np: UU - A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Stop it. No. You're doing it wrong.

I'm getting really, really annoyed of people who want things banned less than 24 hours into the game. The people that compare to UU and go "this is too much", the people constantly going on and on about every threat and saying it's broken. They're not even bothering to pack it up, they're hyping, they're completely and utterly missing the point of this entire fucking test and just going "it's broken" "it's too much" without considering anything at all. Maybe your team is shitty and doesn't have a counter or anything for it.

But above all, stop saying things are broken one day into the test. You're undermining the whole process and ruining _everything_ by doing so. You don't know what you're talking about and you're jumping the gun.
First, quit acting like a 15 yr old girl. I've been on the ladder for almost 4 hours now so I think I know what I'm talking about. Also during those four hours, I lost 4 times. I don't think I shitty team would go for four hours and only lose 4 times. Another thing, I used 4 different teams with all 24 different pokemon so don't tell me I miss the point of the test. I'm syaing this based on my own personal experiences, I'm not just typing it. I just think that there's certain combinations of pokemon that make a team too powerfull for UU, which would composed of some pokemon I said above. Comparing some of the stats and movepool of the newly added UU is far superior to our old UUs. I don't see any Venosaurs, Poliwraths, Clefables, Toxicroaks like I used to see before. My old UU team did just fine agains't the new additions so I encourage people not to forget about the old UUs.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Tennisace, try Shedinja. It's not a "ridiculous" gimmick for just one threat either, it reliably switches in to many bulky waters (especially Slowbro) without Toxic and predicted Choicers. I've also had success with forcing switches from most variants of Registeel and Uxie, and if you ever see Regice or Chansey, they will also run. Thunder Wave doesn't particularily harm it with Shadow Sneak and naturally low speed either, and I suppose can even protect against damaging status like Toxic and Burn.

Yes, I'm probably going to get flamed and shot down, but I encourage everyone to just give it a try. :P With the proper anti-entry hazard support.
Not to shoot you down, but I considered and passed it up. While it DOES do all you say it does, the way my team plays is I let them get up SR as a free turn for me to do something. I really wish there was some fast Taunter like Azelf, but the closest I come is Electrode. I know it's UU, but I keep yearning for OU Pokemon =P.

@Babosow: It's too early for this kind of squabble, Chris is right. 4 hours is almost nothing really, considering this is a 2.5 month test. Come back in a week or so after you've played the ladder more than 4 hours. I'm not saying this in a derogatory way, I just think it's way too early to call for bans when the ladder just started today. If you really think Slaking is all that broken, abuse it and prove it instead of whining about it and letting it beat you.

First, quit acting like a 15 yr old girl.
lol

I've been on the ladder for almost 4 hours now so I think I know what I'm talking about.
Four hours really is nothing. It took about 8 months for SD Yache Garchomp to become popular and more for Dual Screen Deoxys-S. You really can't judge what is broken in a matter of four hours.

Also during those four hours, I lost 4 times. I don't think I shitty team would go for four hours and only lose 4 times. Another thing, I used 4 different teams with all 24 different pokemon so don't tell me I miss the point of the test.
The initial portion of the test runs for 2.5 months and not for four hours for a reason. You ARE missing the point and using 4 good teams doesn't suddenly make you understand the point of it.

I'm syaing this based on my own personal experiences, I'm not just typing it. I just think that there's certain combinations of pokemon that make a team too powerfull for UU, which would composed of some pokemon I said above.
Four hours is hardly enough to judge how powerful is too powerful. See: Garchomp and Deoxys-S.

Comparing some of the stats and movepool of the newly added UU is far superior to our old UUs. I don't see any Venosaurs, Poliwraths, Clefables, Toxicroaks like I used to see before. My old UU team did just fine agains't the new additions so I encourage people not to forget about the old UUs.
This is exactly the kind of thinking we're trying to discourage. Get rid of the mindset that is "old UU". Everything in this list is UU right now, nothing more, nothing less.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with Darkie and many others that people need to get out of the "Old UU" mindset. I mean, what do you expect when 50 or so BLs are moved down? Also, Old UU is never going to exist again, unless by some miracle chance everything overpowers New UU. I think Rotom-A should be uber, as it makes people forget about using Spiritomb! I mean seriously, if you stick with the Old UU mindset, you're already missing the point of the test.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
zorbees is my new favorite user.

I intentionally did not play UU for the last 6 months and told people not to play it until the update, to get rid of any preconceived notions of "what ought to be viable". This is an entirely different metagame. I kind of wish this test corresponded with a tier name change or something, so that people wouldn't get confused and use bad teams of all "old uu" Pokémon and complain when they get swept.

