Metagame Z-Shift

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
♫ Hello, it's me ♫
♫ I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet ♫

It's May 5th in Japan, parts of Australia and New Zealand.

Click to play on Dragon Heaven!

What is Z-Shift?

In Z-Shift you can use Z-Crystals to shift the type, base power, and priority from one move to another one. Just like for Z-Moves, you need to choose a move that will get these aspects and have its corresponding Z-Crystal. Now, when you select the Z-Shift, you Z-Shift these aspects from the first move in your moveset to the move you Z-Shifted.

Probably the most exciting thing about this metagame is that you can mix and match effects of moves to improve them, at the cost of your item slot. However, moves also keep their accuracy, PP, and attacking category.

Banlist

Standard OU banlist and clauses.
Multihit moves: Arm Thrust, Barrage, Bonemerang, Bone Rush, Bullet Seed, Comet Punch, Double Hit, Double Kick, Double Slap, Dual Chop, Fury Attack, Fury Swipes, Gear Grind, Icicle Spear, Pin Missile, Rock Blast, Spike Cannon, Tail Slap, Triple Kick, Twineedle, Water Shuriken.
Phazing moves: Whirlwind, Roar, Dragon Tail, Circle Throw.
Note: Right now shifting priority does not work. As a temporary solution all Z-Shifted moves will have a priority of 0. Else it would be very OP.

Potential strategies?

Victini @ Fightinium Z / Firium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Power-Up Punch / Flame Charge
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike

Here, Victini uses a Fightinium Z to transfer V-create's type (Fire), base power (180) and priority (0) to Power-Up Punch. This means you can get a 180 BP Fire-type move that raises your Attack when you Z-Shift to Power-Up Punch. You can also use a Firium Z to Z-Shift it to Flame Charge instead, getting a 180 BP Fire-type move that raises your Speed.

Golisopod @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Rock Smash
- Liquidation
- Spikes

This Golisopod uses Fightinium Z to shift First Impression's type (Bug), base power (90) and priority (+2) to Rock Smash. This means that Golisopod gets a standard +2 priority 90 BP Bug-type move, that also has a chance to lower the target's defense!

Mew @ Firium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

A stall player make want to use something similar to this. This Mew uses a Firium Z to shift Protect's type (Normal), base power (0) and priority (+4) to Will-O-Wisp. Only the priority matters, but it matters a lot! Will-O-Wisp now gets +4 priority, which means that it'll hit before all priority moves, making it a very reliable emergency button. It could also run a Fightinium Z to get a +4 priority Seismic Toss, as Seismic Toss doesn't need a certain base power to do damage. Even things like Endeavor and Grass Knot can get priority this way!

Pangoro @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Storm Throw
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off

Sounds like Fightinium Z has a lot of uses. Anyway, this set transfers Superpower's type (Fighting), base power (120) and priority (0) to Storm Throw. This means that Pangoro will get a 120 BP STAB move that will always crit! Whether this is worth using over a Choice Band, I don't know, but it's cool nonetheless.

Q&A

Q: Can you use Z-Shifts more than once?
A: Yes, you can use them as often as you want.

Q: Do Status moves get a base power if Z-Shifted from an attack.
A: No, due to their attacking category (Status), they're still not able to do damage.

Q: What base power do Status moves Z-Shift?
A: Zero, moves Z-Shifted from status won't do damage.

Q: Can you still use regular Z-Moves?
A: No. It'll always become a Z-Shift.

Q: What happens to this OM if it ends up not making large enough of an impact?
A: Either the aspects not Z-Shifted will be added to the Z-Shift, or status moves will not Z-Shift their base power. This will definitely shift the metagame to make more of an impact.​

Last edited:

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Oh boi, it's basically Explosion everything : The Meta.

Some nice sets :

Vanilluxe @ Normalium Z
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Explosion
- Weather Ball
- Autotomize
- Hail

Explosion > Weather Ball + Snow Warning is one of the deadliest moves i've ever seen.
Don't know if it's still playable or if this was somehow nerfed, but it was enough to OHKO a Tapu Fini.

Diggersby @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Foul Play
- Snatch
- Earthquake / Odor Sleuth

Giga Impact > Foul Play is really awesome and hits everything (that is not a Ghost type, Chansey or Blissey) like a truck.

Yeah, I see no reason not to immediately suspect Diggersby. Foul Play 2HKOs Mega Metagross (it's not even close, minimum of 61%), and you can conceivably run Swords Dance, leaving Skarmory as the only Pokemon that stands a reasonable chance of walling you. Actually, given the lack of Steel recovery, you probably don't need Swords Dance, just Wild Charge to pressure Skarm into recovering for a free switch to Magnezone/ton.

So I was messing around with Talonflame, Comfey, and Whimsicott having priority, when I discovered something truly disgusting. Due to there not being any restriction to how many times you can use a Z-Move per battle, it's possible to spam stuff like Z Parting Shot and Z Conversion.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7zshift-32139

Oh, and here are the priority sets I was making before I discovered this nightmare.

Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Aerial Ace
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Comfey @ Fairium Z
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Play Rough
- Draining Kiss
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Calm Mind

Whimsicott @ Normalium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Nature Power
- Moonblast
- Growth

EDIT: More Z Status Cancer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7zshift-32158

Last edited:

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem-Black @ Normalium Z
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Facade
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt

Welcome to one of the, if not the, indisputably best wallbreakers in this tier. Access to a reliable, extremely high power Ice STAB which DOUBLES in BP upon being statused leaves no question to this Pokemon's unmatched potential. I generally use this set alongside something fast, such as Scarf Kartana - It can deal a lot of hits, but in a meta full of high powered threats, you'll want something that can revenge them all and Kartana does an excellent job at keeping the threats out of the way for Kyurem-Black to sweep. No replays, since this is a set from the meta's initial conception and I didn't think replays would be as necessary. Oops.

This is probably my favorite non-permaladder OM and I look forward to playing it more!

e: change it to jolly and 4 spa ivs to w/e

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Zygarde is gonna be heat in this meta. Between Core Enforcer, Extremespeed, Thousand Arrows, Dragon Tail and Thousand Waves it has 5 good effects out can apply. It really likes applying outrage to 4 of them with T Arrows as coverage.

Edit: d tail is ban (good, otherwise espeed dtail would be a thing)

Kyurem-B getsFreeze Shock to apply to Rock Smash for a powerful physical Ice Stab that lowers defense.

Edit: dammit volt

And finally the inevitable Noivern gets STAB Boomburst post. (Not that it's nearly as good)

Reactions: Ren

Vanilluxe @ Normalium Z
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Explosion
- Weather Ball
- Autotomize
- Hail

Explosion > Weather Ball + Snow Warning is one of the deadliest moves i've ever seen.
Don't know if it's still playable or if this was somehow nerfed, but it was enough to OHKO a Tapu Fini.
I was inspired by the sheer power of this godly set to find something that hits even harder, but is a little slower and requires some support:

Volcanion @ Normalium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Explosion
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Wave
- Weather Ball

Thought about sun at first and realized this is way better. Weather Ball > Explosion basically becomes a 750 bp move in the rain, not even counting stab, in the rain. Not to mention a hefty 130 base spatk.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Aw ye the best meta is finally in a thread

Some sets that I have used in Z-Shift when it was first released on DragonHeaven:

Silvally @ Darkinium Z / Buginium Z
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD // 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Brave Nature / Jolly / Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Explosion
- Payback / U-Turn
- Parting Shot / Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw

A great pivot or powerhouse, becoming 750 BP STAB if moving last, without the need of using weather. U-Turn is also a great option to switch out. Personally, I like Payback, because Darkinium Z lets you spam Z-Parting Shot.

Jirachi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Doom Desire
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Trick

Z-Trick is to up speed by 2, and allows it to spam 210 BP STAB that has 60% chance to flinch.

Meloetta @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

225 BP STAB with 100% chance to raise SpA? Count me in!

Azumarill @ Waterium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Azumarill now has some good priority with 165 BP STAB and +1 priority.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Mist
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Just a gimmick: 48 PP of instant 100% healing.

edit: Hyperspace Fury doesn't seem to work with Protect http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7zshift-32323

Last edited:

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dragonite @ Normalium Z
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Hurricane
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Hooray for Dragonite. It's lack of Flying type coverage made it's flying type a really pain to deal with. However, it can now have 110 BP Flying type Extreme Speeds that bypass Psychic Terrain.

Breloom @ Normalium Z
Ability: Effect Spore
Jolly Nature
- Focus Punch
- Feint
- Seed Bomb
- Spore

Okay, this thing is deadly. Throwing out unprotectable 150 BP moves that have +2 priority and STAB on top of it all. Anything that doesn't resist it is going down.

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Psychic
- Flash Cannon

Similar to the Breloom one, although this one focuses on the special side, rather than physical.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

This set works like regular mimikyu, except you can use a +1 priority Play Rough if you want.

Nihilego @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Head Smash
- Acid Spray
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

Okay... This thing is a pain in the ass. 150 BP Rock Type special moves that lower SpD by 2 stages each hit. Sludge wave is just there for poison coverage, as Acid Spray doesn't have the BP to work itself out

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I am having trouble logging into the DragonHeaven server.

I know for now priority is not active at this time as specified in the original post, and that until properly coded all priority is 0. However, when it is, you can be sure to use this set. Taking inspiration from the Protect on Mew set in the original post.

Smeargle @ Normalium-Z
Ability: Own Tempo
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Lovely Kiss
- Belly Drum
- Baton Pass

Normalium-Z affects all moves, giving them + 4 priority from Protect, and you won't have to worry about being blocked by Prankster Dark types. Lovely Kiss can hit Grass-types, and can be paired with Normalium-Z.

