Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread: Mach 3 (Competitive Discussion)

Speaking of which, I'm seeing potential for Choice Specs Swampert.

Swampert @ Choice Specs
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Focus Punch / Hammer Arm

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Speaking of which, I'm seeing potential for Choice Specs Swampert.

Swampert @ Choice Specs
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Focus Punch / Hammer Arm
HP electric for Gyarados could work as well I think

Speaking of random Theorymon sets, I was tossing up something that may or may not have a bit of potential.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -Sp. Def)
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Sp. Atk / 176 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

I guess it could work.

The only problem would be what to give up. The last slot could be used if you don't care about Blissey but I think it's worth it. Ice Beam is useful for his #1 counter Celebi, as well as Salamence and, most importantly, Sky Shaymin. I guess HP Electric could be used over Earth Power, but I wouldn't bother really. Gyarados will already be taking boatloads from Stealth Rocks + Ice Beam, and potential for Sandstream and Life Orb makes Gyarados even less of a counter.

Speaking of random Theorymon sets, I was tossing up something that may or may not have a bit of potential.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -Sp. Def)
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Sp. Atk / 176 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

I guess it could work.
I'd use HP electric for gyarados and empoleon. ice+dragon seems redundant

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only problem would be what to give up. The last slot could be used if you don't care about Blissey but I think it's worth it. Ice Beam is useful for his #1 counter Celebi, as well as Salamence and, most importantly, Sky Shaymin. I guess HP Electric could be used over Earth Power, but I wouldn't bother really. Gyarados will already be taking boatloads from Stealth Rocks + Ice Beam, and potential for Sandstream and Life Orb makes Gyarados even less of a counter.
I was talking about > Focus Punch, as like you said it's just for Blissey. In other words between HP Electric and Focus Punch, either way you're picking a move that stops just one of your counters, so you might as well pick one based on the rest of your team.

Here's a theoretical bulky Kingdra I was thinking of, taking advantage of its solid defenses and lack of weaknesses. You could make it Specially defensive based instead of physical.

Kingdra@ Chesto Berry
252 Hp/252 Defense/4 Speed

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Waterfall
Rest

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
From the Survival Area tutor:

Palkia:
- Mud Slap
- Aqua Tail
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Twister

Dialga:
- Mud Slap
- Iron Head
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Iron Defense
- Twister

I'll update with Mamoswine in a few minutes. I don't know the kanji for Draco Plate, so I can't really do that one.

From the Survival Area tutor:

Palkia:
- Mud Slap
- Aqua Tail
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Twister

Dialga:
- Mud Slap
- Iron Head
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Iron Defense
- Twister

I'll update with Mamoswine in a few minutes. I don't know the kanji for Draco Plate, so I can't really do that one.
IIRC there's a thread on Serebii with the Japanese names..I might check it later..anyway, Dialga doesn't get Outrage >_>..well at least Outrage is there for Palkia especially that I SRed for a physical one :P.
EDIT: Misaki-chi from Serebiiforums didn't finish the items translation list, and Draco Plate just happens to be one of the missing ones.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Tutored Moves at Route 212 and Survival Area for:

Mamoswine:
- Mud Slap
- Superpower
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Endeavor
- Icy Wind

Celebi:
- Mud Slap
- Ancient Power
- Signal Beam
- Earth Power
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Earth Power Celebi O_o

Specs Celebi with Earth Power/Grass Knot/HP [Fire/Ice]/(Psychic/Trick) for the win?

Physical Palkia just received a boost. SubSalac Bulk Up Palkia could be quite viable with Outrage instead of the relatively weak Dragon Claw. Nothing else of importance though.

That's a waste for Dialga. The only moves that could possibly see use are Iron Defense and Iron Head. Iron Defense is inferior to Bulk Up, and dual STAB isn't exactly useful when one is completely superior and you're already pressed for type coverage.

Celebi just got a lot of fun new toys! Physical Celebi is... dare I say it... viable? And it doesn't need to be Baton Passing either, Recover/Zen Headbutt/Seed Bomb/Swords Dance looks like a really cool set. Earth Power is Celebi's official "fuck you" to Heatran, and Trick has real potential as well. (A TrickSpecs set looks viable, Leaf Storm/Trick/Psychic/Earth Power).

That's a shame about Mamoswine though.

Sweet, thanks stellar. We ought to be making a list of this info to compile in one place for future reference.

EDIT: Yanmega? Tangrowth? Have either of those?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)