1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC 2013 Regional Rules

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 17, 2012.

1. 13Random37

13Random37

You cannot tell how a Pokemon learned a move. e.g. if you traded Gen4 ttar to BW1 without tutoring it SUperpower, but then you trade it to BW2, learn Superpower and trade back, ingame there's no difference to just learning Superpower in Gen4.
    Therefore tutoring Heat Wave on a Zapdos couldn't be reason for his DQ.
  2. ultimatedra

ultimatedra

One of 2 things happen when somebody gets DQ'd after hack check:

1.The software gives a false reading of a hack (See also MattJ's Weavile)
    2.They hacked their pokemon and when people ask why they make up a bull-crap excuse to avoid ridicule for hacking.
  3. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

Ah, good, I don't have to speed through BW2 then and farm for shards extremely quickly.

This also gives me a better chance at everyone performing well, seeing as how this metagame has been so drilled into our heads now.
  4. hoult66

hoult66

I hope the rules are the same thats the way im working on my team. I have a really good trick up my sleeve(That doesn't involve cheating)
  5. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

This is really all that needs to be said, let's stop discussing the hack check now.
  6. Solace

Solace some legends are told some turn to dust or to gold
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Just play it safe - if TPCi makes their official rules post and says that nothing from BW2 is allowed, then just don't use ANYTHING from BW2. Pretend the game doesn't exist like we carried on for VGC 12. We don't know if they're going to explicitly ban BW2 at this point, but if you're preparing a team now it's best to plan that BW2 will NOT be included in any way or form, so go by that.

The only time BW2 stuff will be okay is in this instance:
    It's one thing to discuss the legitimate fear of using stuff from BW2, but discussing why that Zapdos user got DQ'd because of the hack check is the discussion that needs to stop.
  7. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

So then, if October regionals are just going to be VGC2012 rules, have there been any significant additions since the June Nationals? I seem to recall some Dreamworld abilities have been made legal with the introduction of the Icy Cave, like Contrary Shuckle, Thick Fat Mamoswine, and Pick Pocket Weavile. Actually Thick Fat Mamoswine was already legal, but now it's breedable and can learn Ice Shard.
  8. Darkmalice

Darkmalice Like a facepalm, but better
    is a Tiering Contributor

Rough Skin Garchomp and Sheer Force Rampardos could be useful too. Especially the former considering how common Garchomp is, and it means it now has an ability that benefits it outside of sand; even if it's a minor benefit.

[EDIT] Sprocket is correct, Unnerve Haxorus would be illegal.
  9. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

I don't believe Unnerve Haxorus is legal in VGC2012 considering it requires BW2 to unlock.
  10. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

TPCI has explicitly banned anything BW2 in the Fall regionals so, you know, don't do it. Winter and Spring, however, will be BW2 exclusive.

Source.
  11. Project_Mars

Project_Mars

So then Winter and Spring regionals will just use the BW2 Unova dex then? That's what the statement makes me think.
  12. bharmalm

bharmalm

This announcement tells us nothing other than the fact we won't be playing the same '12 metagame for another year, the announcement is vague enough for it to be simply '12+BW2 additions to a completely different ruleset altogether.
  13. evan

Bunch of new information in the update to that previous post including byes at regionals and the first look at what the Euro circuit might look like.
  14. VGCMASTER

VGCMASTER

I don't really like this. The only regionals I can make it to is the fall, besides I was looking forward to the BW2 VGC. :/
  15. Kazuki

Kazuki

Anyone know when they will tell us the rules for 2013 because it only a little over 2 month away from the january tournament so they should tell us really soon to give us time to prepare. Also I think its going to be every pokemon except the legendaries that can only be obtain through events.
  16. Magicxgame

Magicxgame

Just be patient. Trust me, the rules will be up here as soon as they're announced.
  17. gregj91

gregj91

Until we get word from TPCi regarding B/W 2 move tutors, is it ok for some sites to giving us a rough idea regarding said official rules for the Winter regionals?

For example, I visited Florida's event site (or, if you don't like link-clicking, sections in question in bold italic:

), and I am shocked that, assuming that the site holds true on bottom, B/W 1 AND B/W 2 BOTH would be allowed as eligible VGC 2013 carts. If that is the case, I wonder if that still means, just for the sake of equalizing B/W 2 with their preceding B/W 1 cousins, no B/W 2 tutors or Therian(s) would be allowed, but B/W 2 carts are allowed otherwise?

^ Is that an acceptable rough idea, at minimum?

^ If so, and if the rough idea holds to be set in stone for VGC 2013, then I imagine that the Winter regionals' rules would be the same as the Fall's, only w/o the need to trade your pokemon from a B/W 2 cart to a B/W 1 cart before battle box registration just to allow it to get in the action, and that those same rules likely would be applied to the Spring regionals as well, in contrast to the B/W 2's Beginning Cup VGC rumors I see on the Internet recently. Thus, if it holds true, I interpret VGC 2013's rules as a mixed bag of sorts... Then again, is it still too soon as the rules regarding B/W 2 move tutors are still not made official by TPCi's confirmation powers, or am I missing something, and/or was an accidental leak found?
  18. lucariojr

lucariojr i'm a lombre from home
    is a Contributor to Smogon

I think that page is mostly for local leagues and probably doesn't have an inside scoop on official rules. On the other hand, if it's true, then groan.
  19. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I'm certain the new tutors will be allowed, because it wouldn't make any sense not to. What we don't know yet is what Pokémon will be allowed - while the standard GBU metagame is most likely, we've also seen a variety of other possibilities from the Japanese tournaments, most notably the Beginning and All-Star Cups. So I wouldn't count anything out until we hear it from an official source.
  20. evan

Those are not the official rules. What they represent is basically a starting point for any future rules for the most part. Also, if both BW1 and BW2 carts will be allowed, that would be a complete 180 from previous official word we have received from TPCI which says:

As soon as complete rules are announced, you will know.
  21. Magicxgame

Magicxgame

^Thank you. As I said, we just need to be patient.

(Though TPCi needs to hurry up, as winter regs are about two months away.)
  22. Mister Cold

Mister Cold

Still, no news on Europian dates?

I can only find American dates for this VGC :(.
  23. gregj91

gregj91

I think you need to wait until january-february of next year for such info, according to a bulbapedia member:

^ source <-- here
  24. ArcDeus

ArcDeus

Well that would be good news for us european ! I'm kind of tired of the single elimination/single tournament mechanism.
  25. vandalisor

vandalisor

yer a new system would be good but the dates if they put the event later would not be due to exams and things like that for most of the people competing!!!!!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)