Sleep the foe at +4 Priority, Belly Drum on their switch, then you can Baton Pass at +4 priority to a teammate that can make use of Belly Drum.

With Z-Crystal items running around, you won't have to worry about Lum Berry, and with the ban list including PHaze moves, your foe cannot force a switch during your set-up/sweep, and you are only threatened by Haze, Heart Swap, Topsy-Turvy, and Unaware.

Lol, with Marshadow unreleased there is no Spectral Thief, (even other Smeargle cannot use it), so you can even Baton Pass to a non-Normal type.
------
P.S. As Snaquaza posted, it still allows you to
get normal Z-moves, which means that when you try to make this move set with Smeargle it blocks you because Lovely Kiss paired with Normalium-Z gives + 1 Speed, which under the Baton Pass clause prevents you from having both Speed and another stat boost in the same moveset.

This is a glitch. You're not supposed to be able to get any normal Z-Moves as they should be Z-Shifts. Hence, it should be fixed A.S.A.P. Spandan
I guess this is also true for Z-Parting Shot.

Maybe you can bypass this, even after the fix, if you limit the number or type of moves.
For example, if you can only pair status moves with attacking moves that do not have a consistent base power (such as the OP mentioned you can use Protect with Seismic Toss or Grass Knot), then maybe if you have a status move with only consistent base power moves, then maybe you can get the original effect since it won't allow you to pair it with any other move in the first place.
Or maybe the original effect will only work if you limit your slot to just 1 move, since you select itself in the first moveslot. In some cases an important move like Z-Parting-Shot on a fast Persian-Alola can help, and has better utility than Wish.
-------
For some reason Eevium-Z won't work.

I wanted to test out this set:

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Stored Power
- Last Resort
- Wish

The thought behind it is to use Protect's Priority to make Last Resort go first, as Extreme Evoboost is a stat move, so it wouldn't be blocked through being an attack move.

Wish is so it can do something to help a teammate out, or if it has used enough boosts, stay in and continue to power up and recover. Protect is for stalling and Stored Power is so it can deal some damage as 220 Base Power from a single set-up is okay, but if you can get 2 boosts, you have 420 base power. Last Resort is 280 after Adaptability.
------

I could see, when Priority is implemented, Swoobat being able to take advantage of Simple:

Swoobat @ Psychium-Z
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Magic Coat
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Signal Beam

Magic Coat doesn't change the type of Stored Power like Protect does, but still gives +4 Priority. Remember, non-consistent Base Power moves can be paired with Status moves, unlike other Attack (damage dealing moves).

Remember, Magic Coat also give Calm Mind priority, so paired with Simple, you get to set up before Taunt, and then sweep with STAB Stored Power at +4 Priority next turn.

Signal Beam hits Psychic and Dark types that resist Stored Power. I focus on survivability, with the intent that the longer you live, the more Calm Minds you can do and hit with Stored Power.

If you prefer you can max SpA or Speed for when you need to outspeed a Dark type.

Last edited:
Dragonite @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Hurricane
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Hooray for Dragonite. It's lack of Flying type coverage made it's flying type a really pain to deal with. However, it can now have 110 BP Flying type Extreme Speeds that bypass Psychic Terrain.

Breloom @ Normalium Z
Ability: Effect Spore
Jolly Nature
- Focus Punch
- Feint
- Seed Bomb
- Spore

Okay, this thing is deadly. Throwing out unprotectable 150 BP moves that have +2 priority and STAB on top of it all. Anything that doesn't resist it is going down.

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Psychic
- Flash Cannon

Similar to the Breloom one, although this one focuses on the special side, rather than physical.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

This set works like regular mimikyu, except you can use a +1 priority Play Rough if you want.

Nihilego @ Poisonium Z
Calm Nature
- Head Smash
- Acid Spray
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

Okay... This thing is a pain in the ass. 150 BP Rock Type special moves that lower SpD by 2 stages each hit. Sludge wave is just there for poison coverage, as Acid Spray doesn't have the BP to work itself out
Could you explain how Hurricane Speed beats Psychic Terrain? Grounded targets are immune to priority, plain and simple.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Lol +2 eq with trapping this seems like a nice revenge killer. Or am I just being silly... to be honest I'm not even sure.

Trapinch @ Normalium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Feint
- Crunch
- Superpower

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Could you explain how Hurricane Speed beats Psychic Terrain? Grounded targets are immune to priority, plain and simple.
I thought it stopped from grounded mons from using priority? Either way, (not sure I find this is a bug or not) but Z-shifting a move onto a move with priority currently bypasses the Psychic Terrain, and possibly dazzling.

Aw ye the best meta is finally in a thread

Some sets that I have used in Z-Shift when it was first released on DragonHeaven:

Silvally @ Darkinium Z / Buginium Z
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD // 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Brave Nature / Jolly / Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Explosion
- Payback / U-Turn
- Parting Shot / Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw

A great pivot or powerhouse, becoming 750 BP STAB if moving last, without the need of using weather. U-Turn is also a great option to switch out. Personally, I like Payback, because Darkinium Z lets you spam Z-Parting Shot.

