VGC 2013 Regional Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Keldeo is an event mon, which have historically never been allowed in VGC tournaments because of their limited distribution. It has however been legal in a couple of Japanese Global Link tournaments that i hope we'll see stateside some day.

What matters first and foremost, before the rules are announced, before the location is revealed, is...

WILL AUSTRALIA BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE?????

There are still no events in Australia yet, but as far as I can tell, you can compete if you're able to travel.
So basically, TPCi still hates Australia? -_- If they weren't so goddamn addicted to their hip-pocket, they would give us a fair go! I know I'm sounding undeserving with my annual rant, but I don't even know what we Australians as a group did wrong BEFORE the World VGCs started to deserve this!

Sorry to backchat to a staffie, but that's just how pissed off I am about what I consider discrimination on TPCi's part.

So basically, TPCi still hates Australia? -_- If they weren't so goddamn addicted to their hip-pocket, they would give us a fair go! I know I'm sounding undeserving with my annual rant, but I don't even know what we Australians as a group did wrong BEFORE the World VGCs started to deserve this!

Sorry to backchat to a staffie, but that's just how pissed off I am about what I consider discrimination on TPCi's part.
Oh please. I am confident TCPi does not "hate" any country, especially not Australia. I am also confident that they want to expand the VGC program into other countries. But you have to understand that there is a certain budget every year, and they can only allot enough money for a certain number of tournaments. No one said Australians did anything wrong as a group. Please stop thinking that Australia is not included because the company hates you, because that is flat out false. I understand your frustration as a player, but there is no need to make false accusations towards a professional company.

Oh please. I am confident TCPi does not "hate" any country, especially not Australia. I am also confident that they want to expand the VGC program into other countries. But you have to understand that there is a certain budget every year, and they can only allot enough money for a certain number of tournaments. No one said Australians did anything wrong as a group. Please stop thinking that Australia is not included because the company hates you, because that is flat out false. I understand your frustration as a player, but there is no need to make false accusations towards a professional company.
Does Australia have TCG? If so that, among other things, prove that they are trying to push cards over games. True the games don't need as much "life support" as the cards, but they must be profitable for TPCi to keep it going. They feel like that they just don't need to push VGC throughout the world as much as the cards.

Does Australia have TCG? If so that, among other things, prove that they are trying to push cards over games. True the games don't need as much "life support" as the cards, but they must be profitable for TPCi to keep it going. They feel like that they just don't need to push VGC throughout the world as much as the cards.
This is also an ignorant comment. Yes, Australia has TCG. 2011's Senior World Champion was even from Australia. But that doesn't prove anything, and it certainly does not prove that "they are trying to push cards over games."

Look at the number of countries that are involved with TCG. It is much greater than the number of countries involved with VGC. Now this makes sense because competitive TCG support has been around much longer than competitive VGC support...

"They feel like that they just don't need to push VGC throughout the world as much as the cards."

No, Pokemon certainly does not feel that way. You might think that, but don't pass off your own words as theirs. Yes, VGC gets less support and prizes than TCG does, but like I said, VGC support started several years after TCG. If you really think Pokemon does not want to expand the VGC program into other countries, you must be close-minded. I am sure their budget just does not allow for it right now.

This is also an ignorant comment. Yes, Australia has TCG. 2011's Senior World Champion was even from Australia. But that doesn't prove anything, and it certainly does not prove that "they are trying to push cards over games."

Look at the number of countries that are involved with TCG. It is much greater than the number of countries involved with VGC. Now this makes sense because competitive TCG support has been around much longer than competitive VGC support...

"They feel like that they just don't need to push VGC throughout the world as much as the cards."

No, Pokemon certainly does not feel that way. You might think that, but don't pass off your own words as theirs. Yes, VGC gets less support and prizes than TCG does, but like I said, VGC support started several years after TCG. If you really think Pokemon does not want to expand the VGC program into other countries, you must be close-minded. I am sure their budget just does not allow for it right now.
Come to think of it, how many years was it since TCG World Championships started before Australia was included?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No. 1 Machop Fan: Theoretical scenario. Australia gets a VGC event. A National Championship. It's in Perth and winner of each division gets trips to Worlds. Would you attend?

So, I know this will probably be seen as a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway:

I've noticed that people tend to just use perfect IV teams when using the Smogon battle simulator program thing to fight each other. Is there the same expectation that people hack their Pokemon to perfect IVs when entering tournaments like this from a cartridge, too? Or is there a way that the mods check for that, etc.?

So, I know this will probably be seen as a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway:

I've noticed that people tend to just use perfect IV teams when using the Smogon battle simulator program thing to fight each other. Is there the same expectation that people hack their Pokemon to perfect IVs when entering tournaments like this from a cartridge, too? Or is there a way that the mods check for that, etc.?
At every live pokemon video game tournament there will be hack checks to ensure a pokemon was obtained legally.

It even states in the official rules that use of outside devices such as action replay is strictly prohibited and anybody found with illegal pokemon obtained by such means will be disqualified from the tournament without prizes.

http://assets2.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2013/Play_Pokemon_VG_Rules_and_Formats.pdf
Pokemon VG Rules and Formats said:
2.1. External Devices
The use of external devices to modify or create items or Pokémon in a player’s party is expressly forbidden. Players found to have Pokémon or items that have been tampered with will be disqualified from competition, regardless of whether the Pokémon or items belong to that player or were traded for. Players should only have Pokémon that they have raised themselves and items that they have received through normal game play. It is always the player’s responsibility to have legal Pokémon and items during the competition.

while hacking is illegal, as far as I know RNGing is legal and that seems to be the way people enter these things with perfect IV spread pokemon.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
while hacking is illegal, as far as I know RNGing is legal and that seems to be the way people enter these things with perfect IV spread pokemon.
This is correct. Hacking is against the VGC rules (and it's also against Smogon's rules to discuss it in detail), but many players use RNG to obtain flawless Pokémon. You can read more about that in the Wi-Fi forum or the on-site guides, or if you're not able to do it you may want to check out this thread where RNGers offer to provide free Pokémon to VGC players.

No. 1 Machop Fan: Theoretical scenario. Australia gets a VGC event. A National Championship. It's in Perth and winner of each division gets trips to Worlds. Would you attend?
If I had the money I would definitely make an effort to go with some friends of mine. There's a whole bunch of us who play competitively, and we even hold live tournaments during school breaks! I know some of them would do anything to get into Worlds. Some are even planning to spend thousands to try and get into the LCQs in Vancouver!

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
There was a regional for the 2013 season in Toronto in the fall. Why would they have 2 regionals in the same place for one season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)