Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
There really isn't a way to tell if a 5th Gen mon is hacked right now. Either RNG it yourself, or get it from somebody you seriously trust.

I couldn't even imagine ever using a pokemon at the VGCs if I didn't personally know the originator.

I was wondering if we could use pokemon from other regions received in trade. I bought the Japanese version of Black, and have the N.American White version (I live in US by the way). It wasn't stated that we couldn't, but I just want to make sure. C:

I was wondering if we could use pokemon from other regions received in trade. I bought the Japanese version of Black, and have the N.American White version (I live in US by the way). It wasn't stated that we couldn't, but I just want to make sure. C:
Yes. Mattj's Rayquaza is from a Japanese game, yet I used it at VGC 2010 (THANKS MATTJ!).

The cartridge has to be NTSC (USA) - the pokemon on said cartridge can be from anywhere.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What is a good iv spread for hp ice that has a 31 speed iv? Thanks.....
31/30/30/31/31/31, 30/31/30/31/31/31, or 30/30/30/31/31/31. Obviously the first two are better, but at level 50, there's a chance it'll round up anyway, so if it does, you should just go for whichever one you can get most easily.

Can someone give me some good EV spreads for these Pokemon to avoid important KOs?
Virizion (Needs 252 in Speed)
Musharna (I want it mixed in bulk but mostly physical)

Thank you!! :)

Was considering trying to use a Gravity team. Are there any Unova Pokemon that can lay down Gravity effectively?

Also, how effective would such a strategy be?

i just recieved a thundurus with 31 iv's in all stats and 30 in speed giving me a hp ice of a bp of 70. how can i determine if this is hacked or not.
There's no reason not to use it. Their hack checking is literally seeing if you have illegal moves or extra EV points. It's possible to RNG perfect spreads now anyway so they can't do anything.

Was considering trying to use a Gravity team. Are there any Unova Pokemon that can lay down Gravity effectively?

Also, how effective would such a strategy be?
Your best bets would be Sigilyph and Gigalith. Sigilyph can then use a more accurate Hypnosis, but loses immunity to EQ. Gigalith is much more bulky and can take a few hits.

I've tried the strategy a few times, but it doesn't fit my style. I've used it with Dynamic Punch Conkeldurr and Zap Cannon Eelectross. Fun, but not consistant. Most of my teams require Gravity and Trick Room to be effective. It's hard to do both.

Your best bets would be Sigilyph and Gigalith. Sigilyph can then use a more accurate Hypnosis, but loses immunity to EQ. Gigalith is much more bulky and can take a few hits.

I've tried the strategy a few times, but it doesn't fit my style. I've used it with Dynamic Punch Conkeldurr and Zap Cannon Eelectross. Fun, but not consistant. Most of my teams require Gravity and Trick Room to be effective. It's hard to do both.
Thanks. It looks like Ferrothorn can get the move by breeding. Is there any merit to the idea of using Ferrothorn? With Iron Barbs/Rough Helmet, he'd make Fake Out extremely unattractive, and can ward off most other priority. He'd also be rocking a perfect accuracy Power Whip, and could lay down spikes that would hit everything. (EDIT: Scratch that about Spikes —*it's not compatible with Gravity)

Also, more of a mechanics question, but in Gravity, would a Musharna with the DW ability that lets it dodge teammates' attacks be hit by Earthquake?

I was thinking about Ferrothorn, but he dies a most horrible death against one of the most common pokemon in VGC - Chandelure. You are also still sutck with the same, Gravity + Trick Room issues.

I forget, is the entirety of the local regionals Single Elimination?

my friend just recieved a cloned tornadus. im telling him those machines at vgc can detect cloned pkmn. is this true?
This was not the case at VGC '09 and '10, as far as I am aware. You(r friend) should be able to rest easy ^^

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
my friend just recieved a cloned tornadus. im telling him those machines at vgc can detect cloned pkmn. is this true?
Also, the rules explicitly prohibit using an external device to modify the party. From a strict reading, cloned Pokémon are legal even if they can detect them (assuming they were initially obtained legitimately), but I don't know if they'd accept that interpretation at the event, since it's ultimately up to the judge's discretion.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Besides the Smogon tournaments, where can I test myVGC team? Has the VGC tier been changed to match this years rules?
It has been, and the largest group of VGC players is probably in the Skarmbliss VGC Server, as most everyone there plays it.

So I'm planning a Trick Room team... how effective do you guys think it could be?
I'm thinking something like: Amoonguss, Musharna, Bouffalant, and Escavalier

So I'm planning a Trick Room team... how effective do you guys think it could be?
I'm thinking something like: Amoonguss, Musharna, Bouffalant, and Escavalier
Instead of Musharna, use Jellicent. Jellicent threatens a powerful Water Spout if not double targeted, and Amoonguss should never be left alive, so they would want to double target it. This could cause some interesting things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)