Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Eh, I tried my own suggestion. Moody male Octillery and Moody female Octillery resulted in a Moody Remoraid. I then reset and switched the parents for Poison Point male Skrelp and Poison Touch female Skrelp... and the baby was born with Poison Touch. Same gender and nature, though.

I think I'll try Ditto later only because I can but I'm 99.6% sure already that Game Freak didn't leave this loophole open, at least. Meh.

At above post: ^

Only the female mon passes abilities unless a Ditto is involved. Thus, if you breed a Male HA mon with a female non-HA mon, you will never get a baby with an HA because the mother doesn't have the HA.
I read somewhere that the male can pass down a HA, but its just less likely (like a 30% chance). Maybe I stand corrected?

Males can indeed pass down Hidden Abilities. For me it seems to be 3 of every 5 eggs will have the Hidden Ability.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Males can indeed pass down Hidden Abilities. For me it seems to be 3 of every 5 eggs will have the Hidden Ability.
Are you using a Ditto? Its well known that males can pass their HA when breeding with (and only with) a Ditto.

I have reason to believe that this reject-hatch-reset nonsense is just that: nonsense. For the past couple of days, I've been casually trying to get a Protean Froakie through breeding, but I didn't want the Froakie I was using to go up too much in levels, since my Protean is borrowed. I put the monsters in the day care, waited for an egg, accepted it, went into the day care and got the parents out. I did this some 6 times. And every time I got the same Torrent Female Froakie with decent speed and 0 HP. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It wasn't until I tried the "5 eggs a time" stuff that I got different results, and the first result was the same old female Torrent Froakie.

What I'm trying to say is: you don't have to go through the trouble of leaving a pair in Day Care, reject the first egg and get the second to set the RNG for the next baby: the RN is ALWAYS set. You only have to reject/get an egg if you want to discard the random number you've already been assigned.

Eh, I tried my own suggestion. Moody male Octillery and Moody female Octillery resulted in a Moody Remoraid. I then reset and switched the parents for Poison Point male Skrelp and Poison Touch female Skrelp... and the baby was born with Poison Touch. Same gender and nature, though.

I think I'll try Ditto later only because I can but I'm 99.6% sure already that Game Freak didn't leave this loophole open, at least. Meh.
This is just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing that Ability inheritance probably works like IV inheritance: a chance for inheriting from both parents. If the baby inherited from, say, the female and you reset the game, it will inherit from any female from then on. If there isn't a HA to inherit, it won't be born with it. I seriously hope I am wrong. It might pay to double check that with an Impostor Ditto.

For those who have bred a couple of pokemon this way and who have also done it the more classic "slowly go from 3 IV to 4 IV to 5 IV" etc. way where you switch out parents for better babies.. what did you end up finding more effective?
It feels like you already need to have quite a good selection of parents when doing it this way, so you can't completely get around breeding the old fashioned way.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I prefer just doing it the old fashioned way, but there is a bit of merit for this.

For those who have bred a couple of pokemon this way and who have also done it the more classic "slowly go from 3 IV to 4 IV to 5 IV" etc. way where you switch out parents for better babies.. what did you end up finding more effective?
It feels like you already need to have quite a good selection of parents when doing it this way, so you can't completely get around breeding the old fashioned way.
personally this "rng trick" is better, using this way from a 1 fws iv mother i got a 4 fws iv baby with the right nature ability etc... (that mother breed with a 3 fws ditto) , and after 5 minutes of "locking egg" with gyarados and a internatinal ditto , i got my 5 fws , perfect nature and ability baby, so THIS is faster than the normal way, yeah you need a couple of decent parents , but ditto and dual egg group fathers make this easy (Charizard, Tyrantrum , Lucario , etc...), and the normal way is very random i got like 3 boxes of charmander just to get 1 special flawless .

You see, this confuses me. You still have to breed the same number of eggs, and you still have to check until you get the spread you want. How is this any better from just breeding the two parents from the get-go?
magikarp eggs hatch really fast

also, it lets you pick out parents for the spread, which works well if you have a large pool of parents so you always have a use for the spread you get

also your boxes don't fill up with fifty spitbacks

edit: ALSO, if you hatch a shiny with this method then you can hand pick the parents to use to get a shiny AND ensure the inheritence spread you got results in something you want

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This is just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing that Ability inheritance probably works like IV inheritance: a chance for inheriting from both parents. If the baby inherited from, say, the female and you reset the game, it will inherit from any female from then on. If there isn't a HA to inherit, it won't be born with it. I seriously hope I am wrong. It might pay to double check that with an Impostor Ditto.
BW already had an ability inherintance algorithm which was never put to use (AFAIK). I believe Game Freak simply imported it to XY and, if that's true, then there's nothing about any chanc--

wait what am I talking about, males couldn't pass DW abilities either. Whatever. I'll test it tomorrow, I guess. I'm too stubborn for my own good.

You need to use parents with the same gender ratio as the one you will ultimately use. IE if you want to use a Ditto + Kangaskhan, you should use a Ditto + Kangaskhan for confirming inheritances.
Does this mean that in the case of Ditto + ungendered you'd need to test inheritances using a similar ungendered combination?

