Pokémon Gengar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Has anyone had any luck with specs gar?

I think it's just hilariously anti meta for the time being but eventually people will adapt. Basically 99% of teams back in the day used to get their ghost resistances off of steel types. Lol, specs gar just spams shadow ball at teams filled with steel types and makes them weep when it hits 50% on bulky motherfuckers. Sadly its BP is still shit, but its really spammable. Trick specs is an excellent stall breaking tool, sludge wave actually has solid base power for when it's needed and focus blast 2HKOs any tyranitar. Dazzling gleam is better for picking off weakened tyranitar and hydreigons (who is great in this meta for that crucial ghost resist anyways, it has the strngest draco meteor that isnt completely shut down by tyranitar, and dark pulse spam is way more viable), but fails to make a dent in a lot of the more keen normal type switch ins like diggersby, or whomever else. Funny how useful diggersby's ghost immunity is in the face of aegislash and gengar.

Definitely worth trying. I observed someone running a pain split + sub + life orb set the other day, and even bulkier mons that can take a bunch of shadow balls neutrally get sub split down to low health and eaten by shadow ball, another fantastic set.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not guaranteed, Blaziken was banned instead of Speed Boost on Blaziken.
Eh good point. I'm just going off the banning of SS + Drizzle instead of Kingdra or more relevantly, the banning of Soul Dew instead of the Latis. Using the latter as precedent, I think it's reasonable to assume that in the case of Mega-Gengar being broken that the item is banned rather then the Pokemon as a whole. Can't be sure though, I forgot the reasoning that was used for gen v bans

Not guaranteed, Blaziken was banned instead of Speed Boost on Blaziken.
It's a bit of a different situation. Smogon prefers simpler bans such as Gengarite as a single item, as opposed to Speed Boost + Blaziken, which is an overlap between two things. This is more like how Soul Dew is banned as opposed to Latios and Latias.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
We can ban Sand Veil and Snow cloak but not Speed Boost on Blaziken???
Sand veil/Snow Cloak were banned on every Pokemon, because they were broken abilitys that pushed even Gliscor close to being broken and generally had a no positive effects in the meta game.

Speed Boost was only broken on Blaziken so we just banned Blaziken and Smogon doesn't makes complex bans like banning Blaziken and Speed Boost or banning Blaziken and Swords Dance or banning Blaziken+ Flare Blitz/HJK just to make it usable in RU or something.

Gengar is ridiculous this generation. Does anyone see any hope for Scrappy Miltank being a decent check for him? Was considering trying one out but am unsure if I should bother.

Could anyone suggest a suitable mega gengar counter? I found that he often gets used in online battles, and I have no "safe" way to get rid of him :/ He's basically the biggest problem I am facing atm.. (The main 2 pokemon in my core so far are Mega Charizard X and Azumarill if that's any help)

talonflame kills him with priority flying moves, and i'm sure he doesn't like aegislash's shadow sneak either

While it is true that you can switch out while he transforms in the first turn, Ghosts can't be trapped and can easily switch in later and wreak havoc on your team.. There are a couple of options left:

1) Switch in a pursuiter that can tank a hit or 2 and reply back with a OHKO
2) Use scarfers that outspeed 130 timid Mega Gengar while keeping the element of surprise
3) Bulky pokemon at full health that can live a hit or two and OHKO back, mostly considered checks and cannot switch in
4) Pranksters that can T-wave it and make it manageable
5) Sticky Web can help if you manage to keep it and chase it away when it Mega Evovles
6) A team with powerful bulky priorities such as Scizor, Azumarill and Mega Mawile can help

Note that all of the above is circumstantial and heavily dependent on your opponents set, as Gengar can either use Protect to transform safely or sub to disable Pursuit, Priorities, EQ or anything SE on it or even outspeed and 2HKO bulky opponents.

It's pretty cute that you don't consider, like, attack evs or a dark gem while laughing it off as stupid.

Yes it's gimmicky, but I run enough attack evs to deal 50% to a Talonflame that comes in on rocks.

Yes it doesn't always work, but it deters people from lazily spamming priority brave birds.

Megagar can't hold a dark gem.

Here is my master plan to deal with this unimaginable menace to society: switch to something with pursuit and kill it

Megagar can't hold a dark gem.

Here is my master plan to deal with this unimaginable menace to society: switch to something with pursuit and kill it
Yeah, I've definitely taken to running Destiny Bond on all of my MegaGars. Take out one opponent by revenge killing, and another by baiting a Pursuit and taking it down with you.

It's pretty cute that you don't consider, like, attack evs or a dark gem while laughing it off as stupid.

Yes it's gimmicky, but I run enough attack evs to deal 50% to a Talonflame that comes in on rocks.

Yes it doesn't always work, but it deters people from lazily spamming priority brave birds.
Mate, it has priority roost...

I run a MegaGengar full offensive, with no Disable+sub. It has a bad nature, to start. The point is that a single Shadow Sneak of a Aegislash with Spell Tag of one friend just kills it

Dark Gem Sucker Punch is idiotic when you can just run a Heatran or Tyranitar or something without crippling Gengar. If you run Dark Gem you can't run Mega, meaning Talonflame outruns you anyway. Sucker Punch is bad on Gengar. You are bad.

Is there any merit to running Venoshock and/or Hex on Mega Gengar in a status heavy team? Does the extra damage even account for anything? Or is it still just 2HKOs on special walls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)