Project ZeroUsed Teambuilding Competition [Round 7: Gougeist+Golem, Building phase]

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Approved by 5gen
I used This thread from pu for pretty much all the rules. I miss you asa :(

*Insert Banner Here*

Welcome to the ZeroUsed Teambuilding Competition. It’s a weekly event that you can join whenever you feel like it. The basic premise of the competition is just “who can build the best team”. On a weekly basis I’ll post a set or core or whatever for you to build around, then you, the participant, will post an importable with a brief description of your teambuilding process, what the team does, replays (optional), and just about anything else you would design to include; These are essentially mini-RMT’s despite the thread not being primarily for that purpose. After a few days submissions will close, then the community at large will vote on the teams. The winners will get bragging rights and have their team recorded to the hall of fame.

Da Rules n’ Regs: how the competition will be hosted

1) Five (5) days of submission of teams and discussion. Post your entry on the thread, be sure to follow this format!

2) Two (2) days of voting for what you believe is the best team

Sprites (no hide tag, Optional but makes my work a lot easier)
Importable (hide tag)
Description (2nd hide tag)

Submitting Teams: Please include the following when submitting your teams. Post your entry on the thread!
  • Optional but recommended: sprites. I can’t really help on a proper way to do them as the site most of these threads use is dead, but they make my life easier. If included please keep them outside of the hide tag.
  • Importable of your team in a hide tag.
  • A brief description of your teambuilding process and how the team plays in another hide tag together.
  • Basically, that means you'll be using TWO hidetags in total.
Discussion and Changes: People are free to talk about their and other people's teams in this thread. People can make suggestions to other people's team but only to an extent; while you can suggest small things such as a nature change or move change, don't change up their team's structure or rebuild it because there's a different forum (RMT) for that. This isn't an RMT thread.

Winning: Good for you! You won! Your team will gain a place among the ZeroUsed Hall of Fame!

Copying Teams: This is 100% absolutely against the rules. It ruins any point to the competition and kills the fun for EVERYONE involved. If I catch it you’ll be DQ’d for the week, If you suspect someone of doing this please PM me.Hopefully no one would do this, but take this as a warning. You can have help from others when building, but if multiple people work on one team, credit EVERYONE INVOLVED.

Bandwagoning: Like above, I won’t hesitate to DQ you for the week if I catch this. Don't just vote for a guy just because they have a ton of votes already or they're famous. Don't feel pressured to vote for anyone for any reason other than having the best team. If you really think a team is the best out there, vote for that team; don't let anything pressure you to do otherwise. This isn’t cool, and kills the soul of this competition.
Also, please don't ask people to vote for you. You will be DQ'd from the week if you are found doing this as well.
On Suggestions: If you have any suggestions for this competition, feel free to PM me. It'll be considered, but there are ultimately no promises if it'll be implemented.

On Slashes: In play, you can only bring four moves; whatever set of moves you choose slashes is reflective of your own skill as a builder, and having slashes in a submission would be against the point. This is your own team; this isn't an analysis or a sample.

Tiers: A week is for USUM ZeroUsed unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Current Buildaround: Oricorio Baille
Can't Find an Image Sorry

Last edited:

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
Week 1: Pinsir

How about we start with a solid mon with a wide variety of sets, Pinsir. Pinsir has some pretty scary sets for various archetypes, for example SD mold breaker or Z me first, but there are plenty of sets this mon runs incredibly well, So have some fun building with it! Voting Phase should begin on Wednesday.
Image result for pinsir

Last edited:
First off, this thread is really cool :D gonna enjoy posting here especially with the fantastic Tack as the host ;D. Well, without further ado, here's the team!
Pinsir+Komala Balance

(click sprites for pokepaste you dweeb!)

Yup. That's it. Bit of a disappoiment? Maybe. Solid team? Absolutely.
+

The core

So, for this build, I've gone for (what i think to be) a fairly basic balance core. Lum Berry Pinsir is to stomp on other balance teams that have Gourgiest or Mareanie. Pinsir, being fairly fragile and weak to every hazard, is constantly finding itself getting chipped and weakened. Komala complements this by being able to wish pass to Pinsir if in need of urgent healing. Pinsir can then freely SD and sweep teams that dare to threaten the mighty Pinsir!

+

Swanna+Electivire
Electivire is this teams main source of speed control. It forms a sort of Voltturn core with Fightingvally which helps keep momentum on your side throughout the battle. Swanna is the hazard removal of this squad. As well as removing pesky hazards that annoy Pinsir, Swanna helps against mons that Pinsir just loses to such as Gourgiest-XL and other physically defensive mons.

+

Bronzor+Fightingvally
Bronzor sets rocks and toxic spams most walls and even wall breakers. It acts as a switch in to most attacks and can be treated like a physcial and special sponge that simply rests when low on HP. You'll be switching in Bronzor on a lot so you better get to Resting! Now, Fightvally is here to stop Shiftry dominating this entire team. It also helps against opponents like Combusken (notice how i said helps, not 1v1s) and Machoke, both of which would be fairly annoying to deal with without Fightingvally.

