Abomasnow [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

[pimg]465[/pimg]

Abomasnow

[Overview]

<p> As the only viable hail setter in the game, Abomasnow is relatively mediocre in the Ubers metagame. It faces stiff competition from Ferrothorn and Arceus-Grass for the title of bulky Grass-type in Ubers, but the combination of residual damage from hail and Leech Seed can give Abomasnow an edge over its competition. An unfortunate Stealth Rock weakness, seven very common weaknesses, a selfish weather&mdash;Kyurem-W is really the only thing that benefits from it&mdash;and abysmal stats hold Abomasnow back from being overly successful in Ubers. However, all isn't bitterly cold for Abomasnow, as its ability to summon permanent hail has its uses. Hail makes Kyurem-W all the more potent, allowing it to run Blizzard over Ice Beam. Abomasnow can also beat both Groudon and Kyogre with the help of previous damage via its exclusive STAB combination. Strangely enough, it also pairs well with both Kyogre and Groudon, forming a solid dual-weather core. Abomasnow sports a decent offensive movepool backed by a passable support movepool, allowing it to compete in such a powerful metagame. Abomasnow and hail are highly underrated and should be considered when teambuilding.</p>

[SET]
name: Leech Seed
move 1: Protect
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Grass Knot / Wood Hammer
move 4: Blizzard
item: Leftovers
ability: Snow Warning
nature: Calm / Sassy
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EV spread, Abomasnow is capable of going toe-to-toe with Kyogre, avoiding the 2HKO from Choice Specs Water Spout 86% of the time while being able to switch in on Stealth Rock four times. Protect enables Abomasnow to stall and scout the opposing team while racking up residual damage from Leech Seed and hail. Besides additional residual damage, Protect also gives Abomasnow the chance to scout opposing Genesect, potentially locking them into U-turn, Flamethrower, or Iron Head, allowing an appropriate check to be sent out. Leech Seed provides Abomasnow with a means of recovery, keeping it alive for longer in the match. Leech Seed can also act as a deterrent, keeping many frail setup sweepers from staying in for too long. Grass Knot is STAB and allows Abomasnow to 2HKO Kyogre and Groudon, making it easier for other members of the team to bust through the opposition's weather. However, Wood Hammer hits threats such as Kyogre, Manaphy, and Ground Arceus harder, making it an acceptable choice over Grass Knot. If opting for Wood Hammer, run Abomasnow with a Sassy nature, in order to keep its Attack as high as possible while maintaining its Special Defense. Blizzard, now 100% accurate due to hail, is also STAB, hitting the multitude of Dragon-, Grass-, and Flying-type Pokemon available to Ubers. Blizzard is also useful for beating lighter Ground-types and other neutral switch-ins, as Grass Knot's base power varies from Pokemon to Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Substitute may be used in conjunction with or in place of Protect to help stall out the opposing team for longer and allow Abomasnow to fire off a Blizzard or Grass Knot. However, Abomasnow will be hard-pressed to find room to set up a Substitute in such a fast and powerful metagame. Ice Beam is a perfectly usable option over Blizzard if Abomasnow is going to be played outside of its weather for the most part, as it sports perfect accuracy and higher PP, while still doing similar amounts of damage to threats such as Rayquaza or Shaymin-S. Hidden Power Fire is the only move that prevents Abomasnow from becoming hazard-bait against Ferrothorn and Forretress, as Blizzard scores a 4HKO against Ferrothorn at best while failing to harm Forretress in the slightest. Focus Blast is necessary if one wants to remove Tyranitar, and can be used over its Grass-type STAB.</p>

<p>Abomasnow must be paired with a Pokemon that has access to Rapid Spin, such as Tentacruel, as Stealth Rock steals 25% of Abomasnow's health per switch-in. Tentacruel has great synergy with Abomasnow and can also lay Toxic Spikes, increasing the amount of residual damage Abomasnow can score through hail, Leech Seed, and Protect. Because of Abomasnow's many weaknesses, it's going to want teammates capable of absorbing those attacking types. Heatran is a solid answer to Steel- and Fire-type attacks directed at Abomasnow and Arceus-Ground and Dialga scoff at Rock-type attacks, while Dialga also resists any stray Bug-, Poison-, and Flying-type attacks that could be found in Ubers. Kyogre and Groudon, despite annulling the hail brought by Abomasnow, make for solid partners, as the tandem of either Abomasnow and Kyogre or Groudon really screws with other weather teams. Abomasnow and Kyogre share type synergy, with Kyogre resisting Fire-type attacks aimed at Abomasnow and Abomasnow resisting Grass- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Kyogre, making it easier to break through opposing sun teams. Abomasnow and Groudon work much in the same way really, sharing some defensive synergy&mdash;Abomasnow resisting Water- and Grass-type attacks, and Groudon resisting Rock-type attacks, busting through rain teams.</p>

