US Regional Qualifier - Phoenix, AZ - May 22nd, 2010 WON BY XEROGRADE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratz to all who competed and won invites to nats. (: It's a shame I had to back out due to well, parents :s But oh I have people who will be avenging me >:) i'd like to see some RMT's from people who did well without Ogre Top ;o

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
awww men looks like everyone forgot about me, i guess making top 8 with no byes isnt enough [JK]. looks like ima need to post a pimp ass warstory to get my name out there. and btw i think if i could have gotten past that stupid persian user i woulda had a very good chance at winning the event based on the teams/held items i saw of the final 2. anyways good Job everyone who got national invites. hopefully i can put my nationals invite to use and go to nationals

I was there today! Being a Phoenix native I would feel terrible if I didn't go. Haha, I didn't participate though. But since I don't have Wi-Fi at home it was nice to be able to trade and stuff with people en masse. I came home with the Shiny Eevee and three more cool shiny Pogeys. :D

Congrats to everyone, especially Xerograde! I wanted to watch your match but I didn't want to try to work my way into the crowd. lol

Also really looking forward to everyone's awesome Warstories.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shinryu, you were the Persian user?
You are my goddamn hero <3
I liked it a lot, too - it was pretty ballsy. My girlfriend liked your team a lot as well, mostly because she's a cat person. (She made it as far as the fourth round, just short of the finalist's lounge.)

I finally have an internet connection. I lost out Round 4 to the guy who got 2nd place (Michael i believe?).

War story when i get home.

BANGARANG!

Mmm...I'm the messiah or something I guess XD

Lol, ok time for a basic tell all here:

The main concept of my team, as some of you undoubtedly saw, was to get a Weavile with a Sub and SD up, from which it then could sweep almost all Pokemon with either Low Kick (ideally, in actuality I was forced into Brick Break since I didn't have enough time to run the stupid HG BF for enough BP for low kick) and Ice Shard, while locking down the opponent's partner with Sleep.

Now to supplement that, I had several criteria for a partner: it needed to be fast, with Fake Out, a sleep inducing move, and preferably Taunt to ward off their own attempts at status and whatnot. So after digging through...well, a lot of moves and Pokemon, I came up with Persian; at 115 base speed, it outspeeds all ubers besides Mewtwo and your random scarfers, meaning it can get off the subsequent Hypnosis after the initial Fake Out. As it was frail, Sashing it was the only way to go to pull it off; yes, obviously Hail and stuff would kill it off, but based on what I saw, most people didn't bring in Aboma till later (if used), and again its main goal was to get Weavile set up. Finally, who the hell seriously expects a Persian to be hanging around with ubers, or knows what the hell it does? I think that definitely confused quite a few people XD

So, you put that all together, and you get this:

Persian @ Focus Sash
+Spe nature, Limber, 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 6 HP
-Fake Out
-Hypnosis
-Taunt
-Icy Wind

I chose Limber as the ability, since I figured paralysis would have killed off his usefulness, and as he was meant purely as a support Pokemon, Technician did nothing for him or his pitiful attacking stats anyways. That being said though, as I wanted Sash to go off, I gave it 252 Spe EVs, 252 SpA EVs, and 6 into HP; Persian ain't taking hits with his meager HP or Defensive stats, so why delay the inevitable?

Now in retrospect (ie, after I'd bred the damn thing), Frail would have made a great addition over Icy Wind, allowing it the option of dealing major damage if, god permit, it somehow was still alive after Hypnosis, or alternatively over Hypnosis I guess. I liked Icy Wind though initially as it plays the more support-type of move, making it easier for Weavile and subsequent Pokemon to come on in and get their stuff going against slower opponents.

Anyways, that's my mini Persian article I guess. Yay for underrated Pokemon. And for what it's worth, I'm a cat person as well, which made it extra nice I could use something like Persian :)

Do you have a video uploaded in the GTS Shinryu?

Nice Strat. Did you get to break a Light Screen or Reflect with BB lol.

Do you have a video uploaded in the GTS Shinryu?