Threatlist

Combusken is a solid breaker and is able to eat through this team if you're not careful. Swanna and Fightingvally should be played with extreme caution if you see one. Make sure Swanna is healthy enough to take a hit and pray its not HP electric lol. Fightingvally is able to tank a hit from Combusken and hit back with a Multi-Attack, chipping it for Swanna.

Although not as big of a deal as Combusken, Flamethrower Electivire is also scary against this team. Bit by bit, it will wear down the team and attempt to come back in and wreak havoc on your weakened team. To counteract this, play your own Electivire and switch in Bronzor. This will leave the Electivire defensless as it can't touch Bronzor without Flamethrower and needs to switch out, allowing you to set rocks freely.

Lastly, Shell Smash Crustle can be a serious threat to this team. However, if enough offensive pressure, it can be forced out or bopped.

Final Verdict
This team is super solid under the right conditions. If you play well, you will have much success with it (I hope). Z-Mirror Move/Rain Dance Swanna can be used over the current Z-Swanna to provide an extra wincon and a way to beat some of the threats shown above and Defog can be ran over Rest on Fightingvally to increase its utility.
Below is a replay highlighting the roles of the different mons

Click me!

Komala supports Pinsir by wish passing and Pinsir sweeps. Swanna removes hazards and can act as a wincon. Electivire is speed control while Bronzor and Fightingvally are used for utility and are sponges.
Hope you enjoyed reading, I put a fair amount of effort into this. s/o sketchy ecchi and KellyKafka for helping with the team :)
PS: to everyone who angry reacted, i'm too busy blocking out the haters.

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Pinsir Offense
Pokémon Global Link Grafik von Pinsir
Pokémon Global Link Grafik von Maschock
Pokémon Global Link Grafik von Geowaz
Pokémon Global Link Grafik von Elevoltek
Silvally - Dragon Memory Global Link artwork
Pokémon Global Link Grafik von Kadabra
Pinsir @ Normalium Z
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Me First
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Electivire (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Encore

Ah yes a Bulky Offense core of Z-Pinsir, Physically Defensive Golem, and of course what team of mine is complete without a Machoke. This core covers Pinsir's weaknesses perfectly. Golem and Machoke cover Rock-types and Fire-type fairly easily. In addition, Golem can set rocks allowing Pinsir an easier time to get a Moxie boost when it comes in. I figured it was best to just throw Electivire in there and get our Choice Scarfer out of the way since honestly at this point we can all agree Electivire is the most viable Choice Scarfer in the tier. It allows for pivoting and is provided with a decent amount of coverage. Alternatively, you can run Choice Scarf Rotom-Fan over Electivire for Will-0-Wisp support as well as a Ground-type immunity but come on Evire is just amazing. Silvally-Dragon provides more offensive presence as well as Defog support for Pinsir. Finally, I decided to add Kadabra because I haven't really used Kadabra but I realized that I wanted a late-game cleaner in case I was faced with a team that Pinsir did absolutely nothing against.

EDIT: I built this team in like 4 seconds

EDIT2: I changed Kadabra from LO to Sash since Sash Kadabra is much better in the late game than LO is and can remove threats that bop Pinsir such as Gourgiest-XL

Last edited:
Z-Me First Pinsir Balance:

The Paste

Holy cow, this was a pain in the ass to build around. Initially, I wanted to make a purely BO or HO team around Me First Pinsir. Turns out with it's Mono-Bug typing, it was hard to build a team I liked that didn't get decimated by rocks. This is the squad that I've ended up with, and I am not super pleased but it's better than not being able to cover all your team's weaknesses.

Pawniard and Bronzor are both the teams Rock-Resists, Altaria + Bronzor for the Ground-Immunity. Scarfed Simipour is for speed control and for the Fire-Types that half the mons are decimated by, and Electivire to absorb the Electric-Type Attacks. I hope that this team is more fun to play with than it was to build :/

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Scarf Pinsir TSpikes Balance

So many of you guys know me for HO, but I couldn't get it to work. So I instead tried this to some good fun.

The team functions by pressuring Toxic and Toxic Spikes, and abusing Protect, Intimidate, and solid resistances to wear the opponent down. It works great against all playstyles, as even stall needs to waste turns recovering from all the status. Meanwhile, Mare works as a great Toxic and Tspikes abosrber, and Z Healbell Granbull is relatively consistent as a cleric.
So much so, that really only Bronzor can switch into its EQ / Play Rough / Toxic combo. See the late game against GGG where pawn couldn't stomach the EQ.

There's also Siv grass, which I had to complete the fire/water/grass core I imagined, and works great as a fast Defog user than switches into Shift no problem and absorbs Knock Offs. I thought maybe to have Rest over Toxic, but Toxic is still needed on most mons here. Defensive Golem is an awesome volt immunity and Vire check, as well as can get some risky Toxics when needed. Finally Combusk is a great late game sweeper once everything is worn down by the Toxic damage, and of course helps stall further with Protect.

Pinsir is needed more so than other scarves like Vire or Swanna because of its offensive coverage and fast Knock. Against HO, you can sweep late game with CC, X, whatever. Moxie is super helpful and it can pick up the pace right where Combusk left off. Against stall, it provides the team the much needed Knock support agianst bulkier Leftover or Eviolite builds. It might be a little slow and weak to rocks, but Pinsir pulls its weight.

