Genesect

Genosekuto
Type:
Bug/Steel
Ability: Download
Base Stats: 71/120/95/120/95/99

This is a very interesting high-tech robot bug thingy. Looks kinda like a walking car with a gun on its back. Now let's see how this sucker is.

Movepool
Level Up Moves
Lv./Moves
- Techno Buster
- Quick Attack
- Magnet Rise
- Metal Claw
- Screech
7 Fury Cutter
11 Lock-on
18 Nitro Charge
22 Magnet Bomb
29 Slash
33 Metal Sound
40 Signal Beam
44 Tri Attack
51 X-Scissor
55 Bug Buzz
62 Simple Beam
66 Zap Cannon
73 Hyper Beam
77 Selfdestruct

TM/HM
TM#/Move Name
01 Claw Sharpen
06 Toxic
10 Hidden Power
13 Ice Beam
14 Blizzard
15 Hyper Beam
16 Light Screen
17 Protect
21 Frustration
22 Solarbeam
24 Thunderbolt
25 Thunder
27 Return
29 Psychic
32 Double Team
33 Reflect
35 Flamethrower
40 Aerial Ace
42 Facade
43 Nitro Charge
44 Rest
48 Sing A Round (Troll?)
53 Energy Ball
57 Charge Beam
64 Explosion
65 Shadow Claw
68 Giga Impact
69 Rock Polish
70 Flash
73 Thunder Wave
76 Bug Opposition
81 X-Scissor
87 Swagger
89 U-turn
90 Subsitute
91 Flash Cannon
HM#/Move Name
02 Fly

The first thing you may notice are excellent typing, good mixed attacking stats, Download, and decent bulk.

Here are some good and the bad about him:

• Good Typing - Bug/Steel is an excellent type combination and will allow Genosekuto to switch into the many powerful Dragon type attacks that plague Ubers.
  • Excellent Mixed Attacking Stats - 120 in both Attack and Special Attack means that Genosekuto will put a large dent in anything, although his special movepool is superior to his physical movepool.
  • Download - This is one of the things that stood out to me. With a download boost Genosekuto boasts incredible power, dealing an impressive 61.1%-72.1% to Lugia, assuming 252+ and a Download boost.
  • Explosion - A powerful attack that will allow him to take out special walls such as the ever annoying Blissey.
  • Lack of Boosting Moves - This really annoys me about Genosekuto as his only useful boosting move is Rock Polish. No moves that will help him abuse his more useful special movepool.
  • Barren Physical Movepool - The one thing that stops him from being a viable mixed attacker. Really, his only usable moves would probably be U-turn, X-scissor, and lol quick attack.
  • 99 Base Speed - This is just fail. Genosekuto will be outsped by many things because of one little tiny base point.
There are many better choices for what Genosekuto can do, unfortunately. However, I think that Download will be what helps Genosekuto find his niche in Ubers (or OU if he isn't determined "strong" enough)

And now, discuss!

Genosect
71 HP | 120 Atk |95 Def | 120 SpA | 95 SpD | 99 Spe

Level-up moves
- Techno Buster
- Quick Attack
- Magnet Rise
- Metal Claw
- Screech
7 Fury Cutter
11 Lock-On
18 Nitro Charge
22 Magnet Bomb
29 Slash
33 Metal Sound
40 Signal Beam
44 Tri AttacK
51 X-Scissor
55 Bug Buzz
62 Simple Beam
66 Zap Cannon
73 Hyper Beam
77 Selfdestruct

TM/HM moves
Claw Sharpen
Toxic
Hidden Power
Ice Beam
Blizzard
Hyper Beam
Light Screen
Protect
Frustration
SolarBeam
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Return
Pyschic
Double Team
Reflect
Flamethrower
Aerial Ace
Facade
Nitro Charge
Rest
Sing A Round

Energy Ball
Charge Beam
Explosion
Shadow Claw
Giga Impact
Rock Polish
Flash
Thunder Wave
Inesct Opposition
X-Scissor
Swagger
U-turn
Substitue
Flash Cannon
Fly

New Move Data:
Techno Buster: Base Power 85, 100 Accuracy - Inflicts damage and has no secondary effect. The type of Techno Buster depends on the type of Cassette held by the user, being Normal-type if there is none held, and Electric, Fire, Ice or Water with the appropriate Cassette.

Ability:
Download: Attack is increased when the foe’s Defense is lower than its Special Defense or increases Special Attack when the foe’s Special Defense is lower than its Defense.

