CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 13a (Name Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last
Primary Ability: Levitate
Secondary Ability: Technician

Art By yourDeadGrandad

X-Act won with an overwhelming margin, so the movepool is over. This means we are ready to start the first EVO project! (PS Doug: Want me to make the threads or do you want to do it?)

Anyway, on to the name discussion. This is a short discussion thread for everyone to submit possible names for the new pokemon. All members are welcome to submit names.

You are only allowed to submit two names.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been waiting for this discussion, as I have had a name for this guy for around 3 weeks now.

I would suggest the name Stratagem for this Pokemon.

It is a combination of the words 'strata' and 'gem', but it is also a word in itself. There are Pokemon names that are English words after all, like 'Electrode' or 'Ditto', so I don't see why not.

'Strata' are the various layers of rocks that are visible in some places, notably quarries. Since this Pokemon is Rock-type, it can be conceivable that this Pokemon lives among various rock strata.

'Gem' is obviously referring to its gems adorning its body.

And the word 'stratagem' itself means 'plot' or 'scheme'... something that this Pokemon might well be doing while battling!

I usually am not that good with names, but I think this name is very appropriate.

Amescythe (amethyst, a gem, + scythe)
Cragnetem (Crag + magnet + gem)

On the off chance that they're good

EDIT: X-Act I kinda like that one...

Jesus Christ X Act's is awesome. If that doesn't win him a CAP Poll what will.

EDIT: This is a thoughtful post to say that I am in favour of X Acts Name (sorry darkie)

Polarays - Polar because of its concept (going against the stereotype), ray because of its Special Attacking nature.

1. Magnalith
Magnet + lithos( Greek for rock)

2. Quascythe
Quarry + scythe

X-Act's name concept is cool, but I dont see Stratagem as a Pokemon :/
Although its more likely to win than mine :P

Rockmon (the name it has so far been called)

Maimarble - Combination of Maim (I think this poke could really maim someone) and Marble (because of it limbs looks like really poolished)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Dammit! X-Act took my name suggestion. I've had that very name suggestion for weeks, just waiting for this thread to open -- and he beat me to it!

Oh well, great minds think alike...

Celerigneous (celeritas is latin for swift and igneous is a kind of rock)

I would love to see latin in its name, but am currently not thinking of good name synergy...so if anyone wants to "take" my idea, but make it smoother, I would be honored. Also, Im going to post another name soon

For an unserious just for the heck of it name: Geohertzarokkynerf (Geo+Hertz+Rocky+Nerf)
But yeah... My real name suggestion:

Reagri (Pronounced: Ree ah gree)

Comes from Grim Reaper

So yeah, thats my suggestion =P

Territe (terror/terra + -ite, a common mineral prefix)

Stratagem is pretty cool, but it would fit better on something with nasty plot.

Aneed (Ancient + Speed)
Statium (Statue + ium)

Aneed is... Acient Beam + It's speed.
Statium is a statue (which is rock) and ium, because I had nothing better to think of.

Quartzon (Quatz+...on. It sounds cool I guess. :O)

Quartz crystals have piezoelectric properties according to Wikipedia,which increases voltage when under pressure, so that could explain Electric, Fire attacks as well as maybe levitating abilities. The eyes sort of look like Rose Quartz.

Plus not many Pokemon name start with Q. Qwilfish and Quagsire are the only that I can think of. D:

Thats my first, and I think I might submit another later. D:

I've been waiting for this discussion, as I have had a name for this guy for around 3 weeks now.

I would suggest the name Stratagem for this Pokemon.

It is a combination of the words 'strata' and 'gem', but it is also a word in itself. There are Pokemon names that are English words after all, like 'Electrode' or 'Ditto', so I don't see why not.

'Strata' are the various layers of rocks that are visible in some places, notably quarries. Since this Pokemon is Rock-type, it can be conceivable that this Pokemon lives among various rock strata.

'Gem' is obviously referring to its gems adorning its body.

And the word 'stratagem' itself means 'plot' or 'scheme'... something that this Pokemon might well be doing while battling!

I usually am not that good with names, but I think this name is very appropriate.
I like this name. It rolls of the tongue, even more so that some real Pokemon's names. It's quite clever, two actual words combined to make a third actual word.

Hmm... to make sure I'm not just going "this names rocks", I'll add a few of my ideas:

-Cragijem (Crag+ Gem)
-Gemineral (Gem + Mineral)

I know, they both have Gem in it, but it works well with this guy.

I think Stratagem should win, its witty and fitting.

That said, I wanted to get Terragem out there, for no reason other than there's a terrain generator with a similar name :P

Oh, or it could be terra (earth? terror?) + gem... of course....

Quarnet- Like X-Act's suggestion, this it two fragments of words that (kind of) make up a third word. By combining "Quartz" and "Magnet" a rock that it could be made of and the way it floats, we get a deriveration of "Coronet". According to Wikipedia, a coronet is a small crown consisting of ornaments fixed on a metal ring, which is essentially, what this is by the artwork. Coronet is also a mountain in Sinnoh, which could be a method of evolution if this has prevos.

Amegosh- This is my second entry. Combines Amethyst with Goshenite. Goshenite is what I envision this to be made out of, and Amethyst is there because it could be the eyes, plus the name now reads "Oh my gosh!"

Terraclaw

It's really pretty self-explanatory and simple, which would be great for a name. You don't want something too convoluted. Hope you guys like it.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hmmm, this shall be difficult.

Veclawsedy
Claw, Sedimentary, and velocity.

Igniet Igneous and Jet, modified to sound as it is pronounced.

Obsidius (ob-SIH-dee-uhs) - Obsidian + Igneous. Obsidian is a type of dark colored, very precious rock, just like the look of this thing. Igneous rock is a type of rock. It also sounds rather cool :)

Mithanium (mith-AYN-ee-uhm) - Mithril + Titanium. Mithril is a fictional substance that is harder than even steel. Titanium is just titanium. Can't explain it better than Wikipedia.

Edit: Pronounciations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)