CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Reflections, Opinions, and Closing

Are You Satisfied with how the First "Create A Pokemon" Turned Out?

• Yeah, I felt it was handled really well

Votes: 147 42.5%
  • Well, it was alright, but a few changes need to be made

Votes: 106 30.6%
  • No, I hated it

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • I really liked it, but I think the pokemon is broken, so I'm going to be stupid and say no

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • "Create A Pokemon?"

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Since AA still hasn't responded to my PM, I feel it's safe to say that we're either waiting on Doug's server, or for someone with PokeSav to hack Syclant into the game, then distribute it to everyone interested in using it.
I've written original AR hacks for lots of Pokemon games. Getting Syclant into any version of Pokemon game is going to be a hella difficult task. Yes, you could replace a game sprite, and some name info. But, that's just cosmetic. Since Syclant's typing is unique, there's no easy way to get that in. I've never seen a typing hack in any version of pokemon, but I've never looked for one specifically. The movesets would have to be hacked directly onto an individual pokemon. That's easy, but it won't have level up learnsets or anything. It's virtually impossible to hack Mountaineer into the game. All of this is compounded by the fact that the memory map for D/P still hasn't been distributed out on the internet. There are people who have this data, but they are keeping it very private, so far. Until that leaks, I can't imagine Syclant being successfully hacked into D/P.

If the Shoddy folks are not responding, then it is up to us. Which I guess means me -- since I seem to be the only Java programmer actively participating in this thing. I'll start digging in on creating a mod server. Be patient everyone, this could take some time to work through. If I start making meaningful progress, I'll probably create a new discussion thread to give updates and organize play-testing.

While you're at it you could also theoretically add in the other sets of base stats posted by Hyra etc. for Syclant and give them alternate sprites from the art that wasn't used, so that there might be different versions of Syclant available. It might be interesting to see if one type of Syclant is more broken than another for metagame purposes.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've written original AR hacks for lots of Pokemon games. Getting Syclant into any version of Pokemon game is going to be a hella difficult task. Yes, you could replace a game sprite, and some name info. But, that's just cosmetic. Since Syclant's typing is unique, there's no easy way to get that in. I've never seen a typing hack in any version of pokemon, but I've never looked for one specifically. The movesets would have to be hacked directly onto an individual pokemon. That's easy, but it won't have level up learnsets or anything. It's virtually impossible to hack Mountaineer into the game. All of this is compounded by the fact that the memory map for D/P still hasn't been distributed out on the internet. There are people who have this data, but they are keeping it very private, so far. Until that leaks, I can't imagine Syclant being successfully hacked into D/P.

If the Shoddy folks are not responding, then it is up to us. Which I guess means me -- since I seem to be the only Java programmer actively participating in this thing. I'll start digging in on creating a mod server. Be patient everyone, this could take some time to work through. If I start making meaningful progress, I'll probably create a new discussion thread to give updates and organize play-testing.
I remember there was a hacking pack called EliteMap for Ruby/Sapphire roms, and it let you change ANY pokémon's Base stats, gender ratio, trait (you couldn't create a new one, though), typing, Pokédex text, wild location, sprite, sound and moves (the last one was kinda difficult to do). I don't know if there is any EliteMap version for the DS games, though.

I thought this was kinda cool, and although I didn't get a chance to participate in all the polls, I did when I could. I don't know what anyone plans to do with this, but I thought someone mentioned, "sending it to Nintendo".

With the next one, I think we should be a little more neutral in deciding it's power. Why not make a UU Pokemon (that wouldn't be shoved into BL)? I think it would have the best chance to actually get into a game, if it was a little less noticeable.

I think we should eliminate the types we just did from the polls until we come back around give every type a fair chance to shine.For example the next poll shouldn't include ice or bug and if the poke is fire/psychic type those are taken out of the next poll and that will continue on and on until situation where you have use those types again.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Going on about the hacking thing. Even if we did magically hack the pokemon into our games, it'd only be programmed into our respective cartridge. What happens when you throw it out against someone who doesn't have access to this data? :(

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Going on about the hacking thing. Even if we did magically hack the pokemon into our games, it'd only be programmed into our respective cartridge. What happens when you throw it out against someone who doesn't have access to this data? :(
Their game explodes.

