CAP1 - Part 14.5 - (Pre-Evo Sprite Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, that was a little harsh
but I don't mind, any criticism will help with making the sprites better

Anyways I made the arm smaller. While working with the suggestion of raising the left arm from Ice I didn't bother to shift up the bottom edge of the arm. I didn't think anyone would notice (my bad). Fixed the fingers.

@Rising Dusk I'm not sure what you meant when you said to fix the eyes. They looked fine to me. Besides, pre-evo is supposed to have big eyes with big irises. Anyways just to be safe I made the smaller.

The sprite on the right has no tooth sticking out of it's mouth. Do you guys think it looks better with or without the tooth?

C&C please

p.s. check out my black shiny on the previous page and tell me what you think

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I appreciate the suggestions guys but I am not gonna be making my sprite smaller at this point, I've already put enough hours in and I don't have to patience to redo it again. Also I don't think it's fundamentally a different size than Steampowered's, the body is basically the same size, my sprite's hair is just way more huge :)

Also not sure what I'm gonna do about the eyes. I gave him beady eyes in the artwork, and it's cool if you guys deviate from it but I feel kinda committed to keep to what I originally intended. They are hard to do in pixel space, but I'll work it out somehow. I'll find a few more reference sprites and figure out how it's done.

Speaking of eyes, Steampowered, I feel like the eyes in yours aren't blending right with the face, try looking at some pokemon sprites zoomed in to see what I mean - there are usually at least a few shadow-coloured pixels around the eyes. Using other sprites as reference applies for the rest of your sprite too - for example, it looks like you are using a black outline for the entire sprite. (I am a noob spriter so if I said anything wrong please correct me!)

@paintseagull the funny thing is that I have been trying to stay away from black outlines and my sprites have no pure blacks in them whatsoever

I didn't know about the eye thing though so I did that for this post

plz tell me if the tooth is better or worse

C&C

Attract: Now we're talkin'!
You can move on to Steam's advice. And mine :naughty:
1. Black outlines pop up at the wrong places. It's on the mohawk, all around the belly and even on the fur around the head and armpits, yet places like the feet don't have enough of it. It doesn't look vibrant enough like a Gen 5 sprite should. Try referencing stuff such as...I dunno, Gible? I really suck at C+C DX
A few things, firstly I really like your sprite but it needs some more shading and shadows
Yeahh. I dunno if it's because of the black outline, but the sprite does seem like it lacks shading, especially around the belly. An extra note: The belly's shading is in an odd direction. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Steam: Ok, everything I told you to correct is good now, except for the feet claws o_0 - follow paint's, as in her sprite's foot on the right.
Also, I think you don't need the fang. On an extra note the mouth looks like it's smirking the wrong way, just flip it the other way and I think it'll do.
As for outline, your sprite actually looks good without it, but you have to add it. Like at least at the feet.
RD's advice all shot you at the right places, but don't panic, those are hard mistakes to realise in a day or two, you need to look at more sprites to know them.

Paint: Ok screw the size and stuff, maybe just fatten the cheeks, it'll look much better, I swear.

O.K. so I think this is far better

I think I'm getting close to bring finished soon

All that's left to do is shinnies (the black ones probably) and the male female split which should be easy considering all it is is a change in the eyes

thanks to everyone who's given me feedback

Thanks RD xD Ever since you brought up the eyes with ICC's sprite I've been trying to get it right. Such a relief now, ahaha!

Ok, i'll be adding more shadow and fixing the outline, THANK YOU ICC AND STEAM! :D I didn't even notice that till now..
Expect an update "today" C:

paintseagull

pink wingull
Starting to look a lot better Steam. The head especially looks great. I hope you don't mind, I have a few extra nitpicks.. up to you if you want to follow up with them:
- the thumb on his left (our right) hand is superimposed on his tail. when you are composing a drawing it's important for two distinct lines to not overlap or join up or form an angle because that confuses the drawing. You can fix this by moving his tail closer to his body, it's a bit long anyway.
- the thumb on his right (our left) hand is a bit large compared to the fingers on his left hand and too far away from his fingers.
- the white part of his chest is a bit off - the angles are harsh and you didn't continue the white down his chest towards his stomach. It looks a bit like he is wearing and off-centered bib. I'm sorry for making this part of the design so confusing and difficult to sprite!

