1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Data Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (ASB Version)

Discussion in 'Network Center' started by Woodchuck, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dummy007

Dummy007

In the SotG thread, it says that one free nature change is allowed due to changing Speed mechanics. Does that apply to every Pokemon, regardless of nature, or does the nature change have to involve a +/-Speed nature in some way? (I ask this because I'd like to switch my Volcarona from Rash to Modest, and neither of those involves a Speed-changing nature.)

@Metal Bagon: I once reffed a 3 vs 3 Singles match that was 3 pages long, but the smashlloyd20 vs. jas61292 and Solstice vs. Rickheg matches from Round 1 of the tournament were 2 vs 2 Singles, 3 pages.
  2. Blazikenmaster-Zeo

Blazikenmaster-Zeo

No it doesn't need to be a Speed nature change.
  3. LouisCyphre

LouisCyphre heralds disaster.

Is it possible to set up a move substitution based on an HP threshold? Ergo, "if your HP falls below X, replace your action with Tailwind"?

Additionally, is it possible to Toxic yourself to activate abilities?
  4. Its_A_Random

Its_A_Random Solves issues recursively
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

If you're talking in number of days, then it's Tortferngatr vs. Plusle, over 80 days in length, followed by my battle with Deck, at ~78 Days...

@LouisCyphre: Yes, under the Chance Substitution Rules.
  5. Objection

Objection

Yes. However, if you use it to activate Poison Heal, it counts as a recovery move (so in 2 recovers/5 chills matches, this would use 1 recover and you'd have 1 left).
  6. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Wait. So after its initial use, it fails on the pokemon? Or does it work until the defender flinches? Say Pokemon A used Fake Out on Pokemon B, who uses Protect. Pokemon A uses Fake Out again on the same pokemon. Does it fail or not? I know it fails in-game, but ASB Fake Out mechanics work a bit different.
  7. Metal Bagon

Metal Bagon

Yes it can be used twice in row, but will not cause the pokemon to flinch, unlike in the games were it fails if not used first turn in battle.
  8. Objection

Objection

If a pokemon is paralysed and eventually reaches 0% paralysis, does its speed return to normal or does it remain at 25% speed?
  9. DFrog

DFrog

Does the boost from expert belt occur before or after a move is used and does it stack with abilities such as sheer force?
  10. Objection

Objection

From what I understand, Expert Belt boost is calculated before weakness and resistance and so it does stack with abilities like Sheer Force.
  11. Ragnarokalex

Ragnarokalex

yea as soon as a paralyzed pokemon hits 0% paralysis its speed returns to normal
  12. Flamestrike

Flamestrike

I'm late to add to the Fake Out discussion, but I'm pretty sure if Fake Out fails to flinch on its first use it can still flinch; I believe it only no longer causes a flinch once it's already caused a flinch.
  13. Gerard

Gerard

Actually... Yes! Fake Out will always flinck once and only once the first time it hits, it can even work in two/three different targets as long as it's the first time it's used on them
  14. Arcanite

Arcanite

Do Flash Fire Boosts stack?
  15. Gerard

Gerard

it doesn't do in-game, so i don't think so
  16. LouisCyphre

LouisCyphre heralds disaster.

For further Fake Out fun; could I have my users Fake Out straight across, and then diagonal to get more flinch?

That is; if I had a Toxicroak and a Scrafty against a Plusle and Minun; and Croak FO'd the Plusle and Scrafty FO'd the Minun, could I have them then swap targets the next action to get another flinch? After all, it's the first time Toxicroak will have flinched Minun and Scrafty flinched Plusle! What I'm reading is that each mon can get one flinch on each other mon.
  17. Flamestrike

Flamestrike

I'm leaning towards no, but the possibility is there. Something to ask Deck Knight I guess.
  18. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

No. Fake Out flinches once per mon. After that it will not flinch the same mon again.
  19. Arcanite

Arcanite

Can you crit off a self hit from confusion?
  20. Objection

Objection

I'm pretty sure you couldn't in-game so I don't think you can in ASB. The only things that can change the damage from a self-hit iirc are rank difference (own attack vs own defence) and any stat boosts to those two stats. Oh, and any abilities that nullify self-hit damage or the confusion status.
  21. Gerard

Gerard

Does electric type's chance of paralysis is halved even in moves like Thunder Wave?

And does Crits bypass screens?
  22. Ragnarokalex

Ragnarokalex

yea thunder wave only has a 50% to work on an electric pokemon, also crits dont bypass anything here like they do in game i dont think
  23. Blazikenmaster-Zeo

Blazikenmaster-Zeo

Crits just add 3 damage to your attack. Its part of the formula in the Ref training grounds.
  24. Engineer Pikachu

Engineer Pikachu Good morning, you bastards!
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Crits do bypass screens.
  25. Objection

Objection

In-game, they do. However, I'm sure I heard Deck once say that they don't in ASB.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)