The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know The Pats are the better team and the 2014 Pats are better than all those other pats teams the Ravens beat,

but im just worried

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Off the top of my head, he threw minimum one to Steve Smith and I only saw 40% of that game. If I still had PFF access I would go pull up the stats that say Flacco has been pretty much untouched on any balls thrown over 20 yards in the air. Flacco has been blessed his entire career with rarely ever getting consistently punished for throwing high deep "jump" balls. Sooooooo fuck man, get over yourself?
Have you thought that maybe part of it is that Flacco throws the best deep ball in the NFL aside from Aaron Rodgers? What is it with Patriots fans never giving us credit? How big of a win would it take over you guys next week for you to say "fuck, props to the Ravens - they deserved the win"? I bet if we win I'm gonna see a "Patriots shot themselves in a foot" type post. I'm a homer in the heat of the moment but after the emotions of a game cool down I'd like to think I can look at things rationally and give credit where it's due.

Have you thought that maybe part of it is that Flacco throws the best deep ball in the NFL aside from Aaron Rodgers? What is it with Patriots fans never giving us credit? How big of a win would it take over you guys next week for you to say "fuck, props to the Ravens - they deserved the win"? I bet if we win I'm gonna see a "Patriots shot themselves in a foot" type post. I'm a homer in the heat of the moment but after the emotions of a game cool down I'd like to think I can look at things rationally and give credit where it's due.
Forget it man - Ravens have never gotten respect and they probably never will. They're constantly underdogs in the playoffs, a role they embrace, but when they somehow win against all odds it's, "Flacco got bailed out by his receivers and D," "Ravens have the refs in their back pocket," "(opponent) played a horrible game." It's a lost cause arguing with these guys

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Whoooo cares who gets "respect." If your team comes into the playoffs as a sixth seed with the worst regular-season record in their conference, they're entitled to no respect, and you should relish that with every win. To quote the immortal Al Davis, "Just win, baby!" That's good enough for me.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Whoooo cares who gets "respect." If your team comes into the playoffs as a sixth seed with the worst regular-season record in their conference, they're entitled to no respect, and you should relish that with every win. To quote the immortal Al Davis, "Just win, baby!" That's good enough for me.
When I was talking to Stone on Facebook I told him I didn't think we deserved to be in the playoffs this year based on how we'd played. Once you're there though, every team deserves respect to a degree, because when your season comes down to one game, "any given Sunday" could not ring more true.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Ravens - as in the team as a whole - deserve respect. They outplayed and outcoached (screw Todd Haley and his incessant inability to make in-game adjustments) Pittsburgh in every phase of the game.

Where I take issue, however, is with people who give all the credit to Flacco for it. Flacco got to stand in clean pockets and throw to wide open receivers all day, thanks to the exceptional play of his offensive line, Kubiak's playcalling and Steelers Defense deciding not to cover anyone. Blaine Gabbert would have been able to thrive in that environment. Joe Flacco did not complete a single throw in that game that required him to place the ball in a specific tight window. On the rare occasions he did see some pressure, he threw wildly errant passes including one right to the breadbasket of McCain who dropped it.

I'll be the first to give respect to Baltimore for that win, as it was clear they wanted it more, I just can't stand hearing people suddenly put Joe Flacco into the elite category for literally playing catch with his WRs in a SINGLE GAME. You can't judge a QB by just the stat sheet from a single game. Flacco is, always has been, and always will be a middle-of-the-road QB who gets massively overrated for stuff he's not responsible for, and it would take a miraculous string of crazy seasons to alter that.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ideal conditions or no, he executed, which is certainly more than Blaine Gabbert could have done with it, let's be real.

That said, he did have a couple plays where he got away with panicking and just ill-advisedly chucking it deep. One of them was when Harrison actually got to him and he basically threw it straight to the DB (who obviously didn't bite at all on the misdirection they were trying to pull, but dropped it after getting hit by Torrey). Another was a really wonky play in the second half where I don't remember too many details other than it developed really weird and Flacco just kinda hurled it again (thankfully for another incompletion rather than a costly INT).