Nice Strat. Did you get to break a Light Screen or Reflect with BB lol.
I have the video of my loss to Xerograde, not much in it tbh other than me looking a bit noobish when I realized I never thought of countering BP. Shame you can only save 1 vid...

And no, didn't break any barriers.

I have the video of my loss to Xerograde, not much in it tbh other than me looking a bit noobish when I realized I never thought of countering BP. Shame you can only save 1 vid...

And no, didn't break any barriers.
Go Go Video # ^_^

Persian eh? Wow, I've never heard of that idea before! Very innovative Shinryu and in a way, your originality spurred your success. I would've been completely unprepared for that!

Can't wait to see more battle recorder numbers to watch some vids. Hoping to see the final by the end of today. :)

Ninahaza

SHYNRYU YOU AND ME, TODAY, REMATCH FUUU
when we faced off in the vgc i saw your cat and not knowing anything about persain[speed, attck,movepool] i ignored weavile and went for persains head to avoid unseen/unpredictable dangers, and you dare take that time to set up substitute and swordance on weavile...........i still cant believe it[but its a dam good strategy] but i assure you this time around things will go my way

also guys for my war-story when posting my team how do i make them fancy looking with thier pics above thier stats/moves.

SHYNRYU YOU AND ME, TODAY, REMATCH FUUU
when we faced off in the vgc i saw your cat and not knowing anything about persain[speed, attck,movepool] i ignored weavile and went for persains head to avoid unseen/unpredictable dangers, and you dare take that time to set up substitute and swordance on weavile...........i still cant believe it[but its a dam good strategy] but i assure you this time around things will go my way

also guys for my war-story when posting my team how do i make them fancy looking with thier pics above thier stats/moves.
Clearly he won't play with that cat again because everyone now knows everything about it

Thanks for all the congrats! I had a blast. Did not expect to win at all. It was great meeting some of you in person. Sucks that I didn't get to talk to any of you afterward because of all the formalities.

Shinryu, your team definitely threw me a curve ball. haha. Did not expect Persian or Jumpluff at all in the final 4.

Here is the video code for the final match:
54-24022-25139

This was a great battle. I didn't know who would win until the last few seconds really. Hopefully I or someone else will get it on youtube soon. And I'll do a warstory soon as well. Looking forward to meeting many more of you at nats!

i love underdogs, (undercats?) ... lol a Persian, classic. i am planning to use unexpected pokemon as well if i can make it to the New York Torunament

oh yea, nobody here knows me, I'm Pedro or PJ_Graphix. maybe you guys will see more from me soon.

and congrats to you Xerograde. i still dont know what your team was though, i dont think anyone mentioned it? id like to know what you kicked butt with, lol

Ninahaza

Clearly he won't play with that cat again because everyone now knows everything about it
hehe yeah, i was jk i didnt mean to sound mad or anything, but i do want a rematch if u can find time for it shynryu, also also congratz to grade for winning. as for his team i will let him tell in his war-story. speaking of war-stories any1 have an answer to my "how do you post your team with the little mini pics of the pokemon above its nature/held-item and stats.
sigh been flying all weekend, i wish i booked non-stop flights dang

I went and made top 16 :) I saved one of my tougher battles so I'll upload it later, and I'll try to make decent warstory lol. I was the one with a shiny ho-oh in my team.

Thanks for all the congrats! I had a blast. Did not expect to win at all. It was great meeting some of you in person. Sucks that I didn't get to talk to any of you afterward because of all the formalities.

Shinryu, your team definitely threw me a curve ball. haha. Did not expect Persian or Jumpluff at all in the final 4.

Here is the video code for the final match:
54-24022-25139

This was a great battle. I didn't know who would win until the last few seconds really. Hopefully I or someone else will get it on youtube soon. And I'll do a warstory soon as well. Looking forward to meeting many more of you at nats!
Very exciting match. I'm sure the crowd loved the drama.

But if you think about it, you had it in the bag with the same moves. Work it out, your faster with mewtwo so ice beam kills before he even gets the chance to low kick toxicroak (saying he does instead of suckering) and then palkia would have to crit both to win really. But hax can have it's way with you (like some other things.. xD).

Nice match, nice to see something different winning for a change!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)