Against 5Gen: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-889083356
Against GGG: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-889088216
CC Late game sweep (1478 ELO guy): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-889092119

Last edited:
Pinsir Semi-Stall

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Psywave
- Rest

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover

Silvally-Fighting @ Fighting Memory
Naive Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- U-turn

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Foul Play
- Synthesis

Zweilous @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Head Smash

Pinsir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Pinsir is a really cool mon, I especially like swords dance + me first on it with close combat and stone edge for coverage, but for this team I went with the scarf set. This team relies on a very solid defensive core of Bronzor, Mareanie, Silvally-Fighting, and Gourgeist-Super to take hits while setting up and removing hazards, while Zweilous wallbreaks and Pinsir can revenge threats and clean late game.

Bronzor is a great defensive mon that beats almost every hazard remover one-on-one, especially with a spin blocker. Mareanie covers the fire weakness Bronzor and Gourgeist share, while providing and removing opposing toxic spikes. Silvally-Fighting is a great pivot and knock off absorber that helps wall threats like Pawniard, bulk up Komala, Regigigas, and Rampardos; I chose to use ice beam here since Gourgeist and Altaria are hard to deal with otherwise, and these particular EVs let me 2hko Gourgeist-Super, Altaria, Lickilicki, and defensive Golem. Gourgeist-Super walls all the physical attackers Bronzor and Mareanie can’t, while also serving as a spin blocker. I think Zweilous is a really interesting pokemon that’s been overlooked by most; it can 2hko the entire tier, bar defensive Mawile, with a choice band thanks to Hustle giving it essentially 151 base attack. The obvious drawback is its lackluster accuracy. Zweilous fits in here by taking advantage of passive pokemon like Bronzor, Mareanie, and non-stab Altaria and breaking down bulky pokemon for Pinsir. Scarf Pinsir provides much needed speed control to revenge set-up sweepers and can clean late-game if the opponents team has been worn down enough.

With this being a semi-stall team, it isn’t possible to cover every threat like a real stall would try to do. The biggest concession I faced with this team was not using a ground type which makes this team vulnerable to repeated volt switches and u-turns from things like Electivire and Rotom-Fan. Furthermore, Electivire can pose huge issues to this team with its mixed set and Rotom-Fan can cripple Bronzor with Trick. This team benefits tremendously from Mareanie checking fire types, but those with strong ground coverage like Camerupt and Z-move Rapidash can break through it.

Here's a replay of Zweilous actually hitting its moves https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-889854319

Last edited:

Pinsir Semi-Stall

X

First off, I´m not a huge supporter of stall. However, there are two reasons I felt this team was justified. Scarf Pinsir has two main issues in my opinion:
1) While Scarf Pinsir can work nicely as a cleaner once the opposing team is weakened, its speed tier doesn´t allow it to really perform as a solid speed control option, because it´s slower than all other common Scarfers and fails to outspeed +2 Combusken. This can bring you in awkward situations where you wish you had an actual Scarfer. Playing two Scarfers on the other hand is not optimal either. The alternative I chose here is playing Scarf Pinsir on a team that doesn´t need speed control, because it has alternative ways of handling fast Sweepers and plays a different end-game than offensive teams do.
2) Defensive Pokemon who are good versus Scarf Pinsir (Gourgeist-Super, Gabite, Mawile, etc.) are relatively useless in breaking stall. So either your opponent brings these Pokemon and has less tools to beat the stall portion of the team or the opponent doesn´t bring these Pokemon and has less tools to stop Pinsir from cleaning.

Anyways, enough chitchat, let´s get to the actual teammembers:
The trinity consisting of Pyukumuku, Lickilicky and Avalugg is a staple on all stall teams I ever attempted.
- Lickilicky is by far the best cleric and special wall the tier has to offer.
- Pyukumuku seems to be a given and can handle some teams single-handedly that rely on set-up as their only way of breaking.
- Avalugg has stellar physical bulk and some nice utility in Rapid Spin and Roar.

This core, however, is weak to a couple things: Mixed Electivire, mixed Shiftry, Servine, Mold Breaker Pinsir, etc. That´s why I added Hippopotas as the next member. This little fella brings the much needed Stealth Rock and can handle Electivire (and Pinsir to an extend). It also summons sand for additional chip damage and has its own recovery in Slack Off (I initially had Gabite over Hippopotas, but their bulk is comparable and Gabite doesn´t handle Ice Punch Electivire and doesn´t have recovery). Lastly I added Dusclops as a catch-all kind of Wall, which also aids in stalling Servine out of Leaf Storm PP. I realize adding these two Eviolite users doesn´t really help versus Shiftry, but in my test games, it was reasonably easy to wear Shiftry down through Life Orb recoil. Additionally, Pinsir can handle Shiftry, Pinsir and Servine offensively as long as it isn´t too low on health.
The overall gameplan is simple. Wear down the opposing Pokemon with Stealth Rock, Toxic and Seismic Toss to bring them into range for Pinsir. (Pyukumuku doesn´t really wear down, its job is much more to handle specific threats and eliminate them)

I´m not super familiar with stall, since I don´t play it and rarely encounter it, but initial testing went well (5-0 - yes, I´m not going to play more than five games with this abomination) and additionally, the team has Ho3n approval (meaning it beat the ever-present ladder tormenter - for whatever that´s worth).

