CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 15a - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
AgentLym, the right head looks a bit strange, as it's looking upwards. It also seems to have a red eye and no eyebrows...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Aty, I really like your sprite pose. The heads are fantastic. Go with the gray sprite for your primary coloring. The dark coloring is too dark IMO. I'd suggest lightening the black outlines on the back of the sprite. Right now they satnd out way too much. Overall, I think you should tweak the coloring on the cloud body more. For example, you may want to take a look at the body shading employed by...

AgentLym, I really like the first draft of your sprite. The body shading looks really nice. Two of the heads look great, but the one looking upward is kinda awkward. Try a different positioning for that one. The feet need some tweaking, but the legs are nice. The tail doesn't really look like a tail. I know it's hard to work with jagged lightning bolts, but perhaps there's more you can do.

Dragonzrule, as always you have a dynamic pose to your sprite. I love two of the heads, but the one facing directly forward is hard to figure out. The tail looks great. The body looks more like a boulder than a cloud. I don't know if it's the shape, the coloring, or both -- but perhaps there's something you can do to minimize that.

After only a few hours of submissions, these first few look really promising. I'm sure there are plenty more spriters working on their submissions, so I won't presume to name my favorites. I'm not sure if I'll be entering in this sprite competition -- but after sitting out the CAP 7 sprite poll, I'm itching to do some pixel work. We'll see if I get some time over the next few days.

So far, I think they all look great, but I think that Aty's and Vader's look like they have potential. It's still completely open, though, and I'll prob. change my mind.

Vader, I like the pose idea you have there. Hope it turns out well.

My favorite is Atryoki's right now, especially the darker cloud one, but it's open at this point.

Dragonzrulez, I think your sprite's a bit too dynamic and isn't really in the style of official sprites. You should make it have a standing or leaning pose, but not a falling/flying one.

This is unfinished, but a preview of what I've created so far.

I have to be entirely honest, the heads are probably the most difficult part.

If anyone wants to burninate it by using what I've made so far and finishing it with their own work, by all means. I'll probably finish it up soon.

I tried using a 3/4th view, since a majority of Pokemon sprites seem to do that, anyway.

If anyone wants to burninate it by using what I've made so far and finishing it with their own work, by all means. I'll probably finish it up soon.

I tried using a 3/4th view, since a majority of Pokemon sprites seem to do that, anyway.
From what I've seen so far, this one looks to me like the best one. I like how the feet are detached from the body. I sure hope someone can stick some good heads on this.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus

This looks really cool, I want to see it finished.

I think I'll try my hand at spriting some heads. I'm fairly new to spriting, having only started in Easter break, and feel kind of iffy about doing an entire sprite.

@ supermarth64
Well, the 'red eye' is supposed to be his mouth, and there is a little eyebrow showing from behind. (he's showing you his 'chin' :P) But, yeah, that was a little... obscure. But I think I fixed it. Thanks for the hint! :)

@ Doug
I took your advice and changed the position of the third head. Also, I fixed the tail up good! And, although you liked the body, I think I made it better, although I'd value your opinion on it!

@ Dragonzrule
I really like yours! How it's flying sideways and stuff is really neat! Great job!

@ Everybody Else
I updated mine! :D

OLD-->

NEW-->

(Sorry for not including the shinys and stuff. I'll do that once I get a definitive sprite first. ;) )

Anyhow, I think it looks much better this way! But, it's not what I think, it's what you guys think, so send me some opinions! Thanks!

@ supermarth64
Well, the 'red eye' is supposed to be his mouth, and there is a little eyebrow showing from behind. (he's showing you his 'chin' :P) But, yeah, that was a little... obscure. But I think I fixed it. Thanks for the hint! :)

@ Doug
I took your advice and changed the position of the third head. Also, I fixed the tail up good! And, although you liked the body, I think I made it better, although I'd value your opinion on it!

@ Dragonzrule
I really like yours! How it's flying sideways and stuff is really neat! Great job!

@ Everybody Else
I updated mine! :D

OLD-->

NEW-->

(Sorry for not including the shinys and stuff. I'll do that once I get a definitive sprite first. ;) )

Anyhow, I think it looks much better this way! But, it's not what I think, it's what you guys think, so send me some opinions! Thanks!
Wow Agent, this is amazing. I love the light effect on the cloud, at the base of the necks. Good Job!!!

OLD-->

NEW-->

Easily the best one so far. But we're still pretty early here. Looks awesome!

Initial draft. I'm really tired so i'll do more extensive work later on. I've checked this against all types of backgrounds to prevent that strange halo look against the lightning parts.

I'm not keen on doing an action pose for this particular design. The way it's set up could make it very easy for it to look too cluttered or make limb placement confusing. I'm also using pretty large heads which'll complicate action poses further but i'll make one if people want one.

That looks really good, Wyverii, it's definitely my favourite as of yet. The only thing that bothers me is that the necks and legs don't look like lightning, but more like physical necks.

Wyverii, your sprite gives CAP8 a "Legendary" feel, while all others submitted so far were more like... common.

Which is why I like it the best. :) Good job.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Initial draft. I'm really tired so i'll do more extensive work later on. I've checked this against all types of backgrounds to prevent that strange halo look against the lightning parts.

I'm not keen on doing an action pose for this particular design. The way it's set up could make it very easy for it to look too cluttered or make limb placement confusing. I'm also using pretty large heads which'll complicate action poses further but i'll make one if people want one.
ohhh! I really like the Wyverii, I especially I like the color choice you did along with the shading. I for one like the necks attached, and not looking like lightening; I could also be crazy though.

Love this, but as the previous posters said, you should probably make the heads and limbs look more like lightning, like they are being created from within the cloud.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Originally Posted by Fat Wyverii

I think this is amazing. I personally prefer that the heads aren't "made of lightning" because lightning doesn't just sit there outside of a storm cloud. It's just exploding air and that doesn't last. The electricity-looking heads and limbs remind me of Jolteon with its electricity-looking fur, which is why I think it works. The cloud body is perfect, too, and the whole thing looks in proportion and uncluttered. Great work. Definitely my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)