Jirachi @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Doom Desire
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Trick

Z-Trick is to up speed by 2, and allows it to spam 210 BP STAB that has 60% chance to flinch.

Meloetta @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

225 BP STAB with 100% chance to raise SpA? Count me in!

Azumarill @ Waterium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Azumarill now has some good priority with 165 BP STAB and +1 priority.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Mist
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Just a gimmick: 48 PP of instant 100% healing.

edit: Hyperspace Fury doesn't seem to work with Protect http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7zshift-32323
Status moves cannot be combined with attacking moves, that is why Hyperspace Fury didn't work.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Dragonite @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Hurricane
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Medicham @ Normalium Z
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Focus Punch
- Feint
- Seed Bomb
- Spore

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Psychic
- Flash Cannon

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Nihilego @ Poisonium Z
Calm Nature
- Head Smash
- Acid Spray
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

An option over Breloom, since it can use Fake-out and Feint
Medicham @ Normalium Z
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Focus Punch
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Zen Headbutt

With Fake Out you can hit for 150 BP moves with priority twice in a row. The first turn you have +3 priority, and the second turn you have +2 Priority. With STAB on top of it all which cuts through Protect during turns you select Feint attack.

Medicham is selected so you have higher Base Attack. With Fake-Out, you need to be maximize damage output for the 1-2 punch.

An option over Lucario so it can sweep from both sides:

Infernape @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Focus Punch / Blast Burn
- Mach Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Rock Smash / Low Sweep / Filler

With Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, you can hit for 150 BP moves with +1 priority from
both Attack and Special Attack.
Iron Fist cannot be used.
____
Based on the OP Pangoro set:
Aurorus @ Icium-Z
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Frost Breath
- Rock Polish
- Freeze Dry / Filler

Pay attention, it gets complicated...
Hyper Beam makes Frost Breath a 150 Base Power Normal Attack. Frost Breath, due to Refrigerate becomes an Ice-type Attackand gets a 20% power boost after STAB. 150 x 1.5 = 225 * 1.2 = 270, plus a guaranteed critical hit, makes it 405 base power.

Rock Polish for hitting hard and fast.

Freeze Dry is going to be a 270 Base Power option for KOing Water types, Filler is up to you.

Aurorus has to beware of priority, if only it had Aurora Veil to go with Snow Warning...

Last edited:
To the people pairing Focus Punch with priority, remember: Z-Shifted moves are supposed to take the power and priority of the first move (see the Golisipod example in the OP). With that in mind, here are some ideas of what can be done once priority works correctly. Keep in mind that these sets are only to demonstrate what can be done, and are obviously not complete. You'll see what I mean.

Togekiss @ Flyinium Z / Electrium Z
- Extreme Speed
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave

The biggest thing holding Togekiss back from being an obnoxious flinch machine is its low speed. Giving Air Slash priority solves this issue. Alternatively, you could give Thunder Wave priority and make it able to hit Ground types.

Sylveon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Pixilate
- Quick Attack
- Echoed Voice
- Yawn

Like Togekiss, Sylveon is held back by its low speed. Unfortunately, Sylveon's only priority attack is Quick Attack, which is pretty weak. However, Echoed Voice's starting power is the same as Quick Attack, so its damage isn't decreased, and since its power is increased by 40 every time you use it, pretty soon you'll be blasting the opponent with 120+ BP Pixilated STAB boosted priority. Yawn is there both for priority sleep and to force a switch and safely get the Echoed Voice snowball rolling.

Bisharp @ Steelium Z
Ability: Defiant
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Sucker Punch is already a great priority move, but it's easy to play around and has low PP. What if it didn't have those problems, and also has a chance to flinch?

Talonflame @ Firium Z
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge
- Will-O-Wisp

I'm not entirely sure if this should work, since I'm not sure when Gale Wings checks a move's type, but assuming this works, you've got a priority attack that raises your speed instead of losing your priority, as well as priority Will-O-Wisp.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
- Curse

In a world where phazing moves are banned, you'll probably need something to fall back on if a setup sweeper gets out of hand. Destiny Bond takes the opponent out on the spot, while Curse is harder to play around.

Malamar @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
- Protect
- Topsy-Turvy

In a world where phazing moves are banned, you'll probably need something to fall back on if a setup sweeper gets out of hand. Protect gives Topsy-Turvy priority, and Infiltrator means that you don't have to worry about Substitutes.

Breloom @ Grassium Z
Ability: Technician
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Priority Spore. Enough said.

Bewear @ Normalium Z
Ability: Fluffy
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Flail

Flail doesn't have a defined base power, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't inherit Endure's 0 BP. Anyway, set up a few Swords Dances, bring yourself down to 1 HP with Endure, then sweep with a 200 BP STAB move with insane priority.

And now for a few more concepts I thought of.