If so, that would make a lot of sense as my results have not at all been accurate with Ditto and Rotom.

I feel too uneducated to comprehend this. -- I least I think I 'don't' understand it all..
But I feel as if it may save some stress if someone were to be as kind enough as to make a 'step by step' video of themselves actually doing it.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
BW already had an ability inherintance algorithm which was never put to use (AFAIK). I believe Game Freak simply imported it to XY and, if that's true, then there's nothing about any chanc--

wait what am I talking about, males couldn't pass DW abilities either. Whatever. I'll test it tomorrow, I guess. I'm too stubborn for my own good.
BW had BW2's 80/20 odds for the females ability assuming it didn't have a HA, but for whatever reason it wasn't implemented, and they had a 50/50 chance. But males can only pass down the HA flag when breeding with Ditto.

I've been messing around with this, but I want to ask, you have to collect an egg after the initial rejected one before rejecting the 2nd egg if you didn't need/like the original "RNG'd" composition, right? because I thought I got super lucky on an RNG where mother only passed def, father passed the rest except special attack. I tried using a 2IV female skarmory with one of them in defence with my perfect fletchling and got shafted on the egg that hatched... so unluck on such a perfect RNG :(

Also I understand how ditto works with this and how "ratio's" come into play but is it possible to do the egg rejection with a ditto and a certain gender ratio pokemon (say froakie for example) in order to determine what would happen between two froakie/charmander/etc, or does it only relate to the RNG between a froakie and a ditto?

Finally how does this affect two pokemon with different gender ratios? is it only the females and the final spawn that will correlate? for example if I set an RNG'd distribution with a magikarp, using a male charmander and a female gible would have what effect?

On the flip side, if I used a female charmander and male gible to test it, what does this mean for the RNG?

Here is a list of useful alternatives to Magikarp that have multiple abilities and varying gender ratios.

Togepi - 11 egg cycles, 7:1 male-female
Abra - 16 egg cycles, 3:1 male-female
Skitty - 16 egg cycles, 1:3 male-female
Pachirisu and Croagunk - 11 egg cycles: 1:1 male-female
Kangaskhan - 21 egg cycles, 100% female
Tauros - 21 egg cycles, 100% male
Magnemite - 21 egg cycles, genderless
Togepi can't breed. Togetic/kiss can.

Abra is 21 cycles.

Skitty is unobtainable.

Volbeat and Illumise are both 16 cycles and in 100% male and 100% female respectively. However, they are weird because the offspring can be either volbeat or illumise. If someone would like to test if they serve the purpose, that would be nice.

Combee is 16 cycles in 7 male 1 female group.

so it seems that a Twich streamer got ahold of this thread and decided he was going to compile the info you guys have discussed here and made a youtube video on it giving credit to the OP here it is!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Togepi can't breed. Togetic/kiss can.

Abra is 21 cycles.

Skitty is unobtainable.

Volbeat and Illumise are both 16 cycles and in 100% male and 100% female respectively. However, they are weird because the offspring can be either volbeat or illumise. If someone would like to test if they serve the purpose, that would be nice.

Combee is 16 cycles in 7 male 1 female group.
Good point about Abra. Still it hatches reasonably fast, and I'm unaware of any other 3-1 male species that hatches in <21 egg cycles and has two abilities.

True, Togepi can't breed, but Togetic/kiss is useful for spitting out Togepi eggs in fast succession, which is what makes them usable as a 7-1 Male Pokemon.

Skitty is available in Route 4. Its rare, but it is in the Central Kalos Dex.

Combee isn't useful because it only has one ability; I was looking for Pokemon with two abilities.

I didn't want to list Volbeat/Illumise specifically because of that phenomenon, I don't personally understand how the game picks which species it picks as an offspring. Same for the Nidorans.

Last edited:
i just note something interesting , after the egg is "locked" , i test if the ability is also locked and i found that is NOT, first i breed a Sap Sipper Goomy with a Ditto, the baby Goomy comes with Sap Sipper , then i reset and put a Hydration Goomy and the baby now comes with Hydration, so is only locked if you use a HA Parent

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
i just note something interesting , after the egg is "locked" , i test if the ability is also locked and i found that is NOT, first i breed a Sap Sipper Goomy with a Ditto, the baby Goomy comes with Sap Sipper , then i reset and put a Hydration Goomy and the baby now comes with Hydration, so is only locked if you use a HA Parent
This isn't enough to conclude anything. Mom Pokemon have a 60% chance of passing their ability to the child, with a 40% chance of the child having Non-hidden ability 1 or Non-hidden ability 2 (effectively an 80% chance for non-hidden ability, 60% chance for hidden ability to pass from mom to child).

Its possible the egg seed you landed on is an ability inheritance seed, hence why Sap Sipper Goomy produced Sap Sipper and Hydration Goomy produced Hydration. To test this you would need a Gooey Goomy (hidden ability is Gooey). If the offspring is not Gooey, then it is a non-inheritance seed, and if it is Gooey it IS an inheritance seed; if its non-inheritance you can determine which ability you will end up with.

Its something that will need to be tested for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)