Challenge The Gauntlet Challenge

This is going to make certain bosses absolute pain. Thankfully Drayden is the last gym, not Iris.

Nice story, I always love a little role playing. As for the bug, I'll go one better, it won't be just any bug, it'll be Scolipede.
EDIT: Unless a future challenge prevents me from using Scolipede.

Do I still get penalized if I get hit with a 4x effective move? The example implies that I do, but the challenge says to never take advantage of 4x damage, and being hit is probably never an advantage.

All challenges accepted.
Whoops, mistyped that challenge. it was supposed to mean if you get hit by a 4x RESISTED move. I'll go and edit that now.

Since you don't mind, EndQuote, then I'll give you another challenge. You must solo Byron (with any pokemon of you choice) using no SE moves. Good luck!

EDIT:
EndQuote said:
Whoops, sorry if I was unclear, I need two challenges for the beginning of the game.
(0 badges to 2 badges)
Your challenge is great, though, so I'll save it for the third (I think?) round of temporary challenges.
*facepalm* Sorry! lol that's fine

Whoops, sorry if I was unclear, I need two challenges for the beginning of the game.
(0 badges to 2 badges)
Your challenge is great, though, so I'll save it for the third (I think?) round of temporary challenges.

@Recec

You are challenged to never take advantage of a 4x resist or weakness. If you do by accident (meaning are hit with a 4x resisted move or deal 4x super-effective damage to something) you are penalized by having to buy 10 of the highest value of standard Pokeball you can buy (no heal balls or dusk balls, don't worry), and immediately trashing them afterwards.

Good luck!
I have another question concerning this. Am I allowed to abuse immunities? Because I have to solo Elesa and having a ground type would be a huge help.

I have another question concerning this. Am I allowed to abuse immunities? Because I have to solo Elesa and having a ground type would be a huge help.
Since you want medium level I'll let you take advantage of immunities. If you want a challenge though, then you should include them in the challenge :P

Accepting all the challenges given to me, although espeon65, I'm guessing major battles are defined as Rival, Gym, Admin, and E4 battles. Still looking for one or two more, so keep them coming folks!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I've bought a Japanese copy of Pokemon Crystal Version that should be coming in the mail soon, so I'll do a Gauntlet on it. (fuck nuzlockes) Also note that I will be unable to trade.

I want hard challenges.

I will take four challenges now, and two more challenges for every two gym badges I get (including Kanto badges).

Cannot use super effective moves against gym leaders or Elite Four members
Pokemon cannot evolve from their first stage until level 25, and (if applicable) cannot evolve to their final stage until level 45
Cannot use ANY Status-healing items (including Revives)
Gym leaders can only be beaten by using Pokemon of that gym's type

Gauntlet Chapters

First, I apologize for taking a while to get this gauntlet started. I had to wait for the game to get to San Diego all the way from Japan (I believe it shipped from Osaka), and when it did come it had a dead save battery. But, just replaced that battery, and now the game saves, so, without further ado...

I looked over my challenges, and knew this would not be anything easy. Well, I didn't ask for them easy so I can't complain. Let's get to the challenge.

At Professor Elm's lab, I had no trouble picking my starter - Cyndaquil! Of course, it would have no use against the gyms until Kanto due to one of my challenges, but Cyndaquil is amazing in-game so I picked it. Then, I would walk over to Mr. Pokemon's house so I could get the Mystery Egg from him and the Pokedex from Professor Oak. I decided that on the way, I would not run from any wild Pokemon, as I would want to get as much experience as possible before I had to fight my rival.

On the way there, I decided to get the Berry from the Berry tree by that dude's house on Route 30, and talk to him to get the other Berry, because, well, why not? Then, after visiting Mr. Pokemon's house to get the Mystery Egg and Pokedex, there was another Berry tree... But it was just a PsnCureBerry. Yeah, like that would be of any use in this challenge. Just sell it and get practically nothing for it. Awesome. So, I equipped one of the Berries I got before I had to fight my rival, and just to be safe I decided to heal up. Cyndaquil was level 8 by this time. Then, I ran into my rival for the first time, and I had a plan - I would use Leer on the first turn to lower Totodile's Defense! Hahaha! But, he uses Leer as well, but since I'm at a higher level than him I'd still be doing more damage to him than he would do to me. I won that battle easily just by using two Tackles (although the second one was a critical hit). Turns out that Berry wasn't useful at all!