Toucannon @ Firium Z
Ability: Sheer Force
- Boomburst
- Flame Charge

You know what would be scary? A 140 STAB Sheer Force boosted move coming off a 120 Attack stat.

Rampardos @ Groundium Z
- Head Smash
- Rock Polish
- Bulldoze

You know what would be even scarier? A 150 STAB Sheer Force boosted move coming off a 165 Attack stat.

Magearna @ Steelium Z / Icium Z / Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
- Fleur Cannon / Explosion
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

This gives Magearna a nuke to kickstart her Soul-Heart that doesn't lower her Special Attack or kill her.

Nihilego @ Poisonium Z
- Head Smash
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Venoshock

Venoshock's power gets boosted to 150, then doubled to 300 if the opponent is poisoned.

Sylveon @ Normalium Z
- Hyper Beam
- Echoed Voice

Echoed Voice isn't like Grass Knot or Seismic Toss in that it technically has an actual base power of 40, so in theory, you should be able to spam 150 BP Echoed Voices that get stronger by 40 BP every time.

Swoobat @ Psychium Z
- Sky Attack
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power

Like Echoed Voice, Stored Power has an actual base power (this time of 20). Not only would Z-Shifting Sky Attack onto Stored Power make its starting power 140 (220 after a single Calm Mind), but it would change its type to Flying, which unlike Psychic, hits everything.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Moxie
- Hurricane
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall

Hurricane Z-Shifted onto Waterfall may not be as strong as Bounce's Supersonic Skystrike, but because Z-Shifts can be used multiple times, it's far more spammable.

Volcanion @ Waterium Z
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Steam Eruption

I don't think I need to explain this one. It's like Bloom Doom, but it can be used multiple times.

Golem-Alola @ Groundium Z
Ability: Galvanize
- Explosion
- Rock Polish
- Bulldoze

I'm definitely not the first person to think of this, but no one has mentioned it on this thread yet, so I'm going to take credit for it anyway. Polish yourself until you're nice and fast, then go to town with Galvanize Explosion Z-Shifted onto Bulldoze.

Serperior @ Grassium Z
Ability: Contrary
- Leaf Storm
- Mega Drain

By Z-Shifting Leaf Storm onto Mega Drain, not only do you get a more reliable Grass move to use once you don't need any more boosts, but you also get a 130 power move that heals you.

Araquanid @ Buginium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
- Surf / Liquidation
- Leech Life

Once again, increasing the power of your draining attacks. Surf is a bit stronger, but Liquidation has that nifty chance to lower defense, so take your pick.

Araquanid @ Normalium Z
- Rain Dance
- Return

I actually thought of this as I was writing this post. Return technically has undefined base power, so it should retain its power when Z-Shifted to. Right?

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech

By making Horn Leech as strong as Wood Hammer, you get a Grass move that both hits like a truck and heals a ton of HP.

Tapu Koko @ Buginium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Tapu Koko usually has a tough time deciding whether to run Volt Switch, U-turn, or both. By having the option of Z-Shifting Thunderbolt onto U-turn, you free up your move slots without having to decide between Volt Switch's power and U-turn's unblockablity.

Clawitzer @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Mega Launcher
- Crabhammer
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

A 100 power attack boosted by STAB and Mega Launcher? Yes please.

Pineco @ Normalium Z / Poisonium Z
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
- Protect
- Pain Split
- Counter
- Toxic

With multi-hit moves being banned, FEAR strategies become much more effective. This Pineco set is the only set I could think of that could actually make use of Z-Shifting. Pain Split until Pain Split won't bring you back to full, then Counter if against a physical attacker (this may or may not actually work) or Toxic if against a special attacker (or if Counter doesn't actually work). Normalium Z give Pain Split priority, so Pineco isn't completely shut down by hazards and has the option to Toxic the foe before spamming Pain Split instead of after, and Poisonium Z give Toxic priority, so you can put off using Toxic until Pain Split doesn't fully heal you, or poison the foe before fainting if hazards are up.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
To the people pairing Focus Punch with priority, remember: Z-Shifted moves are supposed to take the power and priority of the first move (see the Golisipod example in the OP). With that in mind, here are some ideas of what can be done once priority works correctly. Keep in mind that these sets are only to demonstrate what can be done, and are obviously not complete. You'll see what I mean.

Togekiss @ Flyinium Z / Electrium Z
- Extreme Speed
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave

The biggest thing holding Togekiss back from being an obnoxious flinch machine is its low speed. Giving Air Slash priority solves this issue. Alternatively, you could give Thunder Wave priority and make it able to hit Ground types.

Sylveon @ Normalium Z
- Quick Attack
- Echoed Voice
- Yawn

Like Togekiss, Sylveon is held back by its low speed. Unfortunately, Sylveon's only priority attack is Quick Attack, which is pretty weak. However, Echoed Voice's starting power is the same as Quick Attack, so its damage isn't decreased, and since its power is increased by 40 every time you use it, pretty soon you'll be blasting the opponent with 120+ BP Pixilated STAB boosted priority. Yawn is there both for priority sleep and to force a switch and safely get the Echoed Voice snowball rolling.