@paintseagull I always listen to anyones advice even if the advice is just nitpicks. Any input can help me improve.

Anyways, here's the update

The front sprite is almost done. I changed the thumb and added the white spot on the stomach. I thought that the tail was in a good position already so I just darkened the outline on the fingers to make it more distinguishable.

Everyone seems to like the backsprite so that's pretty much set in stone.

Other then that, if no one else can find anything else for me to change on the frontsprite it will be my final, then I can do my shinnies. I can either do a black body or a blue one like Ice and Darth Vader

C&C please Thanks for all the help everyone

I always listen to anyones advice even if the advice is just nitpicks. Any input can help me improve.
That is...a very respectable spirit. My respect for you has just d̶o̶u̶b̶l̶e̶d̶ tripled. Kudos! Make sure you keep that spirit until you die.

ANYWAY
Front Sprite: When you first started, I'll be honest, it did look pretty...bad (sorry I'm harsh). But because you listen, you're really improving. Right now, it's really, really good. My last and only few crits for it:
1. It is in dire need of black outline. Just put it where you think light from the top-left wouldn't shine on at all, like the bottom of the belly and especially the feet.
2. The eye on the left needs to be lower by a pixel, or two, whichever you think is better.

Back Sprite: Haha, not so fast.
1. The mohawk needs to be longer.
2. The leg on our right needs to be more fat and solid like the front sprite's.
3. The leg on our left needs to have a flat bottom line, like you did before with the front sprite's other leg.

And that's it! As for the s̶h̶i̶n̶n̶i̶e̶s̶ shinies, I would prefer you do both black and DV's blue, and then we can judge them together.

Good job and toodles!

almost there

O.K. so @Ice I did the outline and lowered the eye. For the backsprite I changed the feet, made the mowhawk longer and did some black outline stuff.

I have the blue and black sprites up now, so tell me which one looks better.

by the way @Ice I looked at my first sprite and my sprites now, the fist ones are pretty bad O_o

Most Pokemon's pre-evolutions don't mimic their evolutions when it comes to shiny colors. I think you guys should definitely not mimic each other's sprites either, since that gives the voters less variety!

OMG shiny

I have noticed that every shiny so far in this submission has changed only the brown feather colours. But while playing around with colours I got this.

just to add those to the long list of shinnies I already have.

Tell me which one you think looks the best.

Here are the options: (yellow and blue), (yellow and black), (purple and blue), (purple and purple)

I personally like (yellow and black) and (purple and blue)

I have noticed that every shiny so far in this submission has changed only the brown feather colours. But while playing around with colours I got this.

just to add those to the long list of shinnies I already have.

Tell me which one you think looks the best.

Here are the options: (yellow and blue), (yellow and black), (purple and blue), (purple and purple)

I personally like (yellow and black) and (purple and blue)
I think I like yellow and blue the most, the yellow and black one gets a too high contrast between black and white, and purple just look weird to me.

hey guys, there are a few reasons why I'd prefer not to do the blue and yellow

1.Ice has already done it and like Rising Dusk said, we shouldn't make the sprites to similar.
2.Evos and pre-evos offten have different shinnies from one another. I don't want to make Scratchet's shinnies to close to Tomohawks.
3.The blue seems far to bright in comparison to the yellow.

If you guys really want me to, I will do the yellow and blue but it is not my first choice.

paintseagull

pink wingull
Minor update!

Changed claws, (his) right arm angle, eyes, some outline colours.
Wish I could include some shiny colours in this update but I gotta go now! So, tomorrow I hope I will get to that and the back sprite.

Also, Steam.. purple scratchet !!! I like purple haha. It makes me happy. But maybe not the best for this guy, at least not to replace his yellow. Go nuts though, a lot of the Gen 5 shinies have CRAZY horrible colours. In your blue/black shinies you can change the yellow to add some interest/uniqueness to those options.

@Steam: I completely love the purple ones as compared to other shinies! Out of the two presented I think I like the purple/purple one better, but to be honest I suggest either changing the skin tone or the feathers of those shinies. The purple looks really cool but blue/purple and purple/purple color combinations just arn't perfect yet. Maybe purple and grey, red, white, or black would look right?
I choose these colors because they avoid yellow/orange (the original sprite's color) and they don't contain blue in their composition. anything bluish/purple just won't look right.