Last edited:

pls 2 ignore my terrible spriting talent

Double Dance Pinsir
Pinsir @ Normalium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker / Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Me First
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / X-Scissor

Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Electric]

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Multi-Attack
- Toxic

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Toxic

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch

I wanted to build something around Z-Me First Pinsir because people consider it its best set, but in testing I found it to be rather impotent (needs a little bit more attack in a lot of situations to actually clean or break anything), so I added SD. I originally dropped Stone Edge in favor of X-Scissor, but after almost losing 2 Seasonal games I would have won with Edge, I decided EdgeQuake would suffice (and it does have rather good coverage). The team was built around taking out flying types (Swanna and Altaria) in order to support Pinsir's lategame, Edgeless sweep, so some options are now up-in-the-air.

Double Dance Pinsir offers a few advantages over simply SD or Z-First, namely that it can choose to break balance/stall (especially with Mold Breaker, which destroys both Bronzor and Pyukumuku. There were a few times when I wanted the Moxie boost, but I found that having Mold Breaker allowed me to not struggle vs balance (at all, really), so I stand by it. It also goes without saying that, once you're at +2, +2, not much can stop you (and thanks to Pinsir's high physical bulk, getting set up really isn't THAT difficult).

Pinsir's roles:
- Setup Sweeper
- 6-0s Stall
- Breaks Lickilicky
- Breaks Mareanie*
- Psuedo-speed control after set up

Next came something that could smash through Pinsir's ultimate nemesis: Gourgeist (or Tangela, to a lesser extent). Special Combusken seemed like an obvious pick, as it also threatens mixed-defense Bronzors that Pinsir has a little more trouble breaking. There's not too much to say about it aside from the fact that Focus Blast never hits, but when it does Combusken is broken. Busken also serves as another form of psuedo speed control, since I opted not to run a scarfer on this team.

Combusken's roles:
- Special Attacker
- Deals with Gourgeist
- Breaks Lickilicky
- Breaker
- Deals with Bronzor*
- Ability to threaten unboosted base-95s and 105s
- Pseudo Speed Control

Neither of my current picks enjoy switching into status, especially Toxic, and Shiftry is threatening (of course). Pinsir and Combusken aren't OHKO/revengable by Shiftry without chip, and both destroy it, though, so I didn't feel the need to go with a more tried-and-true switchin set. Because of that, I opted for a more offensive Guts - Machoke; it is the ultimate anti-Bronzor/Altaria and provides much needed Knock Off support, as well as surprising Gourgeist/wall switchins with Toxic. Even if you don't like/use this team, you should try this set out; it's surprisingly quite effective. Also, I used Machoke before BP, so >:(

Machoke's roles:
- Shiftry Switch-in*
- Toxic User
- Toxic/status switch-in
- Breaks Mareanie (try it, it's fun)
- Knock-off user
- Prevents* SD Combusken 6-0 (kinda, ish, if it protects instead of SDs on the switch)

Now came time to fill in the hazard core, and I picked Silvally-Ground because it provided a lot of needed defensive support. Since the team is offense, it doesn't need true counters to a lot of things, but needs to hold them off for long enough for the offensive threats to do their job. It has the added benefit of being a great anti-meta mon by bopping the increasingly common anti-shiftry Mawile. EVs are to creep and u-turn on Shiftry if the opportunity presents itself; the rest are in Defense so it can tank the hits from the threats it's meant to check (listed below)

Silvally Roles:
- Stops Z-Me First Pinsir (with Toxic + tankiness)
- Prevents 6-0 from Muk
- Defog/Spin
- Electric Immunity
- Golem Switch-In
- Switches into Electivire* (takes 30-35 from Ice Punch and then pivots out on the threat of OHKOing back)
- Switches into Rapidash* (doesn't enjoy Will O Wisp but can check it under many circumstances)
- Toxic User (I have a lot of these on this team, apparently)
- Kecleon Switch-in
- Revenge-Kills Shiftry

The team was looking rather Swanna-weak, which is simply unacceptable. I originally had Bronzor, but Metang provided yet another way to bop Swanna with Thunderpunch and also didn't sink momentum in the same way that Bronzor does. None of the other "standard" rockers really fit what the team needed at this point, and Metang has worked wonderfully on the team.

Metang Roles:
- Stealth Rocks
- Abomasnow Switchin* (EQ hurts, SD is difficult to deal with if it carries EQ, but the rest of the team can handle it offensively)
- Prevents 6-0 from Scarf Mime (or forces it to trade Scarf for it)
- Switches into Swanna (see SpDef EVs and Thunderpunch)
- Toxic Switch-In

Finally, I chose to compensate for the lack of true speed control (and a Swanna check without recovery) by adding Kecleon. Not only does it function as its normal annoying-self (seriously, this mon exerts a LOT of offensive pressure), but it also fills in some of the remaining gaps on the team and adds some more bulk to the team.

