Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I can. Hacked pokemon gets traded to you, causes you to fail the hack check if you advance far enough for them to bother checking you.
I have already thought of this. I don't think it would be too difficult to bring a hack checker and a flash cart to check said Pokemon. I can't see it being more than a dozen anyway, so checking them would take a fairly minimal amount of time, whilst reproducing them would be much quicker.

edit: if you want, I can probably stay in Camden the night before to go over this some more in practice. I would do this for sure but I'm fairly intimidated by the traffic going to King of Prussia.

This would be very good for us. We all have strong pokemon, so it would increase the odds of covering any weaknesses in any person's team. Also, those who don't get in can be used as reconnaissance to spot possible opposing teams. Just as TTS said, it is possible for one person to "infect" everybody else's games with hacked pokemon. That's why we should have someone hack check our pokemon prior to the registration. Also, everybody has to go by the honor system and use pokemon they bred themselves from pokemon that were caught in their own unhacked games. And we better arrive very early, as the registration starts at 8:30 A.M. for seniors. 8 A.M. meeting time guys?

This could really get us all disqualified. We couldnt look indentical or tell EVERYBODY we battled that we're from smogon. I.E someone saying "Yeah I saw another guy from Smogon over there". Smogon will spread and people will start eyeing us asking us a lot of questions. I really dont see how one person could spy on your opponent's team and tell you. You'd kind of have to be out to tell of the person's team. Also there is NO POSSIBLE way we could "infect" other games without ours already being infected and besides they'd probably an organizer "That guy from Smogon traded me a hacked pokemon before the finals. We'd all get disqualified..

That could be a cause. I think we should be able to use more than 6 pokemon, or better stated; have more than 2 subs. I'd like to use a different team after a few rounds(if i was winning). A team that doesn't necessarily counter the opponent's next team, just has an advantage if the ChampionShip Metagame was kind of revolved around a certain 4-6pokemon.

Are you serious? Chicago's got Navy Pier, one of the best places in the area to hold one of these and also where JAA was held several years ago, yet I still have to drive down to St. Louis?

Jacob Javitz center in NY is pretty nice too but yeah no luck. maybe because the auto show is going to be there soon

This could really get us all disqualified. We couldnt look indentical or tell EVERYBODY we battled that we're from smogon. I.E someone saying "Yeah I saw another guy from Smogon over there". Smogon will spread and people will start eyeing us asking us a lot of questions. I really dont see how one person could spy on your opponent's team and tell you. You'd kind of have to be out to tell of the person's team. Also there is NO POSSIBLE way we could "infect" other games without ours already being infected and besides they'd probably an organizer "That guy from Smogon traded me a hacked pokemon before the finals. We'd all get disqualified..
Wow, you're pretty right. It seems that having someone else look at opponents' teams, according to you, can get us as a group in trouble. However, we still can look ourselves individually, as nowhere in the rules does it explicitly ban looking at opponents teams. They even had a TV last year at one table. When I was talking about "infecting" other game carts, I was saying if one of us meeting before the event didn't go by the honor system and brought hacked pokemon, we'd all get infected. Also, you can't get in trouble for trading a hacked pokemon to as person, as it's their fault for not knowing if the pokemon they received. PUI even says in the rules that "Players found to have Pokémon that have been tampered with will be disqualified from the event, regardless of whether the player tampered with his or her game or received a Pokémon or item that was tampered with by someone other than the player. It is the player’s responsibility to have legal Pokémon." So the best way to avoid us getting in trouble for hacks is to have our 6 (each person) pokemon hack checked, and to only have those pokemon traded amongst only ourselves.