Typing:
Bug/Steel
Weaknesses: Fire 400%
Resistances: Normal 50%, Grass 25%, Ice 50%, Psychic 50%, Bug 50%, Ghost 50%, Dragon 50%, Dark 50%, Steel 50%
Immunities: Poison

Possible sets:

Choice:
Genosect @ Choice Specs/Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest/Timid
~ Bug Buzz
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Explosion/Hidden Power Ground/Flamethrower

The main attack here will obviously be Bug Buzz, receiving stab off of 120 base special attack, bolstered by specs. Genosect also has access to the popular Boltbeam combination. As for the last slot, Explosion is an option as well as Hidden Power Ground to hit things like Heatran and Hihidaruma. A specially-based Life Orb set could also be set up similarly.

Physically-Based Mix:
Genosect @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Lonely/Naughty
~ Nitro Charge/Claw Sharpen
~ X-Scissor
~ Explosion
~ Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/ Flamethrower

Genosect doesn't have much of a physical movepool. A choice of a boosting move, followed by X-Scissor for stab, explosion. He has decent enough special attack to catch something off guard with super effective special attacks.

Mixed Booster:
Genosect @ Life Orb
EVs: x Atk/ x SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Lonely/Naughty
~ Claw Sharpen
~ Zap-Cannon
~ Blizzard
~ X-Scissor

Claw Sharpen's increase of accuracy allows for a plausible use of Zap-Cannon. The 100% chance of paralysis allows it to outspeed and kill anything faster that cannot kill Genosect in a single hit, as well as being incredibly powerful; 120 base damage coming from 120 base Special Attack is certainly nothing to scoff at. Blizzard abuses the accuracy boost as well, creating a pseudo-boltbeam; and, of course, X-Scissor for physical STAB.

A choice band set could possibly be pulled off with Nitro Charge, U-turn, X-Scissor, and Explosion, but that's just about all of Genosect's physical movepool. Being locked into Nitro Charge is just asking for Heatran or another Flash Fire user to come in, despite its bonuses. Nitro Charge would be better left to something that can abuse it more efficiently. Choice banded U-turning is better left to Scizor as well.

Techno Buster gets no mention at all because I found that it simply ended up being outclassed by the existing moves that Genosect already has access to, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower. To use Techno Boost, he must also forgo his Choice item or Life Orb, severely dampening his effectiveness. The only cassette that can even provide anything close to a benefit is the Aqua Cassette. With this item, Techno Buster becomes a water type attack; although, even this is outclassed by Hidden Power, which allows him to keep his item.

Summary:
If one does not play Genosect as a vastly inferior Scizor, he has his own niche to fill. Claw sharpen raising Zap-Cannon's accuracy could prove interesting, though it's mostly theorymonning at this point. Lack of a real physical movepool certainly hurts him, as he only really has X-Scissor to use with his base 120 attack; Earthquake or Stone Edge would have been welcomed.

Of course, being some sort of lovechild between Shockwave and Soundwave doesn't hurt.

I like how he has a lazer cannon attached to his head.

Seriously though, I can see him in OU. 99 speed combined with poor movepool means he'll be pretty predictable.

That's a great set of moves - and there's much better coverage available against Fire types or reliable Fire-users, too.

He also has those cassette items that changes the color of the light on his laser and his signature move's typing.

I'm not sure of ACC or Power, but Techno Buster changes its typing depending on the cartridge hold item Genosekuto has. I believe there are Water, Elec, Fire, and either Ice or Grass, 4 in total.

Explosion coming off 120 base will hurt ANYTHING that tries to specially wall it and it gets a decent enough special movepool. He also has the ever-helpful Thunder Wave if you wanna punish Base-100 switches. U-Turn is neat, but might not be worth the slot. 71/95/95 is great for a Bug/Steel.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I love the fact he's Bug/Steel with 99 Speed while Sazando (?) is Dark/Dragon with 98 Speed.

Team Plasma really did a fucking good work tweaking this pokémon.

He has the ability to be a solid wall breaker with a decent special movepool and access to explosion. Also, a purely special set with rock polish could work out well.

This thing has a huge special movepool and a wide variety of options.
The only problem is that it doesn't seem to be able to do more than 4 moves + life orb. Potentially U-Turn scouting. With impressive 120/120 offensive stats, I can understand Genosect as too powerful for OU, but I could also see it as a regular OU as well.
(Non-serious)
My main question is: how does it get Fly? And how would you use Fly?

Technobooster seems kinda meh. It gets Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. I think this guy looks promising. I would probably end up running:

Genosekuto@Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs; 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion

Gives enough speed to beat base 95s, and then with the LO and Download boost it can hit pretty hard, and then explode on something threatening. I could see a similar set with Scarf and U-turn. Thunderbolt 2HKOs/OHKOs (with DL boost) most of what resists Bug/Fire, like Heatran, Dragonite, Tentacruel, and the Water/Ghosts. Flamethrower beats steal types, and Explosion beats Blissey. Its speed is a let down too. I want to stick Nitrocharge/RP in there, but I don't want to lose any of those moves really.