Kecleon's roles
- Fake Speed Control w/dual priority
- Knock Off
- Abomasnow Switch-In (non-SD)
- Prevents 6-0 from Scarf Mime
- Swithes into Special Swanna (Metang switches into both)
- Prevents Combusken 6-0 (Special)*
- Blanket Special check (mostly for Silvalies)
- Deals with Bronzor, Lickilicky, Mareanie

Notable gaps in this team (due to its offensive nature) are the lack of a true scarfer (which you can play around if you play offense well), a true SD Shiftry switch-in (has tools to revenge though), a 100% switchin to electivire (or at least one with recovery), a reliable Rapidash switch-in, and a reliable way to stop SD Combusken's 6-0 aside from offensive pressure (this is really difficult for any team, so meh.

R2 SSNL; I choked this one away and let hax get the better of me. Also, this was pre-Stone Edge, which would have won it for me
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-887752542
R1 SSNL: Pinsir cleans (even without SD)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-883991764

Apparently these are the only two which have been saved despite me really enjoying the team and considering it quite solid

Try Double Dance Pinsir!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.

Pinsir Webs Hyper Offense

Wanted to build a Webs team for the longest time and of course Pinsir is one of the prime abusers of such an archetype. While Webs (and Hyper Offense in general) may have fallen off a bit as of late, I still feel that they hold enough merit by means of applying a ton of offensive pressure to many of the common defensive cores seen on the majority of balances / bulky offense to make it a usable style. Here is a rundown:

1) Shuckle: Best Webs setter that can also set up Rocks as well (sorry Smeargle but ur kinda trash). Shuckle can also be great in annoying common Defog users such as Sillvally-Water, Silvally-Fighting, and Altaria by abusing Encore + Infestation in order to cripple the aforementioned mons to the point where other team members can capitalize on it and secure a sweep. Also Shuckle has great bulk which means it can usually can get up both hazards at least twice throughout the match, esp on mons such as a Choice Locked Evire and Komala.

2) Pinsir: As I mentioned, Pinsir is a great Webs abuser since the hazard enables it to outspeed the majority of threats that can threaten to revenge kill it such as fast Silvally, Floatzel, and Scarf Abomasnow. It also is a great stallbreaker of course being able to usually secure a sweep once the opposing Gourgeist-XL has been slightly weakened. Moxie is an alternative that lets Pinsir snowball more dangerously, however usually setting up one SD is more then enough to wreck havoc and punch holes.

3) Pawniard: Thanks to Defiant, Pawniard can usually deter most Defog users aside from Fightvally and maybe Altaria if it comes in on a Flamethrower. Pawniard in general also appreciates Webs immensely as it means it does not solely need to rely on Sucker Punch predictions to avoid being revenged killed and can actually sweep more safely. Taunt is another option over Iron Head to rely break down most defensive teams and stop Defog but is usually not needed if Mold Breaker Pinsir is chosen.

4) Simipour: An underrated threat imo that kinda lost some popularity ever since Floatzel dropped, however I still believe NP Simipour to be a great special setup sweeper that works wonders under Webs, letting it outspeed the likes of Scarf Electivre, Zebstrika, Scarf Abomasnow, and Floatzel which can be really huge. Decided to use this as the dedicated Z move user over Pinsir as Torrent boosted Hydro Vortex is absolutely absurd and can really just decimate anything that tries to switch into it.

5) Abomasnow: Wanted a strong wallbreaker that has power from the start and Specs Abomasnow fit the bill. Nothing really appreciates coming into Blizzard given the fact of it being strong + hail chip which can really break down pretty much everything. While Abomasnow still may not have the best chances of outpacing everything even with Webs support, it helps more versus more defensive teams that typically can dissuade setup sweepers from having a chance to actually boost their stats in order to break through.

6) Electrivre: Promise was not lazy on this slot but I actually needed Scarf Evire to help counteract typical Web checks such as Swanna, Combusken, and more niche shenanigans like Rain and Hail. Nothing really more to say as Scarf Evire is just rlly good lol.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation

Pinsir @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Simipour @ Waterium Z
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Abomasnow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain

Electivire @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Motor Drive
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
Voting Phase is beginning tonight!

Mr. Mime icon
Pinsir icon
Golem icon
Silvally icon(fighting)Swanna iconElectivire icon

ImKoolKids SD Pinsir+Scarf mime
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/zeroused-metagame-discussion.3629669/page-13#post-7995284

Komala icon
Swanna icon Electivire icon
Pinsir icon
Silvally icon (fighting)Bronzor icon
PhantomHurious BU Komala+ Lum Pinsir Balance
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8090565
Golem icon
Electivire icon
Golem icon
Pinsir icon
Silvally icon (dragon)Machoke icon
Broken Phobias Offense
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8091603
Pinsir icon
Electivire icon Bronzor icon Altaria iconSimipour iconPawniard icon

Wugus Z Me First Pinsir Balance
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8091719
Pinsir icon
Golem icon
Silvally icon (grass)Mareanie iconGranbull iconCombusken icon
Ho3nConfirm3d Scarf Pinsir Balance
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8091719
Silvally icon (fighting)Bronzor icon Mareanie icon
Pinsir icon
Zweilous icon
Gourgeist (Average Size) icon(super)
Sketchy Ecchi Scarf Pinsir Semi Stall
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8093900
85Percent
DQ'd because the importable was editted in 20 mins after i started working on this. It was scarf pinsir stall.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8094251 here's the post if curious, but it's not up for voting