I find it fun how Flacco is now sort of a reckless gunslinger type. Just a couple years ago the biggest knock on him was that he was Captian Checkdown. And by "fun", I mean nerve-wracking, because I'm used to teams that are inept in the passing game but dominating in every other phase, rather than teams that give up a ton of big plays and rely on feast-or-famine plays of their own through the air.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
See this is what fucking annoys me, I hate Joe Flacco and all the praise he has ever (incorrectly) gotten. But somehow I'm generic Patriots fan who hates the Ravens too? Nigga I fucking LOVE the Ravens. I was HUGE on the Lardarius Webb hypetrain a few years back when he was playing like a monster. The Ravens DLine is one of the few DLines I give any respect to, because I know they can do it all, not just pass rush (yo sup Detroit, Arizona, Buffalo, etc.). I was a huge fan of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis when they were still playing for the Ravens, and I had nothing but respect for almost every player on the Ravens Offense (Pitta, Yanda, Rice, and now Daniels, Forsett and Steve Smith).

But dude, let's be real here... Flacco? Dude's not the second coming. He "throws a good deep ball", sure, but there is also an element of "Three Flags Up" going on with all deep balls. Both defender and receiver see the ball coming down towards them, they both have an opportunity to go and fight for it, and the Ravens receiver ALWAYS comes down with it... there are so few exceptions that it's almost ridiculous at this point that people refuse to see it. And yet still Flacco gets 100% of the credit, when a large portion of those plays are his receivers DEMONSTRABLY making an effort to even get the ball. "Oh but he won a Super Bowl, he won x,y, and z, he won all these games" because winning is somehow a QB exclusive stat now in today's NFL. Flacco is the posterboy for everything wrong with how we currently look at the game, so SORRY if people don't like your boy,and try to give credit and respect to the rest of the Ravens team.

I don't love the Ravens but I'll definitely give them grudging respect for showing up in big games. But yeah, Flacco gets far too much credit. I don't believe for a second he could carry his team without a running game, great D, and receivers that bail him out all day.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Ravens - as in the team as a whole - deserve respect. They outplayed and outcoached (screw Todd Haley and his incessant inability to make in-game adjustments) Pittsburgh in every phase of the game.

Where I take issue, however, is with people who give all the credit to Flacco for it. Flacco got to stand in clean pockets and throw to wide open receivers all day, thanks to the exceptional play of his offensive line, Kubiak's playcalling and Steelers Defense deciding not to cover anyone. Blaine Gabbert would have been able to thrive in that environment. Joe Flacco did not complete a single throw in that game that required him to place the ball in a specific tight window. On the rare occasions he did see some pressure, he threw wildly errant passes including one right to the breadbasket of McCain who dropped it.

I'll be the first to give respect to Baltimore for that win, as it was clear they wanted it more, I just can't stand hearing people suddenly put Joe Flacco into the elite category for literally playing catch with his WRs in a SINGLE GAME. You can't judge a QB by just the stat sheet from a single game. Flacco is, always has been, and always will be a middle-of-the-road QB who gets massively overrated for stuff he's not responsible for, and it would take a miraculous string of crazy seasons to alter that.
hue hue hue

if flacco walked on water stiller fans would say look he cant swim

for as much as flacco has played awful in his career, he played very well yesterday with some very nice passes (no difficult passes? what about the pass to steve smith or that 3rd and long to daniels that he had to hit in stride?).

stiller fans will refuse to give him credit but anyone watching saw james harrison somehow turn back the clocks to 2008 as he was matched vs our 2nd stringer and daniels (since monroe was out). poor flacco was under attack that whole game and still turned from joe flaccid into joe erect as he picked apart the steeler's pathetic secondary.

if justin forsett doesnt embrace the spirit of ray rice, it wouldve been even more embarrassing than it was.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Freaking Lions are starting so close to their own endzone dafuq

I also love the crowd's reactions to the Lion's touchdowns lol

Edit: Just remembered that Lion's cornerback Glover Quinn is in the Pro Bowl. sweg.

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
o shit Dallas touchdown fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckonastick

I got to it before you DetriotLolcat .rekt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)