<p>Ferrothorn on its own is a one-Pokemon check to Abomasnow, resisting its Grass-type STAB and taking mediocre damage from Blizzard, fearing only a stray Hidden Power Fire. Pokemon such as Magnezone, Ho-Oh, or Reshiram thus make excellent partners for Abomasnow, as their STAB Fire-type attacks or ability to trap Ferrothorn (in Magnezone's case) make quick work of it. Pokemon that are comfortable stomaching powerful Fire- and Fighting-type attacks, such as Giratina or Latias, make for excellent partners for Abomasnow, as they keep it safe from threats such as Ho-Oh, Terrakion, and Blaziken. Because Genesect is such a pain for Abomasnow, carrying a U-turn resist, such as Giratina or Dialga, and maintaining entry hazards and hail will help discourage it from staying in a match, keeping Abomasnow safe. Kyurem-W, although notorious for sporting similar weaknesses, likes being paired with Abomasnow, as it lets it forgo Ice Beam for Blizzard, nabbing an extra 25 points in Base Power, becoming even more of a menace.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A mixed set is somewhat viable in Ubers, but too many bulky checks exist and leave Abomasnow hard-pressed to do what it needs to do. A Choice Scarf set may seem plausible, but in a much stronger metagame than OU Abomasnow finds it difficult to compete with much of the unboosted metagame, let alone OHKO much of it. Choice Specs and Choice Band sets seem worthwhile, but Abomasnow is way too slow to attempt it in such a punishing metagame. In regards to all Choice sets, Abomasnow would also prefer not to be bouncing in and out of a match due to its vulnerability to all hazards (especially Stealth Rock), as it will find its HP nearing zero relatively quickly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Steel-, Fire-, Fighting-, and Rock-type Pokemon and attacks are what Abomasnow have to look out for the most, as even a stray Hidden Power is capable of dealing serious hurt to Abomasnow. Faster Pokemon that gain STAB on these types and have no worries of switching in on Blizzard or Grass Knot, such as Blaziken, Ferrothorn, Ho-Oh, and Dialga, can immediately threaten Abomasnow with powerful STAB and/or super effective attacks or choose to set up as it flees. Genesect can pretty much tolerate anything Abomasnow can throw at it and use U-turn, Iron Head, Bug Buzz, or Flamethrower to quickly annihilate Abomasnow. Even powerful attacks with neutral coverage against Abomasnow, such as Draco Meteor from Kyurem-W, ExtremeSpeed from Arceus, or Psystrike from Mewtwo, will cause some extreme pain for Abomasnow, and can quickly put it into KO range.</p>

Protect should be slash with Sub, both are just as effective.

You probably should mention that it can hit Hippowdon hard also, since it is viable in uber (and you hit all other weather changer super effective just with your STAB, yay!)

Protect should be slash with Sub, both are just as effective.

You probably should mention that it can hit Hippowdon hard also, since it is viable in uber (and you hit all other weather changer super effective just with your STAB, yay!)
It will be mentioned. Regarding Protect, however, the reason why I don't have it listed is Substitute gives Abomasnow a way to hit Rayquaza, Zekrom, and other faster threats without having to worry about getting destroyed. I'll probably AC it, as it does have its uses.

Thanks!

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have no idea how this will go with QC. Personally I've used Aboma to great success :P, so I'll contribute what little I have.

Abomasnow is actually one of the few mons in the entire game that can take a Choice Specs boost Water Spout from Kyogre. Thanks to Hail and its resistance to water-type attacks, the move 3HKOes (this requires a TON of Special Defense investment though), allowing Abomasnow to turn the tables and use Leech Seed or just Grass Knot / Wood Hammer the thing into oblivion.

