Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

I've given take the Spritomb lead on a spin.

SPRITOMB @ Choice Scarf
Female
IVs: 28 / 26 / 31 / 27 / 31 / 26
Evs: 252 / 0 / 92 / 0 / 164 / 0

- Trick
- Protect (PP Maxed)
- Grudge (PP Maxed)
- Taunt

First off, YOU NEED GRUDGE PP MAXED, if you're trying to whittle out a move, sometimes you need more than 5 PP to do it (you don't want to alternate or anything, because you may receive a crit).

Its defences are respectable. Most pokemon have trouble 3HKOing it.

Its poor speed really lets it down. You have to trick THEN protect to see what your oppenent has been tricked to! Its really bad if the opponent has used something like Swords Dance then been tricked to a powerful STAB move. Then you have to hope it'll survive 3 Hits so you can get a Grudge in.

I'm using this in conjunction with a Garchomp and a Scizor. 5 Turns is a tough time limit, considering you're still taking (sometimes quite a bit of) damage from Struggle. +6 Bullet Punch OHKOs all but the bulkiest of waters. I'm yet to see something survive +6 Outrage.

I'm up to battle ~30 now. Its still really early, I'll post updates later.

That Spirtomb really isn't going to work; snapper is right it is just too slow.
For example( Hypothetical of course).
1)X uses T-wave
spiritomb can't move due to para hax!
OR
2)X uses stat up move
spirtomb uses trick
X uses stong move - It's a critical hit! Spirtomb faints.
There are other examples; but the point is that at some point in your run, your sweeper will face a pokemon that either; is stat boosted; not tricked; or in another position to hurt the sweeper.
Even if it goes well, going against a stuggling opponent isn't the best stratergy. A crit 50 base power move can hurt, and you will only get 4-5 turns of set up due to recoil (Not good for calm mind/DD etc). Keep in mind also that the pokemon will be at *1.5 speed, potentially out-running the sweeper.
IMO, Cress/meta are much better at getting the setting up job done.

Managed my first streak worth posting here since I picked up DPPt again.

Platinum Battle Tower Single Battle: 110.

My team:
Starmie @ Expert Belt ** Goes to 11
Natural Cure
Modest Nature
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Bog standard, but it works so well in the Battle Tower, I couldn't resist it. Expert Belt > Life Orb because it often plays in the sand. Hits 9 out of 17 types for super effective damage anyway, so Expert Belt feels justified.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf ** Lohengrin
Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail

Yeah, Choice Scarf. I thought I'd try it out for kicks, and it works rather well. It has the ability to revenge kill some slower foes without having them outspeed him and take a chunk out of his HP.

Garchomp (F) @ Salac Berry ** Europa
Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Sub thrice, dance once, sweep. Straightforward, but this lady proved her worth during this streak more than a few times.

The basic strategy of the team is to try and dent the opponent lead as much as possible with Starmie, and it often takes out at least one pokémon, send in Tyranitar to revenge-kill whatever is left standing and then sacrifice it to get Garchomp in. Garchomp usually subs until I get a Sand Veil hax (which is surprisingly often in the BT), or until the opponent does something stupid - like trying to status Chomp. Swords Dance -> sweep. Often I don't even need to send in Garchomp since Tyranitar can just clean up with speedy STAB Crunch.

Problematic pokémon include Sceptile and Alakazam.

I lost in battle 111 to:
838 | Rampardos | Jolly | Choice Scarf | Head Smash | Earthquake | Giga Impact | Superpower | Atk/Spe
It was faster than my entire team and crit-haxed Garchomp after I mis-read the list and thought it was the Adamant Life Orb one and lost Starmie to that. Tyranitar was left with like 20% HP and Rampardos died to recoil. My opponent sent out Togekiss who got crit-OHKO'd by Crunch, but the last pokémon was a Drapion. Sigh.

I cannot believe this bullshit!

I got beaten by a Cursenoir that keeps getting lucky with the confusion hits, confusion again ruined my streak. Fuck this game, fuck it to hell.

I killed something with Gengar, then Dusknoir comes in, predicting a KO move, I used Destiny Bond when he used Curse. He lucks out Suicune, scoring 2 confusion hits, no surf ever hits him.

Those Trick leads are not going to help me, I need as much free kills as possible.
Does this happen a lot? Or is it just my shitty luck?

My Team was this:
Gengar- Hasty
252 SA/252 Spd

@ Sash
~ Shadow Ball, T-bolt, Destiny Bond, Counter

Suicune- Bold
252 HP/ 252 Def

@ Chesto
~ Surf, Calm Mind, Rest, Toxic

Machamp- Jolly (No Guard)
252 Spd/ 252 Atk

~ Dy-punch, Ice Punch, T-punch, Earthquake

I need improvements again. Things I noticed, my Weavile (lead from before) and Gengar are assholes and love to screw me over, something is wrong with them. Gengar ALWAYS leaves my opponent's in red, first I thought it was Sash, but it wasn't. It can't OHKO a Croagunk with Shadow Ball? It happened like... 10 times in a 30ish battle streak. What the fuck is this shit?