Bisharp @ Steelium Z
Ability: Defiant
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Sucker Punch is already a great priority move, but it's easy to play around and has low PP. What if it didn't have those problems, and also has a chance to flinch?

Talonflame @ Firium Z
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge
- Will-O-Wisp

I'm not entirely sure if this should work, since I'm not sure when Gale Wings checks a move's type, but assuming this works, you've got a priority attack that raises your speed instead of losing your priority, as well as priority Will-O-Wisp.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
- Curse

In a world where phazing moves are banned, you'll probably need something to fall back on if a setup sweeper gets out of hand. Destiny Bond takes the opponent out on the spot, while Curse is harder to play around.

Malamar @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
- Protect
- Topsy-Turvy

In a world where phazing moves are banned, you'll probably need something to fall back on if a setup sweeper gets out of hand. Protect gives Topsy-Turvy priority, and Infiltrator means that you don't have to worry about Substitutes.

Breloom @ Grassium Z
Ability: Technician
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Priority Spore. Enough said.

Bewear @ Normalium Z
Ability: Fluffy
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Flail

Flail doesn't have a defined base power, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't inherit Endure's 0 BP. Anyway, set up a few Swords Dances, bring yourself down to 1 HP with Endure, then sweep with a 200 BP STAB move with insane priority.

And now for a few more concepts I thought of.

Toucannon @ Firium Z
- Boomburst
- Flame Charge

You know what would be scary? A 140 STAB Sheer Force boosted move coming off a 120 Attack stat.

Rampardos @ Groundium Z
- Head Smash
- Rock Polish
- Bulldoze

You know what would be even scarier? A 150 STAB Sheer Force boosted move coming off a 165 Attack stat.

Magearna @ Steelium Z / Icium Z / Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
- Fleur Cannon / Explosion
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

This gives Magearna a nuke to kickstart her Soul-Heart that doesn't lower her Special Attack or kill her.

Nihilego @ Poisonium Z
- Head Smash
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Venoshock

Venoshock's power gets boosted to 150, then doubled to 300 if the opponent is poisoned.

Sylveon @ Normalium Z
- Hyper Beam
- Echoed Voice

Echoed Voice isn't like Grass Knot or Seismic Toss in that it technically has an actual base power of 40, so in theory, you should be able to spam 150 BP Echoed Voices that get stronger by 40 BP every time.

Swoobat @ Psychium Z
- Sky Attack
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power

Like Echoed Voice, Stored Power has an actual base power (this time of 20). Not only would Z-Shifting Sky Attack onto Stored Power make its starting power 140 (220 after a single Calm Mind), but it would change its type to Flying, which unlike Psychic, hits everything.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Moxie
- Hurricane
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall

Hurricane Z-Shifted onto Waterfall may not be as strong as Bounce's Supersonic Skystrike, but because Z-Shifts can be used multiple times, it's far more spammable.

Volcanion @ Waterium Z
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Steam Eruption

I don't think I need to explain this one. It's like Bloom Doom, but it can be used multiple times.

Golem-Alola @ Groundium Z
Ability: Galvanize
- Explosion
- Rock Polish
- Bulldoze

I'm definitely not the first person to think of this, but no one has mentioned it on this thread yet, so I'm going to take credit for it anyway. Polish yourself until you're nice and fast, then go to town with Galvanize Explosion Z-Shifted onto Bulldoze.

Serperior @ Grassium Z
- Leaf Storm
- Mega Drain

By Z-Shifting Leaf Storm onto Mega Drain, not only do you get a more reliable Grass move to use once you don't need any more boosts, but you also get a 130 power move that heals you.

Araquanid @ Buginium Z
- Surf / Liquidation
- Leech Life

Once again, increasing the power of your draining attacks. Surf is a bit stronger, but Liquidation has that nifty chance to lower defense, so take your pick.

Araquanid @ Normalium Z
- Rain Dance
- Return

I actually thought of this as I was writing this post. Return technically has undefined base power, so it should retain its power when Z-Shifted to. Right?

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech

By making Horn Leech as strong as Wood Hammer, you get a Grass move that both hits like a truck and heals a ton of HP.

Tapu Koko @ Buginium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Tapu Koko usually has a tough time deciding whether to run Volt Switch, U-turn, or both. By having the option of Z-Shifting Thunderbolt onto U-turn, you free up your move slots without having to decide between Volt Switch's power and U-turn's unblockablity.

Clawitzer @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Mega Launcher
- Crabhammer
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

A 100 power attack boosted by STAB and Mega Launcher? Yes please.