Abomasnow is the ONLY WEATHER SETTER WEAK TO STEALTH ROCK, this may seem tiny but its a huge flaw. If your using this guy to absorb Choice Specs Water Spout, a spinner is necessary to prevent Stealth Rock from turning the 2HKO into a 3HKO.

A mixed set is somewhat viable in Ubers, but too many bulky checks exist and leave Abomasnow hard-pressed to do what it needs to do.
Its actually not that hard to go mixed. Running a -Spe nature doesn't change anything really... and you get a stronger Wood Hammer / Ice Shard along with that Blizzard!

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Ice Shard
move 2: Wood Hammer
move 3: Focus Punch
move 4: Earthquake / Rock Slide
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
I've never tried Choice Band Abomasnow and I'm fairly skeptical of its performance X_X. If this thing has a niche I guess its revenge killing Rayquaza but... I mean why aren't you using CB Ekiller then? Hail? I'd think that's more then fully compromised by its lack of bulk though.

It will be mentioned. Regarding Protect, however, the reason why I don't have it listed is Substitute gives Abomasnow a way to hit Rayquaza, Zekrom, and other faster threats without having to worry about getting destroyed. I'll probably AC it, as it does have its uses.
Protect also stalls a turn of Hail. Its actually really difficult getting up a Sub on Aboma from my experience.

While it is weak, Hidden Power Fire probably deserves some sort of mention (at least OO), as it is the only way you can stop yourself from becoming hazard bait for Ferrothorn and Forretress.

Just my two cents:

First of all, Abomasnow has a lower speed tier than Tyranitar, and Choice Band is the only set that can even stand a chance; this is only if you invest more in speed than Tar, which you might want to point out.

Protect really does deserve at least an AC mention. As Mr. Lol pointed out, getting a Sub up is often impossible, and Protect lets you stall for Leech Seed, Leftovers, Hail, and Toxic Spikes if you're carrying them.

Honestly, I think that EQ deserves an AC mention at best for CB. Apart from Arceus-Poison (which has a niche but is so uncommon that it's not worth it) I can't think of anything that it hits harder than anything else. Rock Slide, on the other hand, OHKO's Ho-Oh.

Choice Band Abomasnow is a bad set, how does it even work in Ubers when so many things outrun and OHKO you outright. Without bulk, you can't beat Kyogre, and there's also that nasty hazards weak, remove it please unless you are really sure it works.

Only the bulky Leech Seed set has some use but Abomasnow is pretty shaky to use in Ubers. Like what mr.lol said, slash in Protect. Abomasnow is way to slow and hazards weak to abuse Substitute well. Drop Giga Drain, it is too weak with Abomasnow's bad offenses, slash in Wood Hammer instead.

You don't beat Groudon, it OHKOes you with Fire Punch in Hail. Stone Edge 2HKOes you at worst, those Offensive ones will rip you. Blizzard doesn't even come close to OHKOing Groudon with your set. Abomasnow requires so much support to function well, and it still gets OHKOed by a lot of things randomly carrying fire-attacks in Ubers. That hazard weak really sucks as a defensive pokemon and worse things is Kyurem-W shares a lot of common weaknesses with Abomasnow. Kyurem-W doesn't even need Abomasnow to beat Kyogre as it resists Water-type attacks too.

Not stamping this yet, Abomasnow is pretty bad on its own, and there are no weather sweepers who can abuse it. Froslass sucks, and you don't want to stack up Ice-types. Mamoswine loves Thick Fat more.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will approve Subseed, but Subseed is the ONLY set I will approve, despite the fact that Abomasnow is one of the shakier mons in Ubers for sure. Giga Drain shouldn't be there, but Grass Knot is a fine slash in with Protect just because it hits Kyogre nicely.

I have no idea how this will go with QC. Personally I've used Aboma to great success :P, so I'll contribute what little I have.

Abomasnow is actually one of the few mons in the entire game that can take a Choice Specs boost Water Spout from Kyogre. Thanks to Hail and its resistance to water-type attacks, the move 3HKOes (this requires a TON of Special Defense investment though), allowing Abomasnow to turn the tables and use Leech Seed or just Grass Knot / Wood Hammer the thing into oblivion.