Genosekuto @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
~ U-Turn
~ Explosion
~ X-Scissor / Shadow Claw
~ Quick Attack / Shadow Claw

Obviously not its best set but it seems like it could work. Its really fast unlike scizor and has explosion.

Genosekuto @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sptk / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive / Timid
~ Bug Buzz
~ Flamethrower
~ Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
~ Explosion / Thunderbolt / Rock Polish

This things got it made, its special movepool is amazing and can really abuse it well.

overall a really cool mon, just wish it had a better physical movepool.

edit: ninjad 2nd time today lol

Genosekuto is a specially based pokemon although it's base offensive stats are equal. The only Technobooster version that would see use is the Water one, and even that's useless, as Bug Buzz>Surf on Genosekuto.

Personally, I'd love to hear the backstory behind this thing and how it relates to the other legendaries, if it is one.

I think this thing has a TON of potential as a wall breaker. Because of its 120/120 attack stats, and download, its always able to hit its target wall in its lower defensive stat, with a ton of force.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think this thing has a TON of potential as a wall breaker. Because of its 120/120 attack stats, and download, its always able to hit its target wall in its lower defensive stat, with a ton of force.
Though this suggestion may be proved to be true in the future when Generation 5 Pokemon are actually tested, at this point in time, it seems to be quite a unusable idea. Though your fact is true about the Pokemon having amazing base 120 offensive stats, its physical move pool is basically empty of viable moves. This is probably the factor that stops Genosekuto from becoming a viable mixed attacker/ wall breaker.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Since most Ubers Sp.Def is higher than their Defense, he will mostly get Attack boosts, which means he'll have to rely on Bug Opposistion and X-Scissor.. His Special Movepool is really large though, and if you manage to get a special variant in on Groudon you're set.

His 99 Base Speed is a huge let down though. Getting outspeed by Manaphy, Palkia, Lati@s, etc. really isn't cool. He's also really frail.

Damn, I was hoping to post this thread, just didn't have enough time xD

Two sets I think could really be helpful to this bad boy.

Genosekuto @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Nature: Timid/Naive
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Bug Buzz
-Flamethrower / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / HP Ground
-Flamethrower / T-bolt / Ice Beam / Explosion / Toxic
-Substitute

Sub + 3 Attacks Geno. It should play a lot like SubTran, only with better typing/defenses/speed, but not as much power. Bug Buzz is the primary STAB attack for him, although Flash Cannon is acceptable if you want slightly better coverage (with T-Bolt) at the cost of some power. Leftovers is prefered for Sub recovery, but Life Orb can be used for more power. Toxic slowly wears down counters, while Explosion is for an unexpected boom from behind a sub (just like SubTran). The other possible moves are simply coverage options that are dependant on what you're trying to hit, though running HP Ground is somewhat recommended so you can beat Fire Types.

This set is a major target of Fire types, particularly Shanderaa and Heatran. Running HP Ground allows you to hurt them so long as you have a Sub up, but either way, you're screwed against a Shadow Tag CM Shanderaa.

Genosekuto @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4SpD / 252 Spe
-Bug Buzz
-Thunderbolt / Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Metal Sound

MS Geno. This is much more gimmicky, but also insanely dangerous, given proper support. This set is pretty self-explanatory, switch into something resisted, Metal Sound the switch-in, then ruin it with a powered up Special Attack.

Geno's speed is unfortunate, but it still outruns a fair portion of the metagame, and can wreak severe havoc with Entry Hazzards backing it up. It really appreciates SR and Spikes, if the former is available. A teammate like Hippowdon, who can set up SR and auto-Sandstorm, is a great ally. Since Geno is just below the speed bracket it would like, T-Wave support can come in handy as well.

EDIT: I also had an xD moment when I realized that the futuristic Bug/Steel thing with a laser cannon on its back is the Paleozoic Pokemon. The Paleozoic Era was about 542 million years ago, according to Wikipedia, so Geno is positively ancient.

Since most Ubers Sp.Def is higher than their Defense, he will mostly get Attack boosts, which means he'll have to rely on Bug Opposistion and X-Scissor.. His Special Movepool is really large though, and if you manage to get a special variant in on Groudon you're set.

His 99 Base Speed is a huge let down though. Getting outspeed by Manaphy, Palkia, Lati@s, etc. really isn't cool. He's also really frail.
There's no reason to assume he'll be an uber.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Genosect is one of the few Pokemon that can revenge kill both Swords Dance and Dragon Dance Rayquaza, like Scarf Jirachi. Except Genosect can actually hurt stuff. Unfortunately, it's slower than Salamence....I have this set in mind

Genosect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: TBD
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Explosion

It's a shame that Genosect has nothing to hit Reshiram super effectively with :(

(Genosect <3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)