Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

Thank you both for the detailed answers. I noticed Overheat is listed in the standard Dragon Dance set for Rayquaza over Fire Blast. Is there a reason for this if the extra power from Overheat does not achieve any noticeable KOs that Fire Blast would not be able to get? Even though the rest of this set is physical, why take a -2 SpA drop if you do not have to?

Overheat is used over Fire Blast partly for the higher power but mostly for the higher accuracy. You usually won't have to use it more than once unless your opponent is running multiple steel types that are immune to/are not OHKO'd by Earthquake, which is rare, so the SpA drop is negligible.

Got it. So Overheat for the standard Dragon Dance, Fire Blast for Mixed Attacker and Dancer, and V-create for the Swords Dance set would be the ideal combination. Thank you all for the help.

Hey all, I'm currently rolling with a HO team and I'm having trouble with TWave Kyogre, and I'm wondering how useful Deo-S really is.

The team so far is: Deo-S, Expert Belt Palkia, DD MixQuaza, T-Wave Kyogre, CM Ghostceus, and Specs Dialga. I'm wondering if something like Double Dance Groudon might be better instead of Deo-S to immediately apply pressure, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Hey all, I'm currently rolling with a HO team and I'm having trouble with TWave Kyogre, and I'm wondering how useful Deo-S really is.

The team so far is: Deo-S, Expert Belt Palkia, DD MixQuaza, T-Wave Kyogre, CM Ghostceus, and Specs Dialga. I'm wondering if something like Double Dance Groudon might be better instead of Deo-S to immediately apply pressure, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
T-wave Kyogre shouldn't be that big a deal as long as you can apply pressure and KO it. I guess you could run Ferro or refresh Latias if you are really annoyed, but on a HO they are kinda meh. Deo-S is good as long as you have a way of circumvent rapid spinners and magic bouncers. You have a spinblocker, so I think it will work.

On the other hand, you should prepare for E-killer better, because it shits on HO if you are not careful. It can nab a swords dance on Kyogre, Palkia, Rayquaza (after it has fired off its Draco Meteor once), and even your specs Palkia, assuming Draco Meteor has lowered its special attack. Deoxys can taunt, but it really doesn't help much. Ghost-Arceus checks it if your running wow, but that move can't be relied on as your only way to stop the most dangerous sweeper in the game if you want to play consistent on the ladder. Don't get me started on Focus miss, it doesn't even 2HKO if it hits.

4 SpA Arceus-Ghost Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Normal: 174-206 (39.45 - 46.71%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Get a check for e-killer should be you primary concern. Scarf Terrak, Kabutops and Omastar are examples of soft checks that could be used on HO, because they don't ruin your momentum.

What's a good Choice Scarf'd Pokemon to run alongside Choice Specs Kyogre? I'm currently using a Scarf'd Rayquaza, but I'm wondering if there aren't better Pokemon for the job.

Palkia, Genesect or Dialga. Rayquaza isnt suited for this spot.
I like the idea of Palkia or Genesect, but my biggest concern is that neither of them can suitably deal with Ho-Oh if I don't have rain up, and Ho-Oh is a major issue for my team. Is there a Pokemon who can both be scarfed and reliably handle Ho-Oh, or am I asking for too much?

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Personally, I always thought that Scarf Zekrom dealt with Ho-oh pretty damn well, unless you were switching in and accidentally got burned or something. Still, you resist both stabs and hit its lower Defense stat with a super-effective STAB ridiculously powered Bolt Strike. I've run Scarf Kyogre + Scarf Zekrom to decent effect on PO (around 1450 peak) so it's not too bad I hope.

I like the idea of Palkia or Genesect, but my biggest concern is that neither of them can suitably deal with Ho-Oh if I don't have rain up, and Ho-Oh is a major issue for my team. Is there a Pokemon who can both be scarfed and reliably handle Ho-Oh, or am I asking for too much?
You can use Scarf Dialga or Palkia with Stone Edge. Dialga is especially good at this. Genesect with Explosion works too. Since you are using Rain Offense, you can use Giratina-Origin with Stone Edge. Basically, a surprise Stone Edge will eliminate Ho-Oh. I have used it on my Reshiram.

