VGC 2013 Regional Rules

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

I can see Thundurus-T being popular simply because it's a good check for Zapdos, opposing Thundurus and to a lesser degree Rotom. The most that Thundurus (I and T) can do to Thundurus-T is Hidden Power; Zapdos has Heat Wave and Hidden Power, but is outsped by Thundurus-T.
  2. PMMikey

PMMikey

Aw man, why can't I use Keldeo?
  3. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Keldeo is an event mon, which have historically never been allowed in VGC tournaments because of their limited distribution. It has however been legal in a couple of Japanese Global Link tournaments that i hope we'll see stateside some day.
  4. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan

What matters first and foremost, before the rules are announced, before the location is revealed, is...

WILL AUSTRALIA BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE?????
  5. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

There are still no events in Australia yet, but as far as I can tell, you can compete if you're able to travel.
  6. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan

So basically, TPCi still hates Australia? -_- If they weren't so goddamn addicted to their hip-pocket, they would give us a fair go! I know I'm sounding undeserving with my annual rant, but I don't even know what we Australians as a group did wrong BEFORE the World VGCs started to deserve this!

Sorry to backchat to a staffie, but that's just how pissed off I am about what I consider discrimination on TPCi's part.
  7. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW

Oh please. I am confident TCPi does not "hate" any country, especially not Australia. I am also confident that they want to expand the VGC program into other countries. But you have to understand that there is a certain budget every year, and they can only allot enough money for a certain number of tournaments. No one said Australians did anything wrong as a group. Please stop thinking that Australia is not included because the company hates you, because that is flat out false. I understand your frustration as a player, but there is no need to make false accusations towards a professional company.
  8. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Does Australia have TCG? If so that, among other things, prove that they are trying to push cards over games. True the games don't need as much "life support" as the cards, but they must be profitable for TPCi to keep it going. They feel like that they just don't need to push VGC throughout the world as much as the cards.
  9. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW

This is also an ignorant comment. Yes, Australia has TCG. 2011's Senior World Champion was even from Australia. But that doesn't prove anything, and it certainly does not prove that "they are trying to push cards over games."

Look at the number of countries that are involved with TCG. It is much greater than the number of countries involved with VGC. Now this makes sense because competitive TCG support has been around much longer than competitive VGC support...

"They feel like that they just don't need to push VGC throughout the world as much as the cards."

No, Pokemon certainly does not feel that way. You might think that, but don't pass off your own words as theirs. Yes, VGC gets less support and prizes than TCG does, but like I said, VGC support started several years after TCG. If you really think Pokemon does not want to expand the VGC program into other countries, you must be close-minded. I am sure their budget just does not allow for it right now.
  10. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan

Come to think of it, how many years was it since TCG World Championships started before Australia was included?
  11. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

No. 1 Machop Fan: Theoretical scenario. Australia gets a VGC event. A National Championship. It's in Perth and winner of each division gets trips to Worlds. Would you attend?
  12. Jayden Windsong

Jayden Windsong

So, I know this will probably be seen as a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway:

I've noticed that people tend to just use perfect IV teams when using the Smogon battle simulator program thing to fight each other. Is there the same expectation that people hack their Pokemon to perfect IVs when entering tournaments like this from a cartridge, too? Or is there a way that the mods check for that, etc.?
  13. ultimatedra

ultimatedra

At every live pokemon video game tournament there will be hack checks to ensure a pokemon was obtained legally.

It even states in the official rules that use of outside devices such as action replay is strictly prohibited and anybody found with illegal pokemon obtained by such means will be disqualified from the tournament without prizes.

http://assets2.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2013/Play_Pokemon_VG_Rules_and_Formats.pdf
  14. pootoucher

pootoucher

while hacking is illegal, as far as I know RNGing is legal and that seems to be the way people enter these things with perfect IV spread pokemon.
  15. voodoo pimp

This is correct. Hacking is against the VGC rules (and it's also against Smogon's rules to discuss it in detail), but many players use RNG to obtain flawless Pokémon. You can read more about that in the Wi-Fi forum or the on-site guides, or if you're not able to do it you may want to check out this thread where RNGers offer to provide free Pokémon to VGC players.
  16. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan

If I had the money I would definitely make an effort to go with some friends of mine. There's a whole bunch of us who play competitively, and we even hold live tournaments during school breaks! I know some of them would do anything to get into Worlds. Some are even planning to spend thousands to try and get into the LCQs in Vancouver!
  17. threeedaaawwwg

threeedaaawwwg

I'm new here, so I have to ask why is chatot not allowed?
  18. voodoo pimp

TPCi doesn't elaborate on their reasons, but most likely it's because you could use Chatter to record profanity or other inappropriate things.
  19. Neutricity

Neutricity

I need to know if there's been any update in the rules. Anything at all.
  20. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

21. c l e a r

c l e a r

So, I see that there is a regs for Vancouver...
    Why no Toronto this time, even for Spring?
  22. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

There was a regional for the 2013 season in Toronto in the fall. Why would they have 2 regionals in the same place for one season?
  23. Neutricity

Neutricity

24. OmegaJay

OmegaJay

So could I use a BW2 cartridge in the April 14th regionals?
  25. voodoo pimp

You have to use BW2 carts, BW1 will not be usable.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)