That could be a cause. I think we should be able to use more than 6 pokemon, or better stated; have more than 2 subs. I'd like to use a different team after a few rounds(if i was winning). A team that doesn't necessarily counter the opponent's next team, just has an advantage if the ChampionShip Metagame was kind of revolved around a certain 4-6pokemon.
If the metagame was based on a certain 4-6 pokemon, the later locations like Philadelphia (the most popular) and Nashville are going to be at an advantage. Besides, we already know that Metagross, Snorlax, Gyarados, Latios, and Cresselia are some of the most overused doubles pokemon

The region-specific game thing is ridiculous. I understand they don't want foreign language games to be used as a tactic, but US/UK? Looks like I'm going to have to buy a UK version game just for the event, unless I can find someone to borrow from. Grrr....
My japanese Platinum box says on the back
Not for use outside of Japan. Yeah, i think that's why

Are you serious? Chicago's got Navy Pier, one of the best places in the area to hold one of these and also where JAA was held several years ago, yet I still have to drive down to St. Louis?
I'm going to have to agree with this one. I only live about 40 minutes from Navy Pier. There are a thousand viable locations to host the event in the area, but no...

That being said though, I don't think I could muster myself to go to an official Pokemon tournament. I've gone to a Gamestop tourney, but that was only 5 minutes away. It's cool to read about you guys doing it and succeeding, but I don't think I feel like traveling just to play a videogame. I wouldn't do it for any other game (not even Madden, Halo, or Rock Band).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm really not trying to sound mean or anything. Maybe it's just because I'm new, but...why do many of you sound like there's some kind of conspiracy against *gasp* 0.0 SMOGONERS!!! Like you don't want anyone to say that they're from Smogon.

I mean really, why would Nintendo care about some pokemon fansite? They're a HUGE company that produces hundreds and hundreds of games.

Not being stupid. Juuuust curious.

Thanks!

I'm really not trying to sound mean or anything. Maybe it's just because I'm new, but...why do many of you sound like there's some kind of conspiracy against *gasp* 0.0 SMOGONERS!!! Like you don't want anyone to say that they're from Smogon.

I mean really, why would Nintendo care about some pokemon fansite? They're a HUGE company that produces hundreds and hundreds of games.

Thanks!
I don't really think the negative feedback is from Nintendo, but rather from other sites. I know Serebii and Gfaq's consider us a bunch of stuck up, OU-addicted grammar Nazis.

Thanks!
Well, as the previous poster said, most sites think we are too competitive and that weare unfair in that we "control" the tier system. Aslo, we should be afraid to say irl that we are from smogon, or Nintendo will find out, and there might be another conspiracy like skarm's JAA conspiracy theory states.

Anyone in Ontario want to carpool for this? I don't drive but I'll pitch a lot for gas (at least 50%).

Otherwise, I'll be going to Phoenix most likely (if I have to fly might as well make it a worthwhile trip).

haha my brother owns in the junior competition with his magicarp im gonna have to go to the one in san francisco :p DO U STILL GET MILOTIC IF U DONT GET CHOSEN?

I'm really tempted to go to the SF one but I don't know if I can whip up a decent team in one month's time. Looks like one has to win 5 matches in a row to make it to Nationals.

anyone have the thread with the championship practice? either that or send me a pm if your interested

Plat FC: 1376 3302 1363

I am 100% sure that I will make the trip from Kalamazoo, MI to Nashville.

There is a 75% chance as of now that I'll go to Philly as well. If anyone in the Great Lakes region wants to catch a ride with me somewhere along my journey (or drive to Indiana/Ohio from further out west) and ride with me, let me know.

This very well may surpass Smocon 2009 in numbers!
wanna come up to A2 and pick me up first?

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A road trip for a shiny milotic is the least to expect. I can imagine that if someone that got carpooled for the ride got in while the driver did not then that could get very intriguing.

I'd go to the London one on May 30th, but its an hour drive away and I think you need a UK copy of platinum. Man I'd just go there, get the Milotic and then claim I didn't know that it was Uk Plat only lol
The 1 hour drive isnt to much, when, say you travel 300+ miles which i have to do. But yeah, you should go for the shiny milotic lol. Hopefully the signal can reach your game lol.

I really wanna go to this. I don't think Nashville looks too good for me so I might have to go straight to Nationals. Anyone in the Chicago area planning on making these trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)