Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why cancel giving Flygon one, when they can just postpone it until they think of something? Flygon clearly deserves one.
They couldn't create a final design for it that was fitting enough and at the standard that they needed. Pretty understandable really.

It seems Spain is getting more and more likely. Maybe we really will get a Johto/Kanto like game with Sun and Moon.
Flygon and Exploud are crying in a corner, wondering my Game Freak doesn't love them. And Shiftry. And Ludicolo. And Walrein. And Machamp. And Golem. Need I continue? Milotic on the other hand can go fuck off!
They did give Exploud Scrappy and Boomburst. If giving it a 140 BP, 100% acc, no downside STAB and an ability that prevents Ghost Pokémon from being immune to it isn't love, I don't know what is.

Remember what I said about GF doing research trips to the location the new games are based on? Well apparently he was in Hawaii last year :O

Maybe this supports the idea some people had that the new games will be based on Hawaii

https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/630571143653560321
My problem with this twit convo is that it's in August, have to believe that development for SM began before that. The photos from Barcelona date earlier. This is really weak either way because Masuda traveled across the globe promoting ORAS last year.

The fire truck color isn't that strong of evidence for Hawaii either because there are yellow fire trucks in Spain and other places in the world. Not everyone can see Red, about 10% of the population can't.

I wish Gamefreak/Masuda's travel exploits were easier to track, that might give us clues in to the type of setting they've developed.

He traveled to New York shortly after the release of Diamond and Pearl.
Travled to Paris after the release of XY.
And traveled to Spain after that…
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/
I've heard some rumours that Spain might be next Which is pretty neat since, considering it borders France, they can do 6.5 and gen 7 rolled into one like they did Gen 1 and 2. Of course, they're all big ifs, but it'd be refreshing to see.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I must say that I don't personally like how everbody is speculating on what the new region is supposedly based on (though as a moderator I'm fine with the discussion staying here). For one, people seem to expect carbon copies, that the region will be just as much Spain/Italy/England/Hawaii as Kalos was France. I rather think it will borrow some elements, but they're not required to carbon-copy all the geographic features. They would probably pick fire truck colours and vehicle license plates to suit the pallette of the surroundings, rather than basing them on what is used in the country the region is inspired by. Nor do they have to make Poké-Italy or Poké-England just because it's supposedly next to Poké-France. People are strangely confident in their predictions, or believing rumours I can pretty much guarantee to be baseless, even though we've been told practically nothing. We've seen once scene, that's all. A still image to boot, if I'm not mistaken. Let's not jump to conclusions based on so little evidence.

Then I visited the Bulbagarden and Serebii forums and saw what everybody over there were extrapolating and the conclusions they were jumping too, and came to realize you guys here at Smogon are pretty reserved and restrained. There are ten-page threads of starter speculation, based on absolutely nothing whatsoever, and similar-sized ones about Legendaries speculation, and let's not get started on the wishlist threads. Well done everybody here, by comparison!

I must say that I don't personally like how everbody is speculating on what the new region is supposedly based on (though as a moderator I'm fine with the discussion staying here). For one, people seem to expect carbon copies, that the region will be just as much Spain/Italy/England/Hawaii as Kalos was France. I rather think it will borrow some elements, but they're not required to carbon-copy all the geographic features. They would probably pick fire truck colours and vehicle license plates to suit the pallette of the surroundings, rather than basing them on what is used in the country the region is inspired by. Nor do they have to make Poké-Italy or Poké-England just because it's supposedly next to Poké-France. People are strangely confident in their predictions, or believing rumours I can pretty much guarantee to be baseless, even though we've been told practically nothing. We've seen once scene, that's all. A still image to boot, if I'm not mistaken. Let's not jump to conclusions based on so little evidence.

Then I visited the Bulbagarden and Serebii forums and saw what everybody over there were extrapolating and the conclusions they were jumping too, and came to realize you guys here at Smogon are pretty reserved and restrained. There are ten-page threads of starter speculation, based on absolutely nothing whatsoever, and similar-sized ones about Legendaries speculation, and let's not get started on the wishlist threads. Well done everybody here, by comparison!
That's all there is to discuss though, isn't there?
They gave us virtually nothing except a wireframe of a bird, some water-hotel/resort/aquarium and some cars with Pokémon in them, all of which have been talked about to death.

Oh, and the bomb of RBY compatibility with SM, but Gen I's TM list isn't too spectacular for it to change much.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That's all there is to discuss though, isn't there?
They gave us virtually nothing except a wireframe of a bird, some water-hotel/resort/aquarium and some cars with Pokémon in them, all of which have been talked about to death.
Exactly. Yet many seem to want to pretend we got a lot more, jumping on every unfounded rumour or baseless speculation, or spinning elaborate stories and explanations out of every minuscule little detail from the trailer. In here, we try to separate facts from fiction, and when there are few facts to discuss, we shouldn't turn to finction just for the sake of keeping discussion alive. At least not without some disclaimers or reservations. We have a blurry exterior shot of a building and the wireframe of a bird. That's it. All there is. We can make some deductions or observations, but once we start sketching up floor plans for the Poké-Leaning Tower in Poké-Pisa because the next region is bound to be Poké-Italy since we didn't see the southern part of Poké-France, we've gone way too far. There are, evidently, other forums out there which will gladly host such speculation, but we don't do fanfiction at Smogon. Maybe some sub-forum of Smeargle's Studio has a place for that, but in OI, let's stick to what we know for sure, okay?