Seriously, I believe they see the pokémon Syclant took place. So, if you program it in the place of Mewtwo, the opponent will see a Mewtwo called Syclant, with the sound of Mewtwo, but with the stats of Syclant (NOT Base Stats) and its moves. I'm not sure about the typing, though.

And what was decided about the pre-evo's name, avatar, Syclant's cry and japanese name, etc etc...?

Their game explodes.

Seriously, I believe they see the pokémon Syclant took place. So, if you program it in the place of Mewtwo, the opponent will see a Mewtwo called Syclant, with the sound of Mewtwo, but with the stats of Syclant (NOT Base Stats) and its moves. I'm not sure about the typing, though.

And what was decided about the pre-evo's name, avatar, Syclant's cry and japanese name, etc etc...?
Sylar, either KoA or Cyzir is making it, cry was determined to be to much work on the part of KoA, who here speaks Japanese and writes in Kanji(?).

That should sum it up. Also, we will replace Bidoof with Syclant, not Mewtwo.

Sylar, either KoA or Cyzir is making it, cry was determined to be to much work on the part of KoA, who here speaks Japanese and writes in Kanji(?).

That should sum it up. Also, we will replace Bidoof with Syclant, not Mewtwo.
"Congratulations! Your SYCLANT evolved into BIBAREL!"

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure about hacking it into my game cart, but it would definatly be interesting to see on a mod'd shoddy server.

It does seem a tad broken though. Seriously, STAB Ice and Bug attacks (both are pretty good attacking types), 121 base speed and 114/117 base attacks?

I'm not sure about hacking it into my game cart, but it would definatly be interesting to see on a mod'd shoddy server.

It does seem a tad broken though. Seriously, STAB Ice and Bug attacks (both are pretty good attacking types), 121 base speed and 114/117 base attacks?
Azelf is 75/125/70/125/70/115. Plus he has a 4x weakness to rock/fire type attacks. if compound eyes.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, but Syclant outruns Azelf, and actually has a workable physical movepool (unlike Azelf, who gets U-Turn, Explosion, Return and Natural Gift)

This obviously isn't the topic for debate, I'm just expressing what I think about the whole thing.

lolno

This thing is far from Uber material.
No one uses Manaphy in ubers, from what I know, so it doesn't matter if it's uber material or not, it depends on whether or not it's OU material. I personally think it would be broken, or at least on every other team (a lot of us hate those types of Pokes...). Next time, I hope the Pokemon has some considerable obstacles to balance out it's base stat distribution, like how Azelf lacks a physical movepool. The typing could be something cool like Normal/Ghost Banette, but kill it in a certain stat/give it a worthless ability, etc. I think there's a reason that this is left to "professionals", but it's fun to do. I'm personally laughing at the idea of a Shoddy Scylant server (less because it's a stupid Pokemon, and more because it crosses boundaries. And next thing you know, we'll have Marriland making something retarded and asking for it to be added), but again, it's sorta fun. Fakemon ftw. It looks pretty professional. Reminds me of the fakemon people came up with while DP was still in speculation. :P Gullible people.

Edit: @tennisace: Again, it doesn't matter how well it will do in ubers, just how well it would do in OU. "One wrong prediction" kills most Pokemon, and about the Stone Edge switch-in, c'mon. We assume that people are generally smart, you can't argue using that kind of noob as an example. :P I don't know if it would be uber, but it would be one of those annoyingly powerful OU Pokes with use in ubers (freakin' Bug and Ice STAB how would this not end up being used in ubers either way, whether banned or standard?).

@1059860: Ugh, I didn't mean it wasn't too good for OU, it's just not commonly used in ubers compared to beasts like Arceus.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
how is this too broken? granted it has amazing stats and good stabs, but one wrong prediction and this thing is charbroiled. or even worse, some noob complains because he didnt realize that he was running compound eyes, he switched into a stone edge and immediately proceeded to be swept by a ttar. i agree we need to test this, but imo its not exclusively uber. it may do well in ubers, but then again, so do a few uu grass pokes.

Manaphy is definitely uber. With Kyogre, it heals with 1 Rest and wakes up with Hydration in rain, then tail glows + kill.

IggyBot

!battle
Lol, we're arguing theorymon over a pokemon that doesn't even really exist in the game, only in this topic.

We decided asking GF for a new moves as well as a new pokemon and ability would be too much. And that move is too broken with 135 base and 20% hax rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)