Then I got back to Elm's lab, and there's a cop there (because my rival happened to be the same guy who stole Totodile from Professor Elm). I told the cop his name, and why, his name was none other than Baka! Because if you steal a Pokemon from some guy's lab and then tell your name to someone who just happens to have a Cyndaquil, you're an idiot. Afterwards, the cop leaves and I give the Mystery Egg to Professor Elm. He's like "but is it a Pokemon egg? This could be an amazing discovery" or whatever, even though I already know that... Then, as I go to leave, his assistant gives me some Poke Balls! Awesome, I can catch the Pokemon I need for this challenge!

Now, I would need to decide what to catch, especially since I can't catch Geodude for Falkner and can't use Cyndaquil against Bugsy...

So, it was time to catch stuff. I would need a Bug-type for Bugsy and a Flying-type for Falkner, so first, I decided I would go up to Route 30 to catch a Spinarak while it was night in-game, because do you think I honestly want a Caterpie or a Metapod or whatever? No! I knew I could only catch Pidgey at Route 29 in the morning, which meant.... Time to save the game and come back later!

So, morning comes. And it was time to go get me a Pidgey! Just lowered its HP by attacking it with Cyndaquil, then threw a Poke Ball at it and caught it, same old stuff. And then after that.... Grinding! First priority was to grind up Pidgey, while it would be nice to get Spinarak up a few levels. I got Spinarak up to Level 7 and Pidgey up to Level 8, then headed to Sprout Tower. At Sprout Tower, I felt that Pidgey would be at too low of a level to deal with Falkner, so I was only going to use Pidgey here. I knew I could do it too, since the trainers here only have Bellsprouts, while a couple of them have Hoothoots. After the first trainer battle, Pidgey leveled up to Level 9, allowing it to learn Gust and just breeze through Sprout Tower with it. And I caught a Gastly there too! (This was obviously at night)

By the time I got done with Sprout Tower, Pidgey was level 14 - Very much ready to take on Falkner. So, I basically went to the gym, spammed Gust, got to level 15, and got the Zephyr Badge. Easy. Having overleveled Pokemon for the win. But then Professor Elm calls and says his assistant is at the Violet City Pokemon Center, and he wants me to have the Pokemon Egg. So, I take it for no apparent reason!

And now it's time to grind again! I need to level up Spinarak for Bugsy, while I can also use Pidgey against Whitney so I should grind it too, it wouldn't kill me to train Cyndaquil, and Gastly could use some training.

Current team - All nicknames are romanized; They are in Japanese characters in-game.

Pidgey - Level 15
HP: 40
Attack: 22
Defense: 21
Special Attack: 18
Special Defense: 18
Speed: 27
Moves:
-Tackle
-Sand-Attack
-Gust
-Quick Attack

Kaji (Cyndaquil) - Level 10
HP: 30
Attack: 17
Defense: 16
Special Attack: 17
Special Defense: 15
Speed: 18
Moves:
-Tackle
-Leer
-SmokeScreen

Kumo (Spinarak) - Level 7
HP: 24
Attack: 14
Defense: 12
Special Attack: 11
Special Defense: 11
Speed: 11
Moves:
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Scary Face

Yuurei (Gastly) - Level 5
HP: 18
Attack: 8
Defense: 8
Special Attack: 15
Special Defense: 9
Speed: 13
Moves:
-Hypnosis
-Lick

Since you want medium level I'll let you take advantage of immunities. If you want a challenge though, then you should include them in the challenge :P
I want a challenge. No immunities!

@EndQuote
When travelling through Eterna Forest for the first time, your Pokemon are not allowed to deal damage (to an opponent) until Cheryl's Chansey has put one of the opponents' health into the yellow zone.

@LucaroarkZ
You may never use Super-Effective moves against gym leaders or E4 members.

@LucaroarkZ you want them hard? okay. Your pokemon may not evolve from their first stage until level 25 (cyndaquil->quilava,etc) and not to their final stage (if they have another one) until level 45 (quilava->typhlosion). Have a har- no, have a terrib- have fun! (mwahahahahaha)

I've just updated my SS Gauntlet with my battles against the Elite 4 and Lance and oh my god it was the hardest thing I've ever done in a Pokemon game by far. Just... read it.