Abomasnow is the ONLY WEATHER SETTER WEAK TO STEALTH ROCK, this may seem tiny but its a huge flaw. If your using this guy to absorb Choice Specs Water Spout, a spinner is necessary to prevent Stealth Rock from turning the 2HKO into a 3HKO.

Its actually not that hard to go mixed. Running a -Spe nature doesn't change anything really... and you get a stronger Wood Hammer / Ice Shard along with that Blizzard!

I've never tried Choice Band Abomasnow and I'm fairly skeptical of its performance X_X. If this thing has a niche I guess its revenge killing Rayquaza but... I mean why aren't you using CB Ekiller then? Hail? I'd think that's more then fully compromised by its lack of bulk though.

Protect also stalls a turn of Hail. Its actually really difficult getting up a Sub on Aboma from my experience.

While it is weak, Hidden Power Fire probably deserves some sort of mention (at least OO), as it is the only way you can stop yourself from becoming hazard bait for Ferrothorn and Forretress.

Just my two cents:

First of all, Abomasnow has a lower speed tier than Tyranitar, and Choice Band is the only set that can even stand a chance; this is only if you invest more in speed than Tar, which you might want to point out.

Protect really does deserve at least an AC mention. As Mr. Lol pointed out, getting a Sub up is often impossible, and Protect lets you stall for Leech Seed, Leftovers, Hail, and Toxic Spikes if you're carrying them.

Honestly, I think that EQ deserves an AC mention at best for CB. Apart from Arceus-Poison (which has a niche but is so uncommon that it's not worth it) I can't think of anything that it hits harder than anything else. Rock Slide, on the other hand, OHKO's Ho-Oh.
Choice Band Abomasnow is a bad set, how does it even work in Ubers when so many things outrun and OHKO you outright. Without bulk, you can't beat Kyogre, and there's also that nasty hazards weak, remove it please unless you are really sure it works.

Only the bulky Leech Seed set has some use but Abomasnow is pretty shaky to use in Ubers. Like what mr.lol said, slash in Protect. Abomasnow is way to slow and hazards weak to abuse Substitute well. Drop Giga Drain, it is too weak with Abomasnow's bad offenses, slash in Wood Hammer instead.

You don't beat Groudon, it OHKOes you with Fire Punch in Hail. Stone Edge 2HKOes you at worst, those Offensive ones will rip you. Blizzard doesn't even come close to OHKOing Groudon with your set. Abomasnow requires so much support to function well, and it still gets OHKOed by a lot of things randomly carrying fire-attacks in Ubers. That hazard weak really sucks as a defensive pokemon and worse things is Kyurem-W shares a lot of common weaknesses with Abomasnow. Kyurem-W doesn't even need Abomasnow to beat Kyogre as it resists Water-type attacks too.

Not stamping this yet, Abomasnow is pretty bad on its own, and there are no weather sweepers who can abuse it. Froslass sucks, and you don't want to stack up Ice-types. Mamoswine loves Thick Fat more.
I will approve Subseed, but Subseed is the ONLY set I will approve, despite the fact that Abomasnow is one of the shakier mons in Ubers for sure. Giga Drain shouldn't be there, but Grass Knot is a fine slash in with Protect just because it hits Kyogre nicely.
Sorry about this taking so long. Ended up busy between being sick, work, and classes. I've got some time now, so I'll plough through this.

Choice Band was a bad idea on my part. My thinking was too narrow, as I was only focused on getting the revenge-kill on the Dragon-types, which other Pokemon do equally as well, or even better than Abomasnow. Without the required bulk to beat Kyogre, it's too weak to be loosely thrown around in such a powerful tier.

That being said, Leech Seed Abomasnow should be its only viable set, so I'll focus more on it. Protect will be slashed in place of Substitute, with Substitute moving to AC material, as both have merit, just one more than the other. Giga Drain will be removed, as it seems to be the general consensus. I also want to point out that Grass Knot does more to Groudon than Wood Hammer does on that Leech Seed set, sans the recoil and need to change the nature, so I'll probably just put that in OO, since there's no real reason to have it listed on the set, especially when Abomasnow is already so shaky in Ubers.