By the way, Hariyama is a top tier UU tank. Use it.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
Lol, that's what lurking for about 6 months does, mostly due to the stupid activation emails. And having ideas very similar to yours. But yeah, I can't stress enough how different New UU and Old UU are. It makes me want the tiers to change names just to help people not think of it as UU. I just hope the Skymin vote isn't replicated like 20 times in 2.5 months when the BLs come up.

Agreed, we are going to be voting quite a bit, and I would hate to see good pokes stuck back in BL because they were too frustrating to handle. Hopefully, these votes will be handled a bit better then the Skymin one was.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doug's mentioned this before: Are we willing to accept a balanced metagame without banning anything in the new UU? I don't think we are. Currently this thread seems more like a witch hunt than a testing thread; people are itching for the Pokemon that give them troubles to be banned. But for what? Just because they can't handle them? People came into the test with the mindset that this was basically BL with a few NFEs mixed in, and that's all it would ever be. Some people figured most of the BLs would prove broken, and we would be left with the Old UU plus a couple. Theorymon only goes so far, and at the moment I think that accounting for all the drastic settling that has to be done, we're pretty balanced at the moment. There isn't any one Pokemon dominating, as most of the top tier Pokemon check each other in one way or another. The metagame is more balanced than you think in my opinion, and I would be just as happy with a small to non-existant BL and a fairly large UU as a medium BL with a medium UU. I guess BL/UU really was a playable metagame after all, who knew?

Agreed, we are going to be voting quite a bit, and I would hate to see good pokes stuck back in BL because they were too frustrating to handle. Hopefully, these votes will be handled a bit better then the Skymin one was.
It may or may not be. They're will be less people doing this ladder so less voters, but it's also really easy to slap up a team of 4 choice users and 2 CMers and meet the requirements

@ace: Yeah, this metagame is actually very surprisingly balanced, there are checks to all the top threats be them choice users or stat uppers. Like Galade, who is countered by Slowbro, who is countered by Mismagus, who is countered by Spiritomb and so on and so forth

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
Agree with tennis about the witchhunt idea, but that's not my main reason to post right now.

Regarding the voting process, can the tiered voting process be implemented? Unless I misread, I only read about the 1655/65 requirement. I don't understand why Suspect Test votes would be tiered while these wouldn't, unless it has something to do with the fact that this is testing multiple suspects at once.

cim

I actually think that the Suspect Test should be done like this rather than the other way around. Anyway, there will likely be a "suspect free uu" metagame in 1.5 months, I think.

Some people figured most of the BLs would prove broken, and we would be left with the Old UU plus a couple.
This isn't directed at you; I'd simply like to say that saying this is similar to saying most of OU is broken so we should ban all if it except for a couple of pokemon.

cim

Your post is vague enough that it could be taken in many ways, but they're all as wrong as possible

If you mean "most of OU is broken so we should ban them from BL" then you don't get how BL isn't a balanced tier.

If you think we're banning OU from UU because they are too strong, then you don't understand how tiers work at all and should stop debating them. UU by definition is "things not used much in OU", and BL is "things that would be UU but are broken in it".

the tl;dr version: You're wrong.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
Saying OU, a balanced tier, is broken, is similar to saying BL Pokemon, who were BL because they were thought to overpower UU, could be broken how?

tennisace

He said it was similar to it, I believe he was referring to an alternate metagame that used to be hyped around Stark banning most of OU. That was in response to saying that that is the attitude of many people on the ladder, ban the top and let the bottom have a chance.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just realized what the issue is with the new UU- It's pretty much Ubers if you toned everything down a touch and removed Giratina's weaknesses. You've got a ton of incredibly powerful sweepers combined with too few viable walls other than Spiritomb and Uxie, and it's really a ridiculously offensive metagame right now.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
An interesting thing i noted is that this new UU has included the NFEs though very few ppl use them.
Besides Chansey or a TR/DestinyBond Shuppet, i havent seen NFE action.
Im trying to use some NFEs to test them out and i gotta say, they do incredibly well.
Dusclops, IMO, is a Spiritomb with less Offensive and better Defenses (Also his shiny sprite looks epic xD)
Chansey, well what to say, the best special wall in UU (not counting a 3 CMs Spiritomb XP)
Grotle, This friend can come into a lot of physical things and since he doesnt have the ground type of Torterra he can come easier into Water attacks and non Stab Weak Ice attacks (For example from a Chansey or a Milotic in a more realistic scenario). Also he can setup Light Screen and Reflect, which is awesome!
Kadabra, Wow, its fast, powerful and has a good movepool. Specs version of Kadabra does serious damage.
Magmar, Scarf this friend and u got a fast heavy hitting Revenge Killer.
Bronzor, like Grotle, sets up screens, tricks, etc.
Gabite, Lolwut, Awesome if packed with a choice band (Choice Band outrage hurts a lot)