Choice scarf dialga (with thunder) is a reliable ho-oh check when rain is up (assuming they lack earthquake). However based on your post I believe zekrom would be your best choice. Ho-oh is very difficult for physical attackers since they risk the chance of being burned, so it's rare for someone to want to switch in anyways. That's why I mentioned dialga at first, since in the rain it won't be taking much from either of ho-oh's stabs.

If you are not concerned about switching in on ho-oh and just want a check, scarf terrakion will work as well. Terrakion can supply many roles, including checking dd ray and extremekiller arceus. I would recommend a set of close combat / stone edge / x-scissor / sleep talk.

Hi Guys, I know Politoad is bad in Uber, but I wonder if it is a good idea to run BOTH Politoad and Kyogre on the same team so you have better weather control and pair with Swift Swimmer to sweep.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While you're adding another weather inducer onto your team, you must also be aware that you are adding more Water-types (ie Electric/Grass weaknesses), as well as another Pokemon for stuff to set up on, eg Latias.

Hi. I have a rather simple question about a move switch for my Blaziken. I have a solid ubers team with my rank getting to around 1760 before the last ladder reset. I would also say Blaziken is my #1 sweeper as well.

I run this set on him. It's somewhat unconventional:

Vulkan(Blaziken)
-High Jump Kick
-Shadow Claw
-Swords Dance
-Protect.

He has an Adamant nature.
His IV spread is 252 Atk. 252 Spe and 4 SpD
He also holds a wide lens to make 99% accurate high jump kicks (it never misses not counting protects and ghost types).

As you may see, he's not your typical Blaziken due to focusing more on coverage, accuracy, and no recoil as opposed to raw power.

The question is this: should he learn blaze kick or flare blitz?

Like anyone, I just want a better team, but this set has worked really well for me. Please help. Any feedback is welcome :)

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
The set is pretty standard (without Wide Lens of course, you should test Life Orb, even though the drop in accuracy can be annoying, the loss in raw power is very noticable). If your team can weaken the opponent, then feel free to use Blaze kick, but I really doubt that is your case so I guess he should learn Flare Blitz (which is used on every Ken youll face in uber anyway). Oh btw, I think you already know that but take care with Mewtwo since you're using an Adamant nature.

Thanks a heap for the feed back! It seems like life orb should be tested with. I like it when my Blaziken can last a few turns, but you're advice is sound. I also use stealth rock on my team, so there is some team weakening.

I think Blitz should be tested at a later date after I experiment with life orb.

Again. Thank you! :D

I have one additional question-sorry.

I also currently run a choice scarf Mewtwo on my team. It's speed is awesome, letting it outspeed the entire metagame bar odd thinks like scarf-Dexoys S. I'm wondering if this is a bad idea. The scarf makes my Mewtwo a much better revenge killer, but should it be swapped for a different item?

As always, thanks for any help you guys can give me :)

Generally, Scarf Mewtwo is outclassed in what it does by either LO Mewtwo or other Scarfers. As you didn't provide context as to the rest of your team, it's hard for me to concretely suggest a replacement. If you need it as a revenge killer, Genesect, Palkia, or Kyurem-W will work well. As a sweeper/cleaner, you should probably just ditch the scarf and go for straight-up psycho killer Mewtwo. If you could post your team (in hide tags, preferably) I can help a bit more.

Please forgive me. The rest of the team is as follows.

Alpha-Omega(Arceus-Ghost)
He's my best special attacking sweeper. His moveset is Judgment, Calm Mind, Roar, and HP fighting. He also has a Modest Nature and an EV Spread of 252HP, 252 SpA, and 4 SpD.

Vulkan (Blaziken)
My physical sweeper and easiest sweeper to set up. His Nature is Adamant. His moveset is Hi Jump Kick, Shadow Claw, Protect, and Sword's Dance. He holds a Life Orb and his EV spread is 252 Atk, 252 Spd, and 4 SpD.

Leviathan (Kyogre)
A Scarfed revenge killer with a moveset of Surf, Water Spout, Thunder and Ice Beam. Has EVs of 252 SpA, 252 Spe, and 4 SpD. His Nature is Modest

Landmaster (Groudon)
He's an Extremely Bulky attacker with Fire Punch, Earthquake, Stealth Rock, and Counter(believe me it works). He holds Leftovers and has a Serious nature. EV's are 252 HP, 252 Def, and 4 Atk.