Pinsir icon
Combusken icon Silvally icon (ground) Machoke icon Metang iconKecleon icon
Graceclaw Dual Dance Pinsir Offense
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8094696
Pinsir icon
Simipour icon Electivire icon Pawniard icon Abomasnow iconShuckle icon

Funbot 28 Webs Hyper Offense
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-pinsir-building-phase.3648930/#post-8096173

Last edited:

BU Hakamo-o + Choice Specs Shiftry Offense

Hakamo-o (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute

Mawile (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Toxic
- Pain Split

Shiftry (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane

Swanna (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Big Pecks
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Liquidation
- Defog
- Roost

Rapidash (F) @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- High Horsepower

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Explosion

Initially I was planning on building around a Dragon Dance Hakamo-o. The threat of Scarf Swanna however made me change my mind and choose a bulkier Bulk Up version. Next step was adding a Stealth Rocker. Mawile a) covers all of Hakamo-o´s weaknesses (literally all of them), b) checks some of the prominent meta threats like Shiftry and physical Swanna and c) can give Hakamo-o comfortable set-up opportunities with Intimidate. At this point I felt it was time to adress the bane of Hakamo-o´s existence: Fairy-type Pokemon, namely Mr. Mime, Granbull, Shiinotic and Mawile. Since I don´t only want to check those, but rather want to lure them, I decided on Shiftry as my next member. Choice Specs Shiftry to be exact. Leaf Storm and Hurricane can OHKO Granbull and Shiinotic respectively and dent Mawile quite a bit. Shiftry also gives the team a way to beat Pyukumuku, which would otherwise give Hakamo-o trouble. Swanna was the member I added next. Mainly because it offered the team a way to outspeed and hurt Mr. Mime, which Shiftry is too slow for. It also provides the team with more offensive power, Defog and an alternative way of hitting Shiinotic. Additionally it covered the Fire and Fighting weakness the team had at this point, while getting its own weaknesses covered by the other team members. A look at weaknesses and resistences at this point revealed a Fairy, Fire and Ice weakness and a bunch of resistences that made the addition of a Fire type seem appealing. Rapidash helps handle the aforementioned Fairy types Mr. Mime, Shiinotic and Mawile, provides the team with more speed next to Swanna and checks the omnipresent Shiftry rather nicely. At this point the team was lacking a Scarfer, but it was also relatively frail. This frailty was the main reason I did not want to put a Scarf on Rapidash or Swanna. Instead I decided on Silvally. Silvally has arguably the best MU versus other Scarfers and provides the team with a little bit of bulk. This way the team can handle Z-MM Swanna better.

Here´s a replay showcasing how Hakamo-o can perform in this physically oriented meta: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-894101394 (thanks to sketchy ecchi for testing with me). Usually, however, you´ll see it rather perform as defensive pivot than sweeper. Together with Mawile it forms a nice defensive core for the more offensive Pokemon to fall back on and to chip down the opposing team. Once the opposing team is weakened enough, you can pick it off thanks to the high speed of your other team members in Swanna, Rapidash and Scarf Silvally.

To round this off, here´s a replay showcasing Choice Specs Shiftry a little, since I know there are doubters out there. You can also see Hakamo-o perform more of a support role - that´s what it usually should do: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-894250953

Last edited:

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hakamo-o Sand Balance

Hakamo-o @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Close Combat

Hippopotas @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Sandslash @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Toxic
- Sludge Bomb

Crustle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Granbull @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Stone Edge

Hakamo-o
I decided to go with Dragon Dance Hakamo-o here with Overcoat to take advantage of the Sandstorm chip that will inevitably come its way. DD with Close Combat, Outrage, and Earthquake allows this thing to hit most of the tier for at least neutral damage. This thing hits hard, and it picks up a lot of kills thanks to the prior chip from both Sandstorm and entry hazards.

Hippopotas
If you're making a sand team down here you need Hippopotas. I decided to go with Smooth Rock over Eviolite in order to give the team, who really likes being in the sand for as long as possible, more time with sandstorm up. This also means that it has minimal defensive utility, so this thing has to sort of dart in and out.

Sandslash
Hey look it's our version of Excadrill with a worse typing and less power! Jokes aside, Sandslash is pretty scary in the sand, and it's naturally decent defense means that it isn't a total glass cannon. It also serves as my rapid spinner because I wanted to keep my hazards up if possible so that my suicide lead Crustle didn't go to waste.

Cradily
I love Cradily, and on sand the thing is really hard to kill, so for me this was kind of a no brainer. I've used it on sand before (Fun Fact: This thing destroys Ash-Greninja under sand) and it works quite well. Storm Drain leads to some interesting mind games with Scald and gives it an OK matchup against Swanna. Sludge Bomb is for Shiinotic (and Mr. Mime to a lesser extent) who otherwise gives the team problems.

Crustle
Suicide lead here that wants to get up as many hazards as possible. Some Silvally forms and Golem variants annoy it, but for the most part it gets the job done. Knock Off annoys everything down here and Stone Edge threatens any flying defoggers that want to switch in early.

