The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart is being torn right now. I hate the cowboys, I like Romo, I want the seahawks to play the panthers and not a real team like the lions(for the easy win) AND the lions in general deserve a win... so right now I am confused as hell. Who should win??? I don't know dammit.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
LIONS GAVE IT AWAY DAFUQ STAFFORD

Edit: That's right miss that field goal

Last edited:
We need another td badly to put the pressure back on dallas

WTF REFS!? Thanks for the bullshit take back of PI smh. Get of the cowboys dicks jesus christ

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It shouldn't have been DPI in the first place, so it was a good call to take the penalty back. I mean, it doesn't matter that the defender isn't looking for the ball if he doesn't make any notable contact with the receiver. :/ I'm shocked they picked up the flag after that long though. Regardless, refs screwed over Dallas more than enough times in the first 3.5 quarters to more than make up for it even if you think that was a bad call.

Romo's been as shitty as I've seen a QB perform without turning it over 500 times. He's holding the ball way too long and keeps throwing behind or low to his receivers all game.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
WHAT THE FUCK LAWRENCE COULDN'T YOU JUST THROW YOURSELF ON THE GROUND ARE YOU KIDDING

EDIT NVM YOU GO LAWRENCE WHEEEEEE

Last edited:

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't give a single fuck. Detroit completely outplayed Dallas in every phase of the game and were completely robbed by at least three terrible officiating decisions. Fuck the refs; this game was incompetently officiated at worst and fixed at best. but at least BIG TV RATINGS FOR UNDEFEATED ON ROAD COWBOYS AND UNDEFEATED AT HOME PACKERS YAY I'M ROGER GOODELL

Thank you to the Lions players and coaches who turned the Lions into a team worthy of the divisional round.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
del rio pls

The running into the kicker no-call? The Dallas OPI on Williams when a Lions defender pushed another Lions defender into him, nullfying a first down gained on the opposite side of the field? How about Dez getting shoved down right in the middle of the field on the drive Dallas settled for missing the FG at the start of the second half? Dallas gets screwed the first 85% of the game and then you're gonna hate for them finally getting one call their way? The call itself wasn't even wrong, it's just highly questionable that the refs decided to reverse it a solid minute after they announced the penalty. Maybe you can bitch about questionable (offensive) holding no-calls on the last Dallas drive, but the defensive holding calls were pretty blatantly legit.

Terrible officiating all-around either way.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hue hue hue

if flacco walked on water stiller fans would say look he cant swim

for as much as flacco has played awful in his career, he played very well yesterday with some very nice passes (no difficult passes? what about the pass to steve smith or that 3rd and long to daniels that he had to hit in stride?).

stiller fans will refuse to give him credit but anyone watching saw james harrison somehow turn back the clocks to 2008 as he was matched vs our 2nd stringer and daniels (since monroe was out). poor flacco was under attack that whole game and still turned from joe flaccid into joe erect as he picked apart the steeler's pathetic secondary.

if justin forsett doesnt embrace the spirit of ray rice, it wouldve been even more embarrassing than it was.
The pass to Smith would have been picked off easily if the defender bothered to turn his head around. It was a great catch, not a difficult throw. As for the 3rd down to Daniels, it wasn't that difficult but I'll credit Flacco for making the throw perfectly when it counted. Does that throw make him the best QB in the league now?

I'm not refusing to give him credit because I'm a Steeler fan (is repeatedly saying "stiller" supposed to upset me or something?), I'm refusing to give him credit because he doesn't deserve any. I know it's difficult to believe, but I do actually attempt to analyze football as objectively as I can (I'm not perfect of course, but nobody is). But I guess being a Steeler fan automatically precludes me from having any sort of opinion on a Ravens player, in your eyes.

Flacco did feel some pressure from time to time that game from Harrison, yes. When he did, he threw poor passes that were nearly intercepted. Now, that being said, I do recall a couple times during the game Flacco doing an excellent job of escaping pressure, buying time and making a throw on the run. If you'd like me to credit him there too, I will. Still doesn't magically make him elite.

No arguments about the Steeler secondary, it is pretty atrocious.

Funny you should make a final comment like that though, considering your opponent was missing 40% of it's entire season's offense. As much of an advantage as your team was granted under those circumstances, they still could have easily been on the losing end if the Archer TD wasn't called back and Brown had not made an uncharacteristic mistake in jumping to catch a ball he didn't need to jump for instead of keeping his feet down and catching an easy TD.

I targeted Flacco with my comments because I felt he was being unjustly credited for things that were made possible by the rest of his team and coaches. You, on the other hand, elected to respond with a bunch of cheap taunts rather than actual analysis. Which, in hindsight, now makes me wonder...