And yeah, any other AC / OO suggestions that were mentioned will be implemented. Thanks guys.

Wood Hammer does more to Kyogre, and Groudon hates Blizzard anyway. It is unreliable but hitting Kyogre harder makes it worth using, also Grass Knot tickles the rare Manaphy. I like to see Wood Hammer being slashed with Grass Knot as it also hits standard Tank Tyranitar and certain Calm Minders like Manaphy / Ground Arceus harder, Abomasnow has horrible Speed anyway so using a Sassy nature won't hinder it at all. You will now underspeed most Tyranitar now, and it will be beneficial because you get to keep Hail up and switch out. You can't beat Tyranitar without Focus Blast.

Wood Hammer does more to Kyogre, and Groudon hates Blizzard anyway. It is unreliable but hitting Kyogre harder makes it worth using, also Grass Knot tickles the rare Manaphy. I like to see Wood Hammer being slashed with Grass Knot as it also hits standard Tank Tyranitar and certain Calm Minders like Manaphy / Ground Arceus harder, Abomasnow has horrible Speed anyway so using a Sassy nature won't hinder it at all. You will now underspeed most Tyranitar now, and it will be beneficial because you get to keep Hail up and switch out. You can't beat Tyranitar without Focus Blast.
Fair enough reasoning. I'll slash it in then. I'll also mention the Focus Blast part in AC, as it's worth mentioning really.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gack sorry, i myself had some real life issues to attend to. anyways, the most important thing to mention in the overview imo is that Abomasnow is different from the other weather starters. Unlike most weather starters, Abomasnow is VERY selfish with its weather. The only Pokemon that actually really benefits from hail besides itself is Kyurem-W, otherwise you should focus much less on making a "Hail team" and more "A team with Abomasnow in it". Mention that Abomasnow DOES suffer from competition with Ferrothorn, but the reason to use Abomasnow is that Hail + Leech Seed can really add up, and using Abomasnow with another weather inducer like Kyogre can be a great way to screw with some weathers.

-Mention Kyogre as a teammate. Like I said, Abomasnow + Kyogre is a great way to screw with Sand and Sun teams indirectly, via the pressure of double weather. To a lesser extent, Groudon + Abomasnow can work, but Kyogre + Abomasnow is notable also because Kyogre covers that nasty Fire weak, while Abomasnow resists grass and electric.

-Mention Ferrothorn as a problem, and ways to deal with it.

-FYI the reason Choice Scarf doesn't work is more to do with power than speed, Ubers is actually a bit slower than OU :P.

I'll probably do more nitpicks later, but for now, QC Approved 1/3

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[QC]2/3[/QC]
Just make sure to mention that although it can work, it's really mediocre.

gack sorry, i myself had some real life issues to attend to. anyways, the most important thing to mention in the overview imo is that Abomasnow is different from the other weather starters. Unlike most weather starters, Abomasnow is VERY selfish with its weather. The only Pokemon that actually really benefits from hail besides itself is Kyurem-W, otherwise you should focus much less on making a "Hail team" and more "A team with Abomasnow in it". Mention that Abomasnow DOES suffer from competition with Ferrothorn, but the reason to use Abomasnow is that Hail + Leech Seed can really add up, and using Abomasnow with another weather inducer like Kyogre can be a great way to screw with some weathers.

-Mention Kyogre as a teammate. Like I said, Abomasnow + Kyogre is a great way to screw with Sand and Sun teams indirectly, via the pressure of double weather. To a lesser extent, Groudon + Abomasnow can work, but Kyogre + Abomasnow is notable also because Kyogre covers that nasty Fire weak, while Abomasnow resists grass and electric.

-Mention Ferrothorn as a problem, and ways to deal with it.

-FYI the reason Choice Scarf doesn't work is more to do with power than speed, Ubers is actually a bit slower than OU :P.

I'll probably do more nitpicks later, but for now, QC Approved 1/3
I'll mention these up right away. Thanks for the check!

[QC]2/3[/QC]
Just make sure to mention that although it can work, it's really mediocre.
Will do. Thanks!

Mention Genesect's pressure
Consider it done.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Slash in Sassy nature when using Wood Hammer. Mention partners and how they work with Abomasnow. Palkia, Latias, Forretress, Heatran, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Tentacruel. Spin support is needed, all of them can do something besides spinning and you can mention Xatu for walling Ferrothorn and some Deoxys-S.

