Pokémon Gengar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any merit to running Venoshock and/or Hex on Mega Gengar in a status heavy team? Does the extra damage even account for anything? Or is it still just 2HKOs on special walls?
In my opinion, strategies which rely on already being on the path to victory should be avoided. Sure, Venoshock can do respectable damage when the enemy is poisoned, but at some point you're going to encounter a player with numerous poison immune mons or an effective cleric and you'll be effectively neutered. 'Win moar' moves are awful things to have when you're losing.

Can someone help me, what is a spinner? And how can a Blissey take a mega Gengarn when normal type cant hurt ghost?
A spinner is a pokemon that can use the ability 'rapid spin', which gets rid of things like entry hazards, leech seed, among a few other permanent fixtures on the field. And Blissey isn't limited to simply using normal attacks. Therefore it's immune to Gengar's ghost-type attacks and due to it's high special defense can take Gengar's other coverage moves and then hit it back with ice beam or flamethrower or something which can do quite a bit of damage to Gengar. The only thing it can't really take is focus blast, but focus blast is unreliable and doesn't do sustainable damage, and Blissey can simply use wish or softboiled to heal the damage.

For future reference, questions like these can go in 'simple questions, simple answers', though, I think.

A spinner is a pokemon that can use the ability 'rapid spin', which gets rid of things like entry hazards, leech seed, among a few other permanent fixtures on the field. And Blissey isn't limited to simply using normal attacks. Therefore it's immune to Gengar's ghost-type attacks and due to it's high special defense can take Gengar's other coverage moves and then hit it back with ice beam or flamethrower or something which can do quite a bit of damage to Gengar. The only thing it can't really take is focus blast, but focus blast is unreliable and doesn't do sustainable damage, and Blissey can simply use wish or softboiled to heal the damage.

For future reference, questions like these can go in 'simple questions, simple answers', though, I think.
Alright thank you. ^^

In my opinion, strategies which rely on already being on the path to victory should be avoided. Sure, Venoshock can do respectable damage when the enemy is poisoned, but at some point you're going to encounter a player with numerous poison immune mons or an effective cleric and you'll be effectively neutered. 'Win moar' moves are awful things to have when you're losing.
While that is true, I'm more interested in seeing if the damage increase even makes a difference overall. Or if sludge bomb and shadow ball will still be 2HKOs on walls just the same as hex and venoahock....

because if it's a 2HKO regardless of move choice then hex and venoshock are completely outclassed.

I run a MegaGengar full offensive, with no Disable+sub. It has a bad nature, to start. The point is that a single Shadow Sneak of a Aegislash with Spell Tag of one friend just kills it
1. Get a new Gengar.
2. Learn a wonderful thing called "switching"

Keep in mind, though, that Blissey is not a surefire counter. Gengar has quite a few ways to get past it, such as Taunt, PERISH SONG, and Disable, all of which can completely screw it over. And if your opponent is switching Mega Gengar into your Blissey, it probably has one of those.

While that is true, I'm more interested in seeing if the damage increase even makes a difference overall. Or if sludge bomb and shadow ball will still be 2HKOs on walls just the same as hex and venoahock....
If you're using Mega Gengar as a revenge killer, you'll be OHKOing most of the things you hit. Unless you're running some sort of gimmicky Toxitrapper Gengar (Which is a complete waste of its potential, since you have to invest in bulk. Oh, and Perish Song trapping works faster.), you're better off running something like Shadow Ball/Sludge Wave/Focus Blast/(Destiny Bond/Substitute).

Keep in mind, though, that Blissey is not a surefire counter. Gengar has quite a few ways to get past it, such as Taunt, PERISH SONG, and Disable, all of which can completely screw it over. And if your opponent is switching Mega Gengar into your Blissey, it probably has one of those.
Yeah I know, I was just saying how it COULD counter it. Perish Song MegaGengar is going to be such a pain.

1. Get a new Gengar.
2. Learn a wonderful thing called "switching"

If you're using Mega Gengar as a revenge killer, you'll be OHKOing most of the things you hit. Unless you're running some sort of gimmicky Toxitrapper Gengar (Which is a complete waste of its potential, since you have to invest in bulk. Oh, and Perish Song trapping works faster.), you're better off running something like Shadow Ball/Sludge Wave/Focus Blast/(Destiny Bond/Substitute).
yeah that's what I was getting at because if Shadow Ball is a one hit KO anyways, there would be absolutely no point to having something as unreliable as hex.

But using perish song may be able to kill almost anything since they can't escape, but it can also kill you.
That sounds good in theory, but Gengar just doesn't have the defenses to trap something for that long. Take into account that you have to forego an attacking move; there's really only one pokemon this really makes sense for, and that's Blissey, but Blissey's teetering on the line between OU and UU.

Shame it has lack luster defenses and why perish song and waste three turns when you can outright ko a mon.
I can't see Gengar 1HKO a Tyranitar. Or even 2HKO on. If something like thatcomes along I think Gengar is screwed. Tho if tget sent out a tyranitar I could always switch and send out a Venasuar. But yeah, I think perish song would be great against something like tyranitar if you had Hypnosis to stall it. I know, I'm a noob

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I can't see Gengar 1HKO a Tyranitar. Or even 2HKO on. If something like thatcomes along I think Gengar is screwed. Tho if tget sent out a tyranitar I could always switch and send out a Venasuar. But yeah, I think perish song would be great against something like tyranitar if you had Hypnosis to stall it. I know, I'm a noob
Every non assault vest tyranitar gets ohko'd by focus blast (providing it hits) while assault vest fails to ohko without the boosted pursuit however if they opt for crunch and you don't switch, gengars fucked.