Why did I waste my time responding to your post anyway? Guess we'll never know now.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The running into the kicker no call was in the middle of the first half and on a 4th and 15. If the refs got it right it would have been 4th and 10 - essentially no different. The OPI on Terrance Williams was an obviously correct call, Williams practically grabbed him. Detroit did get one or two nice calls in the first half I agree.

Meanwhile Detroit's offensive linemen were being held like babies on Dallas' last touchdown. That's not even debatable; that's NYPD level choking right there.

Also, on the picked up flag, Dez Bryant ran onto the field with his helmet off to argue with the ref. That's an automatic 15-yard penalty plus a possible ejection. If Ndamukong Suh tried to do that he'd probably be banned from the league for life. Not to mention picking up the flag was BLATANTLY the wrong call. It's like the referee forgot what the definition of pass interference was.

w/e I'm mad as fuck the lions didn't play a great second half but still dominated dallas the whole game. detroit vs everybody next season

del rio pls

The running into the kicker no-call? The Dallas OPI on Williams when a Lions defender pushed another Lions defender into him, nullfying a first down gained on the opposite side of the field? How about Dez getting shoved down right in the middle of the field on the drive Dallas settled for missing the FG at the start of the second half? Dallas gets screwed the first 85% of the game and then you're gonna hate for them finally getting one call their way? The call itself wasn't even wrong, it's just highly questionable that the refs decided to reverse it a solid minute after they announced the penalty. Maybe you can bitch about questionable (offensive) holding no-calls on the last Dallas drive, but the defensive holding calls were pretty blatantly legit.

Terrible officiating all-around either way.
Not saying that because I think Detroit got utterly screwed by the refs the whole game, but just because I fucking hate the Cowboys

So the huge Falcons-Saints game is coming up Sunday presents an interesting scenario I've naturally been thinking a lot about lately. While the winner (likely) wins the division and makes the playoffs as the #4 seed, the loser all but secures a top 10 pick in the 2015 NFL draft. The winner of the division, even if they finish at less than .500, gets "rewarded" with the 21st pick in the draft (that's implying they lose their playoff game).

Since the NFL seems to be "Super Bowl or Bust" for most teams and fans, which scenario would you guys rather have? A guaranteed top 10 pick in next year's draft, or a chance to beat Arizona/Detroit/someone at home, then go on the road to beat either or both of Green Bay/Seattle? If they make the playoffs and win a game, is it "worth" it? What if they don't even win a game? Since terrible teams usually pick in the top 10 every single year, does having the #8 vs #21 pick really even make much of a difference?
added bonus of the Falcons (and Saints) missing the playoffs: Avoiding all the salt the playoffs seem to make every year :^)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We can compare still shots all night, it's still not going to change the fact that referees are human and can't physically see everything. Bad calls went both ways in the Dallas game, and you can't blame the referees any more than you can blame the Lions for either missed opportunities on offense or blown tackles on defense.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Not to mention picking up the flag was BLATANTLY the wrong call. It's like the referee forgot what the definition of pass interference was.
[pretzels' post]

I mean, if you want to take offense at Dez running out onto the field of play with his helmet off and not being penalized, okay. (But he only did it because they made a garbage call!) If you want to grill the refs for taking back the call with no explanation a solid minute after making the announcement, sure. But the original penalty wasn't the correct call to begin with. No-call was right, maybe offsetting penalties (benefitting DET as they get to replay 3rd and 1), possibly OPI or facemask on Pettigrew. It certainly wasn't DPI, so ultimately I'm satisfied with the conclusion being correct. The defender did not meaningfully impede the receiver's ability to catch the ball, he barely brushed his shoulder and Stafford was way off target. Possibly the reason he didn't even turn his head to look for the ball is because his facemask was grabbed and he physically couldn't.

You can bitch about the lack of offensive holding calls too but quite honestly that shit happens a hundred times a game, every game, on both sides. It's only annoying in this case because of the air of incompetence surrounding so many other calls this game. If Witten didn't get called for the most ticky-tack holding on the previous drive, maybe Dallas wouldn't have had to settle for a FG then. Holding always seems to be called inconsistently. :/

Not saying that because I think Detroit got utterly screwed by the refs the whole game, but just because I fucking hate the Cowboys
FAIR ENOUGH, CARRY ON.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the game after hitting record and leaving my phone/computer out of sight for a few hours.

As a Raiders fan, I couldn't care less who was going to win the game. I'll freely admit I was rooting for Dallas to come back and make it a game, but I probably would've rather seen Detroit win so I could watch Lions-Seahawks next week.
It was a sloppy game though for sure. I don't think the Pettigrew "PI" should've been flagged in the first place but that's just me. The backer didn't run into him or push him out of the way, he just happened to be where the ball was without looking up to see where it was. Stafford looked a good deal better than Romo did though. Romo was definitely holding the ball wayyy too long; it should be out in a couple seconds tops against Detroit's scary Dline. I guess I don't have anything else to say other than it was a fun game to watch for someone who doesn't care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)