards for countering them. Against Skill Drain, I can ritual summon Bethor, activate its effect, then chain Unformed or Aratron tributing Bethor. This way, Bethor's destruction effect will resolve in the graveyard.
- The search effect of the level 4 Megalith is not once per turn, so I can decide to hold CbtG for another time if one of those gets hit by Ash, if I have another searcher or Unformed in hand (not once per turn, either);
- A monster summoned by Emergence is shuffled back into the deck when it leaves the field. This means I can summon Bethor each turn indefinitely, if the opponent has no way of interrupting the summon. Emergence also triggers the field spell, replenishing the hand as well. Keep in mind it can only summon monsters that have been properly ritual summoned first.
- Phaleg's attack boost can give additional negates to Apollousa.

Overall it's been a lot of fun to climb with. The deck is very versatile and interactive, which keeps things interesting enough to use it for two seasons straight while I accumulate gems with daily challenges. I do not have a Drytron deck with Heralds and I have no plans of building it.

I also have another account on which I built full power Adamancipator (which feels absolutely unfair to play) using the gems you get at the start. I had already crafted some broken Rock support and generic links and randomly pulled a Diviner of the Herald, so I put together this abomination:
1650663888158.png

You can fairly often get Phul and two level 4 on the field without normal summoning. Then you go into Gallant Granite and search Block Dragon. Summon Block Dragon, link it away with Gallant for Masquerena, search the two adamancipators and the Barrier Statue. Summon the adamancipators for free, go into a 2400 atk Apollousa, normal summon the statue. Re-summon Block Dragon, making the barrier statue and Phul immune to destruction effects. Apollousa is also protected by Masq.

At this point it's either Droplet or bust for many decks. Eldlich and Drytron cannot play at all. Adamancipator cannot go into most synchros and struggles against Apollousa. If my opponent normal summons a monster to try to get over the statue, I can usually fetch Bethor with Phul to pop it. This deck is not really interactive and doesn't like grind games at all. It's either win turn 1 or probably never. Pretty funny considering it's mainly based on the same archetype as the Drytron version.

Master Duel banlist update incoming May 9
From 3 to 1: Cyber Angel Benten, Conquistador of the Golden Land

From 3 to 2: Adamancipator Analyzer, Lyrilusc - Cobalt Sparrow, Prank-Kids Rocksies, The Phantom Knights of Torn Scales, Tri-Brigade Fraktall, Virtual World Roshi - Laolao, Fusion Destiny, Sekka's Light, D.D. Dynamite

From 2 to 3: Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)