Abomasnow doesn't support many things besides making Blizzard strong but it needs a lot of teammates to help it work well. Needs more then just Kyurem-W as a partner.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Slash in Sassy nature when using Wood Hammer. Mention partners and how they work with Abomasnow. Palkia, Latias, Forretress, Heatran, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Tentacruel. Spin support is needed, all of them can do something besides spinning and you can mention Xatu for walling Ferrothorn and some Deoxys-S.

Abomasnow doesn't support many things besides making Blizzard strong but it needs a lot of teammates to help it work well. Needs more then just Kyurem-W as a partner.
Tentacruel and Ho-Oh are already mentioned, but I'll expand on the teammates section. Thanks for the check!

Now, if I'm not mistaken, this needs another QC check once I write it up, correct?

Maybe just write it up first, and ask other Ubers QC member to check it later, if they are still around which I don't think so.

tehy

Banned deucer.
After seeing what you wrote on the Braviary page and this, I have to ask, where are you getting the 4 QC check thing from?

As far as I can tell from announcements, actions, and posts, you get 2 checks, write it up, and then get a final check. Is there a special circumstance here, or did you just find out about it on the braviary thing?

Although this probably does need another qc check if the written up analysis wasn't checked

After seeing what you wrote on the Braviary page and this, I have to ask, where are you getting the 4 QC check thing from?

As far as I can tell from announcements, actions, and posts, you get 2 checks, write it up, and then get a final check. Is there a special circumstance here, or did you just find out about it on the braviary thing?

Although this probably does need another qc check if the written up analysis wasn't checked
It was a misinterpretation of mine - kokoloko's terrible at explaining things, tgod Pocket isn't lol. I'll switch this over to copyediting so GP can get at it.

Theorymon

Since this analysis went through an unusual form of QC checking, I'll start checking the writing in about an hour for nitpicks, hang tight! I'll edit this post when I finish that.

Edit: And here we go!

Overview

-I'd mention the whole "double weather with Kyogre or Groudon " thing in the overview as well. Being able to screw with weather like that is one of Abomasnow's prime selling points over other Grass-types!

-Again, mention that unlike the other weather starters, Abomasnow's Hail doesn't really have a lot of Pokemon that benefit from it beyond White Kyurem.

Set Comments

-Mention that Protect is ESPECIALLY helpful for scouting Choice Scarf Genesect and wearing it down a bit with Hail, since Genesect is a huge pain in the ass for Abomasnow.

-Just a question, how did you calc that chance of KO percentage? Keep in mind that you have to account for the turns of Hail lowering Water Spout's BP, leftovers recovery (depending on if Abomasnow directly switches in or if its after a kill), and of course, a Stealth Rock version of the calc would be nice. There's quite a few variables there, so I just want to make sure if that calc is accurate!

Additional Comments

-You should give a mention to Ice Beam. While its weaker and doesn't take advantage of Hail, it gives you a nice accurate STAB for when the weather chances, ALWAYS hits Rayquaza, and has more PP which is nice for stalling.

-Before you even mention the other teammates, I think you should have a small paragraph about Kyogre and Groudon as teammates, as multiweather is something that can really help out a team with Abomasnow. You can copy + paste some of the stuff you already said about Abomasnow + Kyogre. As for Abomasnow + Groudon, mention that while you don't have as nice typing synergy (though Abomasnow does resist Grass and Water which is cool for Groudon, and Groudon does give out a Rock-type resist), screwing with rain teams can make this combination worth it.

-The part where you mention general type synergy (the list with Palkia, Latias, Heatran, and Lugia) is sorta confusing when they are grouped together like that, as stuff like Palkia and Latias will get hurt REALLY badly by Ho-Oh, Heatran isn't taking fighting moves too well, etc. Also, none of the Pokemon you listed there resist Rock.

-Like Syrim said, you should probably mention that Genesect is quite an issue for Abomasnow. That thing is a LOT harder to check than Ferrothorn though, so you don't have to get too specfic on how to beat it beyond having U=turn resists and entry hazards + Hail helping wear it down.

