Smeargle

If Smeargle uses Growth in sun, a +2 in SpA and +2 in Attack become baton Pass'd, right?
this is good for sun teams and a good pass to mix sweepers like infernaoe but i prefer shell break because all u have to do is have a smeargle and not add other pokemon to use sunny day/ ninetales drought.

Woah, growth gets boosted in the sun too now? I thought it was just changed to be the same as cheer up. I'll make a note of it.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
If Smeargle uses Growth in sun, a +2 in SpA and +2 in Attack become baton Pass'd, right?
How did nobody else notic this?

And yes, this is true. A fairly viable thing to pass, as there are few that can pass it.

EDIT: Hilariously Illumise (with Mischevous Heart) is the only one to pass it; looks like Smeargle is outclassed by two previously NU Bug-types in some facet of Baton Passing...

Seriously this gen is hilarious
Except that Baton Pass + Growth has always been illegal on Illumise. See pages like this for more details.

What about that move that Shuckle uses to average out the Defense or Offense of all Pokemon in play? That could help Smeargle, and hurt the foe, say on the switch after Spore.

Maybe: Spore, Baton Pass, Substitute, Power Share.

Also with things like that move that makes a target have the ability: Simple, that could be great in Doubles... *can Smeargle target itself? Imagine that with a Power-up move.

*ALSO, consider Transform on Smeargle. Ditto is better due to Ability, but Smeargle can Spore, Substitute, Filler [Reflect, Magic Coat, etc], Transform.

breh

強いだね
Smeargle is the only one who can learn Spider Web and Perish Song, let's remember that.
Mean Look+Perish Song is learned by many though... In fact, every fully evolved one has higher stats in every aspect.

I'm serious, every stat.

EDIT: Did either of us mention BP at all? You've never heard of Perish Trapping?

I think a set like this would work:
Smeargle@Focus Sash/White Herb
Inconsistent
252HP/4Def/252Spe Jolly
Spore
Baton Pass
Protect
Shell Break/Gear Change

Similar to Ninjask, let the ability do the work. Kinda fails if you can't get speed. Pass to something with a White Herb to get rid of all Inconsistent and Shell Break drops.

Mean Look+Perish Song is learned by many though... In fact, every fully evolved one has higher stats in every aspect.
The difference: Spider Web prevents the foe from switching out, even if you do. So it is a guaranteed KO, especially with Spore.

Of course, it could easily be countered by defeating Smeargle before it gets the chance to use Perish Song.

EDIT: It's just a Mean Look Clone...

The difference: Spider Web prevents the foe from switching out, even if you do. So it is a guaranteed KO, especially with Spore.

Of course, it could easily be countered by defeating Smeargle before it gets the chance to use Perish Song.
"The target cannot switch out. The effect is lost when the user switches. Spider Web ignores all accuracy and evasion modifiers. Cannot prevent the target from escaping with Baton Pass, U-turn, or the item Shed Shell. "

Unless this changed in Gen 5, then you're wrong. I doubt it changed too. It would be a very game breaking move if it did.

Inconsistent
252HP/4Def/252Spe Jolly
Spore
Baton Pass
Protect
Shell Break/Gear Change

Similar to Ninjask, let the ability do the work. Kinda fails if you can't get speed. Pass to something with a White Herb to get rid of all Inconsistent and Shell Break drops.
Oh, god. I had a Smeargle pass +3 evasion to an SD Garchomp, and fuck, it swept my team full of Garchomp checks, among them Scarflatios and Mamoswine.

It was amazing.

Wait, what? Your Smeargle passed to a Garchomp that swept your team full of Garchomp checks? Either that's a mistake or an epic, epic fail.

I have tried it, and it has been a success, almost. I have been passing to a Lucario. It often dies on the switch. Also, oddly, White Herb is not activating upon passing the drops on PO.

Smeargle is still a great Bper, but with all the fast new powerful threats running around (Shanderaa, Doryuzuu, Ononokusu, and Sazandora To name a few), his marshmallow defences might not cut it this time round. Focus sash Spore anyone?