Granbull
Sort of powerful bulky support mon that cripples any physical attacker that wants to come to call. This notably beats things wanting to go for physical fighting type moves, which otherwise give this team some issues. It carries Heal Bell and Thunder Wave for support, Play Rough is just good, and Stone Edge helps with the ever present war against Defoggers.

This is a weird team, and I know it. I really like doing somewhat unconventional stuff, but this has been working decently for me so far.

Last edited:

Bulky DD Hakamo Balance

Hakamo-o @ Eviolite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Outrage

Komala @ Leftovers
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Gourgeist-Super @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Foul Play

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

Rapidash @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Morning Sun
- Wild Charge
- Flare Blitz
- High Horsepower

My original idea was to use Bulk Up Hakamo, because I'd much rather have Altaria or Fraxure as an offensive DD user (or Shelgon/Dragonair even if you want to go with bulky), but 85percent beat me to it and I started running some calcs with slightly-bulky DD Hakamo and am not entirely dissatisfied with the results. Unfortunately, it's not really fast or powerful enough to fit on a full-offense team (read: be immediately threatening), but it does have Taunt and decent bulk, so I decided to build more balance, with Haka serving as a mid-late game holepuncher.

Hakamo

100 HP allows it to not get 2HKO'd by offensive Golem with Earthquake, tank an Ice Punch from Electivire or Beam from Floatzel, and reduces the amount of average incoming damage to a manageable level when coupled with Drain Punch. I lost my sheet o' calcs, but believe me when I say you'll be surprised how often you only take 30-40% from an attack and are able to either DD up and heal a lot back with Drain or just immediately trade it back with Drain. This bulk notably also allows you to be less scared of non Z-Hurricane Shiftry, which you will often be switching into.
I debated about Jolly vs Adamant, since Haka's base attack really is not very impressive, but settled on Jolly with Outrage > Dragon Claw because it allows you to outspeed common scarfers at +2 (Electivire, Rapidash, Swanna, etc). If you go with Adamant, you are the exact same speed as Combusken, whose main form of counterplay is outspeeding and KO'ing it at +2, and that is no bueno. Also, as Xayah is fond of mentioning, base 65 is not a horrible speed tier at +1, so you'll be able to outspeed pretty much all relevant non-scarfed threats.

Taunt is really important, because it can be used to prevent rocks, toxic, will o wisp, self-healing, and even Haze from Mareanie. Haka struggles without sub or taunt, and taunt works significantly better on a bulky DD set because you are naturally boosting yourself to the point where you outspeed things. Taunt allows you to set up on most walls.

I'll post some calcs to show that it can set up on Golem and Shiftry, the main things it switches into/sets up on.

252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Hakamo-o: 124-147 (44.9 - 53.2%) - Not quite guaranteeing a lack of 2HKO, but you outspeed and Drain back enough to make this an acceptable switchin, barring Weakness Policy
156 Atk Hakamo-o Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 122-146 (40.5 - 48.5%) - 22-24% recovered
+1 156 Atk Hakamo-o Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 186-218 (61.7 - 72.4%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Hakamo-o: 69-82 (25 - 29.7%)
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Leaf Storm vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Hakamo-o: 112-133 (40.5 - 48.1%)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Hakamo-o: 136-161 (49.2 - 58.3%) - this is the scenario where Shiftry potentially beats you, but if you bring Haka in after it gets a KO, you can stop it in its tracks.
Haka OHKOs with Drain. Do I really need to show that calc???

Hakamo's roles on the team:
  • Shiftry switchin/check
  • Golem switchin
  • Setup sweeper
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (non-HP ice variants as well as SD)
  • Prevents Muk 6-0
  • Deals* with Bronzor (Drain does a lot at +1/+2, Taunt can prevent Toxic)
  • Breaks Lickilicky*
  • Breaks Mareanie*
  • 6-0s stall*
Komala

Next, I needed something to eat Hurricanes and Blizzards, and SpDef Komala fits the bill reasonably well. I opted to go for Toxic over Rapid Sprin because weakening opposing Gourgeist is valuable and nobody expects it. There's no much to this pick; it tanks lots of hits it has no business tanking, toxics or pivots out and heals someone else, rinses and repeats. It is very important that Komala be played effectively on this team, as it is the only Special blanket check. Thankfully, you can often scout for sets with Protect and even predict and eat Fight-Z from Floatzel or something. The rest of the team really values its Wish Support, since the team is balance at its core.

Komala's roles:

• Abomasnow switch-in (scarf, LO; can tank a focus blast if need be as well). Does not deal with SD.
  • Prevents 6-0 from scarf Mime
  • Switches into Special Swanna
  • Toxic user
  • Blanket special check
  • Toxic switch-in
Gourgeist-Super

Gourgeist and Komala have natural type synergy and form a decent defensive core (notably broken by Shiftry, mixed SD Abomasnow, Physical Swanna, among other things), and serves to chip away at physical mons who would otherwise go to town (Silvally-Fighting, Pinsir, Kecleon, and Machoke, for instance). I find that it really doesn't mind losing Colbur in favor of Rocky Helmet in many scenarios, but if you're reading this thread post-voting phase and want to adapt the set, feel free to run standard. Most notably, though, it prevents the team from being 6-0'd by standard SD Abomasnow by eating +2 and +4 Ice Shards.