Checks and Counters

-Instead of saying that those nuetral attacks will annihilate Abomasnow, find a way to say that these mons hurt it a lot without implying death, because even Mewtwo actually needs Stealth Rock to OHKO Abomasnow with Psystrike! I'd also mention that strong physical attacks in general are bad news for Abomasnow.

-

Without Stealth Rock -
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Abomasnow: 179-211 (46.73 - 55.09%) -- 14.06% chance to 2HKO

With Stealth Rock -
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Abomasnow: 179-211 (46.73 - 55.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I've implemented your suggestions and changes. Did you want me to maybe find a way to slip those calculations into the analysis somehow?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p> As the only viable hail setter in the game, Abomasnow is relatively mediocre in the Ubers metagame. It faces stiff competition from Ferrothorn and Arceus-Grass for the title bulky Grass-type in Ubers, but the combination of residual damage from hail and Leech Seed can give Abomasnow an edge over its competition. An unfortunate Stealth Rock weakness, seven very common weaknesses, a selfish weather&mdash;Kyurem-W is really the only thing that benefits from it&mdash;and abysmal stats hold Abomasnow back from beinng overly successful in Ubers. However, all isn't bitterly cold for Abomasnow, as its ability to summon permanent hail has its uses. Hail makes Kyurem-W all the more potent, being able to run Blizzard over Ice Beam. Abomasnow can also beat both Groudon and Kyogre with the help of previous damage with its exclusive STAB combination. Strangely enough, it also pairs well with both Kyogre and Groudon, forming a solid dual-weather core. Abomasnow sports a decent offensive movepool backed by a passable support movepool, allowing it to compete in such a powerful metagame. Abomasnow and hail are highly underrated, but still awkwardly effective in their own way, and should be considered when teambuilding.</p>

[SET]
name: Leech Seed
move 1: Protect
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Grass Knot / Wood Hammer
move 4: Blizzard
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm / Sassy
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EV spread, Abomasnow is capable of going toe-to-toe with Kyogre, avoiding the 2HKO from Choice Specs Water Spout 86% of the time while being able to switch in on Stealth Rock 4 times and have 3 HP remaining, provided it takes no other damage. Protect enables Abomasnow to stall and scout the opposing team, (RC) while racking up residual damage from Leech Seed and hail. Besides racking up additional residual damage, Protect also gives Abomasnow the chance to scout opposing Genesect, potentially locking them into U-Turn, Flamethrower, or Iron Head, allowing an appropriate check to be sent out. Leech Seed provides Abomasnow with a means of self-recovery, keeping it alive for longer in the match. Leech Seed can also act as a deterrent, keeping many frail setup sweepers from staying in for too long. Grass Knot is STAB and allows Abomasnow to 2HKO Kyogre and Groudon, making it easier for other members of the team to bust through the opposition's weather. However, Wood Hammer hits threats such as Kyogre, Manaphy, and Ground Arceus harder, making it an acceptable choice over Grass Knot. If opting for Wood Hammer, run Abomasnow with a Sassy nature, keeping its Attack stat as high as possible while maintaining its Special Defense stat. Blizzard, now 100% accurate due to hail, is also STAB, hitting the multitude of Dragon-, Grass-, and Flying-type Pokemon available to Ubers. Blizzard is also useful for beating lighter Ground-types and other neutral switch-ins, as Grass Knot's base power varies from Pokemon to Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Substitute may be used in conjunction or in place of Protect to help stall out the opposing team for longer and allow Abomasnow to fire off a Blizzard or Grass Knot. However, Abomasnow will be hard-pressed to find room to set up a Substitute in such a fast and powerful metagame. Ice Beam is a perfectly usable option over Blizzard if Abomasnow is going to be played outside of its weather for the most part, as it sports perfect accuracy and higher PP, while still doing similar amounts of damage to threats such as Rayquaza or Shaymin-S. Hidden Power Fire is the only move that prevents Abomasnow from becoming entry hazard bait against the likes of Ferrothorn and Forretress, as Blizzard scores a 4HKO against Ferrothorn at best, (RC) while failing to harm Forretress in the slightest. Focus Blast is necessary if it is vital that Abomasnow is to remove Tyranitar, and can be used over its Grass-type STAB.</p>

