Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

EV berries are DW-only, I believe.
Yeah, I've heard that too...But I think a few pages back someone mentioned a guy that they didn't know the location of...VERY vague, but still, worth searching for I suppose! :D

Anyway, I'm REALLY liking the Battle Subway :D I like the setup and how it shakes and moves XD

^You can easily EV train in-game in BW. The game loads you with Attack and Speed EVs, while there are very few HP (Munna, Audino, Palpitoad, Throh, Ducklett, Foongus, Alomomola, Stunfisk), fewer defense (Roggenrola, Boldore, Yamask and some Bug-/ Steel-types) and even less sp. defense ones (Gothita, Flilish, Cryogonal). This means you can comfortably beat the game with only few unwanted EVs for your physical attackers. The game also gives enough Sp. atk EVs for one special attacker (Oshawoot, Vanillite, Litwick, Heatmor, Liligant and most Psychic-types)

Yeah, I've heard that too...But I think I a few pages back someone mentioned a guy that they didn't know the location of...VERY vague, but still, worth searching for I suppose! :D

Anyway, I'm REALLY liking the Battle Subway :D I like the setup and how it shakes and moves XD
The Battle Subway freaks me out O.O Steelix vs Gyarados in a subway? That just CANT be good.

Kyurem is being a dick. I mean, I should have expected dickiness from such a dick-like pokemon, but who the hell puts endeavor on something with a catch rate of 3? Ugh, what a nightmare. Haven't caught a good one in almost a full day of trying even with synchronizing.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Kyurem is being a dick. I mean, I should have expected dickiness from such a dick-like pokemon, but who the hell puts endeavor on something with a catch rate of 3? Ugh, what a nightmare. Haven't caught a good one in almost a full day of trying even with synchronizing.
Fortunately, it only has 5 PP of Endeavor, so you just need to carry a few extra Hyper Potions or whatever.

So, what is the general consensus on Black Vs. White... Which is the "better" of the two (Black City or White Forest)? I could go either way with the exclusive Pokemon, but if Black City really sucks then I'd rather not get Black...

Urgh, I'm having the same trouble with Volcarona, who just sets up in my face, and batters me. WHO GOES 6 TURNS IN A ROW WITHOUT PARAHAX?! And I can't get more than one shake on it, despite it being in the red, and paralysed :(

EDIT: And using Dusk and Net Balls.

wow i must be the luckiest person ever cause i caught it with 2 netballs while it was in the red. no status eitehr. but then it was female and i already had a female volcarona so i soft resetted for a male and got a timid one with hidden power rock and also caught it with my second net ball :D .

Urgh, I'm having the same trouble with Volcarona, who just sets up in my face, and batters me. WHO GOES 6 TURNS IN A ROW WITHOUT PARAHAX?! And I can't get more than one shake on it, despite it being in the red, and paralysed :(

EDIT: And using Dusk and Net Balls.
Hmmm does Volcarona even qualify for Dusk Ball? Its battle location doesn't seem TOO dark so I'm not sure.

Keep chucking Net Balls at it.I threw 3 Ultra Balls and got it. I read an FAQ and it says it WILL set up and sweep you if you don't catch it so just be prepared to reset over and over.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know that you have thunderbolt rather than thunder because of the ability.
I think gastro acid is actually a good idea but slash? My usual strategy is to thunder enemies and if they don't die finish them off with charge beam for the boost. Signal beam beats Psychics and darks and volt switch to set up someone for a kill.
As a rule of thumb, I don't have two moves of the same type on my team (Even though Cofagrigus has...), Slash is mainly a filler move, but in some occasions...Gastro Acid, I seldom use.
Why do you have uproar? Uproar is a locking
move. I personally don't think Taunt has a use against the AI. If you have a heart scale knocking around learn icicle spear BP 25 can hit up to 5 times and is physical. Vanilluxe doesn't have poor attack.
Uproar is there for a lack of better move to use, I hardly use it anyway. Taunt has some uses, for example, against an opponent that likes to spam a recovery move of some sort. And yes, my Vanilluxe's attack for the record, is higher than its Special Attack...I like the Icicle Spear Idea though.

Hmmm does Volcarona even qualify for Dusk Ball? Its battle location doesn't seem TOO dark so I'm not sure.

Keep chucking Net Balls at it.I threw 3 Ultra Balls and got it. I read an FAQ and it says it WILL set up and sweep you if you don't catch it so just be prepared to reset over and over.
It's in a cave (well, castle), I thought it would. At least it can't outspeed me. Thank God for Prankster Thunder Wave.

I just started the game yesterday and have two badges, so I'll try to be brief to shield myself from the spoilers, LOL.

Well the main thing I'm liking at this point is how much more balanced it seems to be compared to previous Pokemon games. In the first 3-4 routes and towns and whatnot, there's a much wider variety than the usual Normal/Bug/Flying-type collections we get in the other games... instead, we have Pokemon of the Electric, Psychic, Dark, Water, Grass, Bug, Rock, and Flying all available quite early compared to other games, which allows for balanced teambuilding very early.

And in terms of performance, they're very balanced too. Pokemon that you pick up at the beginning (which I personally would normally just throw into the box in any other Pokemon game on account of how weak and/or useless they are for the majority of the time) remain useful for a good stretch of time afterward (the only exception I've seen so far being Pidove, and possibly Roggenrola, who doesn't learn Rock Blast for a while).

Plus the fact that battles go so much quicker is really nice too. I have to say, thus far I'm pretty impressed.

Mienfoo was one of my MVPs. I caught him right before the Ice Gym (make sure it has Regenerator!), and he actually solo'd the whole thing, even the leader. He went from 33 to 40 (I think), and I made sure to evolve him before the E4. The grinding wasn't much, just 2 or 3 levels. His final moveset for me was HJK, Drain Punch, U-Turn, Acrobatics.

What's a good mon to look out for if I have a team of Pignite, Simisage, Sawk, and Tirtouga. I'm getting ready to cross the Drawbridge on the way to the 5th Gym.

There's no point in mienfoo when you can catch timburr like 6 gyms earlier. Gurdurr > Mienfoo, and if you have a way to get conkeldurr it's basically gg.

ToastTyrant, you really need a Sandile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)