Thundurus(I)
A special attacker that Paralyses. His moveset is HP Ice, Thunder, Nasty Plot, and Thunder Wave. IV Spread is 200 SpA, 56 SpD, and 252 Spe. He holds leftovers and has a Serious nature.

My Mewtwo also has EVs of 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 SpD. Moveset is Psystrike, Ice Beam, Flame Thrower, and Aura Sphere.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Ok so first of all, you don't know how to properly build a team, I mean, there is really no synergy between your mons. Why are you using Kyogre and Thundurus in a team which seem to be built around Blaziken ? Also, you lack a lot of check to common Uber like Kyogre, Arceus or dragon in general. When you build a team, pick a mons or a core, then build around it (by removing his/their counter, then make sur you can cover most of the common threat).

What I'd suggest is removing Thundu, Mewtwo and Kyogre. Use dragon tail/Stone Edge/Roar/Roar on Counter (yeah, it worked on the ladder, but its really too situationnal), Flare Blitz on Swords Dance with Ken, Focus Blast on Ghostceus (timid full speed/hp). Then you can fill the 3 last spot with something like Genesect, Latias and Dialga.

Check the smog, article and analysis on the smogon, you are still lacking in experience.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Hmmm... here's my take on the team. (I'm just okayish so take my advice with a grain of salt)

1) Arceus-Ghost would probably prefer 252Spe > 252 SpA and Focus Blast/Will-O-Wisp> HP Fighting as Roar is support and HP Fighting isn't really nailing anything all that hard

2) Kyogre wants a Timid nature as to speed tie with fully invested base 90s (or Water Spout runs the risk of being severely weakened before you can attack)

3)Serious nature is... neutral isn't it? That... sucks. For Groudon, run Impish > Serious, as the Defense boost is beneficial and you aren't using your SpA anyway. Consider Stone Edge > Fire Punch or Dragon Tail > Counter, or Lugia will wall you to no end

4) Adding bulk to Thundurus-I probably won't help you survive anything in the Ubers tier, so stick with the standard set of 4Def / 252SpA / 252Spe with a Timid nature > Serious nature @ Life Orb > Leftovers, as Thundurus-I will be swiftly OHKOd by a majority of the moves in the tier. If it gets lucky and acquires a Nasty Plot boost, it wants to hit AS HARD AS POSSIBLE! :) Nasty Plot is a little counter-intuitive with Thunder Wave, as you'd probably want to go down nailing the opposing poke with a +2 Thunder or HP Ice, so consider Focus Blast > Thunder Wave or Volt Switch > Nasty Plot

5) Scarf Mewtwo cleans up like a boss, especially once the opposing team is sufficiently weakened. I gotta admit, been swept multiple times with a Scarf Mewtwo. But run Fire Blast > Flamethrower, as more power = more kills.

6) Flare Blitz > Shadow Claw on Blaziken too.

Hope I helped! :) Dual weather can work, if done right, but you might want to relook over type synergies and cover the power players like EK Arceus and Scarf Ogre.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Offensive CM: Ghostceus, Fightceus, Electriceus
Defensive: Steelceus, Grassceus, Waterceus, Rockceus (in SS)
More?

I've experimented with CM Ghostceus, and the Support set (last in the analysis) is my favorite and is excellent for countering EK Arceus and CM sweeping too.

Currently, I'm loving Fightceus (you should use this one it's REALLY cool), as there aren't very many sturdy Fighting types in Ubers and this one REALLy cleans up mid-late game, and is good for tanking and stalling out Draco Meteors, weaker moves, etc. and then setting up and sweeping (Just watch out for Ho-oh, Lugia, and Mewtwo) If you want to, try the Calm Mind set in the analysis.

Steelceus is one of the few viable Steel types in a metagame where Dragon moves are rampant, and Grassceus/Waterceus are good checks for ScarfOgre (but I still love my LO Palkia). Haven't used Electriceus, but BoltBeam coverage is pretty decent in Ubers and Rockceus is a pretty good tank in Sandstorm as well as a Ho-oh check. Obviously, the big one everyone needs to watch out for is EK Arceus, so make sure you have a GOOD check on your team! :)

Hope this helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)