And my Favorite: Sneasel, this thing is EPIC, it can kill a whole team if used correctly (I wont reveal my Moveset cuz i dont want copiers >_>)

Thats it for now :P

I kind of wish this test corresponded with a tier name change or something, so that people wouldn't get confused and use bad teams of all "old uu" Pokémon and complain when they get swept.
this.

the terms OU, UU and NU are beginning to have less meaning with the change to UU. really, should be High, Mid and Low tiers (should a balanced "NU" tier ever be made) with the obligatory "i'm too awesome for my own damn good" tier known as Ubers. each tier would still have their own Standards and their own banlists, and their names would make a little more sense.

Doug's mentioned this before: Are we willing to accept a balanced metagame without banning anything in the new UU? I don't think we are. Currently this thread seems more like a witch hunt than a testing thread; people are itching for the Pokemon that give them troubles to be banned. But for what? Just because they can't handle them? People came into the test with the mindset that this was basically BL with a few NFEs mixed in, and that's all it would ever be. Some people figured most of the BLs would prove broken, and we would be left with the Old UU plus a couple. Theorymon only goes so far, and at the moment I think that accounting for all the drastic settling that has to be done, we're pretty balanced at the moment. There isn't any one Pokemon dominating, as most of the top tier Pokemon check each other in one way or another. The metagame is more balanced than you think in my opinion, and I would be just as happy with a small to non-existant BL and a fairly large UU as a medium BL with a medium UU. I guess BL/UU really was a playable metagame after all, who knew?
Yes, I wholly agree with you. It would be absolutely fantastic if we had a metagame where nothing was overpowering or centralizing. However, some people here seem to be determined to ban something. I don't know why, just for the sake of it?

It's very frustrating. People just like banning things, and I can't figure out why. I don't care if I find a Raikou, Spiritomb, Milotic, etc. hard to beat. I just adjust my team, or use them.

Even if we get the usage statistics, and the game is so balanced that the 'OUs of UU' total up to 100 Pokemon, and the top OU UU only has double the usages of the bottom OU UU, and all the statistical analysis show that the metagame is very diverse, I'm sure people will still want things banned.

We should be banning as little as possible, and correct me if I'm wrong, but, we get to begin the NU tier if there are no suspects for the UU tier in April?

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quick question, if we're going to vote for "suspects", is it going to be bold voting this time?

Back to the topic.

It's very frustrating. People just like banning things, and I can't figure out why. I don't care if I find a Raikou, Spiritomb, Milotic, etc. hard to beat. I just adjust my team, or use them.
Agree with SHUCKLE MAN here. I was on the ladder for an hour, and in that hour I met 9 Raikou, of which 8 were the CM/Sub variants. I don't exactly have counters, but I got by. Most of the suspects aren't broken for this tier.

I played old UU, and I noticed that some old UUs are still effective. With all the preperation for Milotic and Gallade, people seem to have forgotten about the sweeping powers of Sharpedo. Or Froslass.

All those who are still thinking about the old UU and comparing them to all the BLs dropping down, and then calling them suspects, don't. That would defeat the very purpose of this test.

I've actually seen a few Froslass and Hitmontop, but not much else from the flawed UU to be honest.

What annoys me is the people who won't use them because they weren't BL before, and also, those who try and force others to use them, just because they were UU.

I think we just need to try and forget about the old tiers, and also forget about in-game features. The fact that Shaymin and Regigigas are legendaries, or the fact that Chansey evolves into Blissey has absolutely no effect on their performance in competitive battling whatsoever. I think it's quite pathetic that people hate Raikou and Registeel, just because they're legendaries, and that people hate Chansey, just because it isn't fully evolved. I know Chansey is overrated, but going around saying it's absolutely useless is not good, because it simply isn't true.

People just need to forget about all this. We can use Steelix, Leafeon, and Sharpedo even if they used to be UU, we can use Sneasel, Wynaut, Dusclops, Chansey and Mangeton, even if they can evolve, we can use Entei and Phione, even if they have a different in-game status, because, guess what? It doesn't matter.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, people will always have a bias towards certain things. Look at the Skymin vote. Speaking of which, is it going to be bold voting this time?

I think it's just bold voting to nominate the suspects, and then a standard poll will be put up for each one in the voting forum. Or I think that's what will happen.

And the Skymin vote was embarrasing for me, as I told everyone it'd be OU by a landslide.

cim

I believe some badged member council (read: not us) decides suspects and a bold voting esque system gets them banned.

SHUCKLE MAN, don't worry, we all thought it should have been :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)