Steam: Ok, because changing the skin tone itself isn't to my liking, I'll make a balance and suggest...purple/yellow!

Paint: Yours is near perfection, there's just one last thing...Fatten. The. Cheeks. I've been suggesting this since the start T_T

Final Submission

Final Submission

Awesome work everyone! Looking at the first two pages I thought it was gonna be just me and ICC doing this, but I'm glad people have joined us haha xD

Here we go!:

Thanks to everyone for their input :D

Reasoning:

Well, when I saw that paint's cuuuuute! prevo abilities were Scrappy/Prankster, I knew I wanted it to look fierce. I made its pose like a lunge and made its fingers more like claws that would mimic the Scrappy ability, which also coincided nicely with it being named Scratchet :D The smirk/grin I put on it is supposed to represent Prankster. I tried to retain cuteness with the eyes and egg-shaped body while still having the awkward Shinx-knows-intimidate? factor. The shiny colours I thought would work well the primary Normal typing. Grey is boring = normal is boring. I also brightened up the skin colour because ICC said it looked gloomy, which isn't what I was going for xD

And for gender differences. Although I suppose they add personality, I don't think Scratchet needs to have gender differences. Looking at the history of gender differences, the area that is different in the final evolution is almost always where the difference comes from in the preevo. Whenever it comes to fangs, spots, or hair, the entire evolutionary line follow the same gender differences unless there is a drastic difference in looks, which happens on our CaP. Tomohawks GD's are on the eyes of its hood, which don't even appear on Scratchet.
All evolutionary lines where the final evo is the only one that has a gender difference is because the area didn't exist on the preevo (with the exception of Abomasnow and Toxicroak), which is what is exactly happening here. Just look at Venusaur, Houndoom, Donphan, Cacturn, Steelix, Tangrowth, Octillery! Because of this I didn't include gender differences. Hope you enjoy it!

Oh my GOD Attract are you kidding me. I thought your sprites were good enough but then your reasoning is perfect. Now I look like a very unknowledgeable spriter in comparison.

...I think I just lost

Rising_Dusk if you're somewhere out there: Am I allowed to edit my Final Submission post to put in extra reasoning? I suppose not but hey, it's worth a shot.
EDIT: Ok, thanks. Corrected some stuff, but not adding too much. Attract has got the best reasoning around and I'm not going to snatch that title off for myself too.
EDIT: Gaah, still did it. You guys have good reasoning, too good for me to look good at all.

Uh, yes, of course; calm down dude, lol. You can continue to edit your final submission post until the deadline, just don't repost a new final submission is all. Also, Attract, make sure in your final submission you bold the words "Final Submission"! Otherwise it won't count.

Hey steampowered, i'm not sure if anyone else has said this but Scratchet's 'beard' or chest hair or whatever seems to jagged to be natural if you have a look at this part of the art and ICC, Attract or Paintseagull's sprites they seem more true to the look of the 'beard' sooooooooo yeah... good luck all! :)

Super sprites

well this is a big post

I took everyone's advice

Ice yours are the ones with purple and yellow, they turned out pretty well

Rafiki yours is the red (well pink) and purple one. I had to make it pink because all the red was to saturated. I tried an inverse one like the one I did for Ice but it didn't look good

right now I'm considering all of these with the exception of #1(yellow/blue) #5(yellow/purple inverse, though it is kind of cool) and #7(yellow/black)

Well Steam, the ones you crossed out are just about right, while Gen V pokemon do have over-wacky shinies, they're just not appealing. So...
For the sake of originality
2. I say it's workable. After all it's my old shiny color for my Tomohawk sprites! :naughty:
While it looks lovely, it's kind of monochrome to me. Let's see what other people say.
4. ...I can't say for this, since it was my suggestion. Someone else comment please :|
It looks pretty sick.
6. Well, it sort of works. It's a drastic change of color from the original, which would be rather illogical when it turns into shiny Tomo. But let's see other comments first.
While it's pretty funny, it's more like a joke 'for t3h lulz' than anything.
For me it's 2, 4, 6, but some might support 3 - let's see how.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Woah, shiny colors.

I have to say the 4th one is my favorite. I think the purple looks really cute on it. Also, I personally think it looks best keeping the original yellow fur. I think the 2nd one is my next favorite. Though if you do go with that I think it would be better if you change the eyebrow color. I don't think that blue goes too well with the black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)