Data Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (ASB Version)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The title says it all.
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. This is already in the Smogon and Stark forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
Additional guidelines:
1. The CAP ASB Guide is the standard walkthrough for the forum and should be read first, and contains all relevant links.
2. The Data Audit Thread is your best friend for finding out about mechanics.
3. Registration Tower's OP
4. Team Creation Guide
5. Battle Tower OP
6. Veekun - use it, love it. Good for finding in-depth mechanics of moves such as Substitute and Taunt.

Frequently Asked Questions
will be added here once they are frequently asked :D

Not everyone has IRC, or for that matter can be bothered to use Mibbit. Additionally, it can be a bit confusing for non-regulars to navigate the data pages.

Might as well have this thread.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DarkSlay and co weren't really maintaining the Dojo. This is good enough as it is.

Woot! First question, but sorry that it sounds dumb in the long run. I can't find it anywhere, but how are HC used? Also, what about BP?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Woot! First question, but sorry that it sounds dumb in the long run. I can't find it anywhere, but how are HC used? Also, what about BP?
Hall Counters are essentially KO Counters which you can use on the Pokemon that got them, claim in the regular Prize Claim Thread. BP, on the other hand, can only be used in the Battle Subway Claim's Thread. These are used to buy Items that you can only buy from the Battle Subway.

Yay! First Person To Answer a Question!

Hall Counters are essentially KO Counters which you can use on the Pokemon that got them, claim in the regular Prize Claim Thread. BP, on the other hand, can only be used in the Battle Subway Claim's Thread. These are used to buy Items that you can only buy from the Battle Subway.

Yay! First Person To Answer a Question!
Ahh. Thanks! :toast:

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
DarkSlay and co weren't really maintaining the Dojo. This is good enough as it is.
Well, it slowly turned into a basic SQSA thread because there really weren't enough questions after the initial rush.

I do think this is also fairly irrelevant, since the answer to almost every question can be found by either reading the Data Audit Thread or is completely up to ref discretion. It really can't hurt to have one of these threads, though (just don't get lazy!)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay thanks to whoever stickied this (Deck Knight, I assume)
And yeah, about the people who are going "just go on IRC or look up in other resources" well that goes for just about all of the other SQSA threads. Besides, a subforum doesn't seem complete without one :3

Besides, if anything, the OP should tell people "check these references" i. e. data audit thread

Actually, that's a lie; all non-immune attacks will do AT LEAST 1 DMG.

Also, treat Mud Slap's drop like Bulk Up's boosts.

Thanks Terrador & Smash, i was kind of unsure since i don't remember where i saw that the min dmg was 3, so i wanted to make sure :3

Personally, I think if an attack is sufficiently protected against (eg, Aqua Jet from rank 2 attack vs rank 4 defence with a reflect set up), then the damage should be nullified completely.

On a different note, is there any official way of handling decimal damage? For the most part, refs round, but I've seen some always round a .5 up (as per normal rounding rules) and some alternate .5 between rounding up and rounding down (which is a bit more accurate regarding total damage). I even once had a ref who didn't round at all and I personally support this and have adopted this for my reffings (except for battle hall reffings).

Personally, I think if an attack is sufficiently protected against (eg, Aqua Jet from rank 2 attack vs rank 4 defence with a reflect set up), then the damage should be nullified completely.
Consider that even a level 1 shuckle will do 1 damage to eviolite chansey using Hidden Power Grass with a power of 2, that should really do incredibly low inexistent damage, but still does 1 damage, this being ASB it makes more sense that every attack would do at least 1 damage

On .5, i do it up, but that's why i saw everyone doing it when I started, altough i agree that doing it +1-1 is more accurate, but i would say ref disscretion, there's not a lot lf diference most of the time (altough i've reffed some battles were 1 or 2 extra hp change a survive on a death and vise versa)

0 definitely should be the minimum damage in ASB, not 1. You need to remember that in-game, 1 HP minimum damage when compared to the max HP on a Pokemon of 404 (base 100's +252 EVs) is only 0.25% of their HP dealt in damage to them. Percent-wise, that doesn't even register on the HP bar. In ASB, 1/100 is 1%, which is 4x larger and can make a sizable difference. An attack should be nullified completely in ASB with appropriate protection.

Of course, since this is not yet codified anywhere, it is currently up to referee discretion.

How easy is it to get into this ASB stuff? It looks like a lot of fun, but it looks so deep and involved that I might not be able to keep up.

Also, if I join ASB, is there somewhere where I can use my new 1st form weaklings without fighting against the equivalent of Ash's Charizard?

In the battle tower, you can issue a special kind of challenge called a beginner battle, which basically limits both players to using weaker pokemon.

How easy is it to get into this ASB stuff? It looks like a lot of fun, but it looks so deep and involved that I might not be able to keep up.

Also, if I join ASB, is there somewhere where I can use my new 1st form weaklings without fighting against the equivalent of Ash's Charizard?
Just like Objection said you can ask to battle week pokemons until yours have enough experience to evolve and fight against bigger pokes, it's fun, and there's a lot of people willing to fight a fair game

Note that beginner battles only prevent opponents from bringing strong Pokemon to the fight-they do not prevent veteran players from bringing weak Pokemon and strong experience to the table.

I know I've done one to help train a Snorunt and a Monohm in my possession.

If your worried about an experienced playing taking your challenge, you could always challenge someone else that just joined. I did that for my first few matches when i joined and it helped a bit. Also all the information might seem a bit overwhelming, but a lot of it is just copy and paste stuff that is just the in game info with very minor revamps here and there. Once you actually dive into it its nowhere near as intimidating as it appears.

Besides, if you need to learn a little about what's "hip," you could always get on IRC. Mibbit is a free online IRC client that a lot of us use.

We're on the synIRC server, on channel #capasb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)