What of Lovely Kiss considering the Herbivore guys running around? Or Dark Void in Singles?

Set to Level One, Focus Sash:
-Endeavor
-Pain Split
-Destiny Bond
-ExtremeSpeed
Yuniran is probably better at running Lv.1 Endeavor since it has Magic Guard and can set up Trick Room to help it get the Endeavor off and allow something else to come in and sweep.

I've had great fun using an Inconsistent Focus Sash set with Spore, TWave, Protect, and Baton Pass. Depending on the stat changes I typically pass to either a Garchomp or a Simple Kokoromori. Obviously it's a total gamble and I personally can barely battle competently anyway, but sweeping teams with an evasion-boosted bat is entertaining when it works.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Wait, what? Your Smeargle passed to a Garchomp that swept your team full of Garchomp checks? Either that's a mistake or an epic, epic fail.

I have tried it, and it has been a success, almost. I have been passing to a Lucario. It often dies on the switch. Also, oddly, White Herb is not activating upon passing the drops on PO.
"I had someone using a Smeargle against me, which passed +3 evasion to a SD Garchomp"...

And yeah, White Herb should activate on the receiver pokémon. Shell Break Gorebyss YEAH

Here is another great and unique set, which can be deadly on an offensive team built around it, especially with Wifi rules (when you can see the opponent's team) :

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Own tempo, Jolly
252 Hp/ 252 Spe /4 Def
Spore
Trick
U-Turn
Lunar Dance

1 : Look at your opponent's team.
2 : Spore / U-Turn against MH users or if your opponent has Espeon / Herbivores.
3 : If facing a stall team, Trick your Scarf on the wall of your choice, but keep it otherwise.
4 : Lure and kill [powerhouse]'s first check(s).
5 : Threaten to sweep in order to weaken [powerhouse]'s remaining check.
6 : Lunar Dance (now brings your fully healed pokemon safely at the end of the turn).
7 : Sweep.

Although it may seem gimmicky at first, Lunar Dance should not be underestimated : countering twice the same powerhouse isn't something many teams can boast, especially when the don't expect it. Any sweeper that can weaken most of its counters works, and Specs Latios gets a special mention as it is a nightmare to handle twice without Blissey.

Mountain Storm/Ice Breath, boosted by Technician, could be really awesome. For one thing, it has an effective base power of 120 and ignores the foe's Def. (for the former) and Sp. Def (for the latter) boosts like Calm Mind.

Especially the latter because it has no immunities barring Shedinja, and hits Flying-types and Dragon-types super effectively. (Of course, it's not like it's going to be surviving the latter's attacks...)

Problem with the latter, though, is that Smeargle has crap Sp. Attack, except maybe after a Tail Glow or two, which Smeargle can have.

Don't even bother with any attacks. With base attack stats of 20, he's not harming anything, even with SE 150 BP moves. Trust me I've done the calcs.

Inconsistent
252HP/4Def/252Spe Jolly
Spore
Baton Pass
Protect
Shell Break/Gear Change

I was actually wondering about using White Herb and Recycle. Similar to this in nature even if the moves are a bit different something more like:
-Spider Web/Mean Look
-Spore
-Recycle
-Baton Pass

It would be NASTY against leads that don't hit too hard or are slowish.

I was actually wondering about using White Herb and Recycle. Similar to this in nature even if the moves are a bit different something more like:
-Spider Web/Mean Look
-Spore
-Recycle
-Baton Pass

It would be NASTY against leads that don't hit too hard or are slowish.
I read on Spider Web and Mean Look on Bulbapedia and they said that if you switch with Baton Pass, the opponent won't be trapped. In other words, SW and ML can't be Baton Passed anymore.
Why would you use White Herb and Recycle when you have no boosting move on that set to make use of it?
I'd change the set for something like this:
-Shell Break/Curse
-Spore
-Recycle
-Baton Pass
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: White Herb
Ability: Own Tempo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)