Pineco @ Normalium Z / Poisonium Z
Level: 2
- Protect
- Pain Split
- Counter
- Toxic

With multi-hit moves being banned, FEAR strategies become much more effective. This Pineco set is the only set I could think of that could actually make use of Z-Shifting. Pain Split until Pain Split won't bring you back to full, then Counter if against a physical attacker (this may or may not actually work) or Toxic if against a special attacker (or if Counter doesn't actually work). Normalium Z give Pain Split priority, so Pineco isn't completely shut down by hazards and has the option to Toxic the foe before spamming Pain Split instead of after, and Poisonium Z give Toxic priority, so you can put off using Toxic until Pain Split doesn't fully heal you, or poison the foe before fainting if hazards are up.
Use a Lvl 2 Probopass since it has immunity to Toxic/Poison attacks over
Pineco

Probopass @ Normalium Z
- Protect
- Pain Split
- Block / Magic Coat
- Toxic

Toxic will be used first, then with Protect you Pain Split with +4 priority, to heal before taking damage, on the next turn. Occasionally, use Protect so that Toxic adds up, if you can predict a non-attack, Probopass has the ability to use +4 priority to Block the foe. Once trapped, you can whittle away at the foe's HP.

Magic Coat, which also has +4 priority on its own, can be used over Block for Leech Seed, W-o-w, Taunt, etc..
---
Good catch on priority + Focus Punch, just a matter of when the priority gets shifted.

I tested Z-Shift for Fury Cutter, Rollout and Ice Ball and it didn't boost damage each turn. Is this a glitch? Did you test with Echoed Voice?
---
I thought of a way to upgrade your set:

Serperior @ Grassium Z
- Frenzy Plant
- Leaf Storm
- Mega Drain
- Dragon Pulse / HP Fire

Since all moves are Grass moves, you can keep both, and Z-Shifting Frenzy Plant onto Leaf Storm/Mega Drain so you can hit off of 225 base power instead of 195.

This allows you to fully boost the Special Attack due to Contrary. Thank god it's a starter.

Last edited:
Use a Lvl 2 Probopass since it has immunity to Toxic/Poison attacks over
Pineco

Probopass @ Normalium Z
- Protect
- Pain Split
- Block / Magic Coat
- Toxic

Toxic will be used first, then with Protect you Pain Split with +4 priority, to heal before taking damage, on the next turn. Occasionally, use Protect so that Toxic adds up, if you can predict a non-attack, Probopass has the ability to use +4 priority to Block the foe. Once trapped, you can whittle away at the foe's HP.

Magic Coat, which also has +4 priority on its own, can be used over Block for Leech Seed, W-o-w, Taunt, etc..
---
Good catch on priority + Focus Punch, just a matter of when the priority gets shifted.

I tested Z-Shift for Fury Cutter, Rollout and Ice Ball and it didn't boost damage each turn. Is this a glitch? Did you test with Echoed Voice?
---
I thought of a way to upgrade your set:

Serperior @ Grassium Z
- Frenzy Plant
- Leaf Storm
- Mega Drain
- Dragon Pulse / HP Fire

Since all moves are Grass moves, you can keep both, and Z-Shifting Frenzy Plant onto Leaf Storm/Mega Drain so you can hit off of 225 base power instead of 195.

This allows you to fully boost the Special Attack due to Contrary. Thank god it's a starter.
Good call on Probopass. For some reason I got hung up on using Counter. My bad.

I haven't tested Echoed Voice, but since this meta isn't fully coded yet (priority comes from the powered up move instead of the source move, status moves still have their Z-effects) I'm going off what should work rather than what currently works. Later when I have the time I'll go through the moves with varying power to see which ones have defined base powers and which ones don't

I'm not a huge fan of using Frenzy Plant on Serperior. Leaf Storm is already hella strong, and after a few Contrary boosts I doubt the extra power from Frenzy Plant makes much of a difference. More importantly, having Frenzy Plant means you only have one extra moveslot to work with, so you can't run both D Pulse and HP Fire, or one of them + something like Substitute, Glare, Aromatherapy, or Taunt. Serperior's movepool is shallow as it is, there's no need to limit him even further just to power up his already strong Grass moves.

That said, the other starters would probably benefit much more from their elemental Hyper Beams. For special attackers, Fire Blast and Hydro Pump have shaky accuracy, and for physical attackers, Flare Blitz has nasty recoil and Waterfall isn't particularly powerful. As for the other Grass starters, none of them have Contrary, so they have no reason to run Leaf Storm over Frenzy Plant.

Linoone @ Rockium Z / Buginium Z
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Rollout / Fury Cutter
- Hone Claws
- Shadow Claw

It's Extreme Speed, only it doubles in power each turn. I see nothing wrong with this.

Last edited:
Later when I have the time I'll go through the moves with varying power to see which ones have defined base powers and which ones don't.
After scrolling through Smeargle's movepool on Showdown, here's what I came up with. Note that I'm not including moves that are banned (Beat Up), naturally don't work with Z-Crystals (Acrobatics, Fling, Natural Gift), or vary their power based on things that your opponent will never do (Stomp, Gust, etc.). Now then, here are the "variable power moves" that have actual base powers.

