links, links, everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I think including more links in analyses would be pretty useful for newbies/lazy people. Especially in the team options/checks and couners sections.

Using Haxorus as an example, it mentions brick break (or probably low kick now) is mainly for Ferrothorn. that'd be a great spot to link to Ferrothorn's analysis. And later in the checks and counters it mentions Skarmory as the best counter to Haxorus. If I'm not familiar with Skarmory then I pretty much have to go search for its analysis, linking to it would save time and effort and then you could check Skarmory's counters and find a link to Magnezone. Boom, in like 3 clicks i've read a few analyses and built up a potential 3rd of my team (in the few mins spent reading Haxorus/Magnezone seems a solid enough combo).

Now seems a pretty good time to implement this as well, you know, before the black 2 and white 2 changes get put in. you could also implement it gradually, instead of all at once, filling up links when a pokemon gets updated. So i don't really see a reason not to do it.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
agreeing with this, though this was brought up before. wonder if we'll do it now...

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This is actually a planned project and work will begin once we're caught up with the release of BW2 afaik.

If you would like to start working on this, I can detail the plans for it in PM and get you set up working on smaller stuff like Items and Moves until we're ready to do analyses.

I've delayed doing this in order to try and finish the current Moves/Items/Abilities project as well, but save for the Related Moves sections, that is mostly complete. So starting this wouldn't be a bad thing.

EDIT: firecape claims he can make a script to make this project like a million times easier. Will wait to see if he can get it to work or not.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nope I made a script for it ;]

(I'm not that good with scripting so its kinda still a bit manual but you just c/p the analysis/movedescription/whatever into a dialog box and it spits out a version with the links replacing the first mention of the pokemon/move/item)

But yeah slaves will still be needed, there's a lot of analyses................

Awesome ^.^

Does it work for various metagames (such as UU, RU, and past gens)? If so, let me know. I'm always up for slave labor :P

Sounds like a quick way to get a badge. I'm in.

(@OP: Magnezone is often paired with powerful Dragon-type attackers to clear out enemy steel-types in preparation for a sweep in the classic "drag-mag" combo.)

Would be willing to help do this, at least for VGC where some certain sets can be very common, it would be remarkably helpful. Doesn't matter which part of it I would work on though

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Posting out of curiosity to see Oglemi's/firecape's thoughts on also making them link to articles, as can be seen in ADV Celebi's analysis, which links to the Baton Pass guide when mentioning Celebi as a good Baton Passer.

p.s. yeah I'll help later this week if this gets going

well, i wouldn't be able to do anything for a week (got uni and stuff). hit me up with a pm though oglemi

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd also be willing to assist with checking articles and such. Perhaps the links could also preview a small thing when the mouse is over it, like with the attack the damage, pp, effect and effect rate, and an item just what it does. I'm not sure how much extra work that would be but could also save some time too.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Locking this. Thanks to everyone for your help and interest! Hopefully we can get this off the ground; methinks it's a great suggestion. If anyone has something to add, I'd recommend posting it in the topic firecape linked to above. If you really need to make a post in this topic that cannot be posted elsewhere, send me a PM and I can unlock it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)