ShadowSubSong could definitely KO at least one thing (at the cost of most of Gengar's health, though), I think it could see some use against Tyrannitar and Blissey at least. I'm sure there's a few other special walls it can deal with in this way too. I think it's viable at least.

Pft. I totally forgot you had to take a turn to actually use Perish Song, making it pretty impractical against Tyrannitar. In some limited capacity, if someone switches to it to counter your regular Gengar and you megaevolve at that moment, you could catch it on the switch. I think Destiny Bond probably works better in that case.

Last edited:
That sounds good in theory, but Gengar just doesn't have the defenses to trap something for that long. Take into account that you have to forego an attacking move; there's really only one pokemon this really makes sense for, and that's Blissey, but Blissey's teetering on the line between OU and UU.
I only do standerd. I don't know how to do OU battles and stuff

Every non assault vest tyranitar gets ohko'd by focus blast (providing it hits) while assault vest fails to ohko without the boosted pursuit however if they opt for crunch and you don't switch, gengars fucked.
252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 308-364 (76.23 - 90.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Cannot count the number of times my opponent's thought that and gotten KOd by Crunch.

Ugh...I don't mean to sound pretentious here...I'm sure most of you already know this but it's obvious some of you don't: gengar can't trap anything until it mega loves.

Edit: obviously that was supposed to say "megavolves" but autocorrect made it a lot more interesting

Ugh...I don't mean to sound pretentious here...I'm sure most of you already know this but it's obvious some of you don't: gengar can't trap anything until it mega loves.

Edit: obviously that was supposed to say "megavolves" but autocorrect made it a lot more interesting
This means that they can switch in a counter to Mega Gengar...which lets you either get a Substitute up and start attacking, or get a Sub up and switch out of TTar's Pursuit, to be able to switch in and trap later. Of course you're not switching it in in normal form into one of its counters, that's just silly.

Oh, and then because it can force so many switches, normal LO Gengar is a good option too, since it surprises the opponent by getting a Sub up when they switch, fearing Mega.

I see a lot of people questioning why you would use Perish Song on Mega Gengar when it has fantastic offenses but low bulk. Well, I understand why you would not be convinced about the Perish Song + Shadow Tag combination on a Pokemon like Gengar, but you have to realize how strong it can be. As long as the Pokemon that is out against you can't do 75% or more in one turn, is slower than you, and has no priority, you can just Perish Song - Protect - Substitute, and then kill them. While achieving all of those expectations may seem tough, remember Mega Gengar as a Pokemon with Shadow Tag by nature has more control over these situations than the opponent.

The Perish Song trapping set also does not get affected by the single turn you do not have Shadow Tag + 130 base Speed as much as an offensive set because it has Protect, although you could do an offensive set with Protect if you really wanted to (actually not that bad on Gengar -- it already used Protect rarely in the past generations for certain Pokemon like Scizor).

Anyways, the Perish Song set does better vs defensive Pokemon as believe it or not, Mega Gengar might not have enough firepower to break through certain walls.

Personally my favorite set is Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb / Focus Blast / Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond is actually a really nifty move with that sexy Speed stat as it allows you to kill off Pokemon you cannot OHKO (which happens fairly often with Mega Gengar despite that 170 base Special Attack). It seems like a situational move, but it actually comes into play pretty damn often.

Personally my favorite set is Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb / Focus Blast / Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond is actually a really nifty move with that sexy Speed stat as it allows you to kill off Pokemon you cannot OHKO (which happens fairly often with Mega Gengar despite that 170 base Special Attack). It seems like a situational move, but it actually comes into play pretty damn often.
I'm in the same boat. I find that, so long as I'm careful when I mega evolve, Mega Gengar can pretty reliably take out at least two of my opponent's pokemon per game- it helps that people get so pursuit happy when they're against him. In teambuilding, it's difficult to justify not just throwing him onto the 6th slot.

I'm in complete agreement on three attacks + destiny bond. It's what I've always used and I don't see any reason to change that. It's very reliable in its ability to take out two pokemon.

Gengar is going to be top-tier OU this gen, and MegaGar has potential to go Ubers, if OU can't handle it. Gengar has been good for about 5 generations for varying reasons, but this is going to be THE generation where Gengar shines (That's why is learns Dazzling Gleam) This thing is ridiculously good, even without the mega evolve. I've been 3 attacks + sub, and the thing's just incredible. Destiny Bond is great, but I like the versatility and security that Sub brings about.

What about running Gengar as a status-inflictor? Mega-Gengar has Shadow Tag, so opponents can't escape Toxic's deadly poison. It could also run Will-o-Wisp to set up Hex. Granted, it is not the bulkiest Pokémon in the game by any means, but I'm not sure anything would survive a doubled Hex or Venoshock coming from that Special Attack. Gengar could, of course, carry either of these moves to sweep after a party member has set up. If you have a good Prankster or other status inflictor, then Gengar can sweep unboosted once the party is set up for it.

Not sure about viability, I'm just thinking through ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)