Avalanche: Default base power 60, power doubles if user is attacked
Brine: Default base power 65, power doubles if opponent has less than half health
Echoed Voice: Default base power 40, power increases by 40 when used consecutively, stops boosting after the fifth use
Eruption: Default base power 150, power decreases in direct proportion to the percentage of HP you have left (i.e. don't Z-Shift to Eruption)
Facade: Default base power 70, power doubles if user is burned, poisoned, or paralyzed
Fury Cutter: Default base power 40, power doubles after consecutive successful uses, boosts stop either after the fifth use or the third use (the maximum power used to be 160, but Fury Cutter's vanilla base power has since been buffed from 10 to 40, and I'm not sure if the original power cap is still in place)
Hex: Default base power 65, power doubles if the target is has a status condition
Ice Ball: Default base power 30, power doubles after each hit
Knock Off: Default base power 65, power increased by 50% if the target is holding a knockable item
Payback: Default base power 50, power doubles if the target acts first
Power Trip: Default base power 20, power increases by 20 for each stat boost the user has
Pursuit: Default base power 40, power doubles if the foe is switching out (I'm not sure how Pursuit's conditional priority should interact with Z-Shifting)
Retaliate: Default base power 70, power doubles if an ally fainted last turn
Revenge: same as Avalanche
Rollout: same as Ice Ball
Smelling Salts: Default base power 70, power doubles if target is paralyzed
Stomping Tantrum: Default base power 75, power doubles if the user's last move failed
Stored Power: same as Power Trip
Venoshock: Default base power 65, power doubles if target is poisoned
Wake-Up Slap: Default base power 70, power doubles if target is asleep
Water Spout: same as Eruption
Weather Ball: Default base power 50, power doubles in weather

These moves only reveal their variable power in their description, so it's possible I missed some.

And now the damaging moves that truly lack base powers
Bide: Deals double the damage received over two turns
Counter: If hit by a physical attack that turn, deals double the damage
Crush Grip: Similar to Eruption, but has a max power of 120 and used the target's HP instead of the user's
Dragon Rage: Deals 40 damage
Electro Ball: Has a power of 40, 60, 80, 120, or 150 depending on how much faster the user is than the target
Endeavor: Deals enough damage to the target to bring its HP down to the user's HP
Final Gambit: Deals damage equal to the user's remaining HP
Flail: Has a power of 20, 40, 80, 100, 150, or 200 depending on what fraction of HP the user has left
Frustration: Power equal to the difference between 255 and the user's happiness, divided by 2.5
Grass Knot: Has a power of 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 depending on the target's weight
Gyro Ball: Power equal to 25 times the ratio of the target's speed to the user's speed
Heavy Slam: Has a power of 40, 60, 80, 120, or 150 depending on how much heavier the user is than the target
Heat Crash: same as Heavy Slam
Low Kick: same as Grass Knot
Magnitude: Has a random power of 10, 30, 50, 70, 90, 110, or 150
Metal Burst: If hit by an attack that turn, deals 1.5x the damage
Mirror Coat: If hit by a special attack that turn, deals double the damage
Nature's Madness: Deals damage equal to half the target's current HP
Night Shade: Deals damage equal to the user's level
Present: Has a random power of 40, 80, or 120, or heals 25% of the opponent's max HP
Psywave: Deals damage equal to the user's level multiplied by a random number between 0.5 and 1.5
Punishment: Power equal to 60 plus 20 times the number of stat boosts on the target
Return: Power equal to the user's happiness divided by 2.5
Reversal: same as Flail
Seismic Toss: same as Night Shade
Sonic Boom: Deals 20 damage
Spit Up: Has a power of 100, 200, or 300, depending on how many stockpiles the user has
Super Fang: same as Nature's Madness
Trump Card: Has a power of 40, 50, 60, 80, or 200 depending on how much PP the move has left
Wring Out: same as Crush Grip

All these moves are listed as having a base power of "-", so I think I got all of them because they were pretty easy to spot.

Well that took longer to write up than I thought it would

I actually have a few questions.

1: Echoed Voice, Stored Power, and Power Trip have additive power boosts, if you Z-Shift a move with no base power onto then, should they still deal damage, because the power boosts would be added to the Z-Shifted base power of 0? Or should Z-Shifting a move with no base power cause the attack to deal no damage no matter what?

2: When will priority and Z-Status moves work properly? Currently, priority is still based on the receiving move, and Z-Status moves still have their Z effects.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
To make this game increase in popularity, can we also see Pokémon specific items like Eeveeite being accessible as a Z-Shiftable option?

It currently doesn't let you Z-move at all with Last Resort's Extreme Evoboost, I feel like the signature moves should be allowed because it adds to the fun. Eevee would be a premier Baton Passer/Stored Power user, especially if it can use the move multiple times, like combining it with Protect as the first move for +4 Priority.

Will the fact it is a non-base power effect negate the fact it comes off of a base power move (Last Resort)? This matters when combining with Protect to improve priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)