<p>Abomasnow must be paired with a Pokemon that has access to Rapid Spin, such as Tentacruel, who which has great synergy with Abomasnow, as Stealth Rock steals 25% of Abomasnow's health per switch-in. Tentacruel can also lay Toxic Spikes, increasing the amount of residual damage Abomasnow can score through hail, Leech Seed, and Protect. Because of Abomasnow's innumerate number of weaknesses, it's going to want teammates capable of absorbing those attacking types. Heatran is a solid answer to Steel- and Fire-type attacks directed at Abomasnow, (RC) and Arceus-Ground and Dialga scoff at Rock-type attacks thrown towards Abomasnow, while Dialga also resists any stray Bug-, Poison-, and Flying-type attacks that could be found in Ubers. Fighting-type attacks are easily sponged by bulkier Pokemon, such as Latias and Giratina. You say this later, and imo it fits better there Kyogre and Groudon, despite annulling the hail brought by Abomasnow, make for a solid partners, as the tandem of either Abomasnow and Kyogre or Abomasnow and Groudon really screws with other weather teams. Abomasnow and Kyogre also share type synergy, with Kyogre resisting Fire-type attacks aimed at Abomasnow, (RC) and Abomasnow resisting Grass- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Kyogre, making it easier to break through opposing sun teams. Abomasnow and Groudon work much in the same really, sharing some defensive synergy&mdash;Abomasnow resisting Water- and Grass-type attacks directed at Groudon, and Groudon resisting Rock-type attacks thrown towards Abomasnow, while making life hell for Kyogre, busting through rain teams. Ferrothorn on its own is a one-Pokemon check to Abomasnow, resisting its Grass-type STAB and taking mediocre damage from Blizzard, fearing only a stray Hidden Power Fire. Pokemon such as Magnezone, Ho-Oh, or Reshiram thus make excellent partners for Abomasnow, as their STAB Fire-type attacks or ability to trap Ferrothorn (in Magnezone's case) make quick work of it the Steel- and Grass-type Pokemon. Pokemon that are comfortable stomaching powerful Fire- and Fighting-type attacks, such as Griatina or Latias, make for excellent partners for Abomasnow, as they keep it safe from threats such as Ho-Oh, Terrakion, and Blaziken. Because Genesect is such a pain for Abomasnow, carrying a U-Turn resist, such as Giratina or Dialga, and maintaining entry hazards and hail will help discourage it from staying in a match, keeping Abomasnow safe. Kyurem-W, although notorious for sporting similar weaknesses, likes being paired with Abomasnow, as it lets it forgo Ice Beam for Blizzard, nabbing an extra 25 points in Base Power, becoming even more of a menace.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A mixed set is somewhat viable in Ubers, but too many bulky checks exist and leave Abomasnow hard-pressed to do what it needs to do. A Choice Scarf set may seem plausable, but in a much stronger metagame than OU, (RC) Abomasnow finds it difficult to compete with much of the unboosted metagame, let alone OHKO much of it. Choice Specs and Choice Band sets seems worthwhile, but Abomasnow is way too slow to attempt it in such a punishing metagame. In regards to all Choice sets, Abomasnow would also prefer not to be bouncing in and out of a match due to its vulnerability to all hazards, specifically Stealth Rock, as it will find its HP nearing zero relatively quickly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Steel-, Fire-, Fighting-, and Rock-type Pokemon and attacks are what Abomasnow have to look out for the most, as even a stray Hidden Power is capable of dealing serious hurt to Abomasnow. Faster Pokemon that gain STAB on these types and have no worries of switching in on Blizzard or Grass Knot, such as Blaziken, Ferrothorn, Ho-Oh, and Dialga, can immediately threaten Abomasnow with powerful STAB and/or super effective attacks or choose to set up as it flees. Genesect can pretty much stomach anything Abomasnow can throw at it and use U-Turn, Iron Head, Bug Buzz, or Flamethrower to quickly annihilate Abomasnow. Even powerful attacks that attain neutral coverage against Abomasnow, such as Draco Meteor from Kyurem-W, ExtremeSpeed from Arceus, or Psystrike from Mewtwo, will cause some extreme hurt for Abomasnow, can quickly putting it into KO range very quickly.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)