@LucaroarkZ
You are challenged to not use a translator for anything, and to attempt to figure out what everything means through experimenting and research! Good luck!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Jimera, that's pretty easy actually. I can actually read Hiragana and Katakana, and have played through Japanese Pokemon games before (it's not that hard to figure out what everything is if you can read it)

Oh :( Well I didn't know that so I'll give you another one then. Thought I had a cool and new type of challenge for people :(

You are challenged to never use any status healing items... including revives (unlike mine where revives aren't included because if they were it'd be pretty much impossible given all my OTHER challenges). Good luck, this one is rougher than it even sounds :P

@LucaroarkZ

I'm not sure if you are still accepting a fourth challenge, but if you are, in order to prove your talent as a pokemon trainer to enter the Elite Four challenge, each gym leader must only be defeated by a pokemon of that gyms type. (i.e., you can only use flying types to defeat Falkner, bug types to beat Bugsy, etc.). A pokemon that can evolve into that gyms type later does not count (a Charmander wouldn't count against Falkner, etc.). This challenge only applies to gym leaders, any pokemon can be used against the Elite Four

Chapter 6 of my White Gauntlet is up!!!

You can find it here or in my signature below.

Also, an advertisement for my HeartGold Monotype Scramble! I will keep the poll running until this Monday, September 17th. the votes are tied, so i could sure use some votes. I have a way to fix it if it does tie, though.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention: I need two more one-time challenges please!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
@LucaroarkZ

I'm not sure if you are still accepting a fourth challenge, but if you are, in order to prove your talent as a pokemon trainer to enter the Elite Four challenge, each gym leader must only be defeated by a pokemon of that gyms type. (i.e., you can only use flying types to defeat Falkner, bug types to beat Bugsy, etc.). A pokemon that can evolve into that gyms type later does not count (a Charmander wouldn't count against Falkner, etc.). This challenge only applies to gym leaders, any pokemon can be used against the Elite Four
Initially I was a bit skeptical if this challenge was possible (i.e. if Dragon-types were obtainable before Clair), so I did research and it seems so far that this challenge is possible, so I'll do it.

@Espeon65

Dragonspiral Tower is a very special place for dragons and they want to protect it from Plasma as much as you do, as such you must capture a Dragon type and use it in every battle against Team Plasma in the tower.

@Espeon65

Dragonspiral Tower is a very special place for dragons and they want to protect it from Plasma as much as you do, as such you must capture a Dragon type and use it in every battle against Team Plasma in the tower.
Accepted, but, Druddigon is the only dragon type there...so the challenge is to catch and use a Druddigon. Okay...I just wish it could learn Fly, then i'd keep it, rather than getting my flying type a little later (you might be able to guess what it is).

EDIT: Okay, so Veemon (possibly also his username on here, though looked thoroughly thorugh the member list and nothing came up) from #orangeislands gave me the challenge to go all the way through iris's gym, including iris herself, and use only 4 pokemon, never go to pokemon center, and use only five items. I'm good to go on my 7th chapter now, so I'll start! And also, if you're Veemon, show yourself! please

Accepted, but, Druddigon is the only dragon type there...so the challenge is to catch and use a Druddigon. Okay...I just wish it could learn Fly, then i'd keep it, rather than getting my flying type a little later (you might be able to guess what it is).
You could also get an Axew if you wanted. The point of the challenge is mostly just to reduce the experience your team gets from the tower. Which may result in future grinding... sorry.

As for my Black Gauntlet, one of my friends (who isn't a forum member, so I have to post it myself) made a suggestion to me for a challenge. It's kind of like a reverse nuzlocke. Whenever I get to a new area, I must flee from the first Pokemon I encounter, and then I must always flee from that species for the rest of the game, I'm not allowed to battle or capture them ever.

So now I just need one more challenge and I can get started.

You could also get an Axew if you wanted. The point of the challenge is mostly just to reduce the experience your team gets from the tower. Which may result in future grinding... sorry.

As for my Black Gauntlet, one of my friends (who isn't a forum member, so I have to post it myself) made a suggestion to me for a challenge. It's kind of like a reverse nuzlocke. Whenever I get to a new area, I must flee from the first Pokemon I encounter, and then I must always flee from that species for the rest of the game, I'm not allowed to battle or capture them ever.

So now I just need one more challenge and I can get started.
Oh whatever, I'll use a Druddigon anyway.

Ok, just posting to say that I've put up the first two gyms in Kanto in my update post for SS.

Also Espeon, I'll give you another one.

You are challenge to beat Iris without using any items or Ice-type attacks. You will have 4 attempts to do this; if you fail 4 times, you may never use an Ice-type move ever.

Ok, just posting to say that I've put up the first two gyms in Kanto in my update post for SS.

Also Espeon, I'll give you another one.

You are challenge to beat Iris without using any items or Ice-type attacks. You will have 4 attempts to do this; if you fail 4 times, you may never use an Ice-type move ever.
Sorry, I already got my two challenges; sorry if I was unclear. I put it in my post about Druddigon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)