The glaring psychic weakness is also an issue, but if Machamp is gone, I have no DT counter. I couldn't think of anything else that can improve this.

btw, is the luck still manipulated like in Emerald in Frontier to make the game "more fun"?

@Clear,your ivs may be too low.try iv breeding.promise that will help.
You shoulda used shadow ball on noir.Sent in machamp and koed with Eq :/
@Spiritomb lead.yeah i was just looking at sets and saw atleast onehundread ways it can die!

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Problematic pokémon include Sceptile and Alakazam.
848 Weavile Jolly Razor Fang Night Slash Ice Punch Aerial Ace Brick Break Atk/Spe

you will literally never beat this pokemon unless you get lucky with sandveil hax or garchomp is already out and subbed, tyra takes 86% min from bb and you have to switch it in to night slash or ice punch anyway, besides the fact that you're slower even with choice scarf and can only ohko weavile with the worst move in the game

I got beaten by a Cursenoir that keeps getting lucky with the confusion hits, confusion again ruined my streak. Fuck this game, fuck it to hell.
yeah that dusknoir is a real bitch, straight up teams have problems beating it. it managed to beat my sss team in the castle the same way by gaying suicune, it didnt help that in that battle my lax was not healed to full hp and that i'd made disk Lv55 and could have been able to rest before it used confuse ray, but still. that said:

Those Trick leads are not going to help me, I need as much free kills as possible.
why? are you going for a record or just going for BP or what? the only reason i'm not using one of the 3-4 trick teams i've created or theorymonned is because i want to use something else—trickscarf is unequivocally the most broken strategy in the tower and the best way to get a record

btw, is the luck still manipulated like in Emerald in Frontier to make the game "more fun"?
seems like it so i will say "yes"

All my dudes are IV bred, the Suicune is iamchris's Suicune.

The only reason I choose Gengar to be a lead over anything else is because it gains free kills, at least 1. Not to mention, it gives free grace during OHKO hax.

I have told you how unlucky I have been getting in Emerald's BF, jump. Let's not remember your "OMG Heracross broke through 6 DTs on my Ludicolo on his first Megahorn, critical hit too!" thing at Battle Factory. Back in R/S tower, I got Quick Claw/OHKOed 2 times that ended my streak. DT (BAN ME PLEASE)s ruined my streak 4 times before I got to 100.

I am aiming for that last trainer star, so I need a 100 streak. I could care less about the record. If I could out BS everything else, that would be nice, but I want to get all the trainer stars first.

Could there be a better solution than Machamp?

848 Weavile Jolly Razor Fang Night Slash Ice Punch Aerial Ace Brick Break Atk/Spe

you will literally never beat this pokemon unless you get lucky with sandveil hax or garchomp is already out and subbed, tyra takes 86% min from bb and you have to switch it in to night slash or ice punch anyway, besides the fact that you're slower even with choice scarf and can only ohko weavile with the worst move in the game
Yes, I met this very Weavile earlier today, at around 95 I think (my streak is up at 105 now), and the only reason it didn't break my streak was a Sand Veil hax. I looked at one of your teams that happens to have the exact same pokemon, but with ScarfChomp and DDtar instead, and it seems like that might be the better option. Still, I don't know if I want to re-breed a Tyranitar and a Garchomp right now. I'll just use this team and pray I don't run into that Weavile again and go as far as possible till the streak is broken.

Yes, I met this very Weavile earlier today, at around 95 I think (my streak is up at 105 now), and the only reason it didn't break my streak was a Sand Veil hax. I looked at one of your teams that happens to have the exact same pokemon, but with ScarfChomp and DDtar instead, and it seems like that might be the better option. Still, I don't know if I want to re-breed a Tyranitar and a Garchomp right now. I'll just use this team and pray I don't run into that Weavile again and go as far as possible till the streak is broken.
"Pray", "Hope", or "Salvation", are words that does not exist in Battle Frontier.

New Castle and Arcade records

While taking a break from my beloved Factory i decided to try some of the other facilities of the Frontier,and i think i did pretty good as both Castle and Arcade records were made on my first attempt...