My problem with this twit convo is that it's in August, have to believe that development for SM began before that. The photos from Barcelona date earlier. This is really weak either way because Masuda traveled across the globe promoting ORAS last year.

The fire truck color isn't that strong of evidence for Hawaii either because there are yellow fire trucks in Spain and other places in the world. Not everyone can see Red, about 10% of the population can't.
So what if it is in august? He might be doing a second or third trip there :P . We don't don't know what he was doing in Hawaii but we do know what he was doing in Spain he even posted extensively about it in his blog. This trips are meant to be secrets so the more we know about what he did in someplace the less likely it is that location is the one the new games will be based on. I'm not saying that it is Hawaii, the fact we have an indication it is, might be a reason to believe it it not based there.

Also almost all cultures have mythology around the sun and moon so I think that argument is invalid to support any hypothesis.

\o/ yay for not being the worst

so far they have copied a lot of thegeographic and cultural features of the regions they have based their games on. that's why Pokecenters/marts, houses building and music change with every region. So I think it is fair to consider the color of the firetruck and the style of the new pokemon center haha.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world

Exactly. Yet many seem to want to pretend we got a lot more, jumping on every unfounded rumour or baseless speculation, or spinning elaborate stories and explanations out of every minuscule little detail from the trailer. In here, we try to separate facts from fiction, and when there are few facts to discuss, we shouldn't turn to finction just for the sake of keeping discussion alive. At least not without some disclaimers or reservations. We have a blurry exterior shot of a building and the wireframe of a bird. That's it. All there is. We can make some deductions or observations, but once we start sketching up floor plans for the Poké-Leaning Tower in Poké-Pisa because the next region is bound to be Poké-Italy since we didn't see the southern part of Poké-France, we've gone way too far. There are, evidently, other forums out there which will gladly host such speculation, but we don't do fanfiction at Smogon. Maybe some sub-forum of Smeargle's Studio has a place for that, but in OI, let's stick to what we know for sure, okay?

Might as well lock the thread then because there isn't much else to discuss based on these standards. All we can do is theorize on the slivers of info we have. I never declared my guesses were correct but I do believe they're good guesses.

Also almost all cultures have mythology around the sun and moon so I think that argument is invalid to support any hypothesis.
Yes but not all of them can link to elements in XY.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Might as well lock the thread then because there isn't much else to discuss based on these standards. All we can do is theorize on the slivers of info we have. I never declared my guesses were correct but I do believe they're good guesses.
I don't think that's necessary. The thread hasn't gotten anywhere near to Serebii Forums levels of stupid guessing, plus it doubles as a place to post general news.

Last edited:
I don't think that's necessary. The thread hasn't gotten anywhere near to Serebii Forums levels of stupid guessing, plus it doubles as place to post general news.
I don't want to, but if the guessing is being discouraged by the mod and the only other type of conversation going on is the treatment of Flygon & Exploud what else is there to do? They've lock news threads for years and reopen them when there's new information.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does the thing on the blueprint at 7 to 8 seconds look an awfully lot like Lysandre's weapon/AZ's Floette flower?

I'm a little bugged about the fact that they withheld Magearna's type from her initial reveal. It's not quite like Sylveon, where they made a big deal about figuring out what type it was, but Sylveon's case is also very unique, since it's a component of Eevee's evolution gimmick and it was the only Gen6 Pokémon that was an evolution of a preexisting species.

It's way too early, but I'm developing some trust issues with GameFreak and I can't help but over-speculate like a jealous girlfriend about every little detail.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
What's up with the purple sorta mega symbol?
Oh ya... I didn't notice it initially.
I wonder what it was.
Maybe they will separate the exisiting Megas into different types of Megas?
Because that Alakazam is defintiely a Mega right? Not some new mechanism.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Oh ya... I didn't notice it initially.
I wonder what it was.
Maybe they will separate the exisiting Megas into different types of Megas?
Because that Alakazam is defintiely a Mega right? Not some new mechanism.
Both the Alakazam and the Glalie turn into their correct Mega's. I assume it may be some "tainted/forced" mega evolution as opposed to "natural" mega evolution? Purple is usually a baddy kind of colour.

Bram316 Looks like it's the mechanism for the dress imo

Sun Mega Mode and Moon Mega Mode? So, the purple is for the moon. That would be interesting and a step beyond beyond but I have my doubts. Probably what DHR-107 said. Maybe something involving possession too.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Remember what I said about GF doing research trips to the location the new games are based on? Well apparently he was in Hawaii last year :O

Maybe this supports the idea some people had that the new games will be based on Hawaii

https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/630571143653560321
Sorry to burst the bubble, but I don't think so.
Masuda frequented in Shanghai, London and France this year.
He did not regularly visit Hawaii this year. He made at least 3 trips to Shanghai though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)