Gourgeist-Super's roles:
  • Counter SD Abomasnow
  • Stops Z-Me First and SD Pinsir
  • Komala Switch-in
  • Kecleon switch-in
Marowak

At this point, I'm lacking rocks and an electric immunity and also a meaningful breaker/disruptor and way to deal with Bronzor. Marowak actually fits the bill perfectly. The amount of times you are able to set up Sub simply by threatening to OHKO their precious mon is actually rather sickening, and allows you to get off Knock or Rocks on the switch-in. Shiftry takes 50% from Bonemerang. The main problem with running sub on this set is it forces you to choose what you want to be walled by; in this case, I opted to be walled by Z-Swanna in order to be able to Knock off eviolite abusers like Machoke and Bronzor. After voting is over, feel free to customize that last slot; there are times when I wish I had Double-Edge, for sure. Marowak is also capable of tanking one non-Z Flare Blitz from Rapidash in case of emergency and KO'ing in return, which I have had to do several times.

Marowak's roles:

• Prevents 6-0 from Muk
  • Knock Off user
  • Rocks
  • Electric Immunity
  • Golem Switch-in*
  • Switches into Rapidash*
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (physical)*
  • Threatens Electivire, Rapidash, Komala, and Kecleon
  • Deals with Bronzor
  • Stops Z-Me First Pinsir*
  • Threatens Golem
  • 6-0s stall*
  • Breaks Lickilicky
  • Breaks Mareanie
  • Breaker
Silvally-Water

I realized at this point that physical Swanna completely destroys me (as it does so many things), and realized that physdef Silv-Water could give me viable counterplay options while giving me the ability to scout for Special (the problem with Swanna is that you don't know which of your counters to bring in until after it's attacked) and another "out" vs Shiftry, Pinsir, etc. It also provides defog and momentum for the team and is yet another way the team can control opposing Golems. This mon is really good glue for this team, and really appreciates Komala's carefully-passed Wishes to keep it blanket-checking for the duration of the match.

Silvally's roles:
  • Defog/Spin
  • Switches into Physical Swanna
  • Switches into Rapidash (even Wild Charge, surprisingly)
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (Special, +0 SD)
  • Threatens Swanna
  • Threatens Shiftry
  • Threatens Rapidash
  • Prevents 6-0 from scarf-Mime*
Rapidash

Because of threat-saturation, at this point I have one slot left to fill the Z-user, Scarfer, and anti-Gourgeist slots simultaneously. Unfortunately, I couldn't really do all of that with one mon, but I realized by looking at my team that true speed control was a luxury rather than necessity; all notable/meta opposing scarfers were handled by the defensive core. As I found out in testing, it's a bit weak to uncommon scarfers like Abomasnow, Rampardos, etc, but overall the team has the tools it needs to deal with most fast threats. However, it is always important to be able to threaten unboosted base 95s, so I picked Rapidash to be the speedy brute-force that the team needs to not be completely passive. Scarf Rapidash would arguably also work, although you give up the opportunity/excuse to use a Z-move, which I value. I've found that everyone assumes it's scarfed, which allows you to bluff it until the moment when you can reveal Z or switch moves and destroy switch-ins after they've tanked a hit. The only real notable speedy threat which beats Rapidash is Floatzel, which you can control with other attributes of the team.

Rapidash's roles:

• Deals with Gourgeist
  • Ability to threaten unboosted base 95s
  • Breaker*
  • Z-Move User
Conclusion

This team kind of struggles vs uncommon or off-meta scarfers/strategies, as many balance teams do, but definitely has the tools to deal with the most prevalent threats in the metagame right now while allowing Hakamo to disrupt opposing teams and threaten to sweep. The team notably lacks a reliable way to threaten out some fairy types (Mime, defensive Granbull), but has enough sustain to outlast them. Hakamo is surprisingly potent in the right matchup (I straight-up 6-0'd a certain Global Voice starting on turn 2), and is surprisingly tanky with Drain Punch and some HP investment.

I beat 85percent's team with mine so therefore you should vote for me

Edit: Little did I know, I should have saved the replay where I beat ho3n's Haka team too!

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

Hakamo Semi Stall

Hakamo has a couple cool qualities about it that I had hard time trying to make work before this team. Essentially, this team takes advantage its benefits and allows it to be a very good stall breaker.

The set I used for it is a simple BU Dtail spam set that has some great bulk with Eviolite. I made it special defensive to make it very hard to break its sub after a few bulks, and allows it to switch into many special attacks and not even be 2hko'd by things like Swanna's Hurricane. Its job is to set up late game versus stall, or be a much needed phazer.

The mare/bronz core speaks for itself, providing hazards and a core that can't be broken by much.

Siv-Electric is used because I need another Electric and Flying resist, and is still bulky and fast enough to switch into Shift and U-Turn. The BoltBeam coverage is nice as well, and its really the only special coverage the team provides.

Band Golem and Z Touc are really awesome. They provide the power and utility to break teams, and Sucker + Flame Charge can help with breaking down faster teams.

Essentially its a pretty fun and bulky team to play with that has gotten me a lot of wins so far, check em out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)