Used these for both facilities:

Latios Timid (31Spd) 252sp.att 252 speed 6 def
Phychic
Thunderbolt
Surf
Draco Meteor

Lucario Jolly (31spd) 252att 252 spd 6def
Close Combat
Exspeed
Ice Punch
Swords Dance

Zapdos Modest (31spd) 252sp.att 252spd 6sp.def
Thunderbolt
Heatwave
HP Ice
U-Turn

And the guest,used only for the boss battle on Castle:
Garchomp Adamant (27spd) 252att 252 spd 6hp
Outrage
EQ
Stone Edge
Fire Fang

So,on Arcade i finished the 49th 'brain battle' pretty easily(no event on the board) as togekiss came out first,and got KOed by a critical hit Thunderbolt.Then Blaziken comes out and gets killed by Surf and finally Latios kills zapdos with a Phychic+DM while enduring the Signal beam.
On the 51st battle i choose paralysis on the board and practically lost the battle before it even began,thus i dont remember nothing more than the fact that i lost from a cresselia....So my Arcade streak stopped at 50.

On Castle,Latios was sweaping everything on sight and got me around 690 CP so i desided to skip two rounds(battles 35-48) in order to get the Gold.I swaped Lucario with Garchomp and used him as a lead.After passing the 6 battles of that round,i used my remaining CP to reduce the levels of Gallade and Empoleon.Garchmp had a nice party OHKOing those two,and then 2HKOed Entei with EQ(it was actually a speed tie as the Entei moved first once and used Calm Mind).
I lost at battle 59 by a team of Starmie,Houndoom and Luxray.Starmie outspeeds and brings me to 49hp with Blizzard and endures my Thunderbolt,luckily enough on KO range from Extremespeed.So,i switch to Lukario,to take the Blizzard(which didn't miss,i think that 2 Blizzards in a row have a 49% to hit...)and KO with EXspeed.Houndoom came out,i used EXspeed again taking about 1/2 of its health and Luke got killed by Fire Fang.I used Zapdos next,who took another Fire Fang and KOed with Tbolt.Finally Luxray came out,avoided one of my Heatwaves and killed Zapdos,then i used Phychic with Latios(Draco Meteor is the BEST attack in the game,there is no such factor as 90% accuracy...)and i Luxray's health stopped at 1%...F*CK.Castle Record 58.

For your viewing pleasure two Castle Battles including the final one(didn't upload Arcade boss battle cause it was too ridiculous imo):

394 wins.

This is really old so. AND THIS IS NOT ME, ALL THE CREDITS GO TO HIM, I just wanted to show how awsome he is. DIAMOND/PEARL B.T

Tauros: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 hp. Adamant, Choice Band, Make Sure: MAX (31) Ivs in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense, Speed (Sdef he has is 29 Ivs), Why?: Intimdate+100 base defense allows to take more hits. and 75 hp base is pretty low. Attack and speed is obvious.

Zen Headbutt
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Giga Impact

From what I see, he just uses moves that will do a lot of damage... Also, due to the fact that Tauros is a normal Type, he can use its typing to switch into this pokemon:

Shedinja:252 attack, 252 speed Adamant Focus Sash, Make Sure: 31 Ivs Attack, 31 Ivs Speed.

Will-O-Wisp
X-Scissor
Shadow Sneak
Sunny Day

Abusing Wonder Guard ability to switch in. He uses Will-O-Wisp on the pokemon and damages with X-Scissor, Shadow Sneak to Pick off. Sunny day insures he wont die from Hail users and Sandstreams so he gets his sashed.

Froslass: Naive, 252 Special attack 252 speed, Life orb, 6hp, Make sure, 31 Ivs special attack, and Speed

Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Destiny Bond

Having bolt beam coverage gets the job down. Shadow ball for ghost/psychic, and of course, destiny bond for classic suicide.

Link for 394 Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaN0...2487373&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=169

so hey guys it isnt exaclty a record because i cant go over 50ish battles with my diamond battle tower record lol...but ive been reading your posts and i think you guys can really help me.. so far i been using porygon-z, genger,starmie, gross, garchomp, uxie, skarm, blissey, salamence etc..alll of thm i breed with 25+ or close on the important stats and ev trained....however i try all sorts of combos and they still owned sooner or later.. so anyway i want to try a sandstorm team i think.. one that works together... will this work you think?im thinking hippowdon( better defenses and support) or tyranitar (ovbiously sweeper) as lead, magnazone for sturdy( those stupid one hit kos are random but dangerous and to deal with waters.. but who for a third? gardchomp? scizor? ( that should mess up a blissey right? or do i need a wall???. heeelp me please guys then ill breed for good Iv's and ev train. thx

@chinese dood:
The guy hacks,iv seen him use air slash zapdos in another vid!
So clearly thats probably hacked or someshit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0rgSYdgRjY&feature=channel_page

proof:look at minute 3:26 and again on 6:26 and how does he get to 394 when he does something stupid as use air slash on donphan when he has hp ice and likewise with espeon when he has t-bolt!
and i remeber seeing the same zapdos in another vid from that guy which he deleted that was in thr d/p tower!

