VGC 2013 Regional Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure BW2 moves won't be allowed, since they can't expect the majority to have access to that within a week.
That's a little bit of a lack of consistency. Does anyone here remember VGC 2009 in Europe? UK Nationals were one week after the release of Platinum, so all of the European Nationals took place on D/P carts. Yet Platinum move tutors were allowed. So if they think that people won't have access to that in a week, that's a lack of consistency.

Yes, I know Europe and the US have different tournament organizers.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
For comparison here's the TCG's ruling on new TCG set releases:

15.3. New Pokémon TCG Releases
Expansion sets are expected to be released on a regular schedule, averaging four new sets per calendar year. Cards from these new releases are made legal for tournament play the day that the set is released for regular retail sale in a rating zone and not before, with the standard exception of Prerelease tournaments.
Source: http://assets7.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2012/pokemon_tournament_rules_11_1_2011.pdf

If the VGC follows this, BW2 stuff is legal in the US the day the game releases in the US.

breh

強いだね
If the VGC follows this, BW2 stuff is legal in the US the day the game releases in the US.
Let's hope this is the case; although I have nothing against VGC 12... to be honest, I really wish I had some sort of impetus to switch around my mons, lol. Plus, there are a few cool things that now exist (Heat Wave Hydreigon, for example) that won't be relevant until two years from now if there are no tutor moves allowed.

(Otherwise, it's hard to deny the coolness of stuff like Electroweb Rotom and Icy Wind Tornadus (which is kind of like a Tailwind but breaks Chomp's Yache / does damage but only lasts for the current mons))

In any case, this gets rid of Landorus-T, which means that Hitmontop isn't getting booted out of its prestigious seat anytime soon.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I mean... For example you have T-Tar in Gen V. You did'nt get a chance to tutor it in Gen IV with Superpower. So we should be allowed to use mons with legal move tutor moves, right?
I'm not entirely certain, but technically they could call it if it came from a Unova location with Superpower if they don't allow BW2 tutors, even if they were legal in Gen IV.

We'll see what it says when the rules are on pokemon.com.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Assume no BW2 moves, tutors, TMs, abilities etc until we actually get TPCi saying otherwise. The PTO in Houston has already said same rules as last year (except for the flying Pikachu) and that didn't include BW2 exclusive releases that were already released in Japan during Worlds. I am not too sure what is hard about this.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I wouldn't touch the BW2 tutors at all, even if it's to teach a move that is legal without BW2. There's no point in risking a DQ for something so small.

You guys have to remember that the majority of B/W2 Move Tutors already existed in Gen IV, so Gen IV and before pokemon don't have to deal with it, and they can be taught by Gen V tutors, as long as the same tutor existed in Gen IV and were able to learn it in Gen IV.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just teach it in the Gen IV game then, to be safe. You don't want to get DQ'd over having it from the BW2 game unless TPCi says that they'll allow BW2 tutor moves to be used.

Just teach it in the Gen IV game then, to be safe. You don't want to get DQ'd over having it from the BW2 game unless TPCi says that they'll allow BW2 tutor moves to be used.
I suppose you're right. They could probably pull up data on almost everything about our pokemon, including the origination of their items, because it says to not use hacked items.

A little upset to have the exact same ruleset as VGC 2012, but that's most likely only for October regionals due to BW2's release date.

i just want my contrary serperior ;__;

Sorry if I sound a little uninformed, but, in a nutshell, does this mean that October Regionals will have the current rules, but the Spring Regionals could possibly have different ones (perhaps in line with Nationals)?

breh

強いだね
Conversely, if you want, an easier option would be to just make the mon in gen 4 and then do whatever you want with it. For example, any gen 4 Larvitar can be leveled / eved in a 5th gen game, transferred to BW2, and tutored there.

Sorry if I sound a little uninformed, but, in a nutshell, does this mean that October Regionals will have the current rules, but the Spring Regionals could possibly have different ones (perhaps in line with Nationals)?
Yes, we will most likely be switching rules between Fall Regionals and Spring Regionals to accommodate BW2.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know of at least one instance of someone getting DQed for tutoring his Zapdos Heat Wave in BW2 for nationals. Don't be stupid/lazy and tutor it in BW2 when it gets it in Gen IV, unless you like being unable to participate.

(this is based on the likely accurate assumption that BW2 moves will not be allowed)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Single elimination would certainly be cruel and almost as painful as a sprinter disqualified for a false start. Especially for some I know that lost their first match and ended up winning the rest in swiss format.

I think that mid-season they will shift so that the international players are all on the same page for worlds, but its hard to say, either way it is awesome to have a answer one way or another for October.

Does anyone know when Battling 202 will open again now?

So I see here the same that happened in Europe back in 2009. We played in d/p because pt was released two weeks before nats, and the at Worlds europeans had to play using pt.

Solace

royal flush
I think that mid-season they will shift so that the international players are all on the same page for worlds, but its hard to say, either way it is awesome to have a answer one way or another for October.

Does anyone know when Battling 202 will open again now?
It'll be starting up very shortly, we're working on some preparations to make sure it runs much more smoothly than it had in the past.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know of at least one instance of someone getting DQed for tutoring his Zapdos Heat Wave in BW2 for nationals. Don't be stupid/lazy and tutor it in BW2 when it gets it in Gen IV, unless you like being unable to participate.

(this is based on the likely accurate assumption that BW2 moves will not be allowed)
I can tell you with absolute certainty that if a Zapdos with Heat Wave was DQ'd by the hack check, it's because it was badly hacked in some other way, not because it came from a BW2 tutor. I'm going to reiterate: BW2 tutors are legitimate means of teaching a move, so long as the move is a tutor in 4th gen AND is taught to a Pokemon that arrived via Poketransfer.

Just DO NOT put HGSSDPPt tutors on Pokémon that were bred or caught in 5th gen, even if it would be a legal combo from the same Pokémon caught in 4th gen. That is what will get you DQ'd.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can tell you with absolute certainty that if a Zapdos with Heat Wave was DQ'd by the hack check, it's because it was badly hacked in some other way, not because it came from a BW2 tutor. I'm going to reiterate: BW2 tutors are legitimate means of teaching a move, so long as the move is a tutor in 4th gen AND is taught to a Pokemon that arrived via Poketransfer.

Just DO NOT put HGSSDPPt tutors on Pokémon that were bred or caught in 5th gen, even if it would be a legal combo from the same Pokémon caught in 4th gen. That is what will get you DQ'd.
I see; I was told that the reason given (for the DQ) was that the Zapdos has been tutored in BW2. Sorry for the mistake.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
A guy at the Colorado Springs spring regional this year got DQ'd for putting Heat Wave on a Gen 3 Zapdos. I can't tell you if he hacked or not, though, but considering it's legal (import Zapdos from Gen 3 to Gen 4, teach Heat Wave, import to Gen 5), it was likely a hack.

You cannot tell how a Pokemon learned a move. e.g. if you traded Gen4 ttar to BW1 without tutoring it SUperpower, but then you trade it to BW2, learn Superpower and trade back, ingame there's no difference to just learning Superpower in Gen4.
Therefore tutoring Heat Wave on a Zapdos couldn't be reason for his DQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)