Just got some recent streaks:

Team:

Garchomp "Hammertime"
Jolly 252 attack 252 speed 4 HP @yache berry
19/31/17/4/31/31
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge

Scizor "Kamakura"
Adamant 252 HP 252 attack 4 defence @focus sash
20/31/12/20/17/16
Swords Dance
Superpower
X-Scissor
Bullet Punch

Salamence "Hyakutake"
Rash 88 attack 240 special attack 180 speed @life orb
30/31/31/31/17/31
Draco Meteor
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake

Yeah I know, really boring team. But at least they're shiny which makes things slightly more interesting, and I came up with the Salamence set myself to what appears to be an acceptable degree of originality. Same team got all the following streaks and for the sake of completeness, Hammertime has a currently alive streak of 170 in the Battle Hall but I know that doesn't make the records.

Battle Tower: 73 (dead)
Battle Castle: 49 (still alive)
Battle Arcade: 49 (still alive)

Lost in the battle tower to a fisherman, who had yet another bloody Lapras as a lead as well as Walrein and Slowking. First turn, Garchomp outrages for 60% on Lapras and Lapras ice beams back for a critical hit through yache. Next turn I draco meteor with Salamence because I really want this Lapras dead. Naturally it gets destroyed. Then he sends out Walrein, with outrage only doing 60% and Salamence getting OHKOed back by ice beam. I'm in a really nasty position here already, and send in Scizor. However he doesn't outspeed Walrein and gets hit hard to 45% by surf before KOing it with X-scissor. I didn't think bullet punch would KO and was gambling on Scizor outspeeding Walrein. No such luck. Then he sends out Slowking. I X-scissor for what seems like the KO... but it hangs on at ~1%. Then he aqua tails, which would probably not have KOed... and it crits. There went several hours of work.

Brief reasons for losing:
-Generally sloppy play I have to admit, but I didn't want to break Scizor's sash which had actually saved me on multiple occasions.
-His team pretty much countered mine. Judging by the amount of winter ace trainers and random Laprases and Walreins flying around, it looks like the Tower does send counters after you much like how the Hall does.
-He got two crits, I got none. A large amount of hax seemingly. I probably rolled low with that X-scissor too.
-SCIZOR HAD NO SPEED EVS, the main reason. This is because he was a member of my brother's trick room team at the London VGC, and I couldn't be arsed re-EVing him. His IVs suck majorly also. I need to rebreed.

Lol sorry, got Superpower mixed up with Stone Edge.

They both begin with S... =P

Edit: Damn edited the wrong one; I replaced Garchomp's Stone Edge with Superpower

Edit 2: Fixed lol

Seems my last post about getting haxed by honchkrow got deleted but anyways got around to finishing my next battle hall try.

1. Platinum, Battle Hall, Single, 201

2. Level 50

Adamant
31 / 31 / 25 / 28 / 26 / 31

EV Spread 6hp/252atk/252spd

@ Choiceband
Outrage
Earthquake
Flamethrower
Hydro pump

Hydro pump to guarantee OHKO rhyperior, flamethrower for sash-counter scizor.

4. I had water, dark, and ice left on the board. I chose water and
drew a Slowbro. I failed to OHKO with outrage, he did not with icebeam.

Seems my last post about getting haxed by honchkrow got deleted but anyways got around to finishing my next battle hall try.

1. Platinum, Battle Hall, Single, 201

2. Level 50

Adamant
31 / 31 / 25 / 28 / 26 / 31

EV Spread 6hp/252atk/252spd

@ Choiceband
Outrage
Earthquake
Flamethrower
Hydro pump

Hydro pump to guarantee OHKO rhyperior, flamethrower for sash-counter scizor.

4. I had water, dark, and ice left on the board. I chose water and
drew a Slowbro. I failed to OHKO with outrage, he did not with icebeam.

Would Aqua Tail be a better choice for accuracy against Rhyperior and wouldn't it do the same purpose of OHKOing or am I missing something?

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Would Aqua Tail be a better choice for accuracy against Rhyperior and wouldn't it do the same purpose of OHKOing or am I missing something?
yes you are, solid rock:

607 Atk vs 344 Def & 356 HP (90 Base Power): 342 - 405 (96.07% - 113.76%)

hey everyone i need help on my team... im gonna use a nasty plot azelf (timid ev trained in speed/special attack) with the standard nasty plot moveset... and im thinking of using my new weaville im working on (jolly with 31 hp/31attack/ 29 speed) with brick break/night slash/ice shard/ariel ace also.... to deal with those double teamers and endure pokes... but who would go good with these two? or do you guys feel azelf and weaville on same team are way to fragile, because im thinking they might be...can you guys help plz?

also p.s. once im done ev training pokes is it neccessary to lvl to lvl 100 before i use them in tower to get the stat increase?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)